BBRY has enough cash if Canadian Govt. help they can give premium($18) to its share holders and make their company private. US govt. helped American Insurance, GM , Citi Bank and many more companies and these company rewarded US companies with handsome money then why Canadian Govt is not helping its Canadian Jewel.
    09-06-13 11:07 AM
    Personally I don't think our Government cares that much about them.

Edit: So I'm dead wrong and the government wants to keep them around
    Last edited by Lendo; 09-06-13 at 08:45 PM.
    FSeverino likes this.
    09-06-13 11:30 AM
    Personally I don't think our Government cares that much about them.
    actually you'd be dead wrong, all parliament and military use BlackBerry smartphones. The reason they aren't helping right now, is they have their own issues to deal with. IF BlackBerry can't sort this out themselves, than yes, the Canadian Government may make a move to keep it Canadian owned
    scmcc16, spike12, SK122387 and 5 others like this.
    09-06-13 11:33 AM
    Ridiculous comparison. While the AIG and other insurance/bank bailouts were politically motivated to some degree, the their derivatives contracts that were about to go bad included multiple counterparties all over the world and had a notional value in the trillions of dollars. Yes, literally trillions.

As for GM and Ford, those companies employed hundreds of thousands of workers, and are highly unionized...their downfall could have a big impact during congressional, senate and presidential elections. They also contribute heavily to US GDP.

BB on the other hand employs roughly 10,000 people and contributes a miniscule amount to Canada's GDP. They are far from being 'too big to fail' which is what you are implying.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    09-06-13 11:49 AM
    actually you'd be dead wrong, all parliament and military use BlackBerry smartphones. The reason they aren't helping right now, is they have their own issues to deal with. IF BlackBerry can't sort this out themselves, than yes, the Canadian Government may make a move to keep it Canadian owned
    The last thing I read was that the Federal Government was in for around 50,000 BBs or so. Wish I could find the article to source it. Anyways, the issue with the federal governemt is that it's too damn slow to upgrade. I have a Curve 9300 running OS 6! I hope that they make the switch soon, or enable balance so that I can just use my Z10 for work and play (Before I get blasted, yes I know wishful thinking).
    09-06-13 12:00 PM
    Could be the future most of the asian tech companies Samsung, Lenovo etc are heavily intertwined with the government.
    09-06-13 12:06 PM
    Way too risky for an investment as a CPP investment. They have suitors in line have they not?

What will be will be. If other companies do not want buy I am not sure why Canada would want to buy the company. The political advantage is limited because most of the jobs would be centered in one or two ridings which is not enough to make a difference and would probably be offset by negatives in other ridings.
    The government here likes to invest in infrastructure projects.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 09-06-13 at 01:05 PM.
    09-06-13 12:38 PM
    The investment fund for the Canada Pension Plan (for our American friends, think Social Security) has already stated a willingness to participate in a "gone-private" BBRY. To me, that represents kind of "back door" federal government intervention.

We'll see how that actually plays out. My own guess--what they're trying to do is take the company private with Prem Watsa's Fairfax Financial (which already owns a significant stake anyway), Mike Lazaridus (ditto) and a few other participants. Possibly the big Canadian banks, who also hold some stake in the company.
    nico2004 and SK122387 like this.
    09-06-13 01:00 PM
    The last thing I read was that the Federal Government was in for around 50,000 BBs or so. Wish I could find the article to source it. Anyways, the issue with the federal governemt is that it's too damn slow to upgrade. I have a Curve 9300 running OS 6! I hope that they make the switch soon, or enable balance so that I can just use my Z10 for work and play (Before I get blasted, yes I know wishful thinking).
    Won't be anytime soon, I asked the head of tech for the federal gov, they're still happy with the old platforms
    09-06-13 01:07 PM
    Way too risky for an investment as a CPP investment. They have suitors in line have they not?

What will be will be. If other companies do not want buy I am not sure why Canada would want to buy the company. The political advantage is limited because most of the jobs would be centered in one or two ridings which is not enough to make a difference and would probably be offset by negatives in other ridings.
    The government here likes to invest in infrastructure projects.
    Really? If it is too risky why did the Canadian government invest in GM when they went bankrupt? a riskier situation then BB is in.
    09-06-13 01:07 PM
    Do Canadians really want their pensions invested in bbry? I shudder at the thought.
    09-06-13 01:13 PM
    Really? If it is too risky why did the Canadian government invest in GM when they went bankrupt? a riskier situation then BB is in.
    Bad analogy. Completely different industries. Completely different impacts on the economy. Automobile companies historically turn around. Tech companies do not.

BBRY has enough cash if Canadian Govt. help they can give premium($18) to its share holders and make their company private.
    Even if the CPP were legitimately interested in BBRY, I don't see why it would be inclined to pay a premium for the company. The government doesn't care about greedy shareholders. They are solely responsible for their bad investments. Wait for the stock to plummet to single digits and buy it at a fire sale price.

A purchase announcement isn't coming as long as BBRY is in the double digits. An interested party is going to wait for a fair price and, the more they think there are few other serious parties, they will be more inclined to wait it out.
    09-06-13 01:28 PM
    Why do I keep reading these threads about bailing out Blackberry?

How do you bail out a company that has no debt, $3billion in the bank and a significant customer base?

Bailing out Blackberry would be like helping someone walk that has a sore elbow.....
    nico2004, Alphax45 and La Emperor like this.
    09-06-13 01:34 PM

How do you bail out a company that has no debt, $3billion in the bank and a significant customer base?

Bailing out Blackberry would be like helping someone walk that has a sore elbow.....
    And what are the billions doing for them? I agree they don't need a bailout they need a massive gutting starting at the top.
    cmdr_dan and Alphax45 like this.
    09-06-13 01:39 PM
    Because the auto sector employees over 170,000 people in Ontario alone And much more in other places through out canada.

GM as a company is a totally different market than blackberry is. The auto sector will always be around. One was broke one isn't. The tech sector is high risk and only the strong survive. Blackberry is shaping up to be another Nortel because of incompetent management. To stupid to learn from their past!

A sale is their only hope to save themselves.
    09-06-13 01:44 PM
    And what are the billions doing for them? I agree they don't need a bailout they need a massive gutting starting at the top.
    And what would government intervention do for them? The government can't even manage themselves, I wouldn't want them anywhere near BB. And if you think the government wouldn't stick their nose in the business ....think again. Just ask GM.

And what are the billions doing for them you ask? Seriously? How about allowing further R&D, and simply keeping them moving and staying above water! They are not leveraged, so no creditors are calling anything in!!!! People have gone flat out bat sh&t crazy on here with talk of selling BB, there is this misconception that the doors are about to be locked.

People need to get out for some fresh air or something
    09-06-13 01:49 PM
    Because the auto sector employees over 170,000 people in Ontario alone And much more in other places through out canada.

GM as a company is a totally different market than blackberry is. The auto sector will always be around. One was broke one isn't. The tech sector is high risk and only the strong survive. Blackberry is shaping up to be another Nortel because of incompetent management. To stupid to learn from their past!

A sale is their only hope to save themselves.
    GM was out of money and out of options. BB is not. Nortel was cooking the books, they were mired in corruption, debt and also had no options....again, BB does not have any of those issues
    Alphax45 likes this.
    09-06-13 01:51 PM
    I think the more interesting issue will be whether in a potential sale, the Canadian government blocks it or not.
    Alphax45 and ibpluto like this.
    09-06-13 01:51 PM
    I think the more interesting issue will be whether in a potential sale, the Canadian government blocks it or not.
    ^^This
    09-06-13 01:53 PM
    American and Canadian government dynamics are totally different towards their corporate peers
    09-06-13 02:05 PM
    stake i don't think so,that it will happen
    09-06-13 02:06 PM

They do not have $3B but much less..it is easy to inflate a cash position with account tricks (delay account payable)
    aniym likes this.
    09-06-13 02:10 PM
    BBRY has enough cash if Canadian Govt. help they can give premium($18) to its share holders and make their company private. US govt. helped American Insurance, GM , Citi Bank and many more companies and these company rewarded US companies with handsome money then why Canadian Govt is not helping its Canadian Jewel.
    I assume the federal Conservative government is not interested in buying BlackBerry shares at a premium or at market price. That would be tough for them to explain politically to voters, particularly in southern Ontario, who are directly affected by BlackBerry's rounds of layoffs. Also, this government is led by a cabinet that is ideologically opposed to direct economic intervention especially while it is struggling to reduce deficits. They would sooner see BlackBerry broken up or sold off to non-Canadians than step in to prop it up for a few years before selling it off at a loss themselves.
    09-06-13 02:15 PM
    They do not have $3B but much less..it is easy to inflate a cash position with account tricks (delay account payable)
    There is no debt, no legacy costs, it doesn't need to be cold hard cash, its $3 billion in assets (liquid and tied). Point is, there is no debt, there is no fear of not being able to pay employees or pay suppliers. If BB does absolutely nothing, and just sits there....it could take YEARS to bleed out!! But they are not doing nothing, reality is, they are still selling phones (maybe not as much as they would like or more accurately what other s would want), they are still installing BES into corporations, QNX still controls and is growing in the automotive space, there is revenue coming in.

They do NOT need a bail out, NOR would they get one. This isn't GM or the banks, BB is NOT underwater.

BB's biggest problem is they are not Apple or Samsung....so that must mean they will die. stop, and think about the hysteria in here. It's becoming laughable
    09-06-13 02:17 PM
    There is no debt, no legacy costs, it doesn't need to be cold hard cash, its $3 billion in assets (liquid and tied). Point is, there is no debt, there is no fear of not being able to pay employees or pay suppliers. If BB does absolutely nothing, and just sits there....it could take YEARS to bleed out!! But they are not doing nothing, reality is, they are still selling phones (maybe not as much as they would like or more accurately what other s would want), they are still installing BES into corporations, QNX still controls and is growing in the automotive space, there is revenue coming in.

They do NOT need a bail out, NOR would they get one. This isn't GM or the banks, BB is NOT underwater.

BB's biggest problem is they are not Apple or Samsung....so that must mean they will die. stop, and think about the hysteria in here. It's becoming laughable
    couldn't have said it any better
    mathking606 and ibpluto like this.
    09-06-13 02:40 PM
49 12