My interpretation is Professional Consumer...IE someone who wants a phone that's great at all forms of communication, provides useful tools and apps, but does not feature each and every app. IE Instagram and likes. So, a consumer who is not looking for all the games and such, essentially.
    First off that's a terrible definition. Secondly, that type of person does not exist and will never again exist in the smartphone world again. Blackberry will never appeal to the "prosumer" even in its traditional sense because those users ARE using the big platforms. No professional person is at ANY advantage with a blackberry device, let's be completely real with ourselves.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
    09-21-13 12:55 AM
    All I heard was, "You know all those apps you want, they ain't happening now."

Check out my AZ MTB Channel C0006F5EB
    kevinnugent, ekv, imz and 1 others like this.
    09-21-13 01:00 AM
    So.....after watching the cb podcast I think they used this term because they need consumers to purchase the inventory they have already produced and didn't want to scare consumers away by saying they are exiting the device market. I think they have zero intention of releasing hardwear beyond the z30, which is why they reduced the product portfolio to the 4 devices they happen to already in inventory or on order.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-13 01:04 AM
    It's BBRY's way of saying that they know they will never get all the big apps.
    the only post that nailed it.

is there space for "prosumers" in this market? I don't think so.
    as usual.. same old excuse generating machine.
    09-21-13 01:06 AM
    SMARTPHONE PROSUMER
    �2013 BlackBerry Ltd
    09-21-13 01:48 AM
    Here's what a Blackberry Pro-Sumer does:

Pays exhoribant prices for average specced device
    Does not expect any upgrade on time
    Does not expect upgrades that do arrive to contain anything worthwhile or what was asked for
    Does not ask for anything
    Does not complain for fear of being labeled a troll
    Does not question anything spoken from the Holy Land - Waterloo.
    Does not mind being lied to

Am I missing anything?
    09-21-13 01:52 AM
    My interpretation is Professional Consumer...IE someone who wants a phone that's great at all forms of communication, provides useful tools and apps, but does not feature each and every app. IE Instagram and likes. So, a consumer who is not looking for all the games and such, essentially.
    Does that market even exist anymore? Who wants to go back to carrying an extra work phone again?
    09-21-13 02:43 AM
    I have no use for games or Instagram or Vine on my phones.

I want the texting/email/call quality/functionality of a BlackBerry, and I don't care if I have to pay full retail for it and order it from Canada.

Am I a prosumer?

Posted via CB10
    BroncoVAL likes this.
    09-21-13 02:56 AM
    From Forbes.com, "the Shift from Consumer to Prosumer":

Prosumers are the online influencers that business leaders and marketers must not just identify but also acknowledge, respect and develop relationships with in order for their products and brands to thrive.

The high level steps to leveraging the power of prosumers are as follows:

Identify the key online influencers for your product, brand, business or industry (i.e., the prosumers).

Acknowledge those people (e.g., send product samples, ask opinions, etc.).

Join the online conversation where those people already spend time.

Develop relationships with those people by interacting with them, providing useful information, and being accessible and human.

Leverage the opportunities of the social web by creating your own branded destinations such as a blog, YouTube channel, Twitter profile, Facebook group or fan page, LinkedIn group, podcast,
    09-21-13 03:36 AM
    Prosumer devices are also produced in a lower quantity - and generally priced higher.

Makes sense for BlackBerry if the bb10 devices are not selling - but will people bite after a prosumer rebrand? They're not biting now..?

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Q10
    Last edited by Poirots Progeny; 09-21-13 at 09:08 AM.
    09-21-13 03:58 AM
    I have no use for games or Instagram or Vine on my phones.

I want the texting/email/call quality/functionality of a BlackBerry, and I don't care if I have to pay full retail for it and order it from Canada.

Am I a prosumer?

Posted via CB10
    In my opinion, no. To be honest, if that is all you want, a feature phone is fine for you, and you are essentially defining your view of Blackberries as feature phones (or really a fancy pager still).

A prosumer wants apps.

Banking apps. Apps that manage electronic tickets, automatic purchases, virtual reality translators, managing your day by linking data from various sources, tweaking your handheld computer, logging in remotely to a desktop to monitor a program while it is executing. Assist in your serious hobbies, whether it is geocaching, sports, photography, arts, often by tying In seamlessly to a desktop computer.

The definition of a smartphone truly did change in 2007, when Apple and Google showed what a smartphone was capable of.

Now there is nothing wrong in anyone wanting fancy pagers/feature phones and it may be that there is a viable market out there. But that's not the prosumer as I would define it and boy, BBRY is screwed if they are. If BBRY is claiming they want the prosumer crowd and don't show the "get it" by addressing their critical weaknesses in serving this arena, then it's purely not so glib wordplay on their part. I am very concerned it is the latter.
    CairnsRock and GadgetTravel like this.
    09-21-13 05:13 AM
    So what I am getting is that most people have no idea what the f+ck BlackBerry means by prosumer and all the people who think they know have different definitions. They deserve an award.

Posted via CB10
    Poirots Progeny and kojita like this.
    09-21-13 09:07 AM
    So what I am getting is that most people have no idea what the f+ck BlackBerry means by prosumer and all the people who think they know have different definitions. They deserve an award.
    Except that I suspect BBRY doesn't know either.

It's like "mobile computing."

Maybe it's like Katt William's definition of a pimp: if you have to ask what a prosumer (my keyboard continually corrects the word to "prisoner") is, then you ain't one...
    Drew808 likes this.
    09-21-13 09:12 AM
    Here's what a Blackberry Pro-Sumer does:

Pays exhoribant prices for average specced device
    Does not expect any upgrade on time
    Does not expect upgrades that do arrive to contain anything worthwhile or what was asked for
    Does not ask for anything
    Does not complain for fear of being labeled a troll
    Does not question anything spoken from the Holy Land - Waterloo.
    Does not mind being lied to

Am I missing anything?

Loves tinkering with buggy leaks
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    09-21-13 09:24 AM
    A "pro"sumer vs. A "con"sumer. It's a good thing. Lol. All joking aside, they aren't exiting the consumer market outright. They are focusing on business professionals. In other words entering a "niche" market.
    ...while telling every teen-ager, stay at home mom / dad, college student, non-professional, etc that kept them afloat for years "Yeah, thanks for that, now get lost, you don't really fit into our new strategic alternatives as you are not hyper-connected enough to fully appreciate our mobile computing structure that will bring to fruition the internet of things"
    kevinnugent likes this.
    09-21-13 09:32 AM
    ...while telling every teen-ager, stay at home mom / dad, college student, non-professional, etc that kept them afloat for years "Yeah, thanks for that, now get lost, you don't really fit into our new strategic alternatives as you are not hyper-connected enough to fully appreciate our mobile computing structure that will bring to fruition the internet of things"
    You can believe whatever you want. But those people that did support them were in the minority and complained about everything that was lacking and scared away many people that may have actually liked the platform. It's the professional market that truly kept them afloat all these years with BES. I've talked to both consumers and BES users and many really loved the device and enjoyed using it. But everyone is different and BB10 was bound to make some users unhappy. It could also have still gained new users and gain more traction then it did. That is another story though.
    09-22-13 10:44 AM
    It is a buzz word like "mobile computing" that BlackBerry can throw out there and hope to keep investors from demanding heads roll for another quarter. It is vague, nebulous, and they will continue to use it without definition for some time. They are buying time for this "strategic alternatives" process to finish up and the Management and board making out like Bandits IMHO.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 11:42 AM
    I had the same question. Hope I am a prosumer. If they just sell direct on their website, keep the ecosystem alive and build a good handset, I'll stick with them.

IMO, blackberry isn't being served well by the sales reps in the retail outlets that attempt to sell every customer an i- or s-whatever.

Bob

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 11:46 AM
    I mentioned in another thread that a "prosumer" is someone who wants something better than consumer grade, but not all the bells, whistles and price of something professional grade. Mid range DSLR cameras fit this segment nicely - more than what the average consumer wants, not everything the professional photographer wants.

The only problem here is that the iPhone 5 and Galaxy S4 offer all the bells and whistles of professional grade gear, but at a consumer friendly price.

There's effectively no prosumer category in the smartphone market.

BlackBerry is in this position partly because they failed to attract average consumers in their quest for building a professional grade messaging product. If they want to continue to compete in the professional world, then they need to build devices that attract average consumers (BYOD and all).

This "prosumer" thing is 2008-2010 all over again.

A prosumer device should do everything a "consumer" device (iPhone 5, S4, etc...) does PLUS all the fancy secure communications and workspaces like BES/Balance, etc...

The only way BlackBerry will survive in the "prosumer" market is if they target the consumer.
    09-22-13 12:02 PM
    i seem to recall they said this before in jan 2012(?) , and then there was an uproar by customers fearing they were going to leave the consumer space. This followed shortly after by a 'clarification' from Thor stating they weren't abandoning consumers. You know, after a weekend of chaos with bbm, and that statement, I'm really looking forward to the latest comedy gem from Thor.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    09-22-13 05:08 PM
    This camera analogy does not make any sense. Under those terms a prosumer wants a semi professional camera but BlackBerry prosumer are not gonna get a semi professional smartphone...it just does not exist. professional phones are smartphones with apps that are business oriented. Nowadays all platform have such kind of apps ios android wp8 and BlackBerry. So there is no halfway through a professional smartphone device. Either it is a smartphone which is by definition professional or it isn't. And even so for camera professional targets photographers. For smartphones the target professions are legion: military politician business men independent Consultants academics sales rep....and so on.

So they really need to clarify this shyt. As it does not make sense to anybody or it makes sense to everybody but not the same sense. Wtf BlackBerry. If you intend to refocus do it so ******* clearly.

I am Zeeing things. There I Zed it.
    09-22-13 05:29 PM
    Not a fan of the term "prosumer." however, it is what it is. If BlackBerry puts out something with some kick, I will be one.
    09-22-13 05:36 PM
    Prosumer devices are also produced in a lower quantity - and generally priced higher.

Makes sense for BlackBerry if the bb10 devices are not selling - but will people bite after a prosumer rebrand? They're not biting now..?

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Q10
    Put Android on the Z30 strip the blackberry marks off it put samsung on it would probably sell like hotcakes..lol
    09-22-13 05:39 PM
    If you took the time to research your smartphone choice before buying then I'd say you're a prosumer.

Z10 STL100-3 | 10.1.0.4633 | Bell
    09-22-13 05:42 PM
    @MichaelClewley: @Kojita_ @vik_1on1 @gadway @DonnyHalliwell the word is professional consumer,It can range from a business owner to BOYD user.

I am Zeeing things. There I Zed it.
    09-22-13 05:46 PM
61 123