I was talking to my professional, business man uncle who has used a BB all his life and now is using a crappy iPhone, and when I found out he was using an iPhone I was surprised so I spoke to him about it, and he ended up telling me that iphone is better than BBs, but he was talkin about BBs in OS5 or maybe even less, and had no clue BB had released BB10. I showed him pics and he told me oh wow they also have touch screen phones.

He also told me his iPhone can scan and BBs can't do that.

Letting consumers know of how things are now is huge right now. I mean, this isn't a dumb, sheep teenager, this is a mature adult saying this.
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    12-23-13 09:25 PM
    Yeah...that's pretty agreed upon by everyone.
    12-23-13 09:41 PM
    BB marketing isn't going to improve any time in the near future.
    12-23-13 10:49 PM
    Are you God? Or when can I buy the crystal ball you have?

People on the Internet swear they know everything without actually having facts.

IMO, should give away phones to some people, not the highest ended ones, and/or break even. IMO, thy should put BB10 on as many hands as possible which will let people know about BB10, that its new, completely different, amazing, touch screen, all the apps it has, etc. and etc. and word of mouth will spread.

I mean, I have probably changed about five people to BB already. Word of mouth can be powerful.
    12-23-13 11:38 PM
    Yeah...that's pretty agreed upon by everyone.
    Except for a select number of people around the forums that believe BB10 is garbage and that ads won't help.
    12-23-13 11:40 PM
    Except for a select number of people around the forums that believe BB10 is garbage and that ads won't help.
    Lol I just think he means that there are a number of threads bringing up how BlackBerry needs to improve marketing...

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 11:42 PM
    First of all, the clown that achieved Grand Market Fail just got his walking papers. They have been working on a deal to turn things around, and at the moment, they are working out a plan for where the future goes.

If anyone didn't know that marketing sucked by now, well, I'd guess they've been Rip Van Winkled since, say, last October. For the near future, until they've reorganized and set a course, we will be cruising quietly. Stay tuned, but don't freak out unnecessarily. A new season will coming when it's time.
    12-23-13 11:47 PM
    I find it bizarre how some people are CEOs, in charge and what not. I mean, BRO!!! you need to have BB10s in people's hands, why in the F are you selling your device more expensive than competition? The Q5 is like 275 on US Amazon. What?!

Just break even, let everyone know about everything BB10. Go to corps and present BB10. Go to smaller businesses and do that. Do something that isn't charging more for your products!!!

And why isn't 10.2.1 official yet? It's the best OS ever, IMO.

Seriously, I might get into this business because any dumbass can apparently be hired, get paid and then gets fired later after making money.

If Sony can make a comeback from being so far in the hole then so can bb.
    12-23-13 11:49 PM
    I agree with OP. They really need to get their sh*t heads together and focus on marketing and pricing strategy. I still remember, when BlackBerry Z10 was launched in India, it was priced at 43,000 INR! and iPhone 5 was 44,500 INR. Needless to say, an end user will pick a iPhone.. Now, after 9 months, the price of Z10 has dropped to 25,000 INR that too on eBay.. same go's for Q10. I really don't know what were they upto at that time(maybe, under Mr.Heins reign this was happening)

Now, they need to follow a aggressive pricing and marketing strategy and focus on regular users too .. not just enterprise if they are looking for a spot in top 3 mobile war!
    Atmarix likes this.
    12-24-13 12:00 AM
    Yeah this is pretty obvious but not as simple to fix as one might think.

BlackBerry has an image problem that advertising won't easily fix.. if they had the same money as say Google, Samsung or Apple than maybe.

Although with that being said the re booting issue, lack of American carrier support, price point, App gap are all to much to over come in a mature market place like the US.

Moving forward with the advancement of BB10 to 10.2.1 and the scaling down of the company to what they do best is a good move. If they can get back to posting profits and make headway in enterprise then maybe we will see a full return to consumer products, until then enjoy your phone and being different

Posted via CB10
    agarwal.apar likes this.
    12-24-13 12:12 AM

I mean, I have probably changed about five people to BB already. Word of mouth can be powerful.
    Word of mouth works both ways. Something to keep in mind, especially when you have carrier representatives openly convincing people to not choose BlackBerry devices. Marketing has NEVER been a strong suit for BlackBerry and that's why it's so easy for people to think that it will never change. They've never given people a reason to think otherwise.
    12-24-13 12:13 AM
    BB marketing isn't going to improve any time in the near future.
    I really do hope that the new BBRY executive team does so. Especially with the appointment of John Simms as head of marketing.

As the OP said, people need to be aware of the new BB10 platform and the difference between it and BBOS if BBRY as a company intends to turn its fortunes around.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    12-24-13 07:29 AM
    I really do hope that the new BBRY executive team does so. Especially with the appointment of Simms as head of marketing.

As the OP said, people need to be aware of the new BB10 platform and the difference between it and BBOS if BBRY as a company intends to turn its fortunes around.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    My question though I'd if they are moving to enterprise only and away from the consumer market, how much advertising are they really going to do?
    12-24-13 07:31 AM
    My question though I'd if they are moving to enterprise only and away from the consumer market, how much advertising are they really going to do?
    Going after, attempting to retain, the Enterprise biz is definately the focus, if they get some consumer sales along the way great, that's the plan. He knows where the $$ is, hence the defined sales team for biz/enterprise. They must move fast, for this metric is also declining as well as a crowded field for sure. It's going to be tough.

Once the "Jakarta" is available BB will chase the high growth, less competitive, they think, market. I don't think we will see any consumer effort in any other market. Low hanging fruit, is the focus. Cheap phones, and minimal margins. They will need to sell 5 phones to equal the margin of a Zed10 handset sale. Give or take a few. With Foxconn responsible for most of the production, inventory expenses, cannot imagine BB making much on a 100$ phone, it's going to be tiny.

Don't forget, BB got 1billion from Prem, 500 million Tax Refund, 50 million from building sales. Without these infusions BB would be down to a Billion, give or take. The firm would only last another year without, at best. There will not be more of these, except the 250 million option from Fairfax. They must watch the cash situation, cannot attack on all fronts, as I see it. Jakarta and Enterprise only, for now.

If these grow then they can re-focus on consumer in remaining markets. start with a plan that could work, going up against the big guys toe-toe in Western Markets, N.America Europe is just too expensive, also Boulbin tried and failed. Throwing huge $$ at it again this soon, would probably yield similar results.

Chens plan seems logical, probably the only choice, at this point.

Chens round trip excursions on the Bombardier 20 passenger Jet to and from California a few times a week will suck down the reserves too! Not very green Blackberry!
    12-24-13 10:41 AM
    So your uncle stopped paying attention to developments in the mobile phone industry when he decided to go with iPhones. That's what normal people do.

When management states what they are going to focus on then they are talking about where they are going to spend their marketing dollars. There's no such thing as just making them available to order. That's what we get with the US Verizon release of the Z30 - pretty much nothing. If Blackberry says they are going to concentrate on the enterprise market in developed markets then you can pretty much tell that there is going to be little to no consumer marketing.
    12-24-13 10:57 AM
    So your uncle stopped paying attention to developments in the mobile phone industry when he decided to go with iPhones. That's what normal people do.

When management states what they are going to focus on then they are talking about where they are going to spend their marketing dollars. There's no such thing as just making them available to order. That's what we get with the US Verizon release of the Z30 - pretty much nothing. If Blackberry says they are going to concentrate on the enterprise market in developed markets then you can pretty much tell that there is going to be little to no consumer marketing.
    My understanding is that they are working their way up... not leaving the consumer market...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    12-24-13 12:45 PM
    I was in a USA Best Buy today and there was no BlackBerry phones displayed and in the Verizon store there was one Q10 sitting in a corner. The Q10 looked small and insignificant even cheap sitting in with the new Android phones.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    12-24-13 09:54 PM
    I was in a USA Best Buy today and there was no BlackBerry phones displayed and in the Verizon store there was one Q10 sitting in a corner. The Q10 looked small and insignificant even cheap sitting in with the new Android phones.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    Cheap !? You sure you weren't looking at Q5....

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    12-25-13 02:37 AM
    I was talking to my professional, business man uncle who has used a BB all his life and now is using a crappy iPhone, and when I found out he was using an iPhone I was surprised so I spoke to him about it, and he ended up telling me that iphone is better than BBs, but he was talkin about BBs in OS5 or maybe even less, and had no clue BB had released BB10. I showed him pics and he told me oh wow they also have touch screen phones.

He also told me his iPhone can scan and BBs can't do that.

Letting consumers know of how things are now is huge right now. I mean, this isn't a dumb, sheep teenager, this is a mature adult saying this.
    For not being a dump sheep teenager he doesn't open a news paper? I understand what your saying, but really?

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 01:21 AM
    Creating a marketing campaign after the mess Frank made would be a tall task. I don't know how many times I complained on these forms throughout the year, but I just became numb to the fact it was never going to change. I do believe they need to start from the beginning and consintrate on the business user. This is how it began in the first place. Get it in their hands and have them bring it home to show off to the family. One thing I've noticed recently is that many Canadian shows are sponsored by BB10 now. Just pops up when you least expect it. I think they get more bang for their buck this way. At any rate, I have faith that Mr Chen will do this right. I always felt uncomfortable with Heins and his crew. Can't put my finger one it, but they just seemed out of touch with the public and share holders. Mr Chen has already calmed the waters. It's already a miracle that their stock went up after this last earning call. Much of that has to do with him for sure.

Posted via CB10
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    12-28-13 02:16 AM
    Funny how everybody ,well nearly everybody,was saving it is going to be a blood bath when earnings report come.

Buy Stocks when the bombs are falling and sell when everybody is buying :P
    12-28-13 10:18 AM
    They're sponsoring the lang and o'leary exchange and that makes me very happy.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 09:39 AM
    They're sponsoring the lang and o'leary exchange and that makes me very happy.

Posted via CB10
    Also the National News. Nice to see.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 05:48 PM
    I just heard from the grape vine that my company is dumping blackberry in favour of IOS or android. That makes me sad. Not because I have a company phone, but it's another hit to the already hurt BBRY. They need to make more marketing and sales efforts to retain existing customers. My company isn't a ginourmous account, but at about 15-20,000 employees globally, I'm sure there are a lot of device sales lost and the service revenue.
    01-02-14 04:00 PM
    I just heard from the grape vine that my company is dumping blackberry in favour of IOS or android. That makes me sad. Not because I have a company phone, but it's another hit to the already hurt BBRY. They need to make more marketing and sales efforts to retain existing customers. My company isn't a ginourmous account, but at about 15-20,000 employees globally, I'm sure there are a lot of device sales lost and the service revenue.
    Putting up the for sale sign while you are trying to convince customers to go to BES10 likely made many test other solutions. You will probably see many more defections over the next couple quarters based on this. The highly regulated markets have more difficult time going to the competition.
    01-05-14 02:19 PM
27 12