American Telephone and Telegraph my first job in Long Lines.

For clarity I worked in Long Lines in the 60's.
    Attached Thumbnails when companies took pride-2020-05-26_172232.jpg  
    Last edited by SteinwayTransitCorp; 05-28-20 at 02:26 PM.
    PantherBlitz likes this.
    05-27-20 09:33 AM
    How, exactly, is this tiny piece of undated marketing material and example of actual, earnest, honest "pride?"
    05-27-20 10:01 AM
    I don't invest in companies that want to add pride as an expense. I invest in companies that will make me a return on that investment.

If however they can bamboozle the public to think they have pride, and subsequently increase their sales, then great.
    05-27-20 10:13 AM
    I wonder if AT&T hadn't been broken up... if the internet would even exist as it does today.

This is an ad used in 1920's by AMERICAN TELEPHONE AND TELEGRAPH COMPANY..... SteinwayTransitCorp don't tell me you worked there back then?
    05-27-20 11:49 AM
    Very simple, the company owned by the public when there was no pensions or SS as we know it today. Many people lived on the dividends the Company paid and never missed even during the great depression. When I worked for the Bell System we had great pride, pride in the fact when the nation need secure and reliable communication. We provided it, those who are not that old can't remember a time of no mobile or instant service. I had great pride when after 911 and the Towers came down most mobile service was knocked out. But the Bell System equipment (now serviced by Verizon) came back on and all the redundancy we built in worked.
    05-27-20 06:36 PM
    I don't invest in companies that want to add pride as an expense. I invest in companies that will make me a return on that investment.

If however they can bamboozle the public to think they have pride, and subsequently increase their sales, then great.
    Your not old enough to know what the Bell System was, It paid a dividend even during the great depression. People lived on what the Company paid. Bamboozle? No a true honestly public owned company.
    05-27-20 06:41 PM
    No I worked for them in the 60's in the Long Lines Division. Also if the Company had been left alone the NET as we know it today would be the same if not better. In 1965 the Bell System had full video calling.
    05-27-20 06:43 PM
    Your not old enough to know what the Bell System was, It paid a dividend even during the great depression. People lived on what the Company paid. Bamboozle? No a true honestly public owned company.
    Didn't realise you were 100 years old!
    05-27-20 06:57 PM
    Very funny, the Bell System was going strong in the 60's 70's 80's. I did not know your we're that young ! !
    05-28-20 02:18 PM
    Very funny, the Bell System was going strong in the 60's 70's 80's. I did not know your we're that young ! !
    You were discussing the great depression.
    05-28-20 02:20 PM
    Yes I know, but the Company was always proud of that fact, at every stock holders meeting it was a real point of pride that the Company never missed a dividend payment.
    05-28-20 02:23 PM
    Yes I know, but the Company was always proud of that fact, at every stock holders meeting it was a real point of pride that the Company never missed a dividend payment.
    Didn't that just assure themselves of obtaining further shareholder capital later on?

Pride is only a thing if it has the affect of improving results. It doesn't mean a thing in and of itself. A corporation is a piece of furniture, not an emotional being.

That doesn't mean an individual employee can't be proud of his/her contribution.

It seems like you're being suckered into marketing hype, or are experiencing some kind of revisionism of the "good old days".
    05-28-20 02:36 PM
    American Telephone and Telegraph was called the widows and orphans fund. Because it always paid no matter what that check came. As for pride it comes from the top down. Yes it is the employee but it must come from somewhere, unlike today we knew our jobs we're important to the Nation. No matter what the lines must be kept operational.
    05-28-20 02:46 PM
    American Telephone and Telegraph was called the widows and orphans fund. Because it always paid no matter what that check came. As for pride it comes from the top down. Yes it is the employee but it must come from somewhere, unlike today we knew our jobs we're important to the Nation. No matter what the lines must be kept operational.
    Well I’d say that’s case for AT&T, VZW and the various FIOS and cable providers today also....
    05-28-20 02:50 PM
    yes the Baby Bells are doing very well. AT&T was bought by a Baby Bell and now is a mobile powerhouse. What I miss the most is the friendship with the men you worked with, while it was great to go in the Navy and serve it was my first job.
    05-28-20 02:56 PM
    How hard is it to make enough money to be able to pay dividends.... whey you have a monopoly?

That said.... I get the whole it was your first job thing. In High School I worked for K-Mart and I remember the managers talking about their stocks and the dividends each year. They celebrated the closing of the TG&Y Store across the street.... But a year later the TG&Y building got torn down and a bigger store built.... it was call Wal-mart.

Competition can be a real pain in the dividends.
    05-28-20 03:03 PM
    How hard is it to make enough money to be able to pay dividends.... whey you have a monopoly?

That said.... I get the whole it was your first job thing. In High School I worked for K-Mart and I remember the managers talking about their stocks and the dividends each year. They celebrated the closing of the TG&Y Store across the street.... But a year later the TG&Y building got torn down and a bigger store built.... it was call Wal-mart.

Competition can be a real pain in the dividends.
    LMAO
    05-28-20 03:08 PM
    That is true but the break up was about greed. The whole story line was cheaper long distance service for long haul truckers. That gave us MCI. But the truth was it was about a few making lots of cash while breaking up the worlds greatest phone system. People forget the the service side of this, when you called your phone company. A truck was sent 7 days a week. That's all we had service, I remember the story line was that service would be so cheap that is would be almost free...LOL. Utilities work best as a monopoly. Any time the Government tells you its for your good.....run run very fast.
    05-28-20 03:14 PM
    I wonder if AT&T hadn't been broken up... if the internet would even exist as it does today.
    If anything, the breakup only delayed the roll out of high-speed internet. The Baby Bells were responsible for connecting local customers, while AT&T still controlled the long-distance business and the interstate infrastructure. The Bells had little interest in connecting customers to networks that they did not own.
    05-28-20 03:49 PM
    Very true to a point when the end was coming the Baby Bells still supported Ma Bell. What was really lost in all of this was the demise of two Corporate treasures. One was the loss of Western Electric the other Bell Labs.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-29-20 08:08 AM