BB10.3.3 is taking FOREVER, and it's only a minor update. Updating both BB and Android is a huge drain on BlackBerry, and you have to admit BlackBerry 10 is dying fast. Many apps are leaving the BB world and the Android run time is on Jelly Bean. What if they stop updating BB10 after fixing as many bugs as they can, and make Android an optional update? With Nougat multi-screen and Material Design, squared displays are a-OK. Android is the new direction of BlackBerry, but that doesn't mean BB10 devices should be left to die. BBdroid is great IMO and security is only getting better with Nougat.
    10-26-16 10:45 PM
    What if they stop updating BB10 after fixing as many bugs as they can, and make Android an optional update?
    Won't happen but it'd be cool lol.
    10-26-16 10:49 PM
    I think it'd cheaper updating one OS, so by an economic standpoint it would save money. Also, lots of happy customers. Only question is if its possible to put Android on BB10 devices, and we saw it on a Passport.
    10-27-16 07:25 AM
    I think it'd cheaper updating one OS, so by an economic standpoint it would save money. Also, lots of happy customers. Only question is if its possible to put Android on BB10 devices, and we saw it on a Passport.
    BlackBerry will give you Android with PRIV, DTEK50 and DTEK 60. They wouldn't gain any revenue even if they could update old BB10 devices to Android. Disincentive to upgrade old devices. Buy a new device and remember the old days with happy memories.
    xandros9 likes this.
    10-27-16 07:33 AM
    They aren't really making money updating those old BB10 devices, too.
    10-27-16 03:46 PM
    They aren't really making money updating those old BB10 devices, too.
    They stopped losing billions of dollars when they abandoned BB10 devices, so they are actually better off by not updating them anymore.
    andy957 likes this.
    10-27-16 03:49 PM
    They should just be done with it and make a classic and a passport with android also while they're at it (Release the god damn bold 9900) WITH DECENT SPECS and Android

Then i'm sure pretty sure.... they'll make the big bucks.
    10-27-16 04:13 PM
    They should just be done with it and make a classic and a passport with android also while they're at it (Release the bold 9900) WITH DECENT SPECS and Android

No, they wouldn't. People would be unlikely to buy a Classic or Passport Android with the existing hardware. So, now they're faced with the development costs to put new hardware together. Huge money, in all likelihood.
    Tien-Lin Chang likes this.
    10-27-16 04:43 PM
    They should just be done with it and make a classic and a passport with android also while they're at it (Release the god damn bold 9900) WITH DECENT SPECS and Android

I'd buy an updated Classic, even if the only thing updated was the radio (GIMME BAND 12! ARGH!).

I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority there though, and even if a souped-up, Android-powered Classic (which I would also buy) were to magically appear, I think it would be a niche player at best. The market as a whole just doesn't value good keyboards like Crackberry users do. They'd rather have the extra screen space.

Posted on my Model M
    10-27-16 05:51 PM
    But you are getting an Android phone with keyboard with the next release, no?

Posted via CB10
    10-28-16 06:51 AM
    Fact is that they don't stand to make any additional money by updating the existing BB10 devices. They won't just start flying off of the shelves again because the OS was updated (something most consumers won't be aware of anyway).

The most financially sound thing BlackBerry can do is phase out updates and continue on their Android path, leaving existing BB10 users to upgrade to new devices which will hopefully mean [some] additional hardware sales for BlackBerry Android. Which is exactly what they are doing...
    glwerry, JeepBB and Tien-Lin Chang like this.
    10-28-16 07:07 AM
    Fact is that they don't stand to make any additional money by updating the existing BB10 devices. They won't just start flying off of the shelves again because the OS was updated (something most consumers won't be aware of anyway).

The most financially sound thing BlackBerry can do is phase out updates and continue on their Android path, leaving existing BB10 users to upgrade to new devices which will hopefully mean [some] additional hardware sales for BlackBerry Android. Which is exactly what they are doing...
    Yup, that is the sad truth. It is a shame that they couldn't make it with such a good OS, and hardware. Z10 is a cute device but couldn't get through. Passport was a huge device - a gutsy step by BlackBerry. Priv was a surprisingly brave step. But none have got the appeal and attention from the public. Going on investing in them devices would mean nothing but drain of money. May be they should have come up with very cheap handsets at least to grab attention for while. Anyhow their strategy for Hardware never got the momentum that the company required. At least their foray in to the Software side is working great and may be they might turn back to devices again. Fingers Crossed.

Posted via CB10
    glwerry likes this.
    10-28-16 12:11 PM
    The fact that current BB10 users have not upgraded their phones to the Android phone, indicates that if BlackBerry were to end all support for BB10 or cancel it, those same users may not transfer to the Android platform. I am a current BB10 user as is my wife, my daughters and their husbands. Obviously many users are happy with BB10 and have no desire to give it up. But don't assume we will transfer to BlackBerry Android, otherwise we would have done so already.

Posted via CB10
    aiharkness and Zeratul57 like this.
    12-18-16 09:37 PM
    The fact that current BB10 users have not upgraded their phones to the Android phone, indicates that if BlackBerry were to end all support for BB10 or cancel it, those same users may not transfer to the Android platform. I am a current BB10 user as is my wife, my daughters and their husbands. Obviously many users are happy with BB10 and have no desire to give it up. But don't assume we will transfer to BlackBerry Android, otherwise we would have done so already.

Posted via CB10
    So leave already. BlackBerry is fine with you leaving over BB10. Cheaper to lose a BB10 customer than lose money supporting a dying OS.
    12-18-16 10:08 PM
    Obviously you can keep using BB10 as long as it continues to work for you - but you have to know that those days are numbered, because technology keeps moving forward, while BB10 is not, and more and more things will break as standards change and minimum requirements are increased.

When that time arrives, it's likely that your choices will be: iOS or Android - given that WinPhone's marketshare is plummeting and no other platform is even remotely competitive. At some point, you will have to make a choice...
    12-19-16 12:04 AM
    They stopped losing billions of dollars when they abandoned BB10 devices, so they are actually better off by not updating them anymore.
    That is simply not true. I am surprised you actually posted this nonsense. lol
    BB10 should not only be updated but they should also continue releasing BB10 based smartphones. Because its a lot better and more secure than anything "Android". The whole point here is to eventually squeeze out Android in favor of the 100X better BB10 OS. For obvious reasons. Of Course.
    12-24-16 06:28 PM
    BB10 should not only be updated but they should also continue releasing BB10 based smartphones. Because its a lot better and more secure than anything "Android". The whole point here is to eventually squeeze out Android in favor of the 100X better BB10 OS. For obvious reasons. Of Course.
    The next version of Android with BlackBerry additions will be secure as BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-16 07:35 PM
    The next version of Android with BlackBerry additions will be secure as BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    Not as secure, in that security through obscurity doesn't work with Android.
    12-24-16 08:28 PM
    I'm really curious, when bb10 natively unhook with bis/bes service. How much safer you can get when you using carrier SMS service, gmail and some sideloaded apps like cloud storage/work over cloud, IM like the rest of the world?

When carrier pulled off bis/bes service I don't see how bb10 can be safe than other platform?
    12-26-16 12:29 PM
    Being more secure or better has nothing to do with earning or losing money. When the company is losing huge among of money within every hardware they released it's obvious smart move to stop doing that. Also due to the small user base and unhealthy ecosystem it's also clear that keep the rd team to maintain and develop the OS will not giving them the equal payback they are looking for.

You can't save the company by those fanboy reason. Being better or safer or unique is pointless if it can't bring back the profit to maintaining a healthy company.
    app_Developer likes this.
    12-26-16 12:37 PM
    I'm really curious, when bb10 natively unhook with bis/bes service. How much safer you can get when you using carrier SMS service, gmail and some sideloaded apps like cloud storage/work over cloud, IM like the rest of the world?

When carrier pulled off bis/bes service I don't see how bb10 can be safe than other platform?
    BB10 using standard SMS, email, etc. is about as safe as everything else using those same standard protocols; maybe less so, given the lack of updates.
    12-26-16 01:01 PM
    What if BB10 devices...-1482781999160.jpg
    12-26-16 01:53 PM
    What good does it do to make something than almost no one is willing to buy?

There is evidence that BlackBerry lost Billions of dollars in their attempt to relaunch their smartphone business with BB10. Try to say otherwise is kinda nonsense....

Few here will argue with the potential that BB10 had or that we would have prefered to see it come out at least as a contender (don't see how it would have squeeze out Android). Maybe if BlackBerry had been a forward thinking company that was already looking at a replacement for JAVA back in 2005 and released BB10 in 2007..... but 2013, it was just too little, too late.
    12-27-16 02:52 PM
    That's why I don't understand those maniac jibber-jabber can repeat itself year after year.....lol

Keep saying how good/advance/safe of BB10 in the end of 2016 is really nonsense

How can being real-time/resource-saving helping end-user UX in any sensible aspect when other platform are far ahead in hardware spec in similar price range?

How can BB10 be safer when less and less BIS/BES service available and it not capable to pack something new like biometric-based protection mechanism?

What good for end-user when those great potential which never deliver?

And yet those fanboy still can keep singing their hollow lyrics.....omg
    12-27-16 09:16 PM
    That's why I don't understand those maniac jibber-jabber can repeat itself year after year.....lol

Keep saying how good/advance/safe of BB10 in the end of 2016 is really nonsense

How can being real-time/resource-saving helping end-user UX in any sensible aspect when other platform are far ahead in hardware spec in similar price range?

How can BB10 be safer when less and less BIS/BES service available and it not capable to pack something new like biometric-based protection mechanism?

What good for end-user when those great potential which never deliver?

And yet those fanboy still can keep singing their hollow lyrics.....omg
    Reeeeeeeeeeeee!

Normies get out!

Or something like that.
    tar0n likes this.
    12-28-16 04:02 AM
68 123