Hey Bla1ze.

I've been trying to solve the problem of Link not fully functioning on the latest version of Windows 10 Home 64 bit edition (not connecting to my device & not being able to do a device backup). I am using a Z30 running the latest official version of 10.3.3. My problems were with Link only & only started after I updated the Z30's OS to 10.3.3. Blend was working great even after the update to the 10.3.3 OS. Let me say now that Link & Blend were working just fine on Windows 10 Anniversary before the 10.3.3 update. BB support tells me their desktop software is not supported on Windows 10 & is no help whatsoever. Additionally, I'm aware of iTunes causing a problem but I do not have any Apple software on my system.

But I've just come across a new problem though that hopefully someone here knows something about. After I uninstalled & deleted all remaining items related to BlackBerry & RIM using Revo Uninstaller & CCleaner free versions, I tried to install the BlackBerry 10 Desktop Software package (Drivers, Link & Blend) from BB's website. When I attempt to install the software, I get an error message that states:
    "An error occurred during the installation of the software. You must restart your computer for a previous installation before you install this software."

I have restarted the computer several times but have still not been able to get the BB software installed. So then I connected my Z30 to the computer via USB. The option showed up on my Z30 that BB drivers were not found so I selected the option to install the software directly from my Z30. I was able to successfully install the drivers, Link & Blend by doing it that way, however it apparently is not the most recent versions of the desktop software because Blend tells me I need to update to the lastest version by going to BlackBerry Blend – Desktop Software for BlackBerry - EN - United States. I was able to connect to Link but was not able to complete a backup. It tells me basically to make sure my device is turned on & connected. So when I go to BB's website to download & install the latest desktop software, once again I get the error:
    "An error occurred during the installation of the software. You must restart your computer for a previous installation before you install this software."

I'm at a complete loss on this & pulling my hair out trying to figure out what the problem is. I've spent so many wasted hours trying to find a solution to this. Do you have any insight on the error & how to workaround it?
    03-27-17 04:36 PM
    As I'm not a Windows user and haven't been for a long time, I haven't had to deal with personally but what I do know what you know already, Link isn't compatible with Windows 10, and there's a lot of weird issues that arise from using it.

To make matters even worse. BlackBerry 10.3.3 seems to not play nicely with Link at all and many folks have reported everything work fine with Link and Windows 10 UNTIL they updated to 10.3.3, so if you're on 10.3.3 that might also be adding to the issue you're seeing.

Where you have Link installed now and there's seemingly a problem with the existing installation, I would try using the Link installer (not Revo or CC Uninstaller) to actually uninstall Link, and then try again and see how that works out.
    03-27-17 06:11 PM
    Thanks for your reply. I've already uninstalled Link, Blend & all BlackBerry Drivers using a Microsoft Fix it tool & have removed all remaining BlackBerry & RIM related files using CCleaner & Revo Uninstaller. So now there's no BlackBerry related files on my PC that I'm aware of. When I attempt to install a fresh copy of BlackBerry 10 Desktop Software it continues to give me the error message that I mentioned in my previous message.

I learned previously that the only way to get the software installed is to connect my Z30 with my PC via USB cable at which time it prompts me to install the software (which is not the latest version). When I've installed the software & then attempted to update it to the latest version, it gives me that same extract error.

It's really driving me up the wall not being able to get this software installed much less working now. Blend has been immensely useful to me & I'm now aware of any software that backs up my Z30 as thoroughly as Link does. If you can suggest an alternative to Link that does as complete of a job as Link does I'd appreciate it.

Posted via CB10 with my awesome  Z30 STA100-5/10.3.3.2163 on T-Mobile USA who keeps disrupting & improving the wireless industry.
    03-27-17 06:47 PM
    By the way & a bit off topic, I'm sure you're probably already aware that BlackBerry is shutting down it's Community Support Forums on April 1st, 2017. I just haven't seen a new article about it on CrackBerry yet.

"BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry."

Posted via CB10 with my awesome  Z30 STA100-5/10.3.3.2163 on T-Mobile USA who keeps disrupting & improving the wireless industry.
    03-27-17 06:53 PM
    By the way & a bit off topic, I'm sure you're probably already aware that BlackBerry is shutting down it's Community Support Forums on April 1st, 2017. I just haven't seen a new article about it on CrackBerry yet.
    Doesn't really require an article.. most people who frequent there, frequent here as well. - http://forums.crackberry.com/general...berry-1103911/

I mean, obviously, we knew about it a bit ahead of time.
    03-27-17 07:01 PM
    If you can suggest an alternative to Link that does as complete of a job as Link does I'd appreciate it.

Generally if LINK doesn't connect, neither will http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...-tools-956835/ , but you can give it a try.

For general backups, Firechest's Ultimate Backup from BBW is a great option.
    03-28-17 07:13 AM
    Thanks for your reply. I've already uninstalled Link, Blend & all BlackBerry Drivers using a Microsoft Fix it tool & have removed all remaining BlackBerry & RIM related files using CCleaner & Revo Uninstaller. So now there's no BlackBerry related files on my PC that I'm aware of. When I attempt to install a fresh copy of BlackBerry 10 Desktop Software it continues to give me the error message that I mentioned in my previous message.
    It looks like you have no choice but to grab the knife and enter in the Windows registry to clean things yourself.

In the command line type "regedit" and hit enter. First of all, do a backup just in case. Then, do a search for "blackberry", and start deleting all the results. After that, restart windows and before attemping to install Link, install the Blackberry Device Manager. Then, you go ahead and install Link and Blend.

That should do it.
    03-28-17 08:32 AM
    @ Dunt Dunt Dunt: Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into Darcy's tool. I already have Ultimate back up but it doesn't do as complete of a job as Link.

03-28-17 10:32 AM
    It looks like you have no choice but to grab the knife and enter in the Windows registry to clean things yourself.

In the command line type "regedit" and hit enter. First of all, do a backup just in case. Then, do a search for "blackberry", and start deleting all the results. After that, restart windows and before attemping to install Link, install the Blackberry Device Manager. Then, you go ahead and install Link and Blend.

That should do it.
    So this is probably an amateur question but how do I install BlackBerry Device Manager by itself & without installing Link & Blend?

03-28-17 10:34 AM
    There are two options. You can download it from Blackberry's site. Is version 8.0.
    Or you can plug your device via USB, and Windows will detect it like a storage drive, in which you will find the installer.

Posted vía CB10 with my Passport SE SQW100-4
    03-28-17 10:54 AM
    So this is probably an amateur question but how do I install BlackBerry Device Manager by itself & without installing Link & Blend?

If you download BlackBerry 10 Desktop Software - which is the complete package. You get, BLEND, LINK, DRIVERS. Can select which of those to install. BlackBerry Device Manager is an older desktop package that was used with BBOS and the PLAYBOOK.

I have BB10.3.3.2205 and Windows 10.16063 and the issue seems to be that Windows will not recognize the phone and use the BlackBerry drivers and tries to use generic Mass Storage Drivers which don't work.
    03-28-17 11:06 AM
    There are two options. You can download it from Blackberry's site. Is version 8.0.
    Or you can plug your device via USB, and Windows will detect it like a storage drive, in which you will find the installer.

Thanks!

03-28-17 11:14 AM
    If you download BlackBerry 10 Desktop Software - which is the complete package. You get, BLEND, LINK, DRIVERS. Can select which of those to install. BlackBerry Device Manager is an older desktop package that was used with BBOS and the PLAYBOOK.

I have BB10.3.3.2205 and Windows 10.16063 and the issue seems to be that Windows will not recognize the phone and use the BlackBerry drivers and tries to use generic Mass Storage Drivers which don't work.
    Thanks for sharing your insight. I tend to agree with you because of the fact that my Windows 10 PC can access my storage disks on my Z30 but Link wouldn't connect properly. Blend worked just fine. But after uninstalling everything I just can't get the most recent version of BlackBerry 10 Desktop Software installed due to the annoying error I mentioned in my first post in this thread.

03-28-17 11:19 AM
    You are confusing the old BlackBerry Desktop Manager with the BlackBerry Device Manager. The later is part of the Link package, in fact it comes with the 10.3 OS.
    My recommendation is to install it alone before doing the whole Link/Blend/Drivers installation. That fixed a weird set of problems I was having with my Passport and Link.

03-28-17 11:36 AM
    I just tried the steps you suggested earlier but it still doesn't let me install the latest software. I continue to get the same error message. In fact, the only way I could get the BlackBerry Device Manager software (drivers) installed was to connect my Z30 to my Windows 10 PC via USB cable. I only installed the drivers & not Link or Blend. (I already know from previous attempts with this method that I can install the entire package but it's not the most recent version of the software & that's where the problem begins for me. Not even the drivers are the most recent version. When trying to update the software with version 1.2.0.52_B59 found on BlackBerry's website, it begins to install & tells me that the Drivers, Blend & Link need to be updated. So when I select any of the pieces individually I get the same error message that I quoted in my first post.)
    I'm so fed up with this crap not working correctly! I know it can work correctly on Windows 10 because it was working correctly before the BlackBerry 10.3.3.2163 OS update. Something is really FUBAR here.
    03-28-17 12:38 PM
    You are confusing the old BlackBerry Desktop Manager with the BlackBerry Device Manager. The later is part of the Link package, in fact it comes with the 10.3 OS.
    My recommendation is to install it alone before doing the whole Link/Blend/Drivers installation. That fixed a weird set of problems I was having with my Passport and Link.

BlackBerry Device Manager was a separate program installed with the older Desktop Software, it allowed you interact with your phone for features like tethering. I don't know of any stand alone program used anymore.

As I said, and you mentioned, the current installation only offers LINK, BLEND and Drivers.

Dark Knight... I suggest you search a little on CrackBerry, this has been an ongoing issue for many. Some find fixes by making some changes to iTunes settings. Some have been able to completely uninstall all things BlackBerry - including registry entries, then reinstall. Looking at a number of threads might help you.

Others.... have simply found no solution.
    03-28-17 01:36 PM
    BlackBerry Device Manager was a separate program installed with the older Desktop Software, it allowed you interact with your phone for features like tethering. I don't know of any stand alone program used anymore.

As I said, and you mentioned, the current installation only offers LINK, BLEND and Drivers.
    Device Manager is included in the OS10 devices. I'm telling you for sure, cause when I plugged my Passport for the first time, it offered me on the device screen to install it.
    I'm not home now to show you, but trust me.

Even when I was using my Z30 Device Manager always gets installed whether you install link or not. It only manage the devices connected to the computer via USB or WiFi, and allows you to mount storage units (flash and sd)

03-28-17 01:46 PM

Dark Knight... I suggest you search a little on CrackBerry, this has been an ongoing issue for many. Some find fixes by making some changes to iTunes settings. Some have been able to completely uninstall all things BlackBerry - including registry entries, then reinstall. Looking at a number of threads might help you.

Others.... have simply found no solution.
    Thanks for the advice. I have actually been through the forums on Blackberry's site & here in Crackberry's site with a fine tooth comb. I've tried every "solution" I can find to fix my installation issue short of reloading Windows 10 on my PC which I'm avoiding. So I'm grasping at straws I guess. But I appreciate any suggestions as I'm no code writer or expert.

As for the BlackBerry Device Manager, it is indeed included in the BB10 OS software on BB10 devices & in the stand alone BlackBerry 10 Desktop Software package found on their website. I loaded the Device Manager by selecting only the Drivers portion for the install directly from my Z30. Installing from my Z30 is the only way I can get any of software installed on my PC at this point & it is not the most recent version of the software because it tells me to update it (which I can't because of the error message I'm getting when attempting to install the most recent version). Very frustrating! I've cleaned out the registry & everything BlackBerry & RIM related but it still doesn't install.

03-28-17 04:37 PM
    Device Manager is included in the OS10 devices. I'm telling you for sure, cause when I plugged my Passport for the first time, it offered me on the device screen to install it.
    I'm not home now to show you, but trust me.

Even when I was using my Z30 Device Manager always gets installed whether you install link or not. It only manage the devices connected to the computer via USB or WiFi, and allows you to mount storage units (flash and sd)

The BlackBerry Device Manager is indeed included in the BB10 OS software on BB10 devices & in the stand alone BlackBerry 10 Desktop Software package found on their website. I loaded the Device Manager by selecting only the Drivers portion for the install directly from my Z30. Installing from my Z30 is the only way I can get any of software installed on my PC at this point & it is not the most recent version of the software because it tells me to update it (which I can't because of the error message I'm getting when attempting to install the most recent version). Very frustrating! I've cleaned out the registry & everything BlackBerry & RIM related but it still doesn't install.

03-28-17 04:38 PM