I've been using Android for a few years and it's still crap. I can't find a single advantage over OS10.
    I can tell you several disadvantages that BB10 has compared to Android now.

Also, I never really found any real advantages of BB10 proper over Android proper at the OS level.
    03-31-21 01:34 PM
    I can tell you several disadvantages that BB10 has compared to Android now.

Also, I never really found any real advantages of BB10 proper over Android proper at the OS level.
    I don't know back in 2013 I think BB10 might have had a few OS level advantages..... certainly on the security side of things. But Android has come a long way in the last eight years, while BB10 is stuck in time. Not such a great thing to be stuck in time when the rest of the world, and the internet is moving forward.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    03-31-21 01:54 PM
    I'm pointing out the things that Android objectively does infinitely better.

I like BB10 too, but I'm not going to pretend. Hard to imagine the poster not having ever used a browser for instance.
    I use Android too and agree that it has more advantages today than BB10, for me. But above was the person's opinion. It works for him and Android doesn't, despite using the latter for a few years. To that person, BB10 has the advantages, not Android. What's wrong with that statement?

BB10 does file management just fine. What's objectively infinitely better about how Android handles that?

No one's asking you to pretend BB10 is better, but why do you have to jump all over posts that express an opinion that differs from yours and then coat yours as objective fact?
    Last edited by mh1983; 03-31-21 at 02:14 PM.
    03-31-21 02:02 PM
    I use Android too and agree that it has more advantages today than BB10. But above was the person's opinion. It works for him and Android doesn't, despite using the latter for a few years. What's wrong with that statement?

BB10 does file management just fine. What's objectively infinitely better about how Android handles that?

No one's asking you to pretend BB10 is better, but why do you have to jump all over posts that express an opinion that differs from yours?
    Nothing wrong with opinion. I was just providing my own.

And yes, file management was abysmal on BB10. Local was fine, but integration with ftp, WebDAV, etc was non-existent.
    03-31-21 02:18 PM
    I'm pointing out the things that Android objectively does infinitely better.

I like BB10 too, but I'm not going to pretend. Hard to imagine the poster not having ever used a browser for instance.
    Notification profiles and LED customization are so much better on BB10.

Light Flow Legacy app for Android is making much better use of the LED than the default Android/app behavior, but it's still not as refined as what BB10 offers.
    03-31-21 03:36 PM
    Let's get back to the topic, please -- and skip the bickering.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    03-31-21 04:49 PM
    Notification profiles and LED customization are so much better on BB10.
    Agree. The hub (coupled with the seamless integration in the OS) was also ahead of its time.
    03-31-21 05:39 PM
    Let's get back to the topic, please -- and skip the bickering.
    Topic is pointless... BlackBerry has moved on from smartphones.

And few care if they ever manage to be successful in enterprise or car software....
    04-06-21 08:02 AM
    I don't know back in 2013 I think BB10 might have had a few OS level advantages..... certainly on the security side of things. But Android has come a long way in the last eight years, while BB10 is stuck in time. Not such a great thing to be stuck in time when the rest of the world, and the internet is moving forward.
    I would argue Android had some security advantages over BB10 even back then. BB10 was a mixed bag. Everyone here focused on locked bootloader as if that was all that matters in security. Not even close.
    06-02-21 02:29 PM
    I would argue Android had some security advantages over BB10 even back then. BB10 was a mixed bag. Everyone here focused on locked bootloader as if that was all that matters in security. Not even close.
    I really don't know....

Just that back then a few like Silent Circle were having to take drastic measures to secure a device running Android. But Samsung debuted KNOX in 2013... think it was a year later it got approved by DISA for sensitive use.
    06-02-21 03:00 PM
    I really don't know....

Just that back then a few like Silent Circle were having to take drastic measures to secure a device running Android. But Samsung debuted KNOX in 2013... think it was a year later it got approved by DISA for sensitive use.
    Yeah, but it’s important to remember that mil or gov use cases are very different from corporate cases and those are extremely different from normal end users.

So for example if you use a lot of apps, there were serious security issues with BB10 that never got addressed. Those are not as relevant in a gov environment where users can’t install unapproved apps

They probably would have fixed a lot of this over time. But the idea that BB10 was immediately more secure, overall, than other choices, is a big myth IMO.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-02-21 03:08 PM
    Yeah, but it’s important to remember that mil or gov use cases are very different from corporate cases and those are extremely different from normal end users.

So for example if you use a lot of apps, there were serious security issues with BB10 that never got addressed. Those are not as relevant in a gov environment where users can’t install unapproved apps

They probably would have fixed a lot of this over time. But the idea that BB10 was immediately more secure, overall, than other choices, is a big myth IMO.
    Agree.... and even if BlackBerry was able to fix those issues. They would still have a hard time keeping up with things like Apple, Google and Samsung can. Each of these have 1000 of software developers involved in patching, updating and new software features. Even at Chen's original mark of needing 10 Million units... I doubt that would really keep BB10 "current" and on the same level as Android and iOS. At least not without a significate cost per unit added to each phone.

Still interested in seeing what OM brings to the security side of things....
    07-12-21 03:19 PM
    You simply don't seem to be used to Android yet. You'll learn to love it and wonder how you ever got along without it.
    A frightening thing to read.
    01-16-22 07:41 AM
    The mil / gov level of security isn't even sold to civilians and is probably unusable for everyday stuff? I'm guessing. I'm picturing a grey screen with 2 icons and a text input console.
    01-16-22 07:43 AM
    The mil / gov level of security isn't even sold to civilians and is probably unusable for everyday stuff? I'm guessing. I'm picturing a grey screen with 2 icons and a text input console.
    As a person who's seen a few of those screens, I confirm you're just "guessing".
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-16-22 09:00 AM
    As a person who's seen a few of those screens, I confirm you're just "guessing".
    And so l'm right that it's not sold to ordinary users?
    01-16-22 09:06 AM
    And so l'm right that it's not sold to ordinary users?
    It's things like this which can be purchased if you can band enough ordinary users together and form an large Enterprise size organization to make upfront payment.
    01-16-22 09:12 AM
    I'm guessing they'd still refuse if they thought it was some crowdfunded organisation though. I'm thinking Bittium Tough Mobile 2C. Not that l personally would even want that type of security - l'm responding to a post the nature of which l forget
    01-16-22 09:18 AM
143 ... 456