09-23-13 03:52 PM
61 123
tools
    First of all, where did this term come from? I've never heard it before. Did BlackBerry make it up? On the forum some posters claim non-corporate customers won't be able to purchase BlackBerry devices in the future. Is that what they mean by prosumer? This company could not be any more vague. I swear to god, it's like they f'n made up a word leaving all their customers in a huge panic...why? Why not just say: "we are totally exiting the consumer market" or "we arent marketing to consumers anymore and devices will no longer be subsidized by carriers but you can still buy unlocked devices directly from us?"

Posted via CB10
    EchuOkan1 and a1s2d3f4g5 like this.
    09-20-13 11:31 PM
    My interpretation is Professional Consumer...IE someone who wants a phone that's great at all forms of communication, provides useful tools and apps, but does not feature each and every app. IE Instagram and likes. So, a consumer who is not looking for all the games and such, essentially.
    FSeverino and martinjdub like this.
    09-20-13 11:35 PM
    Blackberry uses known words in vague ways which don't really mean anything, or could be applied to other companies/platforms

See:

hyper-connected
    mobile computing
    prosumer

etc
    jason9900, imz and a1s2d3f4g5 like this.
    I pray it means selling their phones on their website in small numbers for the BlackBerry faithful. #needanupgradepath desperately

Posted via Q10 using CB10
    Mack Gans likes this.
    A "pro"sumer vs. A "con"sumer. It's a good thing. Lol. All joking aside, they aren't exiting the consumer market outright. They are focusing on business professionals. In other words entering a "niche" market.
    21stNow likes this.
    09-20-13 11:36 PM
    Blackberry uses known words in vague ways which don't really mean anything, or could be applied to other companies/platforms

See:

hyper-connected
    mobile computing
    prosumer

etc
    This is the most frustrating thing to me about BlackBerry PR

Posted via CB10
    09-20-13 11:37 PM
    According to Wikipedia:

Prosumer is a portmanteau formed by contracting either the word professional or, less often, producer with the word consumer. For example, a prosumer grade digital camera is a "cross" between consumer grade and professional grade.
    A "pro"sumer vs. A "con"sumer. It's a good thing. Lol. All joking aside, they aren't exiting the consumer market outright. They are focusing on business professionals. In other words entering a "niche" market.
    Then maybe they should have actually said that. I'm not sure that's the case though.

Posted via CB10
    I like this best...

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 4
    09-20-13 11:38 PM
    This term exists in the photography business. Prosumer cameras are for serious hobbyists, who perhaps can't afford the best professional equipment but at least have a possibility to buy the next level down.

Ofcourse, none of this makes sense with Blackberry as they will be offering two high end and two low end devices. So where is the prosumer device ?

Anyways, i'm done with Blackberry. Ordered my Iphone 5S tonight.
    09-20-13 11:39 PM
    I sort of understand what prosumer means in markets like cameras, where there is some space between the big-selling cheapo models and the very expensive pro models. But in smartphones, the most expensive phones are also the biggest sellers. Is BB going to make a phone even more expensive than that, but below the non-existent "pro" smartphones? I don't get it.
    09-20-13 11:41 PM
    It's BBRY's way of saying that they know they will never get all the big apps.
    09-20-13 11:57 PM
    My understanding of what a prosumer is, is that it is a non-professional who purchases professional level equipment. Such as an amateur photographer who purchases a professional grade camera, or a hobbyist wood worker buying professional level tools. These people can buy these these things because their skill level actually needs/uses the higher end tools and they just aren't doing it for money (so not their profession), or they're the type who don't actually need the higher end tools but just "have to have the best". They are separated out because you aren't selling to an actual professional, or a regular consumer, but a consumer that want's to buy a professional device.

In BlackBerry terms, I think they mean they are focusing on business personnel who want to reliably and securely call/text/email and to have business related apps but care little about anything else (they are using the device as a "professional tool"), and consumers who place themselves in that same category.
    tetonica and Tomas Carrillo like this.
    09-21-13 12:07 AM
    It's BBRY's way of saying that they know they will never get all the big apps.
    To be honest, i'm a BlackBerry app dev so I appreciate what applications add to the BlackBerry mobile experience but when it comes down to it: I have to admit. I mostly f*ck around with apps that I download on all platforms for a day or two and then never open them again. For me the importance of the OS experience far exceeds the importance of apps and I would still buy a BlackBerry device over any other platform even if they completely removed 3rd party application support. I am probably in the minority here tho.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-13 12:08 AM
    I was thinking the exact same thing today. All I know is as long as I can still buy a BlackBerry device I'll be happy. I don't need all the apps and games, but I sure as hell need my BlackBerry.

BlackBerry needs to focus their marketing on their desired target audience. Hell BlackBerry needs an entire new marketing department that actually knows how to market a product. I have no problem at all if BlackBerry keeps bringing updates and focuses on a specific customer, but they need to make a product for that exact market and show those people that a BlackBerry is the best phone for their needs. I have little faith the current marketing department can do that, which is really too bad.

Anyways all I do know is I want a Z30 in my hands within a month and I really hope it's not the last BlackBerry phone I'll be able to buy.
    09-21-13 12:09 AM
    A prosumer is just another Blackberry term for "innovation", "leapfrogging", "move" , "60 days", "be bold", and "coming soon"; in other words, it means absolutely nothing. Or, perhaps it's best explained as this, Prosumer is a term used when companies, at the end of their life-span, realize that they haven't got a f***ing clue of what's going on in the real world, what consumers want, or what to do to save a business.
    09-21-13 12:35 AM
    Hey just as long as I can still buy a BlackBerry device then I'm okay.

I just hope that they make it clear next time if normal consumers like me could still secure these devices.

Posted via CB10
    EchuOkan1 likes this.
    09-21-13 12:46 AM
    You know, it's not the greatest thing, but I don't think these statements are meant for consumers. The wording is geared towards investors. They should really make it easier to understand since we as customers and fans follow them so closely. The misinterpretation around the CB Forums is crazy.
    EchuOkan1 likes this.
    09-21-13 12:54 AM
    Whatever it means, as long as there will be a qwerty BlackBerry phone in production and out there in the wild, it will eventually end up in my hands!!
    09-21-13 01:09 AM
    You know, it's not the greatest thing, but I don't think these statements are meant for consumers. The wording is geared towards investors. They should really make it easier to understand since we as customers and fans follow them so closely. The misinterpretation around the CB Forums is crazy.
    I agree. I am a consumer AND and investor; after reading their release I was left wondering what "prosumer" really meant. I also agree with the OP. It is frustrating to always having to interpret what they say every time they release anything. That should not be the case. They should be clear when delivering news because not doing this hurts them more that whatever benefit they perceive they will get. People that do not care about BB (which is the majority here in the US including the media) will not go the extra mile to research and figure out what was said. Instead, they will interpret it however suits their needs/objectives and create more confusion about the BB.
    09-21-13 01:18 AM
    To me it means they are going back to the bold 9000 era and dont expect any apps aimed at consumers..
    May be they will concentrate more on qwerty and build more devices like 9700.

Guess bbos will be back in the spotlight. A niche company as it was in the early and mid 2000s.
    Produce excellent qwerty devices aimed at the corporates. There will be people like me who buy it for the bbos and qwerty.
    Cut the losses and abandon ship on the consumer front and pls be the blackberry we all used to love and put a top notch comm device in our hands.. Pls pls pls

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums mobile app
    09-21-13 01:28 AM
    First of all, where did this term come from? I've never heard it before. Did BlackBerry make it up? On the forum some posters claim non-corporate customers won't be able to purchase BlackBerry devices in the future. Is that what they mean by prosumer? This company could not be any more vague. I swear to god, it's like they f'n made up a word leaving all their customers in a huge panic...why? Why not just say: "we are totally exiting the consumer market" or "we arent marketing to consumers anymore and devices will no longer be subsidized by carriers but you can still buy unlocked devices directly from us?"

Posted via CB10
    I am with you man. I was wondering the same thing after reading the news.
    09-21-13 01:32 AM
    A prosumer is a smartphone user that doesn't care about netflix and instagram... in fact they don't care about apps at all!
    tetonica likes this.
    09-21-13 01:34 AM
    This term exists in the photography business. Prosumer cameras are for serious hobbyists, who perhaps can't afford the best professional equipment but at least have a possibility to buy the next level down.

Ofcourse, none of this makes sense with Blackberry as they will be offering two high end and two low end devices. So where is the prosumer device ?

Anyways, i'm done with Blackberry. Ordered my Iphone 5S tonight.
    How much to order it online?

Posted via CB10
    09-21-13 01:47 AM
    If you can't understand a word in an official pr release. It means they are blowing smoke up your gazoo.
    I know there is a call for marketing on many of these threads, but it would be a complete waste of $ until the future of the company is established. In fact bbry are now doing negative marketing which is further damaging the brand.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    09-21-13 01:53 AM
61 123