09-10-13 06:21 PM
72 123
tools
    If Bloomberg reports that Microsoft has kept an eye on BlackBerry, I believe that the deal is not far away. I'm so glad that Blackberry would be in a strong hand.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-13 11:17 PM
    They are probably waiting for BBRY's value to drop more so that they can buy it for cheap.
    They did not buy it when the stock was at $6 why buy it now?...maybe after Sept 27 when the stock will likely go to $4-5
    09-03-13 11:18 PM
    I believe that if BBRY could pull off mobile computing in a way that threatens the consumer PC market, (ie me at home no longer needing a PC because my phone hooks me in to everything I need, so I don't need a PC or Windows operating system anymore, which I absolutely want by the way) then Microsoft may feel that it can't allow that because it eats in to their profits too much. They would buy BBRY to either kill it or gain control of its competition .

Ricocan
    09-03-13 11:19 PM
    I believe that if BBRY could pull off mobile computing in a way that threatens the consumer PC market, (ie me at home no longer needing a PC because my phone hooks me in to everything I need, so I don't need a PC or Windows operating system anymore, which I absolutely want by the way) then Microsoft may feel that it can't allow that because it eats in to their profits too much. They would buy BBRY to either kill it or gain control of its competition .
    Ricocan
    Interesting and it's not like they don't have the resources to spend.
    09-03-13 11:25 PM
    In 2011 MSFT was considering joint bid for BBRY with Nokia now MSFT is all in all let's see what will happen
    09-03-13 11:35 PM
    There's not one shred of realistic hope that BB10 would survive if MS bought BB. Likely the BB brand, BB10, and all hardware would vanish from the market overnight.

ANY existing, healthy phone manufacturer buying BB would not be doing so for BB10 or the devices. The only hope would be for an entity that wants to get into the mobile business but doesn't yet have a major line of phones, like Lenovo.
    09-03-13 11:42 PM
    His next project is outrageous! But he has said, if nobody touches it, he'll do a small version to show what can be done.
    Posted via CB10
    Proving the technology works will be minor in comparison to obtaining the land rights and permits to get the project built. Look at what's happened to the high-speed rail project in California...
    09-03-13 11:43 PM
    If Microsoft were to buy BlackBerry, it would be under the guise of getting BlackBerry's enterprise market, but in reality, would be to shut down a competitor and cement Windows Phone as #3.
    09-03-13 11:48 PM
    So as everyone knows buy now Microsoft just bought Nokia. This certainly creates a lot of new opportunities for the windows line of phones.

I think Microsoft's next move is to purchase BlackBerry. Think about it blackberry is a player in the enterprise world, albeit to a less extent it once did. That being said windows is still far and away the dominant player in os in the workplace. The integration would be a natural one. Be able to integrate your work computer with your smartphone, and your tablet. Instantly the Windows brand becomes more attractive as workers can be more efficient. Microsoft will also benefit from blackberrys secure reputation. Not to mention blackberrys ability to be able to manage iOS and android devices. Obviously the next obvious move would be to integrate windows to the mix *** well.

However if this were to happen I believe it would effectively kill the blackberry smartphone as we know it. They could perhaps continue to use the bb10 os for some things but obviously the focus will be Windows 8. Microsoft would essentially be buying blackberry strong enterprise and security reputations to build the customer base in windows 8. Microsoft and enterprise are an obvious fix. BlackBerrys patents certainly could benefit windows phones, perhaps the integration of the android player to the windows brand would actually be beneficial as windows has gained market share worldwide.

I don't know if it happens but it isn't that far fetched.

Thoughts.

NOKIA must have purchased RIM, then story would be altogather different...
    NOKIA + BB10
    NOKIA's hardware and QNX....
    Perfect recipe to bring Apele and SumgSung.
    But this is just a thought....
    I hope CISCO or some other giant buys RIM and save entire eco-system.
    09-04-13 12:23 AM
    That's why Blackberry will be broken into parts - because companies like Microsoft will want parts of it but not the rest
    09-04-13 12:33 AM
    They did not buy it when the stock was at $6 why buy it now?
    MS didn't buy Nokia when the stock was $2 either
    Last edited by birdman_38; 09-04-13 at 12:56 AM.
    fedakd likes this.
    09-04-13 12:35 AM

Ricocan
    Very interesting take.
    09-04-13 12:37 AM
    I'm not sure why any blackberry fan would think this is a good idea. BlackBerry would cease to exist the minute this deal went through. If I'm wrong about that and somehow Microsoft would actually keep 2 platforms under their umbrella then I would happily admit it.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-13 12:42 AM

Ricocan
    If blackberry is on the verge of pulling something off that could threaten the PC market and has Microsoft scared enough that they want to buy them out and kill the company, then I would think they would not be up for sale and would just continue on and fulfill their vision.....or they would have line ups of companies and wealthy investors wanting a stake in it.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-13 12:45 AM
    Canadian government won't allow a sale to Microsoft anyways.
    09-04-13 12:55 AM
    Canadian government won't allow a sale to Microsoft anyways.
    You say that pretty matter-of-factly
    09-04-13 01:14 AM
    Microsoft: likely not interested, but if they bought BB, would ABSOLUTELY kill everything but perhaps BES10. QNX would be sold off.

Samsung: have stated in the recent past that they are not interested.

Sony: not interested, worked hard to shed previous partner, and doing well with their turn-around after going solo.

HTC: BB has nothing it can use to solve the problems it has, also doesn't have the cash.

Lenovo: doesn't really have the likely cash needed, but possibly could get it. Still, IMO, very unlikely to buy BB given BB10's market performance. Also, Chinese ownership would be a serious issue for several reasons.

Cisco: zero interest in consumer products. Their ownership of Linksys is considered a failure (and a huge hassle for them they didn't want or need) and Linksys was sold off. Cisco has their own problems right now, too.

Amazon: already has investment in Android-based products and ecosystem infrastructure, plus has little to offer to BB's biggest markets (i.e., outside North America). If it was interested in a smartphone, it would have to be one that could sell well in NA, where it has licenses for content, and that clearly isn't BB.

I could see parts of BB being purchased (I don't see anyone being interested in BB10 or the phone hardware, though), but I don't see anyone buying BB and keeping it whole and continuing to back BB10. IMO, anyone being interested in BB would be looking for the patents, BES10, and perhaps BBM. QNX would almost certainly be sold separately. BBM might also be sold separately.
    a5cent likes this.
    09-04-13 02:33 AM
    I think we should close it now,Microsoft does not want BB and that's why they made more realistic business move to buy Nokia ,which they have worked with and also have great information about their product dynamics.
    Please don't act like kids that Microsoft will go haywire to buy every company for sale or Alliance which is available in market.
    09-04-13 02:47 AM
    What does Microsoft get out of BlackBerry? BES 10, and BBM.
    Microsoft messed up expensively with Skype, and their own messaging systems haven't been very successful. BBM would be a useful fit. And BES10 would extend their scope in enterprise management. QNX would give them an immense amount of information which would help them get into the automotive market, and as WP8 is also a microkernel OS, there would doubtless be opportunities to improve it. Or run two in parallel, which Microsoft have done in the past. Microsoft have got rid of the Windows 8 desktop guy, so at this point presumably everything is up for grabs. A new guy might decide that the idea of one single OS to do everything was a major mistake.
    There would also be the possibility of creating internal competition in phone design by putting new requirements out to both Nokia and BlackBerry development teams. I am sure that Samsung, Asus and HTC do this.
    09-04-13 03:02 AM
    I agree that it feels BlackBerry is lost, but I really believe Steve Jobs is one of those 'once in a lifetime ' people. In the same vein as Einstein, etc.

Maybe Elon Musk is one of 'those people' with a vision and know how to achieve it.

Posted via CB10
    Are you really comparing Steve Job with Einstein??
    Last edited by AcADIeN; 09-04-13 at 06:30 AM.
    a5cent likes this.
    09-04-13 05:05 AM
    I think if they need to sell, Google has DEEP pockets! just imagine QNX and advertisements on your car dashboard...
    09-04-13 06:02 AM
    What does Microsoft get out of BlackBerry? BES 10, and BBM.
    MS has its own security software and products, cloud network, etc. Obviously not a pressing need. (Also when the Klown Kabal in Waterloo shifted away from BIS, it shot itself in the foot -- all of you consumer BB10 users now have phones that are no more secure than iPhones or Androids because they all use ... wait for it ... MS's ActiveSync.)

And if MS were really interested in pushing the instant messenger thing, they still have Live Messenger or whatever it's called nowadays. That you don't hear much about it probably shows the extent of their interest in something like BBM.
    09-04-13 06:32 AM
    My thinking is along the lines of MS not thinking they have the perfect OS. We could see a well integration of OS10 with windows. Also, QNX is a asset. Just like there excellence got trickled down to OS10. I think the same will happen with the new OS that gets built. I see a win win

Posted via CB10
    09-04-13 08:27 AM
    Hmmmm MS invests enough cash in BlackBerry to allow it to go private again in return for access to their patients for say 10 years like the Nokia deal
    flyingsolid and toneytone like this.
    09-04-13 08:54 AM
    Are you really comparing Steve Job with Einstein??
    Kind of, yes.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-13 09:17 AM
72 123