The earnings report is next week. This week there is Z30 and BBM as their main news item. Next week there is BB Jam Asia and the earnings report.

I guess the only benefit of this early warning is to get the stock price down before next week's earnings and basically make next week's earning report a non-event.

Something must be in the works as it seems like they are doing their best to lower the stock price. They can't wait for even a week before announcing the bad news. They want to align all the ducks in the row (lower stock price, open book, enhanced focus on enterprise).

This pretty much guarantee that BBM will be spun off into a separate entity. Perhaps an announcement as early as next week (because they want to make sure the earnings news is a non-event).

I believe we should hear some more exciting information next week because that is the only reason I would think they will want to release earnings news TODAY.
    09-20-13 03:24 PM
    The earnings report is next week. This week there is Z30 and BBM as their main news item. Next week there is BB Jam Asia and the earnings report.

I guess the only benefit of this early warning is to get the stock price down before next week's earnings and basically make next week's earning report a non-event.

Something must be in the works as it seems like they are doing their best to lower the stock price. They can't wait for even a week before announcing the bad news. They want to align all the ducks in the row (lower stock price, open book, enhanced focus on enterprise).

This pretty much guarantee that BBM will be spun off into a separate entity. Perhaps an announcement as early as next week (because they want to make sure the earnings news is a non-event).

I believe we should hear some more exciting information next week because that is the only reason I would think they will want to release earnings news TODAY.
    I was going to sell next week before the earnings report... why the **** are you doing this to me BlackBerry. Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice, I sell all of my shares.
    09-20-13 03:25 PM
    I was going to sell next week before the earnings report... why the **** are you doing this to me BlackBerry. Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice, I sell all of my shares.
    Hi, I'm a journalist at Al Jazeera America working on a story about the recent news, and would love to talk to Blackberry users about their reactions. Could you email me at [email protected]?
    09-20-13 03:27 PM
    I think there is an equity trust on the horizon, waiting to take the company private
    They released the news before the market closes so it wouldn't hit that hard yet, but I think it didn't work too well. Low share prices means a nice and low pay for the equity trust to take over
    09-20-13 03:30 PM
    Preliminary statements and warnings such as this are required by the Securities and Exchange Commission if significant changes to guidance are forthcoming.

Nothing out of the ordinary for a company in this position.
    09-20-13 03:36 PM
    And announcing it late in the day on a Friday USED to be a good way to have the news buried for the weekend.
    09-20-13 03:50 PM
    Preliminary statements and warnings such as this are required by the Securities and Exchange Commission if significant changes to guidance are forthcoming.

Nothing out of the ordinary for a company in this position.
    They could have released it on Monday or if they knew about it earlier this week, they should have done it mid week. The problem is it takes like 48 hours before news become non-event and there is a major event coming this weekend.
    jimpilot likes this.
    09-20-13 03:51 PM
    And announcing it late in the day on a Friday USED to be a good way to have the news buried for the weekend.
    Not on a weekend where they are announcing a big push for BBM. Now it would just make it even harder to people to try. "It might be good, but the company is gone anyway".
    09-20-13 03:52 PM
    It's not a major event. Except here. Cross platform BBM wasn't going to do anything for BBRY sales. Not that it would have mattered, based on the information provided today.
    09-20-13 03:54 PM
    It's not a major event. Except here. Cross platform BBM wasn't going to do anything for BBRY sales. Not that it would have mattered, based on the information provided today.
    It is a "major" event given the amount they spend to advertise it on TV... events... etc.
    09-20-13 04:26 PM
    Yes, and that's not going to work. The Globe & Mail is probably dusting off their five page "BlackBerry Fails Miserably With BB10", weekend special story that they have had ready to go since June!
    09-20-13 04:43 PM
    Friday afternoon is the day to release bad news by convention. Wait till half the bloggers and media have left early.
    09-20-13 06:50 PM
    They are hoping that traders have a bad memory on Monday.
    09-20-13 09:11 PM