All the big money has already been spent on developing the OS. All the changes that are being done in Android are no different in costs to maintain the BB10 OS. They are saving some money because they are no longer updating the apps in BB10, but they are spending more money on bringing the HUB and other stuff to Android than they are maintaining a working HUB. I think the BlackBerry experience has show us that they don't have a good handle on the actual costs of development or feasibility of doing it in the first place. No plans and focus will do that. They are probably spending more money on Android migration than they are in BB10 maintaining. The balance sheet will look the same or worse now that they have moved to Android. I expect bigger losses this quarter than last.
    Let me ask you then, how much do you think it cost Apple to bring iOS9? Total cost, including development, r&d, acquisitions, new technologies, new hardware to accommodate, support infrastructure, facility costs, etc etc. The whole package.
    02-09-16 01:08 PM
    Is BlackBerry open and smart enough to listen to young developers or crowdfunding inventors or looking for start-up?

It's me or it's a common idea that they are just copying and just following?

Posted via CB10
    02-09-16 05:02 PM
    [QUOTE=fingernipp;12256641I really don't think they are saving as much as people thing by going android. I think the leaders have no loyalty to the Blackberry name and don't care what the company looks like. They also have no vision or imagination to actually create an innovative product so they are only able to use what is available. Blackberry for me is a useless company now and will no longer have my support.[/QUOTE]

It's not just about how much they spend, but much more about how many phones they can sell. BB10 phones don't sell. The gamble is that Android based phones will. Time will tell.
    02-10-16 05:44 AM
    Let me ask you then, how much do you think it cost Apple to bring iOS9? Total cost, including development, r&d, acquisitions, new technologies, new hardware to accommodate, support infrastructure, facility costs, etc etc. The whole package.
    Apple's 2015 r&d budget was $8.07 billion.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-16 06:42 AM
    It's not just about how much they spend, but much more about how many phones they can sell. BB10 phones don't sell. The gamble is that Android based phones will. Time will tell.
    And more ad spending would require even more phone sales to cover the costs of ads and phones.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-16 06:58 AM
    He was just using that as en example.
    That's a ridiculous example at best.
    02-11-16 06:30 PM
    And more ad spending would require even more phone sales to cover the costs of ads and phones.

Posted via CB10
    Comes hand in hand, Market and they shall come. Don't market and nobody will know you exist. This nonsense about trying to sell phones without marketing won't work, hasn't worked and yet BlackBerry seems keen on keeping that same mentality.
    Apple is a different story, they continue pouring money in a dead end OS and Platform. They spend an arm and a leg, because they have clever manipulative marketing tactics which helps them sell dated hardware for a premium. This is basic common sense.

Let's thank Apple for causing years of industry wide technological stagnation.
    02-11-16 06:31 PM
    Comes hand in hand, Market and they shall come. Don't market and nobody will know you exist. This nonsense about trying to sell phones without marketing won't work, hasn't worked and yet BlackBerry seems keen on keeping that same mentality.
    But marketing doesn't guarantee sales.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-16 06:32 PM

Apple is a different story, they continue pouring money in a dead end OS and Platform. They spend an arm and a leg, because they have clever manipulative marketing tactics which helps them sell dated hardware for a premium. This is basic common sense.

Let's thank Apple for causing years of industry wide technological stagnation.
    Thanks to Apple for invention the modern cell phone system.
    02-11-16 06:46 PM
    But marketing doesn't guarantee sales.

Posted via CB10
    No it does not, but at least people will see what you have to sell. If people do not know you have products to sell, then how do you expect to sell anything? Strategic Marketing is probably the best. Work closely with Carriers, and help fund strong catchy marketing material to push phone sales.
    Thanks to Apple for invention the modern cell phone system.
    All Apple's has caused is Technology Advancement "Stagnation". They've crippled this industry by way of manipulation. iOS is a very outdated Operating System. But all thanks to this companies manipulative selling tactics, they force locked carriers into signing ripoff contracts. Making them push iPhones onto people regardless what phones the customer wants to buy.

I've experienced this in a Best Buy, in 2013. When I was picking up a BlackBerry PlayBook and looking at a black Z30 they had on display. Was a none working one. The mobile service department literally shoved the iPhone in my face and said you don't want the BlackBerry, because its the same old. Very similar to the BlackBerry BOLD OS, just a couple of enhancements, but nothing new. And kept force feeding me the bloody iPhone.
    I later found out they have no choice but to sell a fixed amount of iPhones or they get penalized by Apple. WHAT? REALLY? And this is what people want to support? Anti-Competition? lol, No Thanks,

Yes Apple has a strong eco system. I agree, but the way they conduct business is not right. Because you end up squeezing MUCH BETTER PRODUCTS out of the market place. i.e.: BB10 & Win10. for example.
    02-11-16 09:55 PM
    No it does not, but at least people will see what you have to sell. If people do not know you have products to sell, then how do you expect to sell anything? Strategic Marketing is probably the best. Work closely with Carriers, and help fund strong catchy marketing material to push phone sales.

All Apple's has caused is Technology Advancement "Stagnation". They've crippled this industry by way of manipulation. iOS is a very outdated Operating System. But all thanks to this companies manipulative selling tactics, they force locked carriers into signing ripoff contracts. Making them push iPhones onto people regardless what phones the customer wants to buy.

I've experienced this in a Best Buy, in 2013. When I was picking up a BlackBerry PlayBook and looking at a black Z30 they had on display. Was a none working one. The mobile service department literally shoved the iPhone in my face and said you don't want the BlackBerry, because its the same old. Very similar to the BlackBerry BOLD OS, just a couple of enhancements, but nothing new. And kept force feeding me the bloody iPhone.
    I later found out they have no choice but to sell a fixed amount of iPhones or they get penalized by Apple. WHAT? REALLY? And this is what people want to support? Anti-Competition? lol, No Thanks,

Yes Apple has a strong eco system. I agree, but the way they conduct business is not right. Because you end up squeezing MUCH BETTER PRODUCTS out of the market place. i.e.: BB10 & Win10. for example.
    Probably if the store doesn't meet their target they don't get the same discount. I make deals like that with vendors too. It's also possible that the reason BB10 and Win10 get squeezes dis that they are inferior. People don't buy an isolated facet of a phone they buy the whole package.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    02-12-16 04:57 AM
    Probably if the store doesn't meet their target they don't get the same discount. I make deals like that with vendors too. It's also possible that the reason BB10 and Win10 get squeezes dis that they are inferior. People don't buy an isolated facet of a phone they buy the whole package.
    iOS and Android are inferior OS's. Based on John Chen's many comments and interviews, I don't think he knows what he wants. Work with Carriers, and try to sell phones, but doesn't tell people they have phones for sale. BB10 offers the complete Package. It only takes people to buy this platform to see it further grow. BlackBerry shows its weakness on hardware pricing and marketing.. That is what hurt them many times in the past. They continue this trend to date. Apple can sell its old outdated junk for a premium, because they can afford too. They have Marketing and Media by the Balls. And many people will fall victim to it.
    nt300 likes this.
    02-13-16 10:37 PM
    Pretty sure all those million z30 and z10 users will most definitely move on to iOS, considering its close sourced and high quality hardware versus android which needs to be secured & is like a needle in a haystack when it comes to not getting hacked and having app vulnerabilities.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-16 11:41 PM
    Move to iOS? Not sure about that. Don't think people want Apple Spy software and phones that bend. No, they want BB10 devices.

Rocking a Z30
    02-14-16 04:29 AM
    Ripping people off, what do you expect? Overpriced lack luster hardware and a iPhone OS that's based on 2007 software tech. But lets not blame Apple for iOS, the people to blame is the people that buy its overpriced iJunk.
    02-14-16 06:38 PM
    Move to iOS? Not sure about that. Don't think people want Apple Spy software and phones that bend. No, they want BB10 devices.

Rocking a Z30
    Nah.
    02-14-16 09:25 PM
    Ripping people off, what do you expect? Overpriced lack luster hardware and a iPhone OS that's based on 2007 software tech. But lets not blame Apple for iOS, the people to blame is the people that buy its overpriced iJunk.
    2007 software. Right. Keep saying it.
    02-14-16 09:26 PM
67 123