Yes, Apple made a comeback, in new markets. Remember, despite Mac sales outgrowing than PCs for years, they're still less than 10% of worldwide computer marketshare, even today. So here's the question: if BlackBerry phones are in a similar spot to Apple's '90s computer hardware, then that begs the question: where is BBRY's iPod? Its iPhone? Its iPad? Any comeback will rest on conquering new markets, not recapturing old ones. Tech companies do come back on occasion, but they don't usually re-climb old mountains. . . they find new ones.
    I already spelled it out in my previous two posts. The new markets are what will be done with phones. Integration can be BB's iPod, iPhone, and iPad. As the various aspects of the tech worlds collide phones will interconnect with more and more of our lives. They have already begun with QNX in cars, NFC payments, and various other things. This will be much bigger than video games, taking pictures or watching movies with your phone. If BB focuses on just enterprise they will be out of the phone market very soon, because they won't be able to do what coming in the future.
    01-27-14 07:00 PM
    Meh. Opinions are like iPhones... everybody's got one...
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-27-14 07:43 PM
    This is why they need a bb10 slider...

Posted via CB10
    I don't know about that. My observation was that the first Torch did well because it was also the device with the new Torch browser and helped partially over the hump of browsing on a BlackBerry. But the time the second Torch came out, it seemed like almost everyone who wanted a BlackBerry went for the 9900 instead
    01-27-14 07:46 PM
    shouldn't be confused with an Apple comeback in the computer industry (which never happened based on current marketshare data).
    Definitely get your point and agree that Apple is niche. Although when I bought my first Mac around 2000, they were at 25 million users or so. Now they're up over 70 million, so they've definitely had a halo effect brought on by the iDevices. Still niche, but worth noting
    01-27-14 07:49 PM
    "blackberry buyers have no rational reason to go with the BB10 platform, besides good old memories. Every single new BB10 device brings nothing new to the market."

Did you just come to a BlackBerry fan site and in your first post call us stupid?

You know what's stupid? Knocking something you've obviously never tried is stupid. In fact, BB10 brings a lot of new things. This is my first BlackBerry. It impresses the heck out of me even after four months of use.

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, Smartypants.

As for Apple's sales, I'm happy for them. I remember when that company was on its death bed. Their volume says nothing about the quality of their products, however.

McDonald's sold a lot of burgers today, but that's not going to take away from my enjoyment of a perfect Porterhouse at a restaurant at which you wouldn't be able to get a reservation.

For me, BB10 is worlds ahead of the more popular OSes, and I believe that it's just a matter of time before the market figures it out.

By the way, I had the first iPhone. It was absolutely awful, and I didn't see another one in the wild for at least a year after I bought mine. If BlackBerry is just getting started with this amazing OS, we're in for some great things in the coming years.
    Andy_bb_king and zymenth like this.
    01-27-14 09:15 PM
    McDonald's sold a lot of burgers today, but that's not going to take away from my enjoyment of a perfect Porterhouse at a restaurant at which you wouldn't be able to get a reservation.
    McDonald's selling a ton of burgers isn't shocking in and of itself... it's McDonald's selling each of those burgers for the price of the juicy porterhouse that should be a bit discomfiting for the restaurant owner.
    app_Developer likes this.
    01-27-14 09:26 PM
    McDonald's selling a ton of burgers isn't shocking in and of itself... it's McDonald's selling each of those burgers for the price of the juicy porterhouse that should be a bit discomfiting for the restaurant owner.
    It's selling at higher than the price of the porterhouse. What do I care if people are ignorant? The point is that I know what's on my plate, and I could not care less that the hoi polloi would rather pay more for less.

BlackBerry is going to be just fine, just as the boutique steakhouse will, because there will always be a certain segment of the market that has a taste for quality.
    01-27-14 09:45 PM
    It's selling at higher than the price of the porterhouse. What do I care if people are ignorant? The point is that I know what's on my plate, and I could not care less that the hoi polloi would rather pay more for less.

BlackBerry is going to be just fine, just as the boutique steakhouse will, because there will always be a certain segment of the market that has a taste for quality.
    I completely agree with being satisfied with what is on one's plate. I think if more people did this, the cell phone angst that seems so pervasive on the internet would evaporate.

Some people will always think BBRY users are the ignorant and over-spending folks. Others will look at Android users as the ones that need guidance, and so on and so forth.

As long as each of us find our individual preferred cut of meat, are happy with it, and are willing to understand that others might prefer a different cut, it's all good.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-27-14 10:22 PM
    Thanks for the great replies.

Computers.

Again, let’s use the most successful company as an example: They started by making computers, they dominated by making great devices. Those devices, made their computer better. Today, they sell record quantities and have record profits on both. If you do the math, you will realize something funny:

Everyone says that Apple lost the PC war. Fact? They make more money from their PCs than the top5 OEMs… Combined. They dominate the high end market. They sold less than 5 million Macs during 2007 (the whole year. iPhone debut.). This quarter alone, they will sell more than that. That’s an awesome way of losing.

Start with a Windows laptop (i3 Haswell ULV, 128 gb SSD, thin and light, great screen. 14”) and differentiate it with always on 4G (with data compression), the best possible email client designed by Blackberry, BBM integration, the best possible keyboard and the necessary well designed software to sync between devices. I bought my Macbook Air in 2011, do you know how much it takes to install a new OSX version? 2 or 3 clicks. There’s no need to format partitions, search for drivers, deal with errors, etc. My point? Convenience. People are willing to pay more for convenience than for a spec sheet. Convenience can make a great product.

If ****ty irrelevant companies that never innovated or did something newsworthy (Like Dell, etc.) can make a living from “me too” PCs (difficult, these days.), why not Blackberry?
    Apple dominating the pc war????do u sir take count that most high end pc users makes their gear from scratch and not buying the so called "Branded" one??do ever see anyone from the Overclocking department bring their costum made from scratch Apple PC?? U r looking at the wrong statistics son

Ur saying u are a mech student and yet u didnt make ur own pc???thats wierd
    01-28-14 01:29 AM
    It wouldn't surprise me if cross-platform apps are the way of the future. Perhaps more cost efficient for developers and provide apps that can run on any platform. BBRY does not have the resources to take on Apple and Samsung/Android, especially when it comes to getting the "big named" app developers to the platform, and so the craving for BBRY native apps is not likely to be satisfied. Personally, as long as the apps work well, I really couldn't care who develops them or for what platform they were originally developed.

BBRY will be leaner and meaner while serving a niche market and being profitable at the same time. I think it is time some people, i.e. BBRY loyalists, stop expecting it to be Apple or Samsung and temper their expectations accordingly.
    Agreed. While I love having access to the Android apps, I haven't forgotten that my other choice is to do without.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-14 05:19 AM

When you calculate price per gram of beef protein, I bet a McD's burger would come out a lot more expensive than a boutique porterhouse.
    01-28-14 07:56 AM
    No need to take shots at the iPhone. The business/productivity software available on iOS is second to none. iOS also organizes your photos by date. Attachment 242240Attachment 242241

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    I don't doubt there's an app for this type of date stamping and file management. But we needed the date information of an iPhone photo on the spot, and couldn't find anything suitable quickly. That's an OS fail.

Point is - BB10 has a lot to offer to users who need an integrated OS that is focused on communications and multi-tasking, not entertainment. The iPhone is the ultimate consumer device - you don't need to be tech-savvy in order to use it and enjoy it. But some of us want, need and expect more, so that's why CB still has a lot of members.

I remember my first couple of years as a mech eng student - I thought I knew everything. It's not till you start real employment that reality hits you over the head.
    01-28-14 08:03 AM
    I don't doubt there's an app for this type of date stamping and file management. But we needed the date information of an iPhone photo on the spot, and couldn't find anything suitable quickly. That's an OS fail.
    That's a native feature (date/location stamp). os10 is great and there are some cool features, but to marginalize the iPhone is laughable IMO. Especially considering its second to none when it comes to professional/productivity software. All smartphones are communication tools (nowadays), Blackberry does not have a monopoly on that claim.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-28-14 01:03 PM
    I remember my first couple of years as a mech eng student - I thought I knew everything. It's not till you start real employment that reality hits you over the head.
    Saying that the iPhone is the ultimate consumption device is not factually incorrect, but it is an incomplete answer, if not an ignorant answer.

Apple invested a lot more than companies like RIM to create outstanding professional software, and they are bringing that to the iPhone, together with other apps and 3rd party functionality. Despite the specific needs that you bring, the iphone also is the ultimate creation mobile device. (and the iPad).

It's because of things like that that Blackberry is bleeding costumers even at enterprise level, and that's one reason for the existence of this thread. They must focus on their core strengths. The Z10 and Z30, as some users said, are just different approaches to the same goals, and they fail at it.

That last paragraph makes you look bad.
    01-28-14 01:18 PM
    Some even mentioned Josh from the Verge because he mocked the iPhone, but the truth is that he uses one, and the camera is a strong reason. Sony is a joke.
    Actually he uses a Sony Xperia Z1 as his daily driver. While he admits the iPhone 5S is even a bit better in camera quality under certain circumstances, he made pretty clear lately that iOS is the biggest joke, even so big that he can't go back to it for his daily driver from Android. He just owns one.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-14 04:14 PM
    I don't know about that. My observation was that the first Torch did well because it was also the device with the new Torch browser and helped partially over the hump of browsing on a BlackBerry. But the time the second Torch came out, it seemed like almost everyone who wanted a BlackBerry went for the 9900 instead
    It didn't release on T-Mobile until after another AT&T exclusive with the 9810. By the time it did launch, BBOS sales were completely stalled and T-Mobile EOL'd the device pretty soon after launch. Had it been available the same time as the 9900, I might have gone with it.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-14 07:25 PM
    I have to say in many ways you are right. Two things do come to mind. Would enterprise really buy it into a two phone strategy I'm saying probably. We have to get away from this going head to head with apple and android idea its not smart or prudent. Can they make inroads in the enterise space yes they can. They do it with BES and a decent workmanlike phone that's rock solid and has long battery life but is basic. Nope not some gadget with extreme hardware and high end camera but a decent device with moderate specs that just plain works. No glitchy software or hardware issues and some serious long battery life. That's it plain and simple. so thinking they are going to destroy apple and Samsung is a pipe dream. Its about being stable, secure and most of all reliable the rest doesn't matter. We All see some magic device with all the bells and whistles saving the company when really that's not the reality of the situation. Can we get that from the developers we will see some things point in that direction. 700 dollar q10's are not the answer. Between 150 and 350 all purpose device with long battery life and rugged stability and construction. That's what is required. Not the m
    ost glamorous solution but one that will work.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    ccbs likes this.
    01-29-14 03:14 AM
    The day BlackBerry sells nothing but physical qwerty keyboards is the day i quit buying BlackBerry. What phone i would buy i dont know as I dont think their is a virtual keyboad out there as good as BlackBerry's. I used a Q5 for a few weeks while mine was in for a repair and i could not get used to typing on it. I was slower and couldn't flick word suggestions.

If the corporate world want physical keyboards then Blackberry should offer it. But to offer it exclusively, I think would be a mistake.
    BlackBerry didn't find themselves in the hole they're in overnight, so they will not dig themselves out overnight.

Chen has them on the right path and that is following what made them successful in the first place, the enterprise market.

We need both, Q and Z. Not one else has got both varieties. You say, you can't flick word suggestions, I am doing it right now on my Q10. Just have to enable it in the settings menu.

Flicking no, it's actually tapping. My standard messages, I just tap them, yes, barely touch the qwerty, only to get the next letter, so suggestions keep flowing. Try it for y
    Stupidity, ignorance and hope.-img_00000910.png

iPhone for me? Scr... ahem Q that! (posted from the latter)
    AtInsider likes this.
    01-31-14 02:18 PM
    if they do this they have at least a chance of possibly re-enter the consumer market at some later date.
    They plan to. Mr. Chen already mentioned this, it all depends on how much he can grow the Enterprise business and Emerging Markets business. Any type of gain for BB10 and BES10 in this respect would help breath new life for the BBRY image.
    Because still many believe the utter nonsense regarding the BBRY doom/gloom stories, which have been proven wrong over and over again.
    Mr. Chen said approx: 18 months time, he will steer more focus on Consumers while continuing to maintain a strong Enterprise plan and Emerging Markets plan.
    02-01-14 12:09 AM
    Me either. The BB10 onscreen keyboard is the only virtual KB I have ever been able to two-thumb-type comfortably on in portrait mode. So a full touch BB10 phone is something I require. So of course if BB really does go all phys. qwerty then that puts me in a spot once I need to replace my Z10.
    im tottaly agree with you..but im keepin my z10 for sometime then im gonna move to another platform..have had enough
    I don't get the logic here? In no way did Mr. Chen say he will no longer provide Full Touch BB10 devices. He's targeting the Enterprise with a new qwerty device. The upcoming Z50 is still on schedule, but won't be released until at least 2015. Why would he? The Z30 is brand new, and outperforms and outclasses the S4 and newest iPhones. Now with Android app support, the Z30 has become one of the best all around smart phone in the market to date.

The Z30 is a multi-media, gaming, productivity, communications monster. User reviews rate the Z30 as the Best. On Verizon's own website, the Z30 is the highest all time user rated phone ever. Let Mr. Chen work his magic, he needs to build up the BBRY brand, and his strategy seems solid.
    02-01-14 12:24 AM
    If everyone loved the qwerty keyboards so much then why was the platform left to begin with. Fact of the matter is people want larger screens and lots of apps. Period. There are the exceptions but that's not the masses. I think if BlackBerry went back to only selling qwerty phones they would shoot themselves in the foot. What I think needs to happen is they need to bring the apps people want to the platform and start actually marketing. People still think of os7 when they think of BlackBerry that's where they failed. Simple and plain.

http://www.petitions24.com/attz30 spread the word!!!
    lnichols likes this.
    02-01-14 01:05 AM
    Agree, which is why they are releasing a low end full touch BB10 device for emerging markets, while providing physical qwerty devices via BB10 for the enterprise. Mr. Chen needs to stick to his strategy, and to try and get as many BB10 devices into people's hands as possible.
    Only then can he further push into the USA market. Though at the same time, he should be working with USA carriers to educate them on BB10.
    I've read too many times that people go in for a BB10 and they are manipulated into buying something else by lies and dishonesty.

And all previous management mess-ups aside. Mr. Chen needs to have his feet in the USA so be won't totally lose her.
    02-04-14 05:13 AM
97 ... 234