Hi,

Bla1ze. I download Playstore by cobolt323 on my Blackberry Classic, now i want to enjoy the app from that the Google Playstore provide but i can't enjoy all of them because Services Google play won't install, saying "impossible to install this app" and it's like nothing have been done by cobolt to replace Services Google Play. Is there any alternative to it?

Posted via CB10
    03-18-19 01:23 PM
    Hi,

Bla1ze. I download Playstore by cobolt323 on my Blackberry Classic, now i want to enjoy the app from that the Google Playstore provide but i can't enjoy all of them because Services Google play won't install, saying "impossible to install this app" and it's like nothing have been done by cobolt to replace Services Google Play. Is there any alternative to it?

Posted via CB10
    All BB10 devices have an old android runtime (ver 4.3). This is a very limiting factor when it comes to installing and using Google Playstore apps. As time goes on, many if not most apps now require Android 5.0 as a minimum for the app to work. By installing the Cobalt solution, you are able to run older Playstore apps but this does NOT help you to run newer, updated apps. At this point all you can do is search for older app versions (if they exist even) and there is nothing else you can do. Each app in the Google Play Store lists the minimum requirements needed to install and run the app. You can check this for yourself in the app's description. If it needs a minimum greater than 4.3 then it's probably NOT going to work no matter what you do.

Alternative app stores such as APKmirror and APKpure will have older app versions which you can try.
    03-18-19 01:35 PM
    All BB10 devices have an old android runtime (ver 4.3). This is a very limiting factor when it comes to installing and using Google Playstore apps. As time goes on, many if not most apps now require Android 5.0 as a minimum for the app to work. By installing the Cobalt solution, you are able to run older Playstore apps but this does NOT help you to run newer, updated apps. At this point all you can do is search for older app versions (if they exist even) and there is nothing else you can do. Each app in the Google Play Store lists the minimum requirements needed to install and run the app. You can check this for yourself in the app's description. If it needs a minimum greater than 4.3 then it's probably NOT going to work no matter what you do.

Alternative app stores such as APKmirror and APKpure will have older app versions which you can try.
    Aww iit sucks. And why BlackBerry don't update BB10 ? There BlackBerry systems was a fail from the begin #smh

Posted via CB10
    03-18-19 01:38 PM
    @brookie229 When Android 5.0 was updated ? Which year?

Posted via CB10
    03-18-19 01:44 PM
    Aww iit sucks. And why BlackBerry don't update BB10 ? There BlackBerry systems was a fail from the begin #smh

Posted via CB10
    Yes it sucks... which is why they stopped making phones in 2015. As they were loosing billions on BB10 development.

Now probable the "right" thing to do would have been to destroy all the unsold BB10 devices, instead of unloading them on an unsuspecting market.
    03-18-19 01:58 PM

Posted via CB10
    In around November of 2014.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-19 01:58 PM

Posted via CB10
    It wouldn't matter when 5 came out (announced in Oct 2014, just so you know), as there was a 4.4 Kit Kat that BB10 was never updated to either. The runtime was always about a year or more behind the prime android release.

The reason they stopped at 4.3 was because of the deal BlackBerry made with Google when developing the Priv - which was always intended to be an android phone (regardless of the impression given at the 2015 MWC). To give BlackBerry access to Google Play Services and the Play Store, BlackBerry wasn't allowed to continue developing a forked version of Android - which is what the runtime in BB10 is.

Google could have asked to have the runtime removed from future BB10 OS releases, but actually allowed them to keep it where it was at.

There were a few tweaks to the 4.3 runtime in later OS releases after that time - one famously broke the app uninstaller near the end of 10.3.2, but was fixed for 10.3.3. But the runtime itself is forever stuck at 4.3.
    Laura Knotek and brookie229 like this.
    03-18-19 02:05 PM
    Yes it sucks... which is why they stopped making phones in 2015. As they were loosing billions on BB10 development.

Now probable the "right" thing to do would have been to destroy all the unsold BB10 devices, instead of unloading them on an unsuspecting market.
    Well if they did destroy all the unsold BB10 devices i wouldn't have one. I think they should just add Google playstore.

And i'm currently looking for a Blackberry Bold 9900 😳 😅

Posted via CB10
    03-18-19 03:11 PM
    It wouldn't matter when 5 came out (announced in Oct 2014, just so you know), as there was a 4.4 Kit Kat that BB10 was never updated to either. The runtime was always about a year or more behind the prime android release.

The reason they stopped at 4.3 was because of the deal BlackBerry made with Google when developing the Priv - which was always intended to be an android phone (regardless of the impression given at the 2015 MWC). To give BlackBerry access to Google Play Services and the Play Store, BlackBerry wasn't allowed to continue developing a forked version of Android - which is what the runtime in BB10 is.

Google could have asked to have the runtime removed from future BB10 OS releases, but actually allowed them to keep it where it was at.

There were a few tweaks to the 4.3 runtime in later OS releases after that time - one famously broke the app uninstaller near the end of 10.3.2, but was fixed for 10.3.3. But the runtime itself is forever stuck at 4.3.
    Thank you for the insight

Posted via CB10
    03-18-19 03:12 PM

I don't think there was ever a deal... it was simply that Chen starting cutting BB10 development in 2013 when he came on board. They cost of upgrading the runtime was too much with too little befit in 2014 - wasn't far enough behind to be an issue then. By 2015 BB10 development was pretty much over with, other then trying to get out those two patches (morphed into one).... that was fairly minor.

You are right they couldn't continue with development of a forked version of Android... but then Chen had no intention of continue BB10 development anyway. Heck he was already talking about getting out of hardware by early 2016... when the PRIV and DETK50 flop, he was done (DTEK60 didn't get much of a chance).
    03-18-19 03:20 PM
    I don't think there was ever a deal... it was simply that Chen starting cutting BB10 development in 2013 when he came on board. They cost of upgrading the runtime was too much with too little befit in 2014 - wasn't far enough behind to be an issue then. By 2015 BB10 development was pretty much over with, other then trying to get out those two patches (morphed into one).... that was fairly minor.

You are right they couldn't continue with development of a forked version of Android... but then Chen had no intention of continue BB10 development anyway. Heck he was already talking about getting out of hardware by early 2016... when the PRIV and DETK50 flop, he was done (DTEK60 didn't get much of a chance).
    I always figured something was worked out. I don't think BlackBerry ever joined the OHA which had more formal restrictions. Even today, neither BlackBerry Limited nor BlackBerry Mobile are listed. Alcatel is, and even there, they are listed as managed by TCL. I don't know if that covers BlackBerry in a round about way, or if there's simply a different agreement.

I can only assume that both BlackBerry companies are still bound to Google, as the recent Hub changes attest to, but I still think if Ron Louks hadn't convinced Chen to go with "the Google", then BB10 might have done at least one more android letter bump. Followed shortly with a completely dead company.
    03-18-19 03:52 PM
    I always figured something was worked out. I don't think BlackBerry ever joined the OHA which had more formal restrictions. Even today, neither BlackBerry Limited nor BlackBerry Mobile are listed. Alcatel is, and even there, they are listed as managed by TCL. I don't know if that covers BlackBerry in a round about way, or if there's simply a different agreement.

I can only assume that both BlackBerry companies are still bound to Google, as the recent Hub changes attest to, but I still think if Ron Louks hadn't convinced Chen to go with "the Google", then BB10 might have done at least one more android letter bump. Followed shortly with a completely dead company.
    Blackberry mobile is TCL. Blackberry limited survives as a software security firm, and as software, they keep their suite of applications updated. I'm actually glad they got out of the hardware business. It costs way too much to build something in-house compared to subsidising it off-shore.

Submitted via blackberry passport on freedom mobile HSPA+ or LTE
    04-28-19 10:58 PM