What if BlackBerry is bought by Amazon? In this way they can make that phone they wanted to do but never did

Posted via CB10
    BBVegasGirl80 likes this.
    09-03-13 02:43 PM
    They wouldn't buy BlackBerry.

They ripped the PlayBook, forked Android and launched the Kindle Fire and made a good run of it.

If they wanted smartphones they'd rip the Z10 and put Android on it and happy days.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-13 02:47 PM
    I think Amazon makes sense. They have a forked version of Android, but it's not even to the level of Jelly Bean to my knowledge. They could simply go BB10, utilize the Android runtime (based on Jelly Bean) and use their own App Store for it. Amazon is not just a consumer company - they are growing quite a bit in the enterprise with their cloud computing services. They could literally tackle both aspects using BB10. It'd be quicker for Amazon and they'd get all the carrier relationships they need (Kindle isn't much outside of the US). BB could suddenly seem cool and have financial backing.
    09-03-13 02:55 PM
    I think Amazon makes sense. They have a forked version of Android, but it's not even to the level of Jelly Bean to my knowledge. They could simply go BB10, utilize the Android runtime (based on Jelly Bean) and use their own App Store for it. Amazon is not just a consumer company - they are growing quite a bit in the enterprise with their cloud computing services. They could literally tackle both aspects using BB10. It'd be quicker for Amazon and they'd get all the carrier relationships they need (Kindle isn't much outside of the US). BB could suddenly seem cool and have financial backing.
    Assuming it were inclined to produce a phone, I'd think Amazon would be more apt to do so with its own Fire-style forked version of Android on it rather than hassle with BB10. That seems like a very roundabout way of doing what Amazon is no doubt capable of doing (producing a phone that runs Android apps from its own app store).
    09-03-13 03:16 PM
    Assuming it were inclined to produce a phone, I'd think Amazon would be more apt to do so with its own Fire-style forked version of Android on it rather than hassle with BB10. That seems like a very roundabout way of doing what Amazon is no doubt capable of doing (producing a phone that runs Android apps from its own app store).

Really. I agree completely. I think the ony thing less plausible than Amazon buying BB is Amazon buying BB and sticking with BB10. Their decision with the Fire shows they know the utility of an industry standard backbone.
    09-03-13 04:05 PM
    Running a forked version of Android is fine for simple media-centric tablets. They don't really need to update it much. There is much more to it when you have to incorporate a radio that works with carriers across the globe. Depending on how extensively their modifications are, it could be a major ordeal to keep their fork updated with the latest version of Android. Or they continue to base their fork on Gingerbread. Amazon has only made modifications to Android, they didn't build it from scratch, so they are limited for the future.

They could take BB10 and have a unique UI and be in total control of, and still have an Android run-time that will run all the Android apps of their store, and be more up-to-date. They'd be abstracting out that layer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Kindle Fire's forked Android is still based off Gingerbread. And that would be likely due to their modifications not being abstracted to another layer, making it easy to swap in Android updates.

With a modified Android that they have now on the Fire, they simply wouldn't get passed by default for carrier testing. They'd need to be fully tested just as BB10 has been. BB10 already has that now and all their carrier relationships. Amazon is pretty much US only. If they want to expand to be a global company, the easiest path is to buy their way there. BB has much more to offer them too - more inroads to the enterprise being one of them. With Samsung looking to get away from Android (and they are the only one that has been successful with Android really), it doesn't make sense that Amazon would want that dependency, or to have to become mobile OS experts by maintaining their own Android port. This would accelerate their plans since MS is ramping up and Android and iOS continue to dominate.

To me it seems to be a strong case for this possibility.
    09-03-13 04:28 PM
    Amazon won't buy BB for several reasons:

• Product-wise, their focus is on consumer products, not enterprise, with the few physical products they offer. (I'm not talking about cloud or other "services", but rather hardware products).
    • They don't have any existing relationships with carriers, nor a distribution system for dealing with carriers. And for much of the world, cell phones are one of the few devices that aren't easily/commonly sold direct-to-the-user. Most people, at least in Amazon's primary market of North America, buy phones from carriers.
    • Amazon's ecosystem, other than books, is very limited outside the US. While I expect it will grow over time, right now, they don't have much if anything to offer in BB's strongest markets. Thus, there's little synergy between Amazon and BB.
    • Phones require support, and I'm not sure that Amazon is interested in products that would require this level of support, especially on a global basis. They only make Kindles to sell more of their licensed content, but I don't see a BB10 phone helping Amazon sell a lot of content in NA, especially considering BB's current sales and brand image here.
    • Amazon already has a commitment to Android. They have their own Android-based market with many of their own Android apps.

Finally, Bezos has had plenty of opportunities to get into the smartphone business, and could easily partner with Samsung, HTC, LG, Asus, or whomever to build one if they wanted to. It would take very little for, say, LG to make an "Amazon Edition" of one of their existing Android phones, and it could be hooked right into the Amazon market. But Bezos simply isn't interested. His focus is on growing other areas of his business.
    09-03-13 09:20 PM
    Looking at the financial reports of Amazon for the past several years, you will find that Amazon barely makes any money. It's balance sheet is even worse than BlackBerry's. I doubt Amazon can get enough money to pay for BlackBerry purchase.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-13 10:10 PM
    Amazon won't buy BB for several reasons:

*Product-wise, their focus is on consumer products, not enterprise, with the few physical products they offer. (I'm not talking about cloud or other "services", but rather hardware products).
    Their foray into cloud computing and services shows they are interested in servicing the enterprise. Adding BB would fill in that piece (assuming they are interested in doing so).
    *They don't have any existing relationships with carriers, nor a distribution system for dealing with carriers. And for much of the world, cell phones are one of the few devices that aren't easily/commonly sold direct-to-the-user. Most people, at least in Amazon's primary market of North America, buy phones from carriers.
    BlackBerry already has those relationships and the distribution system. So they'd be acquiring that missing piece. Buying phones from the carrier just means the carrier is their customer. But I expect Amazon would directly sell the phones too (they already do, including for contracts).
    *Amazon's ecosystem, other than books, is very limited outside the US. While I expect it will grow over time, right now, they don't have much if anything to offer in BB's strongest markets. Thus, there's little synergy between Amazon and BB.
    I agree that their ecosystem is US-centric, but if they are planning on expanding globally, which I expect them to do, then this would help them set the stage.
    *Phones require support, and I'm not sure that Amazon is interested in products that would require this level of support, especially on a global basis. They only make Kindles to sell more of their licensed content, but I don't see a BB10 phone helping Amazon sell a lot of content in NA, especially considering BB's current sales and brand image here.
    Since they would be buying BB, they'd have all the support and infrastructure they need. For phones though, most support is through the carrier, so they wouldn't be taking on any additional burden. Buying BB would give them the pieces they need to expand globally. I think Amazon's image is good enough to offset the negative BB perceptions, which that along with money would be BB's main benefit.
    *Amazon already has a commitment to Android. They have their own Android-based market with many of their own Android apps.
    That commitment to Android is only as a fork, and it's not merely a UI layer on top. Merging their changes with newer Android releases will become more and more difficult, and so effectively their Android support just comes down to app compatibility. Which BB10 already has and is improving. They could take their Android-based market and easily just put it on BB10 (removing the necessity for conversion to bar files). The question is, is their Android fork as good as BB10? I don't think so.

Finally, Bezos has had plenty of opportunities to get into the smartphone business, and could easily partner with Samsung, HTC, LG, Asus, or whomever to build one if they wanted to. It would take very little for, say, LG to make an "Amazon Edition" of one of their existing Android phones, and it could be hooked right into the Amazon market. But Bezos simply isn't interested. His focus is on growing other areas of his business.
    Sure, they could do that. But they wouldn't "own" it, so they wouldn't really have control over it to properly market, sell, and make it a success like the Kindle Fire. Bezos is unpredictable so who knows.
    09-05-13 01:20 PM