Samsung and Nokia and HTC all produce for different platforms, why can't BlackBerry? If it is to survive I would...
    12-26-13 06:23 PM
    Samsung and Nokia and HTC all produce for different platforms, why can't BlackBerry? If it is to survive I would...
    Well lets look at this shall we.?? If Blackberry put android on their phone… it would essentially not be a blackberry… furthermore they will essentially be giving up on the enterprise market they barely dominate…. Also, the purchases they made over the past couple of years would have been for nothing.. and last and certainly most importantly, it wouldn't help them survive in a android market dominated by Samsung, and HTC and Motorola…It is not even remotely a smart move…
    12-26-13 06:31 PM
    Well lets look at this shall we.?? If Blackberry put android on their phone… it would essentially not be a blackberry… furthermore they will essentially be giving up on the enterprise market they barely dominate…. Also, the purchases they made over the past couple of years would have been for nothing.. and last and certainly most importantly, it wouldn't help them survive in a android market dominated by Samsung, and HTC and Motorola…It is not even remotely a smart move…
    Why wouldn't it be a Blackberry, the same way a Samsung phone would still be with Android on it?

And Blackberry has BES10 on Android phones, so they obviously have the means to make a corporate Android device from the get-go...
    shupor and shief24 like this.
    12-26-13 06:40 PM
    This way they would give up the control over the system to Google. Thus, a lot of clients would possibly drop BlackBerry for security reasons.

Posted via CB10
    Jake2826, moody and anon6113468 like this.
    12-26-13 06:51 PM
    Well it's pretty much run android anyway

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck and jegs2 like this.
    12-26-13 06:51 PM
    Also, does HTC profit on Android? Does Motorola?

Posted via CB10
    12-26-13 06:52 PM
    Also, does HTC profit on Android? Does Motorola?

Posted via CB10
    Nope, but they do sell more than Blackberry phones these days.
    bekkay likes this.
    12-26-13 06:56 PM
    This way they would give up the control over the system to Google. Thus, a lot of clients would possibly drop BlackBerry for security reasons.

Posted via CB10
    I would argue that if Blackberry did an Android phone, people might consider it for the security pedigree BB brings to the table...
    thevacantsoul likes this.
    12-26-13 06:59 PM
    Why wouldn't it be a Blackberry, the same way a Samsung phone would still be with Android on it?
    You're not comparing apples with apples. The only other phone company that makes both the software and the hardware is Apple.

So let me compare apples with apples, would a mobile phone made by Apple but running Android still be seen by the consumer world as an Apple phone? Even though it offered none of the "Apple user experience"?

And Blackberry has BES10 on Android phones, so they obviously have the means to make a corporate Android device from the get-go...
    BlackBerry's desire to earn revenue from Android devices in the workplace has nothing to do with desire to try to make and sell them. Thorsten Heins spelled out BlackBerry's view that it couldn't differentiate itself from its competitors by pushing Android. Companies like Sony, LG, HTC and Motorola do not make massive profits pushing Android phones because the market is owned by Samsung. There just isn't enough you can do by bolting on a different user interface on top of Android to make it "must have" when compared to a Samsung Android phone in the eyes of the average consumer or the workplace.

Or at least that's been the strategy so far. Maybe the new CEO's strategy will be different.

I feel that a move from BBOS to a secure fork of Android specifically designed to get it in to the corporate and regulated workplace instead of BB10 could have worked. It would have been very unpopular with the BlackBerry faithful but then they didn't rush out and buy BB10 phones anyway (so far) so what was there to lose?

Maybe there is still a place for a BlackDroid phone? Don't like BB10 but want security and apps? Buy a BlackDroid!

The fact that RIM changed their name to BlackBerry does rather limit the naming and branding opportunities here. If BlackBerry were to sell both BB10 and Android phones only the BB10 phone could be called a BlackBerry or it would be a disastrous and confused marketing mess. Perhaps it's time for a new subsidiary of BlackBerry, BlackDroid Ltd?

Posted via CB10 on Z10 STL100-2 on EE, UK - Activated on BES10.2
    12-26-13 07:12 PM
    With the leak on my Z10, it is almost an andriod, getting there ....
    12-26-13 07:41 PM

Posted via CB10
    If BlackBerry was able to run android apps I would very strongly consider getting a BlackBerry phone and iu think others would as well.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-13 07:48 PM
    If BlackBerry was able to run android apps I would very strongly consider getting a BlackBerry phone and iu think others would as well.

Posted via CB10
    May as well pick up a cheap Z10 now then because the up coming 10.2.1 OS is going to be right up your street. Download and install apps directly from the Amazon app store and 1Mobile Market, and most of them even work too.

There's a good leak of 10.2.1 available right here in the forums if you're in the US where ice ages happen between official OTA OS updates.

12-26-13 07:54 PM
    Nope, but they do sell more than Blackberry phones these days.
    I don't see any point in selling lots of phones and still making no profit. BlackBerry is basically doing this already (just not selling that many phones).

Posted via CB10
    12-26-13 07:55 PM
    I would argue that if Blackberry did an Android phone, people might consider it for the security pedigree BB brings to the table...
    Android is no security pedigree and the CIOs know it.

Posted via CB10
    sleepngbear and Jake2826 like this.
    12-26-13 07:57 PM

Posted via CB10
    Ever since 10.2.1.1055, you can install and run Android apps straight from android app sources, no conversion from apk to bar needed.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-13 07:58 PM
    I wish they would do this at least once. Make a full QWERTY device running Android. There really is no point in them making a full touch Android device, but a Android KitKat device with a BlackBerry keyboard would be very interesting and a day one purchase for me.

I don't see how this could hurt anything. I mean afterall they could keep making BlackBerry 10 devices. One Android wouldn't kill them.
    Donvald and KemKev like this.
    12-26-13 08:01 PM
    It's a bit too late for that now.

I was arguing back in 2008 or 9 that BB should have developed new BB phones using Android as the base OS, and adding BB's security features on top of it. They could have released such phones in 2010 or 2011 at the latest and could have focused much more of the company's resources on security and marketing, and saved most or all of the money they spent on developing their (weak) ecosystem and all of the effort to get developers on board. Even if they'd had to fork Android to do this, they'd have had full Android app store compatibility from Day 1, and they'd be 3-4 years into the platform instead of 1.

By waiting, and then starting totally from scratch with QNX, they put themselves years behind, and saw a huge portion of their user-base defect. The brand's reputation also took a massive hit with all of the people who had to continue using a BBOS device for YEARS after phones with far superior app and media capabilities became common. Had BB been able to capture those users back in 2011, before the brand image was so thoroughly damaged, they might have 50 million users on their BB/Android fork.

It would take BB 9-12 months of development work to put out a basic Android phone with a BB skin and no additional security at this point, and how many would they sell, given the competition? If they were selling Android phones with BB security in 2011, I think they could have sold 10+ million per quarter, and would have probably migrated most of their BBOS user base to the new system by now, along with people new to BB. But without BB's security, which again, would take 2 years to get to a saleable level if they started today, why would anyone buy a generic Android device from BB?

The time for that decision was in 2008, or even 2009. It's too late in what is virtually 2014.
    12-26-13 08:01 PM
    Because bbry would have to give up the android player as they have to sign into the open alliance agreement and give up making their own android for access to Google play
    sati01 likes this.
    12-26-13 08:02 PM
    Everybody and their brother is making Android phones, and the only one making any money at it is Samsung. Why would anybody in their right mind want to jump into that kind of market. It never was a good idea even before QNX, but it's an even worse idea now. In fact it's probably the absolute worst thing BBRY could do.
    kbz1960, Jake2826, rthonpm and 2 others like this.
    12-26-13 08:10 PM
    BB10 is Blackberry's transition into the Android world ....
    12-26-13 08:12 PM
    Android is no security pedigree and the CIOs know it.

Posted via CB10
    Even the supposed BES-killer, Knox. WSJ just reported that it has a pretty bad vulnerability.
    Jake2826 likes this.
    12-26-13 08:12 PM
    Everybody and their brother is making Android phones, and the only one making any money at it is Samsung. Why would anybody in their right mind want to jump into that kind of market. It never was a good idea even before QNX, but it's an even worse idea now. In fact it's probably the absolute worst thing BBRY could do.
    Can you name a single company making a Android device with a keyboard as nice as BlackBerry's? Sure, the market for keyboard phones is probably small, but BlackBerry is still making phones with keyboards. So why not try a keyboard phone with Android?

I know a lot of former BlackBerry users who switched to Android and only miss that keyboard. I'm one of them.
    Speedygi, aniym and stlabrat like this.
    12-26-13 08:14 PM
    I am just shaking my head at this...

BB Uniq BB Bold -Z10
    12-26-13 08:22 PM
    May as well pick up a cheap Z10 now then because the up coming 10.2.1 OS is going to be right up your street. Download and install apps directly from the Amazon app store and 1Mobile Market, and most of them even work too.

There's a good leak of 10.2.1 available right here in the forums if you're in the US where ice ages happen between official OTA OS updates.

I wouldn't get the z10. I'm used to a five inch screen and couldn't use anything smaller now. The z30 would be a better fit and I have played with the phone and really impressed with it. BlackBerry is going in the right direction with android apps. I'll believe it when I see it.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-13 08:26 PM
    I wouldn't get the z10. I'm used to a five inch screen and couldn't use anything smaller now. The z30 would be a better fit and I have played with the phone and really impressed with it. BlackBerry is going in the right direction with android apps. I'll believe it when I see it.

Posted via CB10
    Fine, i just ordered myself a Z30 today so I quite agree, just thought you'd prefer a cheap way in to BB10 goodness but if money isn't then go for the best available.

12-26-13 08:32 PM
230 123 ...