After yesterday's gaffs by Mr. Chen (thank you for your frankness, but how do you gain in sales if you threaten to pull hardware?) I will make the following proposal: Microsoft buys Blackberry.

Why? Blackberry and Microsoft are probably the most compatible. Both are business oriented, and combining what Blackberry has in security and hardware could be a good match with what Microsoft comes to the table with: the Office suite and other software, capital for development, and infrastructure. Microsoft would also get QNX which is now replacing Microsoft's systems in vehicles, so it would be, in essence, full-circle and there's room for improvement. Additionally, Microsoft has just shown some signs of innovation with the Surface line, Lumia line and the new wearable Band - some things focused on the consumer market. I feel that this merger would make Microsoft/Blackberry a viable 3rd OS to compete against Apple and Google (IF they can get better developer involvement).

Why not Samsung? Although they are arguably the largest handset manufacturer, they will undermine the perception of Blackberry's security more so than Microsoft. Microsoft still has a position in Canada, unlike Samsung, so there's not a concern about a threat to having secure data moving abroad. I also believe that Samsung's position is more tenuous than Microsoft's.

The hard sell will be on Microsoft if Blackberry's price isn't low enough or should a bidding war erupt.
    10-09-15 08:05 AM
    I think this is an interesting idea. As you said, Microsoft would gain important footholds in enterprise mobility and vehicle infotainment. They could also fund a serious QNX led autonomous vehicle push. I've been a critic of using QNX Neutrino in phones, but autonomous vehicles are a use case that actually makes a lot of sense.

They would have to cancel the Priv, of course.
    thinkinfinity likes this.
    10-09-15 08:20 AM
    Skype and lync and bbm could be married
    10-09-15 06:39 PM
    After yesterday's gaffs by Mr. Chen (thank you for your frankness, but how do you gain in sales if you threaten to pull hardware?) I will make the following proposal: Microsoft buys Blackberry.

Why? Blackberry and Microsoft are probably the most compatible. Both are business oriented, and combining what Blackberry has in security and hardware could be a good match with what Microsoft comes to the table with: the Office suite and other software, capital for development, and infrastructure. Microsoft would also get QNX which is now replacing Microsoft's systems in vehicles, so it would be, in essence, full-circle and there's room for improvement. Additionally, Microsoft has just shown some signs of innovation with the Surface line, Lumia line and the new wearable Band - some things focused on the consumer market. I feel that this merger would make Microsoft/Blackberry a viable 3rd OS to compete against Apple and Google (IF they can get better developer involvement).

Why not Samsung? Although they are arguably the largest handset manufacturer, they will undermine the perception of Blackberry's security more so than Microsoft. Microsoft still has a position in Canada, unlike Samsung, so there's not a concern about a threat to having secure data moving abroad. I also believe that Samsung's position is more tenuous than Microsoft's.

The hard sell will be on Microsoft if Blackberry's price isn't low enough or should a bidding war erupt.
    I would love to see that happening!

Posted via CB10
    10-10-15 08:17 AM
    I think that after the Nokia fiasco, Microsoft will NOT touch another similar company with a 10,000 foot pole!
    Bbnivende likes this.
    10-10-15 08:42 AM
    Marrying POSIX / QNX systems with NT / Windows?

No sure about that. :-D

Microsoft is also leveraging Office to try and kill regular MDM solutions / providers...

�   Ahoy, Privateers...! :-)   �
    10-14-15 09:40 PM
    Microsoft may have (wisely) released the Office team to work on other OSs, because that's where the customers are in mobile, but when it comes to OSs and back-end, they are all-in with Windows. If MS bought BB, they'd pocket all of the patents they felt they could use and sell off the remaining husk for whatever they could get for it, or just kill it and take the write-off (as they've done many times in the past). If you think MS has any interest in a non-Windows-based solution to anything, you're dreaming, and you haven't paid attention to their last 25 years of business decisions.

MS buying BB is instant death for BB - it's just that simple.
    app_Developer, TGR1 and JeepBB like this.
    10-14-15 09:57 PM
    Past history shows that small companies are swallowed whole and cease to exist in the short term... As MS has committed to Windows 10... MS has a MSM solution... unsure what outside of patents BB would have that would interest them.... add to the fact that the Canadian government will impose conditions as they have with Tim Hortons and Burger King... so depending on said stipulations may make any sale unattractive... when you are paying billions for a company you do not want someone telling you what you can and cannot do....
    10-14-15 10:14 PM
    I've always thought that Amazon would be a great match.

Posted Via CB10 on my BlackBerry Passport
    10-14-15 10:16 PM
    You joking?
    Microsoft would be the main beneficiary in the event of a Blackberry demise.
    It makes no sense to team up with a direct competitor like Microsoft.
    Like it or not a partnership with Google is the most logical way for Blackberry to survive
    10-15-15 03:34 AM
    Microsoft may have (wisely) released the Office team to work on other OSs, because that's where the customers are in mobile, but when it comes to OSs and back-end, they are all-in with Windows. If MS bought BB, they'd pocket all of the patents they felt they could use and sell off the remaining husk for whatever they could get for it, or just kill it and take the write-off (as they've done many times in the past). If you think MS has any interest in a non-Windows-based solution to anything, you're dreaming, and you haven't paid attention to their last 25 years of business decisions.

Chuck it on the BBQ... :-)

10-16-15 07:11 AM
    I've always thought that Amazon would be a great match.

Posted Via CB10 on my BlackBerry Passport
    Tracking obsessed merchant plus security / privacy communications company?

8-o

I once thought so, but I'm not sure anymore. :-)

10-16-15 07:12 AM
    Tracking obsessed merchant plus security / privacy communications company?

8-o

I once thought so, but I'm not sure anymore. :-)

•   Ahoy, Privateers...! :-)   •
    Dont forget the Fire Phone debacle
    10-16-15 08:29 AM
    Actually, it does make sense in my books. In any case of a merger or buyout, in the end Blackberry will cease to exist some time after the completion of the transaction. Any and all parties who look at Blackberry would be looking to see what value it brings to the table. Google may find an interest in Blackberry, but I don't believe they'd be inclined to do anything more than minimal support and they'd certainly not buy Blackberry - partnership is a bit of a stretch. There would be imperfections in any deal Blackberry makes, so shy of a sudden turnaround in it's favour, it's hard to see whether Blackberry will continue as it's own entity in the long term. I think a merger with Microsoft would be about tearing apart Blackberry, but I also see it as a win-win for Microsoft - certainly not for Blackberry. On the other hand, should investors take over, I definitely see the death of Blackberry in a short time.
    xxjavaxx2001 likes this.
    10-16-15 12:45 PM
    Microsoft is a poisoned chalice. They absorb other companies and turn them into carcasses whilst exploiting any patents and technologies they acquire.

Microsoft's reputation is even more tarnished than BlackBerry's yet they can afford to throw endless amounts of cash at Windows Phone in a long-range attempt to increase installed base. BlackBerry cannot even find enough money to promote the products they make and the current CEO couldn't run a lemonade stand to save his life.
    10-16-15 06:45 PM

Is it feasible for BlackBerry to make a windows 10 phone or in the alternative a BB10 phone that can run Windows 10 apps? Just a question.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-15 01:20 AM
    Is it feasible for BlackBerry to make a windows 10 phone or in the alternative a BB10 phone that can run Windows 10 apps? Just a question.

Posted via CB10
    Windows 10 works directly against Blackberry's interest.
    Blackberry will suport Windows 10 from a MDM side, but if they started making Windows 10 phones, it's only going to hasten Blackberry's demise.

Stop thinking of hardware only now. Blackberry has spent the last few years repositioning itself as a MDM and service provider.
    Windows 10 is designed so Microsoft can fulfil that role itself.

If hardware became profitable again, then maybe building Windows 10 phones is a possibility, but for now it would threaten Blackberry's core business
    southlander likes this.
    10-17-15 02:38 AM
    Windows 10 works directly against Blackberry's interest.
    Blackberry will suport Windows 10 from a MDM side, but if they started making Windows 10 phones, it's only going to hasten Blackberry's demise.

Stop thinking of hardware only now. Blackberry has spent the last few years repositioning itself as a MDM and service provider.
    Windows 10 is designed so Microsoft can fulfil that role itself.

If hardware became profitable again, then maybe building Windows 10 phones is a possibility, but for now it would threaten Blackberry's core business
    The bit about MDM was very interesting. Did not know that. Tony, what are your thoughts on that.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-15 04:54 AM
    Stay away from Microsoft. Besides my Android phones, I have a Nokia Lumia 635 running Windows Phone 8.1, and what Microsoft did with Nokia is just shameful. They bought the cell division and proceeded to gut the whole thing in less than a year, fired all the employees, and wrote the whole thing off. If Microsoft gets a hold of BlackBerry, it will do the same.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-17-15 09:16 AM
    Microsoft owns so much of the business world because they're actually damn good at enterprise-level technology, so darkehawke is exactly right: supporting Microsoft is only supporting a direct MDM/EMM competitor - and one that already has deep relationships with most companies. MS is far more dangerous to BB than Google.
    southlander likes this.
    10-17-15 09:34 AM
    Microsoft owns so much of the business world because they're actually damn good at enterprise-level technology, so darkehawke is exactly right: supporting Microsoft is only supporting a direct MDM/EMM competitor - and one that already has deep relationships with most companies. MS is far more dangerous to BB than Google.
    Are you saying that Windows 10 will offer the same cross platform services that BES offers for iOS and Android ? That was my question. I understand (now) that Microsoft will provide MDM for it's own phones. It remains to be seen if Window 10 phones gain any kind of traction because they are so far behind.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 10-17-15 at 11:51 AM.
    10-17-15 11:34 AM
    Are you saying that Windows 10 will offer the same cross platform services that BES offers for iOS and Android ? That was my question. I understand (now) that Microsoft will provide MDM for it's own phones. It remains to be seen if Window 10 phones gain any kind of traction because they are so far behind.
    As far as i know they arent offering cross platform support yet. That is still Blackberry's main strength against them.
    From what i can see and hear about Windows 10, they're hoping to sell Windows, Office and MDM support as a package to enterprise. It looks like they're hoping the unified experience across desktop and mobile will tempt enterprises to switch. It's why, i suspect, they put a lot of effort into Universal apps. On paper it looks like a great strategy. Businesses prefer Windows and by moving their mobile software to join in with their popular desktop software it should attract people.
    However this does mean that all the focus is on Windows Phones, and i'm not sure how much they will support other mobile OS, but in my opinion, they need to support other OS if they hope to succeed.
    I'm rather glad that although john Chen has been fairly awful in terms of hardware, he has done a lot of good work setting Blackberry up in the services side and they can attempt to take on Microsoft at this game.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    10-17-15 12:11 PM
    Microsoft? Definitely not.

DELL or IBM is more probable.

Posted via CB10/BB PP SE.
    10-18-15 01:46 AM
    Unfortunately, I don't think Microsoft needs BlackBerry for anything. Microsoft is completely focused on providing a consistent user experience through all Windows 10 devices.

Continuum by Microsoft left me quite impressed, and the new Lumias are quite powerful devices.
    10-18-15 02:53 AM
    Dont forget the Fire Phone debacle
    Yep. No Google Play, no good... apparently... :-\

10-18-15 05:30 PM
33 12