Okay, folks. Let us assume that BlackBerry will transform into a security-minded software company and will close down its device division.

Where will the keyboard patent go to?

I mean who -do you think- will be able to produce devices with a physical keyboard, regardless if it's BB OS or not.

I'm not here to argue with anyone. I'm honestly wondering. Where will I be able to find a physical keyboard phone if BlackBerry stopped producing them (assuming that it is still in business now and hasn't closed down its device division yet)?
    03-16-16 07:06 PM
    The keyboard patent going somewhere else would require another company believing that physical keyboards are important and interesting enough to bother making. If PKB's were really interesting to the majority of consumers, devices like the Passport might have better sales and other companies would be making and featuring PKB devices by now.
    03-17-16 11:09 AM
    They're going nowhere. At first blackberry will try to license it, and realize no one wants to pay blackberry for the ability to make keyboard devices.

Then either sell it cheaply to some Chinese OEM who makes a few devices no one wants and give up on it.

Or they manage to carve out a niche for cheap.

Or just use it to be patent trolls.

Or the other thing that might happen, is someone else making a keyboard device, BlackBerry dues and lose because they have no devices on the market, so can't claim tort, and the patent gets invalidated.

Posted via overheating lollipop Priv
    03-17-16 12:26 PM
    They'll license it to Ryan Seacrest and Typo.
    03-17-16 12:50 PM
    Okay, folks. Let us assume that BlackBerry will transform into a security-minded software company and will close down its device division.

Where will the keyboard patent go to?

I mean who -do you think- will be able to produce devices with a physical keyboard, regardless if it's BB OS or not.

I'm not here to argue with anyone. I'm honestly wondering. Where will I be able to find a physical keyboard phone if BlackBerry stopped producing them (assuming that it is still in business now and hasn't closed down its device division yet)?
    nowhere, it's a patent only for the blackberry style of keyboards. Samsung / Nokia sell keyboard devices all over the world, just not in western countries because it doesn't sell enough for it to be worth it.
    03-17-16 03:57 PM