We don't actually know that the Q10 "hasn't sold that well". The only firm sales report we have is from the last quarter, and the Q had barely started becoming available in most markets before the quarter's end. We'll get a better sense of Q sales in the next quarterly call.

Again, I'll stand by my number; I think BlackBerry needs sales of 4 million BB10 devices for the current quarter just to stay in the game, and preferably 5-6 to demonstrate that they're negotiating the market successfully. If they can't hit 4 mil, though, the following quarter might not even matter.
    Didn't they state on the last call that they were going to stop disclosing sales numbers? If anything I expect even less information on the calls then what little they have been giving.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 02:54 PM
    Subscribers I think not sales info. If they don't give the numbers they might as well close up shop because without those numbers what are investors to go off of
    08-19-13 03:01 PM
    Subscribers I think not sales info. If they don't give the numbers they might as well close up shop because without those numbers what are investors to go off of
    Faith ?

2 Quarters before next sales #s are revealed ? Hmm ? Is the FAT LADY going to start singing ?
    08-19-13 03:17 PM
    The problem with that theory is that BB has effectively killed off any further enterprise adoption with their recent announcement. An enterprise buying into an ecosystem is going to expect a minimum of 3-5 years of support, and BB just admitted they have no way of assuring that. Any CIO who is doing his job is going to see that and make a different decision; choosing BB at this point is just far too risky, when it could mean transitioning to yet another platform within 2 years. Most enterprises are very conservative, and this kind of uncertainty is exactly what they wish to avoid.
    But any buyer who wants to retain any value would assure customers of support of legacy and current devices and BES. But yeah, it'll still scare many away. Agreed.
    08-19-13 03:53 PM
    Yes, they could have pushed back the launch, but the push back from Q4 '12 to Q1 '13 had already strained their credibility with too many critics and potential customers. They had to get SOMETHING out. (A side note: this also explains the excruciating wait for carrier testing; with more money and resources they would have gotten samples out earlier).
    They were also late getting a working version of BES10 out. By "working version", I mean one that could admin iPhones and Droids. The first iterations of BES10 were such ugly implementations, requiring multiple servers in most cases, that corporations had more time to migrate to other platforms.
    How could a company buy BB10 devices if the associated enterprise application was not complete? They lost lots of sales there.
    08-19-13 04:01 PM
    Misek had been one of the most bullish analysts on BBRY. Now he also says this about BB's "strategic alternatives" announcement:
    If Misek's projections are accurate then BlackBerry is done. There's no exit strategy. I will say, though, that it seems a bit premature for Misek to pronounce on Q5 sales in Canada.

We'll just have to see what comes out in the call.

From the awesome PHYSICAL keyboard of my Q10
    08-19-13 05:59 PM
    They were also late getting a working version of BES10 out. By "working version", I mean one that could admin iPhones and Droids. The first iterations of BES10 were such ugly implementations, requiring multiple servers in most cases, that corporations had more time to migrate to other platforms.
    How could a company buy BB10 devices if the associated enterprise application was not complete? They lost lots of sales there.
    I think they've actually been better with BES10 than they've been with the phones themselves. There's no denying, though, that the delays overall gave customers plenty of time to look at alternatives.

08-19-13 06:02 PM
    If Misek's projections are accurate then BlackBerry is done. There's no exit strategy. I will say, though, that it seems a bit premature for Misek to pronounce on Q5 sales in Canada.

We'll just have to see what comes out in the call.

You don't think they could try to make a go of it as a hardware free company? $100 per BES10 user per year could allow them to keep the lights on if they can score some large government and corporate deals.
    08-19-13 07:14 PM
    You don't think they could try to make a go of it as a hardware free company? $100 per BES10 user per year could allow them to keep the lights on if they can score some large government and corporate deals.
    There's lots of competition in the space, and BB's main differentiator is their ability to manage BB10 devices. A shop that isn't using BB10 devices doesn't need BES10, and could save money with a competitor. The success of BES10 in the enterprise was always dependent on BB10 devices selling well. Unfortunately, they haven't.
    danprown and JeepBB like this.
    08-19-13 07:41 PM
    Yes, they could split off the MDM business. But it's the end of BlackBerry as a brand as we know it.

I can't imagine many heated arguments on CB over whether BES10 is better than MobileIron or Good.

danprown likes this.
    08-19-13 09:02 PM
    When the flagship z10 is almost half price brand new on amazon. And production is being slashed. All this within 6 months with horrible sales means that this is pretty much as good as it gets.pumping out cheap.q5 and overpriced z30s won't spark anything.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 09:13 PM
    Aaaaaaand BES is now discounted to $19 per year.
    BlackBerry Announces Reduced Pricing for Enterprise Service Offerings �Inside BlackBerry for Business Blog
    08-19-13 09:35 PM
    This makes sense, might be the push more enterprise need to get on to BES 10 and they will not really lose much revenue due to the reduced pricing since there will be more licenses per enterprise due to Android and Iphone support. Lets hope this works!!!
    08-19-13 09:43 PM
    Yikes. Is that 80% off? Hard to see how this will add up to much revenue now. Obviously demand for this service is very low. From your link:
    "We know the Enterprise Mobility Management market is extremely competitive these days, and customers have a myriad of options when it comes to choosing a solution. With the new pricing model and continued commitment to the latest technology and security, BES10 is better positioned than ever before to be a leader in the EMM space for enterprises managing BlackBerry, iOS, and Android devices."

Slipping on my armchair CEO jacket, the only way to make this work is to drive handset sales with loss leader prices. These phones will then need an MDM solution. What is done is done, but the Z30s stacking up in shipping containers might as well be used as an effort to move the sales percentage needle.
    -Free on contract + 1 month free subscriber service in the US?
    -$300 equivalent in other markets?
    08-19-13 10:29 PM
    When the flagship z10 is almost half price brand new on amazon. And production is being slashed. All this within 6 months with horrible sales means that this is pretty much as good as it gets.pumping out cheap.q5 and overpriced z30s won't spark anything.

Posted via CB10
    I hate to say this but what you say makes sense...that's what I was also thinking...OP you are way optimistic...It ain't going to happen..

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 11:37 PM
    No way we see 4 million sales especially without a true low end device.
    08-20-13 12:24 AM
    Since we already know that this quarter is going to be a dog, surely we are down to one quarter to turn things around?
    mathking606, Rickroller and JeepBB like this.
    08-20-13 02:04 AM
    Although I've already given BBRY a lot, sure, I'll give them two more quarters.

Two more quarters...-double-sided-quarter_heads.jpg
    mathking606, JeepBB and Rickroller like this.
    08-20-13 07:03 AM
    Although I've already given BBRY a lot, sure, I'll give them two more quarters.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Double Sided Quarter_heads.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	194114
    sorry but the only take Canadian quarters.
    08-20-13 12:25 PM
    But now they're charging a fifth of that.
    08-20-13 08:38 PM
    Since we already know that this quarter is going to be a dog, surely we are down to one quarter to turn things around?
    Don't worry, something will come along to reset the 2 quarter clock before these 2 quarters are up.
    08-20-13 10:26 PM
    But now they're charging a fifth of that.
    Dude, you are totally harshing on my buzz.
    mathking606 likes this.
    08-20-13 10:27 PM
    Dude, you are totally harshing on my buzz.
    Lmao, sorry.
    mathking606 likes this.
    08-20-13 10:39 PM
    I'm seeing this at my agency. I'm having one heck of a time trying to keep BlackBerry in the enterprise. Right now moving to BB10 is almost out the window. I'm just trying to maintain what we've got.
    I'd be carefully with that Q. You may begin to be identified as part of the problem. Not being cynical, just an observation based on my 33 years in IBM sales.
    08-21-13 05:52 PM
74 123