Chinese people are just crazy and the status symbol is so important. It has become the second market of Apple and its main source of growth. No one cares about Google Play Service in China as it is blocked, therefore the android runtime is enough. BlackBerry enjoys a very good reputation in China and I speculate it would have sold millions of its phones here. To be honest there is blackberry in China, selling bbos devices, WTF?

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 11:18 PM
    Security. I bet the main problem is security.

And I am not saying BB's security, but what the government may want (i.e. see India and some other cases).
    09-26-15 12:25 AM
    1) Android phones are dirt cheap. So why pay more?
    2) BlackBerry never had the same status of being a good phone there as other places.
    3) If apple has had problems breaking into the market, BlackBerry will have even more trouble as they currently have less to offer.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 12:59 AM
    2) BlackBerry never had the same status of being a good phone there as other places.
    3) If apple has had problems breaking into the market, BlackBerry will have even more trouble as they currently have less to offer.

Posted via CB10
    1) Apple phones are crazy expensive.
    2) BlackBerry phones are reputed to be the safest phones out there
    3) Apple had no problems breaking into the market.

Posted via CB10
    igor10000 likes this.
    09-26-15 07:35 AM
    Security. I bet the main problem is security.

And I am not saying BB's security, but what the government may want (i.e. see India and some other cases).
    Bbos devices are sold in China, therefore the security argument is moot.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 07:36 AM
    2) BlackBerry phones are reputed to be the safest phones out there
    Which has provided no competitive advantage to consumers, none at all.
    09-26-15 07:40 AM
    Which has provided no competitive advantage to consumers, none at all.
    It is only a matter of perception.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 11:15 AM
    It is only a matter of perception.

Posted via CB10
    Well and market reality - outside a few regulated industries security has provided no advantage to BlackBerry, none at all .

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
    09-26-15 11:31 AM
    Well and market reality - outside a few regulated industries security has provided no advantage to BlackBerry, none at all .

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
    What I mean is it is a matter of marketing, differentiation and prestige. There is almost no issue with the Android Runtime and the most popular apps in China as Google play service is blocked. I guess 100% of Chinese apps do not use it...Otherwise they have to climb the great wall.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 01:43 PM
    What I mean is it is a matter of marketing, differentiation and prestige. There is almost no issue with the Android Runtime and the most popular apps in China as Google play service is blocked. I guess 100% of Chinese apps do not use it...Otherwise they have to climb the great wall.

Posted via CB10
    Well the issue is that BBRY are about to launch a Google Android phone - the runtime is toast.
    09-26-15 01:45 PM
    Why does BlackBerry not enter the mainland Chinese market ?-img_20150927_014556.png
    One of the most popular grey importer/seller through Taobao. I guess they sold more passports than your local carrier shop. Check the price as well, basically usd$ 500 maybe new, but without any warranty.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 01:50 PM
    Well the issue is that BBRY are about to launch a Google Android phone - the runtime is toast.
    Well, I do agree with that as there will be no differentiation factor except the format. I was thinking about before in fact.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 01:55 PM
    1) Apple phones are crazy expensive.
    3) Apple had no problems breaking into the market.

Posted via CB10
    Apple had many problems breaking into the China phone market. The iPhone was out for years before they even got some major deals with Chinese carriers. Apple is doing very well in China, but it was very expensive for Apple to enter the market. BB may seem to have a lot of cash but they are not going to gamble it away to try enter a very crowded market with low spec phones.
    09-28-15 11:45 AM
    So why do Chinese buy Apple, if it is only about price?

Posted via CB10
    09-28-15 01:09 PM
    Are your Troy Tiscareno's double? :-D

Posted via CB10
    09-28-15 01:10 PM
    So why do Chinese buy Apple, if it is only about price?

Posted via CB10
    Being nouveau riche tends to lead to ostentatious purchases, regardless if they were financed with a kidney or not.

For those without cash, a dirt cheap slave labor Android phone is much more competitive than a BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-15 01:42 PM
    Political minefield ...?

:-)

  Ahoy, Privateers...! :-)  
    10-05-15 04:03 AM
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...owth-in-africa

Chinese cell phone manufacturers are looking elsewhere. I just spoke to a friend in Senegal and he is going to buy a windows phone for 50,000CFA, which is like $81USD. Hard to compete with that.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 06:13 PM
    BB may seem to have a lot of cash but they are not going to gamble it away to try enter a very crowded market with low spec phones.
    For 100- USD, you can get a phone that kills ALL BB10 devices except passport, 200- USD then passport included, 500- USD owns the priv in terms of hardware spec and these are off-contract price. The only advantage BB might have in terms of hardware is keyboard but it's not essential cos they have high speed input method that use only 9 buttons (T9 input).

BB is THE low spec player.
    11-07-15 09:19 PM
    For 100- USD, you can get a phone that kills ALL BB10 devices except passport, 200- USD then passport included, 500- USD owns the priv in terms of hardware spec and these are off-contract price. The only advantage BB might have in terms of hardware is keyboard but it's not essential cos they have high speed input method that use only 9 buttons (T9 input).

But their OS is the high-spec one... haha!

:-D

  AC/CB - back in black or highway to mobile h*ll? ;-P  
    Tien-Lin Chang likes this.
    11-15-15 04:59 PM
    Chen was (and maybe still is) an Ambassador to China on behalf of U.S. - Chinese relations, focused on trade. Chen is also a member of an elite group of Chinese-American business men and women, not to mention amongst two dozen or so other prestigious honors and positions. Seriously, I think the dude could have made something happen.

I have a feeling that any move into China is going to be with the Vienna.
    11-15-15 11:50 PM

Kill what? The spec? iPhone has worse spec than the passport and still sell well in china.

BlackBerry and iPhone never enter the spec war and they don't need to, because the OS don't need the crazy waste of spec to do multitasking better than samsung, or xiaomi

 Passport via CB10 || previous device : Q10, Z3, Z10, Storm 9530, 8520, 8530, 9000, 8320
    11-27-15 10:22 AM
    Kill what? The spec? iPhone has worse spec than the passport and still sell well in china.

BlackBerry and iPhone never enter the spec war and they don't need to, because the OS don't need the crazy waste of spec to do multitasking better than samsung, or xiaomi

 Passport via CB10 || previous device : Q10, Z3, Z10, Storm 9530, 8520, 8530, 9000, 8320
    Apple got the whole ecosystem build around it's hardware and that's a totally different story compared to BlackBerry. If Blackberry needs android apps to patch their ecosystem they are in the Android spec war. If you say apps are not important then you have no idea the mobile world in China. The physical keyboard and the Hub are not the killer selling point there. Not to mention the compatibility problem of Android apps running on emulator - not people paying more looking for. So from aspect of ecosystem UX, yes it get killed easily.

I was in a serious thought off getting a Z3 2 years ago then the 150USD price tag scares me off. I don't want to pay that amount of money to get a aged-old hardware, mediocre monitor and a terrible camera just to try the OS.

I mentioned the price and the spec is because this is the easiest way for BlackBerry to step up their games to competitors rather then fine-tuning it's software, make the ecosystem more complete. However blackberry fall short even in this aspect, what a shame.
    11-28-15 06:52 AM