I think I would love to see BlackBerry partner with a company that can help create a construction grade BlackBerry 10. Phone. Android did it with Catapiler with the B-15 have BlackBerry 10 power under something basically indestructible.

Posted via CB10
    geekaren likes this.
    01-13-14 04:16 PM
    Do you really think there's enough of a market for such a niche product to justify the development cost? Why not just a very rugged case like the otterbox defender?
    milo53 and Haytham Hamad like this.
    01-13-14 06:14 PM
    Some people don't like them
    Too bulky. It's just a dream I guess. And if you could do the marketing well it might work. Long shot though and an uphill battle

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 06:45 PM
    I agree!

The best way to achieve this, in my opinion, would be to work out a contract with an Android device maker to dual boot BlackBerry 10 and Android on their devices. That way a person can get the hardware and software combo they want, such as construction grade or water proof phone, without the manufacturer having to make smaller (thus more expensive) runs of specialized devices.

So say Samsung was making a new construction phone, BlackBerry could pay them to dual boot BlackBerry 10 and BlackBerry would ensure that QNX has drivers for the hardware. Or Samsung could do it for free, in exchange for BlackBerry providing the tech support for both versions.

Anyhow, I am sure some kind of arrangement could be made.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 02:21 PM
    Why not just a very rugged case like the otterbox defender?
    I agree.

Defender + a good screen protector has to be construction grade. It would be nice to see BlackBerry offer water resistance though.
    TheDutch20 likes this.
    01-14-14 02:26 PM
    Agreed! The B-15 is waterproof. Unsure on specs of how low and length of time but I was pretty impressed. Only downfall is the internal memory is only 4GB. But you Dan add a micro SD card.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 02:46 PM
    Construction grade? You want to build something with z10? Perhaps you should make destruction grade...

Posted via CB10
    pttptppt likes this.
    01-14-14 02:49 PM
    Construction grade? You want to build something with z10? Perhaps you should make destruction grade...

Posted via CB10
    If you don't like the Z10 or BlackBerry's just say so. No need to pollute another thread with backdoor jabs at BlackBerry.
    01-14-14 03:55 PM
    I remember Nextel making those rugged construction site phones. You could get it in yellow and or camouflage.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 03:58 PM
    Yeah they had a Curve 8350i Mike phone from Telus Canada worth e money
    It is doable. And probably not that much more expensive can be all touch too. Or physical keyboard. I would make sure my boss bought them in droves! Something that would last. Scratch proof and gorilla glass too. Anything is possible

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 08:53 PM
    If you don't like the Z10 or BlackBerry's just say so. No need to pollute another thread with backdoor jabs at BlackBerry.
    FYI, it's a jab at the OP. I've never heard of construction grade, only destruction grade. Could just be me.
    I signed up third BlackBerry user through buying black Friday $200 phones today, as a matter of fact. Chill.
    01-14-14 11:12 PM
    FYI, it's a jab at the OP. I've never heard of construction grade, only destruction grade. Could just be me.
    I signed up third BlackBerry user through buying black Friday $200 phones today, as a matter of fact. Chill.
    Check out the CAT B-15. Pretty neat little device. And the specs could be better in my eyes.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 01:14 AM
    I remember Nextel making those rugged construction site phones. You could get it in yellow and or camouflage.

Posted via CB10
    My ex had one. He ran over it with his truck and it shattered.

So much for construction proof.
    01-15-14 03:24 PM
    Dropping it into wet concrete and cleaning it off and other such plausible occurrences are completely different than running the device over with a thousand pound vehicle...

"Construction Grade", not "I should take better care of my tools grade".

I once broke a $600 Dewalt framing drill by dropping it 5 to 7 feet onto some mucky grass. Was a week old, boss was just a tad upset.

Reality is reality, sista!

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Z10
    Last edited by Tatwi; 01-15-14 at 04:20 PM.
    TheDutch20 likes this.
    01-15-14 04:09 PM
    Agreed some drops and wetness would not be an issue running if over is a completely different experience of circumstances.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 08:27 PM
    Do you really think there's enough of a market for such a niche product to justify the development cost? Why not just a very rugged case like the otterbox defender?
    Tell that to Porsche and the Porsche design.

OP: I agree and think it would be a smart idea, they just have to not mass produce em.

Z30 - The Final Destination - Winnipeg Mb Clothing|Footwear|Headwear|Headshop|Tobacconist|Ta ttoos
    TheDutch20 likes this.
    01-15-14 09:01 PM
    Tell that to Porsche and the Porsche design.

OP: I agree and think it would be a smart idea, they just have to not mass produce em.

Z30 - The Final Destination - Winnipeg Mb Clothing|Footwear|Headwear|Headshop|Tobacconist|Ta ttoos
    Completely agree. Start small with the new number made. As demand grows so does production. And it had to look nice but also be a "new" concept of thinking and marketing

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 09:08 PM
    I'm wishing for a rugged Q10 or Z10 right now. One of my clients is a small town and the public works dept is upgrading to smart phones. The only choice seems to be a Casio Android model on Verizon.
    01-17-14 06:02 AM
    I'm wishing for a rugged Q10 or Z10 right now. One of my clients is a small town and the public works dept is upgrading to smart phones. The only choice seems to be a Casio Android model on Verizon.
    That's too bad. See I knew there was a market for it, all be it probably a small one but a market none the less.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-14 11:57 AM
    I'm on construction sites all the time and have seen tons of smashed up phones being used, shattered glass, gouges, missing keys, etc...I'm sure these are provided by the company and are not byod, workers would never use their own phones on these sites. Companies don't want to replace the smashed phones due to cost so the workers are stuck with them until they completely die.

I think it's a bigger market than some might think....construction is a HUGE industry and rugged phones could expand to military, hunting, etc, etc.

Posted via CB10
    TheDutch20 and Mr.Monty like this.
    01-17-14 12:14 PM
    I'm on construction sites all the time and have seen tons of smashed up phones being used, shattered glass, gouges, missing keys, etc...I'm sure these are provided by the company and are not byod, workers would never use their own phones on these sites. Companies don't want to replace the smashed phones due to cost so the workers are stuck with them until they completely die.

I think it's a bigger market than some might think....construction is a HUGE industry and rugged phones could expand to military, hunting, etc, etc.

Posted via CB10
    THANK YOU! This is the reason I started this thread was to get people talking about it. And of people I love we would pay for a phone of this quality. I say they should explore it for sure I rugged Z10 or Z30 would be the cats ***. As far as I am concerned

Posted via CB10
    01-17-14 02:14 PM
    I would love a rugged BlackBerry phone, we have a bunch of guys at work that would definitely be updated to a rugged BlackBerry if they had one available.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-14 04:22 PM
    I recommended a Samsung rugby to a guy I knew who worked at an auction barn. I actually felt he would have been better off with a curve - he wanted something with a physical button to hit answer (he's often wearing gloves) but he didn't want a BlackBerry . The rugby doesn't give him the answer button but does give him a modern OS within a durable build.

He'd had an iPhone previously but it was a bit too delicate for the number of times he drops the thing on the concrete floor - often under a cows hoof. And yes - he was using a case. Lol.

I agree that there's more demand than maybe people think for a truly durable phone.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-14 08:16 PM
    I'd like to see this happen. There aren't that many rugged phones on the market. Then there's the problem that their specs are typically not very good. I do like the looks of that Cat B-15. Verizon only offers the Casio G'Zone Commando and Casio runs it's own software on top of the Android OS. I haven't tried the 4G version, but the 3G one was pretty sluggish.

It looks like the Cat isn't running any of it's own software, so that's a plus.

01-19-14 09:01 PM
    This is what I hoped for was to start a conversation about these types of phone and why BlackBerry doesn't have one

Posted via CB10
    01-20-14 07:57 AM
42 12