For a background info, I'm coming from a developing country where all the phones here are sold unlocked and without contract, so premium phones like iphones or samsung s4 are really expensive (in USD, it would be about $700). The people here care mostly about price (except if you come from a middle-up or upper income bracket), and so low prices really attract them. BB was booming a few years ago due to BBM and cheap data plan, coupled with the fact that BB also had a line of cheaper phones affordable for the low to mid income group. Android was not as dominant / well known / good as it is now, and iphones were still a luxury for many, so BB was very strong a few years ago.

However, as we know technology keeps rapidly progressing and it's normal for people to want to upgrade their phones into better ones. Fast forward until a year or two ago, Android progressed really far while BB stayed the same with OS7 which is not much different from OS6. ios, as you know, was pretty much the same (but keep in mind that ios already had a boost start and left the competition way behind). Samsung S3 caught the attention back then with good OS, touch screen experience comparable with iphone, good hardware. And people started turning their head to Android and away from BB. What would they buy, a Samsung S3 or BB9900? At the same price, would people choose the things I mentioned or stick to the same old OS7?

So now we have many BBM lovers who have made the switch to iphone or Android, either for better OS or for cheaper Android phones. Sure BB10 is out now, but all phones are at premium price (Z10 is $450, was $700. Q10 is $700. Q5 is $400). $400 for emerging market / developing country is way off. Sorry, but only a bunch of middle-up or upper class who're really fans of BB buy BB10 phones. At that price, they would be better off with S4 or iphone5. That's what people think, because people still have the assumption that BBOS is lame (partly justified with the lack of apps). For those who can't afford S4 or iphone5 would opt with cheaper Android phones because BB doesn't have a real cheaper alternative in emerging market like my country. BUT, at this point there are many who ARE STILL using BB legacy phones (and that's including me) and people from iphone or Android would love to have BBM to be able to chat up with their many friends who are still using BB legacy phones.

As for me, I am still using a BB9780 and a cheap Android (bought new $100) running ICS. I'd really like a Z10 or Z30 to replace my Android but can't afford one. I keep my BB9780 mainly because I have many BBM business contacts for work and I'd love to have another BBM on my Android for my personal use (and BB10 feel!).

PS: I'm writing a whole lot more than I anticipated. And this is from the top of my head, so my opinions could be wrong or the timing maybe a bit off. But this is generally why I think BB is starting to waver here.
    jpvj likes this.
    09-25-13 01:43 AM
    Good and interesting observations...

Despite the Apple jealousy/hate you see on Crackberry, what killed Blackberry in most countries was Android. Specifically the 100-200$ handsets.

Many of us were warning Blackberry all the way back in 2009 when it was only a question of time before a good Android phone below 200$ would hit the market...

I assume the ease of piracy of Android in your country has also been a draw?

How has sales and popularity of the older iphone4 been?
    09-25-13 05:17 AM
    I believe that there will be a price drop on the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 05:25 AM
    Despite the Apple jealousy/hate you see on Crackberry, what killed Blackberry in most countries was Android. Specifically the 100-200$ handsets.
    Many of us were warning Blackberry all the way back in 2009 when it was only a question of time before a good Android phone below 200$ would hit the market...
    I assume the ease of piracy of Android in your country has also been a draw?
    How has sales and popularity of the older iphone4 been?
    That's true, $100-200 Android phones hit hard, and Samsung plays the $200-300 market as well as the premium market.
    If you mean piracy of Android as in piracy of Android apps, then yes, but it only plays a little part. Sure some people pirate apps, the shops here would help you root + give you many paid apps of your choice for a fee as little as $5-10, but many Android apps are already free.
    With the new iphone5, I don't think there are that many people who'll be going for the older iphone4. However, I see more people using Samsung S4 or Note II compared to iphones nowadays.

I believe that there will be a price drop on the Z10.
    Posted via CB10
    Yes, the price drop of Z10 is underway. It was $700 before and now it's around $450. More price drops and I think people will start looking at Z10, but it has to be soon before other phones upgrade again. I believe if people start realizing how much different BB10 is, BB can make a comeback. But of course, BB also needs the apps ecosystem.
    09-25-13 08:05 AM