VERY, VERY, VERY hard for a large business to scale down and become a small business.

Professionals will pay more for a device if it is truly better than consumer grade products, or if it has features that are unavailable in cheaper devices. The problem that BB has is their hardware isn't better, there OS isn't better, and their ecosystem is almost nonexistent and about to disappear on them. They only thing BB has is a MDM system that works with their devices to make them secure.... but there are levels of security and the question becomes is how many will PAY for BB's security.

Based on BB still using the test installations in their figures and the cuts to license fees, I'm thinking that it isn't very many... and at this point it will be even fewer until something stabilizes the company.
    I think their OS has better multi-tasking and better security. It also has second to none communications capabilities.
    These are things prosumers are interested in. The term used to be used for people who would buy laser discs to watch movies because of the higher quality. They were the people who would buy better camcorders because of the higher resolution.
    I think most people who understand OSes realize that the BB10 OS is superior to both Apples and most definitely Android.
    09-20-13 08:58 PM
    BlackBerry execs use a different dictionary!
    09-20-13 09:00 PM
    It's what you call the people who want your product and will probably buy whatever you release as long as it's new because you've finally come to realize that every other consumer doesn't want your product, or not enough of them want it, so you come up with Prosumer to try to start your own "cool" club.
    Last edited by Moonbase0ne; 09-20-13 at 11:03 PM.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    09-20-13 09:03 PM
    It was you call the people who want your product and will probably buy whatever you release as long as it's new because you've finally come to realize that every other consumer doesn't want your product, or not enough of them want it, so you come up with Prosumer to try to start your own "cool" club.
    Yep, that's what I said earlier.
    09-20-13 09:11 PM
    According to the Forbes article...

"The term ?prosumer? has transformed from meaning ?professional consumer? to meaning ?product and brand advocate.? Rather than simply ?consuming? products, people are becoming the voices of those products and significantly impacting the success or failure of companies, products, and brands, particularly through their involvement on the social web."

So... they're basically just gonna sell to CrackBerrians...

Posted via CB10
    09-20-13 09:14 PM

"The term ?prosumer? has transformed from meaning ?professional consumer? to meaning ?product and brand advocate.? Rather than simply ?consuming? products, people are becoming the voices of those products and significantly impacting the success or failure of companies, products, and brands, particularly through their involvement on the social web."

Posted via CB10
    Forbes is making things up. Prosumers are people who want to spend more for what they think are superior products. BlackBerry has always be saying its product is superior in security, multi-tasking and stability. If the average person does not care, maybe that mythical prosumer will.
    Last edited by timmy t; 09-20-13 at 10:20 PM.
    BBVegasGirl80 likes this.
    09-20-13 09:51 PM
    Forbes is making things up. Prosumers are people who want to spend more for what they thin are superior products. BlackBerry has always be saying its product is superior in security, multi-tasking and stability. If the average person does not care, maybe that mythical prosumer will.
    Prosumers aren't dummies either. Why pay more for lower specs devices?
    09-20-13 10:00 PM
    Because you defend the brand by reasoning that it's not the size of the specs that matter, it's how you use them.

Oh wait... wrong forum.

Posted via CB10
    kevinnugent likes this.
    09-20-13 10:25 PM
    SMARTPHONE PROSUMER
    �2013 BlackBerry Ltd
    09-21-13 01:54 AM
    I think this is just Blackberrys way of explaining that their phones won't be available from carrier stores anymore. "Prosumers"'will have to get them either from their company's IT department or buy them contract free from Blackberry itself or another retailer.
    09-21-13 02:00 AM
    I think their OS has better multi-tasking and better security. It also has second to none communications capabilities.
    These are things prosumers are interested in. The term used to be used for people who would buy laser discs to watch movies because of the higher quality. They were the people who would buy better camcorders because of the higher resolution.
    I think most people who understand OSes realize that the BB10 OS is superior to both Apples and most definitely Android.
    Considering that Blackberry only sold a million or two BB10 devices last quarter, and is writing down almost a billion dollars of inventory they couldn't sell, I see two possibilities.

1. There really only is a million or two "prosumers" in the mobile market. Despite the millions of people employed just in the tech industry alone, only a couple of million people "understand operating systems".

2. You're wrong. BB10 is either inferior to other operating systems, or the perceived superiority doesn't really matter, as its only one of many factors that decide a products popularity and sales.

My money is on the second option. Though you clearly do have a point.

Judging from the number of people on Crackberry alone, who write nonsense like "BB10 is a micro kernel OS, and therefore much better!" or "BB10 is QNX, which is running in all cars and nuclear power plants!" the number of people who "understand OSes" is a frightfully small minority....
    kevinnugent likes this.
    09-21-13 02:10 AM

Judging from the number of people on Crackberry alone, who write nonsense like "BB10 is a micro kernel OS, and therefore much better!" or "BB10 is QNX, which is running in all cars and nuclear power plants!" the number of people who "understand OSes" is a frightfully small minority....
    Thankfully so.
    09-21-13 06:01 AM

Posted via CB10
    LOL but if this is true they pissed off a considerable per centage when they aborted BB10 for playbook after promising up to the last minute to bring it out.
    09-21-13 07:42 AM
    It's what you call the people who want your product and will probably buy whatever you release as long as it's new because you've finally come to realize that every other consumer doesn't want your product, or not enough of them want it, so you come up with Prosumer to try to start your own "cool" club.
    So prosumers are fanboys?

Prosumers must be people who are willing to pay more for less and don't care about dumb apps and happy to take whatever is thrown at them. There are many like that.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    09-21-13 07:54 AM
    Because the OS is not speced. And also, I would think people now realize that a 5.7 litre engine is not necessarily more powerful than a 2.0 litre engine. It depends on a lot of other factors.
    09-21-13 07:57 AM
    If a prosumer's bank releases an app that allows convenience features like check depositing, would a prosumer expect access to that app?

Does a prosumer expect access to the their choice of navigation apps with real-time traffic information when they travel?

Does a prosumer expect a state-of-the art camera when they are taking pictures on their smartphone?

Does a prosumer want their phone to lock when they aren't using it and then to be able to unlock it without entering in a password 30 times a day?

I expect my smartphone to do all this. We all are prosumers. It's the democratization of luxury. All cars now come with power windows, power steering, automatic transmissions, air bags out the wazoo, and the electronic safety features. And we are all hyper-communicators, by the way.

Apple and Android package all this stuff up and give it to you for $199 to $399 plus whatever they can extract from the carriers plus whatever the app developers can make marketing to you. They will even let you buy again every year if you want.

If Blackberry can't deliver that then they are going to go out of business. We're the prosumers. If they can't make us happy then they won't make anyone else happy either.
    chr1sny likes this.
    09-21-13 08:10 AM
    So prosumers are fanboys?

Prosumers must be people who are willing to pay more for less and don't care about dumb apps and happy to take whatever is thrown at them. There are many like that.
    There aren't that many(judging by the sales report).
    Last edited by MartyMcfly; 09-21-13 at 09:00 AM.
    09-21-13 08:13 AM
    Funny how BB can come up with a creative name for their target market but have a hard time being creative with their advertisements.
    BroncoVAL likes this.
    09-21-13 08:50 PM
    What Blackberry have done is quite ingenius. Rather than design and build devices for their target market, they have made up a segment of target audience to suit their devices!! It's simply exquisite in it's spinability. Complete marketing/PR hogwash though. Won't work.
    09-21-13 08:57 PM
    What Blackberry have done is quite ingenius. Rather than design and build devices for their target market, they have made up a segment of target audience to suit their devices!!
    LOL this is genius!
    09-21-13 09:07 PM
    Well...when we were waiting for a new focus on 'Prosumers' (i.e certainly pricey devices for niche market) here comes the leaked pics of the 'Americano' an entry level phone...
    Or maybe, as i noticed on another thread, to let go BB7 you need to have cheap devices to introduce BB10 to consumers who are seeking for legacy devices (because of their prices).

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 06:26 AM
    I heard Alicia Keys is a prosumer
    09-22-13 06:28 AM
47 12