It would make sense for BlackBerry to wait for an announcement about some company picking up the rights to make the next BlackBerry phone until Alcatel Lucent has stopped marketing BlackBerry phones. Is BlackBerry waiting to announce new developments in the manufacturing of Blackberry phones until then. I believe, like a lot of people, that there is still a big appetite for a new keyboard phone. Thoughts?
    05-12-20 02:31 PM
    It would make sense for BlackBerry to wait for an announcement about some company picking up the rights to make the next BlackBerry phone until Alcatel Lucent has stopped marketing BlackBerry phones. Is BlackBerry waiting to announce new developments in the manufacturing of Blackberry phones until then. I believe, like a lot of people, that there is still a big appetite for a new keyboard phone. Thoughts?
    No. And I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to try it. Four company failures in a row with BlackBerry Android paints a pretty clear picture of the market.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    05-12-20 02:51 PM
    I believe, like a lot of people, that there is still a big appetite for a new keyboard phone. Thoughts?
    Sales of the keyboard phone up to now would suggest otherwise.

Besides, if there were news, there would be a front page article on CrackBerry about it, and a 1000 post thread within hours.
    05-12-20 03:25 PM
    Is any company out there wanna burn their money?
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    05-12-20 06:23 PM
    Sales of the keyboard phone up to now would suggest otherwise.

Besides, if there were news, there would be a front page article on CrackBerry about it, and a 1000 post thread within hours.
    Which are? If any company made money, I would think they would be making more phones.
    05-12-20 10:20 PM
    Which are? If any company made money, I would think they would be making more phones.
    I think you misunderstood him.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    05-12-20 10:22 PM
    I think you misunderstood him.
    Wow definitely did. My bad.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    05-12-20 10:23 PM
    Companies can't keep losing money for a niche market. How many variations of failures can companies deal with?
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    05-12-20 10:25 PM
    If someone does another PKB phone... I'd expect them to use their own patents.
    05-13-20 07:36 AM

Unless the Joker starts a smartphone company, I wouldn't count on ever seeing another BB-branded smartphone, because since 2012, all it has done for every company that's released them is burned large piles of money. That's not exactly the kind of business plan that investors embrace, and year-after-year, sales of PKB phones have continued to fall. At this point, they've fallen to the point that Kickstarter projects can meet the demand, and while that might be sustainable, you aren't likely to see a major manufacturer to release one anytime soon.

And if a company DOES decide to make a PKB phone, they're not likely to license IP from BB in order to do it - they'll just use their own design. There's just not enough demand or enough margin to also pay licensing fees, and they can't really raise the price of the phones to compensate, because even most PKB fans simply won't pay more.
    Last edited by Troy Tiscareno; 05-13-20 at 04:06 PM.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    05-13-20 01:34 PM
    https://i.imgur.com/1ShHevv.jpg

Unless the Joker starts a smartphone company, I wouldn't count on ever seeing another BB-branded smartphone, because since 2012, all it has done for every company that's released them is burned large piles of money. That's not exactly the kind of business plan that investors embrace, and year-after-year, sales of PKB phones have continued to fall. At this point, they've fallen to the point that Kickstarter projects can meet the demand, and while that might be sustainable, you aren't likely to see a major manufacturer to release one anytime soon.

And if a company DOES decide to make a PKB phone, they're not likely to license IP from BB in order to do it - they'll just use their own design. There's just not enough demand or enough margin to also pay licensing fees, and they can't really raise the price of the phones to compensate, because even most PKB fans simply won't pay more.
    Does sound like something Marty Byrde might be interested in....
    05-13-20 02:32 PM
    Name any other phone that has so many collectable models - recently Passport Silver Edition, Priv and even the Key Models! No other phone draws on such a diversity of physical forms. I don't believe that people will let that die!
    05-13-20 05:43 PM
    Name any other phone that has so many collectable models - recently Passport Silver Edition, Priv and even the Key Models! No other phone draws on such a diversity of physical forms. I don't believe that people will let that die!
    But people actually did let it die. Hence the reason for BlackBerry Limited and it’s licensees exiting the business independently within different regions.
    05-13-20 05:49 PM
    But people actually did let it die. Hence the reason for BlackBerry Limited and it’s licensees exiting the business independently within different regions.
    Yeah some don't get it... the reason no one else is bothering with those forms, is they don't sell well.

BlackBerry couldn't compete head to head with other SLAB makers, so they fell back to these niche devices.... but in the end the volume wasn't enough to support all the effort it took to customize the OS.

I bet you combined the Q5, Q10, Classic, Passport, Priv and KEY devices from the last seven years.... still wouldn't exceed their single best year of Bold/Curve sales. In the end what people want has changed....

Like with horse drawn buggies... these is a market still, but you have to scale to fit it. Big company like BlackBerry can't, leaving the little crowded funded "projects" as the only ones able to scale to fit the demand.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    05-14-20 10:33 AM
    Sure. But almost no one bought them. That's the problem.
    05-14-20 10:48 AM
    Truly the Key Devices are not the horse and buggy. In day to day use, they work as well as any Android or Apple product with the added bonus of the BlackBerry Experience. I believe that the longer that we wait, the greater the pent up demand for a new BlackBerry phone will grow. I believe somebody will be smart enough to take advantage of this!
    05-15-20 11:31 AM
    Truly the Key Devices are not the horse and buggy. In day to day use, they work as well as any Android or Apple product with the added bonus of the BlackBerry Experience. I believe that the longer that we wait, the greater the pent up demand for a new BlackBerry phone will grow. I believe somebody will be smart enough to take advantage of this!
    What pent up demand? Most people don't even think BlackBerry exists anymore, have moved on, and are actually very happy and living life with what they have.

You can't project your own wishes to be something you think everyone else is wishing for. That's not how things are.
    skinnymike1 and MikeX74 like this.
    05-15-20 12:19 PM
    I fully expect the demand is going to grow now that things have ended.... but it's still below the threshold that would make BlackBerry any money for development of the software or a major vendor any money on the hardware.

Last three years has pretty well defined the "demand".... only increase will be the few BBOS and BB10 stranglers that finally have to move on (at some point), or the KEYone users that are ready for an upgrade of sorts.

If there really is demand for a PKB phone.... Some one else can make one without BlackBerry's help. Most reviews of the Titan have been pretty good.... other than bulk and weight (and spyware possibilities). Anyone can make a PKB phone, but it hasn't been worth it to anyone to do so.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    05-15-20 02:34 PM
    Let's not hide our heads in the sand! There is a level of cool and functionality that BlackBerry phones embody! It's not just the PKB! Some types of cars only sell a few models! I am happy to pay a higher price for a truly different phone!
    05-15-20 03:04 PM
    I own a great camera 📷 that hooks directly into my phone. I don't need to be dancing on the beach with my iPhone or taking pictures of the stars with my Pixel. Just give me the shear functionality of a BlackBerry!
    05-15-20 03:40 PM
    Let's not hide our heads in the sand! There is a level of cool and functionality that BlackBerry phones embody! It's not just the PKB! Some types of cars only sell a few models! I am happy to pay a higher price for a truly different phone!
    How about $50k per device? Just find 19,999 friends to do the same. And then do it again every year after that.

If you recall, BlackBerry needed to sell 5 million BlackBerry Android devices every year to break even. At $100 gross each, that's your $500 million.
    05-15-20 04:14 PM
    I own a great camera ������ that hooks directly into my phone. I don't need to be dancing on the beach with my iPhone or taking pictures of the stars with my Pixel. Just give me the shear functionality of a BlackBerry!

Surely you jest....

What functionality do my BlackBerry phones have that haven’t been replicated to satisfaction of 99.9% of the entire planet?
    05-15-20 04:45 PM
    Easy! My home screen consists only of the bottom icons. Because it's Blackberry, it's functionality uses the keyboard. Most of my friends (me included) use the 52 shortcuts on the keyboard. This does not work as well with a hepatic keyboard. The Keytwo fits nicely into your hand. The keyboard is fixed at the bottom of the screen. Proportionally, the screen size is much bigger than all other phones compared to the keyboard. I cringe when I look at how much of the screen is taken up by hepatic keyboards. The Hub - this works the best on all BlackBerrys.
    05-15-20 07:33 PM
    I could also mention scrolling with the physical keyboard. I could hardly pick up another phone and not try to scroll from the keyboard. Let's not forget DTEK and the great help at Cracker - i.e. Bla1ze.
    05-15-20 07:55 PM
    Should be Crackberry!
    05-15-20 08:06 PM
46 12