My reason for using Bbm is very important to me. I travel outside of Canada a lot to the U.S. and Europe. With Bbm using a pin rather than a phone number I have no problems using different sim cards as I travel. With Whatsapp the use of phone numbers as the ID would be a major chore to change each time I switch sim cards.
    As someone wrote above Whatsapp is simple. I guess that answers why it is used by most iPhone owners.
    sparkaction, gfondeur and byex like this.
    01-18-15 09:14 AM
    As someone wrote above Whatsapp is simple. I guess that answers why it is used by most iPhone owners.
    Yeah, pop it in and you're connected... :-)

�   2015 - already in full swing - berry good ...   �
    01-18-15 05:43 PM
    My reason for using Bbm is very important to me. I travel outside of Canada a lot to the U.S. and Europe. With Bbm using a pin rather than a phone number I have no problems using different sim cards as I travel. With Whatsapp the use of phone numbers as the ID would be a major chore to change each time I switch sim cards.
    Lol
    that's so freaking true!!!
    01-18-15 06:42 PM
    I have been in that scenario a few times and BBM much more convenient when switching sims while travelling.

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE likes this.
    01-18-15 07:00 PM
    BBM Fall Preview | Inside BlackBerry

91 million. Confirmed by Chen.
    Chen is delusional if he thinks anyone believes those numbers!

Posted via CB10
    01-18-15 07:03 PM
    I'm not a big messaging user at all, but when I try to get people to use BBM, it just doesn't work. I have friends and family that signed up for BBM because I asked them to, but they don't actually use it all. They all want me to use WhatsApp, and I may have to give in and use it if I want to keep in touch with them.
    01-18-15 07:05 PM
    Why can't Bbm give the user two options to add other users...1 pin 2 phone number is this a good suggestion or what? Or is it at all possible??

Posted via CB10
    There is more then 2 options, PIN, BlackBerry ID, Email, Barcode, text, and NYC. Text would pretty much be by phone number... Why do people think PIN is the only way?

Posted via CB10
    01-19-15 12:29 AM
    Chen is delusional if he thinks anyone believes those numbers!

Posted via CB10
    Because you have access to inside information that says otherwise?

Posted via CB10
    01-19-15 12:31 AM
    Get rid of the PIN. That is the only reason I dont have lots of people to use it with.
    The PIN is the whole point of BBM. It allows for you to share your pin to the public without having to disclose your phone number.

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE likes this.
    01-19-15 08:30 PM
    The PIN is the whole point of BBM. It allows for you to share your pin to the public without having to disclose your phone number.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, but I can see why people are asking for the option to add contacts by phone # or PIN. If you give up the option, we can decide how careful we want to be about sharing our phone number.
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    01-20-15 06:14 AM
    Yes, but I can see why people are asking for the option to add contacts by phone # or PIN. If you give up the option, we can decide how careful we want to be about sharing our phone number.
    That would be a nice option.

Not Fours Years But A Lifetime
    01-20-15 06:56 PM
    That would certainly bolster BBM uptake numbers.... :-)

01-22-15 04:08 AM
    One on one video cross platform should be free, group meetings and conferences should be paid!

Passport Powered
    app_Developer likes this.
    01-22-15 06:32 AM
    One on one video cross platform should be free, group meetings and conferences should be paid!

Passport Powered
    Completely agree, especially when BlackBerry promised the feature cross platform long ago.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-15 08:58 AM
    I am using BBM.
    Love the stickers and voice quality is super, as good as land line.

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE likes this.
    01-30-15 07:53 AM
    That would certainly bolster BBM uptake numbers.... :-)

Yes but that is on of the main features of bbm , don't want random people adding me, you won't believe it, I have started getting whatsapp spam adds

Posted via CB10
    02-01-15 12:56 AM
    BBM needs to FIRST implement features that users of WhatsApp etc take for granted. BBM's weak support for groups and multiperson chat, specially. Sharing options in multiperson and group chats are limited and inconvenient.
    (see thread in my signature for my suggestions on how to improve BBM features - specially, group/multi chat sharing)

SECOND, BBM should make adding users even easier. Use pins but maybe figure out a way to scan user's addressbook and also lookup phone numbers AND emails (right now it only looks at emails, I think). See if those phone numbers match any BBM users. If so, show those as suggested-contacts.

THIRD, once you get the basics right (that is, features that WhatsApp users take for granted AND made adding of contacts easier), BBM should continue to implement new features that makes them stand out (eg: Glympse Location Sharing, Timed Messages etc)

Posted via CB10
    Right, and not just Whatsapp. I REALLY wanted to use BBM when it went cross platform. But I don't really find it has the features that are I think expected now. The main problem for me is that the messages are for the device, not the person. With iMessage a message I send, or is sent to me, will go to my Mac desktop or laptop, iPhone or iPad. I get the message. Likewise when I send a message to my wife she will see it on any of here iOS devices.

Slack is even better and we have started using it at work for this reason. A Slack message I send to someone can be seen on their iOS, Android or desktop computer. With BBM I have to guess what device they might see the message on.
    02-01-15 02:32 PM
    Bbm too can be viewed on BlackBerry/ android / ios or ur computer

Posted via CB10
    02-01-15 10:29 PM
    Bbm too can be viewed on BlackBerry/ android / ios or ur computer

Posted via CB10

That isn't what I'm talking about. The messages are only seen on one of those devices. If it is sent to my iPhone it isn't seen on my Q10 and my iPad, only the iPhone. The others such as Slack have a unique identifier for me, not each device. So a message sent to me is seen on all of my devices, except my BB which doesn't have a Slack app.
    02-02-15 01:12 AM
    Honestly, I think they should sell off BBM while they have the chance. I have literally 0 reason to use BBM over any other chat app. I tried using it but my friends just eventually went to whatsapp anyway. I thought the devs are doing a great job but it probably has a better chance surviving in the enterprise as a standalone service.
    02-02-15 09:43 AM
    I really don't care if BBM goes up against Whatsapp, iMessage, etc. etc. I just want it to dominate Microsoft Lync (for business use) so I don't have to use that piece of crap software anymore!

The real target for BBM will be Lync, Sametime, Spark, etc. In my opinion, if they get those guys out, Whatsapp and iMessage will be entirely irrelevant!

Posted via CB10
    02-02-15 10:23 AM
    Addendum: I probably should've added GoTo, Webex, Mikogo, Skype, and Hangouts to that list.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-15 10:29 AM
    bbm should go all out, provide every type of service. From messaging - email - money - location, etc

Beproud
    02-03-15 01:41 AM
    Yes but that is on of the main features of bbm , don't want random people adding me, you won't believe it, I have started getting whatsapp spam adds

Posted via CB10
    I for myself agree. ^

But: What about voluntary opt-in for those that want this feature?

I'd certainly block or disable it, as I don't want several hundred of my customers' numbers added into my messaging app, one reason why I'm not on WhatsApp...

(... apart from the fact it's pwned by Facebook)

�   Telstra + Classic, Optus + PP, AT&T + PP , Verizon + Classic... why the mix, Mr. Fix?   �
    02-06-15 06:48 AM
49 12