I know they had for more professional needs but it didn't seem that they had one for Consumers or Prosumers.

As much as we like to claim apps for the reason Blackberry isn't succeeding that's only part of the reason. For the life of me I can't nderstand why Blackberry didn't work harder to make a internal (or first party) software ecosystem to fill in the voids. Look at Windows Phone it doesn't have a lot of apps but beyond the amount its backed up by Microsoft services.
    Meet the Windows Phone developers risking everything to save Microsoft's platform | The Verge

Case in point Before I even got in the OS game and about 2009 I got my first Xbox 360. Used it to play games and eventual started buying films on ther service that would be called Xbox Video. Now I'm dedicated to the service since it syncs between my Xbox, PC, and Tablet. Its the samething with Google and Apple getting people to use the Gapps and iwork/ibook suites.Right now I'm in the google ecosystem but wanting a more mix of Prosumer I'm going toward Microsoft getting a Lumia, Surface 2, and an Xbox One.

Seems that Blackberry with the Playbook at the time and now with BB10 were perfect way to target prosumers at a low price point. Why not work on Google Drive/Office requirements and building a Blackberry cloud service instead of using Box.
    09-23-13 01:04 PM
    But why build another cloud service? If it doesn't make them any profit why should they build it.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 01:07 PM
    They had neither the resources or expertise to build one.

Google is constantly reinventing its services. Even Apple fugged up royally the first time they tried.
    09-23-13 01:16 PM
    It really comes down to resources and money - BlackBerry is not in a place for this. Yet.

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Q10
    09-23-13 01:18 PM
    But why build another cloud service? If it doesn't make them any profit why should they build it.

Posted via CB10
    Because if you control it you can innovate better. Look at what the big three are doing with their services, incredible stuff. BB can't do that because they don't own the services.

It also makes your platform more sticky, so users have more incentive NOT to leave. BBM used to do that, but Messaging isn't a killer app anymore. Services matter a lot.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 4
    09-24-13 11:22 AM
    Great discussion.

I agree: limited resources must have been a consideration. Great point re: even Apple struggling at it.

I still think a lot of good could have been done with a set of well-developed, say, business applications. Docs2Go already has a decent cross-platform footprint. Could have been spruced up. I think BBM could have been updated ages ago. A cloud-compatible app or two for databases probably. I think the idea of a BB cloud service is a bit compelling.

Elbowing into the dance at this stage is difficult and expensive, and, as stated, it then boils down to resources. I just feel BBRY would have been better off not having to rely as much on competitor's offering for needed services.
    09-24-13 11:40 AM
    If the market is dominated by popular products that give you cradle -to-grave ecosystems, and yours doesn't, you can't compete head on.

Posted via my BlackBerry Z10
    09-24-13 12:14 PM
    Box and dropbox are the cloud services I use. Not exactly tied to a platform.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 12:52 PM
    I really wish that BlackBerry had launch BB10 with $3 - $4 Billion in debt. I would have like to have seen them really put some effort into trying to make BB10 a success. If they could have sold 10-15 million in the first year, that debt wouldn't have meant anything.

And launch should have been considered the release of the PlayBook. From that point BlackBerry should have been pushing/begging/buying developers to get them on board even before the phones were launched.

But as the OP showed their are dreamers like Thor and BB. And then there are doers like Apple, MS and Google....
    09-24-13 01:24 PM
    Scalemaster and what if that debt didn't pay off... and led the company to shut everything down...

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 01:26 PM
    They had a cloud service and sold it. NewBay I believe it was.
    09-24-13 01:28 PM
    Box and dropbox are the cloud services I use. Not exactly tied to a platform.

Posted via CB10
    I use them both also... they are Cloud Storage offerings. They don't come close to providing the services of iCloud. Ture it is designed to suck you further into the World of Apple, but there is something to be said for one location to do so many things and the fact that it just works.

Scalemaster and what if that debt didn't pay off... and led the company to shut everything down...

Posted via CB10
    What exactly would be different for us....
    09-24-13 01:32 PM
    I use them both also... they are Cloud Storage offerings. They don't come close to providing the services of iCloud. Ture it is designed to suck you further into the World of Apple, but there is something to be said for one location to do so many things and the fact that it just works.
    What about BlackBerry Link and it's remote storage options? Making your home PC the cloud.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 01:33 PM
    Look at all the big players in mobile. Each brings something substantial, software-wise, from their other lines of business to the platform: Apple brings the media; Google brings the maps and search infrastructure; Microsoft brings Windows-related stuff.

We're talking about services that were used in practically every household before mobile. What does Blackberry bring?
    09-24-13 01:44 PM

What exactly would be different for us....
    Yup Box and Drop Box aren't as good as iCloud they dont go down on a weekly basis (all my friends with iphones constantly complain about it).

The difference with BB now and if they launched BB10 with dept is they would be closed with no support or anything. No more business left. The way it is now BB still exsits but as a private company. The company goes on supporting their devices.
    09-24-13 01:47 PM
    What about BlackBerry Link and it's remote storage options? Making your home PC the cloud.

Posted via CB10
    Link is great if you are on the same Lan as your BB for backup and syncing.

Remote File access is also a cool feature (if you can get it to work), but it doesn't do any type of remote syncing or auto backup.

iCloud is like having

Box Account
    BlackBerry Link
    BlackBerry Protect
    Google Apps (online documents)
    Shutterfly (online photos)

All in ONE location...
    09-24-13 01:52 PM