As usual someone else's opinion! It's about personal preference, what we want not what someone else wants us to have. I'm a Z30 user and enjoy every aspect of it. It's a perfect device for my needs. Thanks OP for you post, but, "Stupidity, ignorance and hope" really! It's a competitive world we live in and it's not going away. Good write up seems more focused on iphone than anything else and hardly anything Blackberry. I have used platform's and OS's, I made MY personal choice! "I LIKE MY CHOICE"!
    deptech, wincyUt, cman5 and 3 others like this.
    01-26-14 02:24 PM
    I'm a big believer that you write what you know, otherwise it's just an opinion, and i believe this is an opinion post, thanks for your opinion.

Z30 on 2.2.1.1925 in Canada
    acovey likes this.
    01-26-14 02:24 PM
    I'm not going back to a qwerty device after my Z10. I would only go back to a slider at best with a HD screen and would probably use the virtual keyboard for most everything. I don't need colorful phones either. Want I want is a BB10 device, in black or metallic, not a mix like the Z30, that is priced according to the components used in the device compared to how others phones using those components. BlackBerry users shouldn't be paying the same for less than what others offer, especially with a week ecosystem that is now getting ready to rely on Android apps to cover the gap. Qwerty phone market is shrinking, and going all in on a shrinking segment is just a recipe for death.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 02:40 PM
    I'm not going back to a qwerty device after my Z10. I would only go back to a slider at best with a HD screen and would probably use the virtual keyboard for most everything. I don't need colorful phones either. Want I want is a BB10 device, in black or metallic, not a mix like the Z30, that is priced according to the components used in the device compared to how others phones using those components. BlackBerry users shouldn't be paying the same for less than what others offer, especially with a week ecosystem that is now getting ready to rely on Android apps to cover the gap. Qwerty phone market is shrinking, and going all in on a shrinking segment is just a recipe for death.

Posted via CB10
    I feel exactly the same as you here.

Posted via CB10
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    01-26-14 02:50 PM
    Wow, I love my BB Z30 , it is so amazing and perfect for me and its awesome battery life.
    Therefore i am stupid, ignorant?
    deptech, acovey, AtInsider and 1 others like this.
    01-26-14 03:01 PM
    "Stupidity, ignorance and hope."

Well, coming from someone who didn't use a BB10 device for any meaningful amount of time, the ""stupidity & ignorance" rhetorical charge seems a little risqu� ...

My opinion is that current BlackBerry strategy is fine and if someone could execute it, John Chen is that person.

--------------------

Pic Tagger for BB10 and PlayBook
    01-26-14 03:04 PM
    Stupidity.

Having said that, here comes the problem: As of today, Blackberry isn�t Lazaridis� baby. As of today, Blackberry is a failure and has no place on this competitive mobile world. As of today, MOST blackberry buyers have no rational reason to go with the BB10 platform, besides good old memories. Every single new BB10 device brings nothing new to the market. So, why keeping with the current strategy? That�s stupid, right?
    Saying that bb10 is only good for memories is (I am sorry) stupid. I don't know any other platform as good as bb10, out of the box! Don't get me wrong the lack of apps is there and we all wish that there were more. I personally only use regularly like 10 apps, because the os does all the heavy lifting for me.

I don't talk about what I don't know so I can assure I used for more than a year all the major platforms except wp. I still own an ipad 4 and have access to all os's if I want.

I keep returning to bb10 because it's the better suited for me. It might not be your cup of tea I grant you that, but it's by far the most eficient I ever worked with. I cannot go back to some clunky multitasking like ios or having to go through litteraly hundreds of settings like in android. I just can't! What I like about bb10 is that anything is just there when I want it without me asking for anything. It almost learns with me.

Widgets are great on android but to me they are a nightmare to set up and I know a lot of people that don't even bother with them! The greatest feature and people ignore it. Lol

Active frames has me covered on widgets because, and this doesn't apply to everyone, the most used apps are always there. Weather? Already there, bbm, already there, cb10 (wink wink) you get the point.

Now I am replying to some texts as I type this without leaving this app. To me that is amazing! I am having multiple conversations and don't even have to open another app. You can't compete with that... like I said the os does the heavy lifting.

I am not even going to mention the hub, the single most handy feature ever made in a smartphone! It makes my life sooo much easier! And it's not a freaking app.

But I'm torn... I grant you that. I want BlackBerry to succed but I love to have a device no one else does(appart from the converts I created, wich, by the way are very happy coming from ios and android). But for blackberry to be successful it would have to sell a gazillion devices like in the days of the "crackberrys" (although were I live that never happened) so everybody would be rocking one like they are rocking iphones and androids. I would be one amongst many instead of being the one! We can't have it all isn't that right?
    (unless you are Kevin with the porsche design one)

TLR: there are a lot of features on bb10 that most certainly bring new stuff to the table. The lack of apps is a nuisance but,TO ME, the pros far outweigh the cons because the os is so ubber awesome, so what you are saying to me I think is rubish and an uninformed opinion.

Posted via iPhone...Joking...Q10
    01-26-14 03:17 PM
    Good morning,

This is my first post on these forums. After reading the news and a few posts during the last 5 months, I decided that today, I want to join in. Why? Blackberry itself. It is my understanding that the company was Lazaridis� baby, and that it was treated as such since the beginning. He is the responsible for Blackberry�s major successes and, as we know, its greatest failures. All being said and done, I think that the balance is positive (by a mile). As an engineering student, you just have to admire everything the man accomplished. He really loved is baby, no doubt about that.

Stupidity.

Having said that, here comes the problem: As of today, Blackberry isn�t Lazaridis� baby. As of today, Blackberry is a failure and has no place on this competitive mobile world. As of today, MOST blackberry buyers have no rational reason to go with the BB10 platform, besides good old memories. Every single new BB10 device brings nothing new to the market. So, why keeping with the current strategy? That�s stupid, right?

Ignorance.

A few days ago, I read a thread (can�t remember the name) where the poster complained about the complacency of the current user-base. He rightfully said that the z30 has 0 value for the current price, when compared to other handsets. However I was surprised by the level of ignorance showed by most users that responded to the original thread.

Let�s be clear:

You can�t say how good (or bad) a camera is by just looking at the number of megapixels;
    The iPhone and the Nokia Lumia 1020 have the best mobile cameras available, one is 8mp and the other 41. Megapixels represent a �small� percentage of what makes a mobile camera great, but the size of the sensor, the size of the pixels, speed, color reproduction and accuracy and the software for processing such pictures are vital. The iPhone kicks some serious *** in this department, and is seen as the best camera for the overall user. �Just� 8mp. Some even mentioned Josh from the Verge because he mocked the iPhone, but the truth is that he uses one, and the camera is a strong reason. Sony is a joke.

You can�t say how good (or bad) a screen is by just looking at the resolution;
    The galaxy s4 has a pentile screen, so the real pip isn�t 440, as most users believe. After doing the math, it comes closer to 320, right? Then the screen is AMOLED, and that means that it has awesome black levels but very low brightness (you can�t read comfortably on it during daylight), poor whites and poor color reproduction, since every single S4 on exhibition has the maximum saturation available, to �wow� ignorant users (�So much color!�). Basically, they don�t care/know how wrong those colors are.

Like it or not, the iPhone, the G2 and the HTC one have the best screens, all things considered. Personally, I think that the iPhone screen is too small, but you have to agree when someone says that since every app is designed for it, the experience can be excellent.

You can�t say how fast (or slow) a phone is by the number of cores;
    Best processors available? A7, S800 and exynos octa, on that order. In fact, the exynos makes so much compromises that samsung has to use the s800 on most high end S4 and Note 3. Pathetic, right? ARM, the company responsible for the basic architecture for every chip manufacturer, was co-founded by Apple. Yes, Apple is responsible for that, too.

Also, keep in mind that the iPhone is by far the fastest and most efficient mobile device, and since most Android high end devices use the same SOC, the difference is on software optimization.

The �cheap� Nexus is most likely the fastest Android device, with the less �muscular� but super efficient Moto X a close second. Samsung phones are a disgrace, thanks to their software (I own one).

You can�t say how advanced (or not) a phone is by just looking at screen size;
    This is just idiotic.

You can�t say how good the battery life is by just looking at the capacity numbers.
    Again, optimization. The iPhone has a 1500 mah battery, the note a 3500 or close to it. The iPhone has better battery life when browsing with 4g, for example (anandtech). Awesome for Apple, or pathetic for samsung?

Hope.

What is my goal with all of this?

First of all, a decent discussion. Most users here do not want a fast phone, they want a quad core. Most users here do not want a great screen, they want a full hd screen. Most users here do not want great battery life, they want a big battery. I believe that these people should be ignored.

Apple is getting ready to show the numbers of the best quarter ever, by any public company. Most likely, they sold close to 60 million iPhones, 30 million iPads, 5 to 6 million Macs, 10 million iPods. Revenue from the ecosystem must have been huge. We will see 60.000.000.000+ $ in revenue, 12 to 15.000.000.000$ of net profit. Blackberry will never be like this. But they don�t have to, right? Don�t get me wrong, I do not want Blackberry to copy the iPhone, I want Blackberry to copy the Apple M.O.
    They make their own OS, services, core software, pro apps, they design their own SOC, they are responsible for huge investments on companies like Samsung and Foxconn and develop some fantastic methods (most of them patented, like the new iMac�s screen) to build their devices, not to mention billion dollar deals in advance, to bring the bill of materials down. So they price the phone as they want, and make great margins.
    On the other hand, Samsung makes a slower phone, with worse build quality, they buy Qualcomm�s SOC, they do not make their own OS, they use inferior screens and price their phones on the same category. - Worse margins, but overpriced phone.

All things considered, it�s awesome how cheap the iPhone is.

So, I believe that blackberry should forget the Z line, and focus on doing what they do best: A great qwerty device. Make just 2 models a year (one high end and a low end, for the masses), support them, market them. Make people remember how great texting and chatting and email is on a blackberry device. Capture that market. Be creative and different. Create a fantastic ecosystem around that and slowly, but surely, grow. Before making an iPhone-like or Android-like device, you need a similar ecosystem, otherwise its suicide (and that�s what is happening). Stop selling BB7. It took Apple 10 years to have the right tools, Google was quick to take advantage of the OEM fear, but it took them years.

What blackberry is doing is the equivalent of Apple going head to head against Microsoft in 97, instead of taking their time, focus on their strengths and grow. Since they are the most valuable and lucrative company in the world (and going up on profits), they must be doing something right.

I think a colorful qwerty device with awesomemulti plataform built in services would be great.

Pedro, Mechanical Engineering student.
    Proud owner of a Macbook Air, not so proud owner of a galaxy s3 mini (rooted, custom rom to avoid touchwiz. Bought it on vodafone, brand new, for less than 150� (clube viva), cheapest dual core and 1gb ram I could find).
    Stupidity, ignorance and hope.-wtf_is_this_shit2_re_73_million_sharks_killed_every_year-s468x349-71815.jpg
    01-26-14 03:23 PM
    I am a member of Crackberry BECAUSE I want to learn MORE about Blaclberry from informed Blackberry users NOT uninformed opions from NON Blackberry users. Please go back to your iflock or were ever you came from.
    01-26-14 03:35 PM
    Good morning,

This is my first post on these forums. After reading the news and a few posts during the last 5 months, I decided that today, I want to join in. Why? Blackberry itself. It is my understanding that the company was Lazaridis� baby, and that it was treated as such since the beginning. He is the responsible for Blackberry�s major successes and, as we know, its greatest failures. All being said and done, I think that the balance is positive (by a mile). As an engineering student, you just have to admire everything the man accomplished. He really loved is baby, no doubt about that.

Stupidity.

Ignorance.

A few days ago, I read a thread (can�t remember the name) where the poster complained about the complacency of the current user-base. He rightfully said that the z30 has 0 value for the current price, when compared to other handsets. However I was surprised by the level of ignorance showed by most users that responded to the original thread.

Let�s be clear:

You can�t say how good (or bad) a camera is by just looking at the number of megapixels;
    The iPhone and the Nokia Lumia 1020 have the best mobile cameras available, one is 8mp and the other 41. Megapixels represent a �small� percentage of what makes a mobile camera great, but the size of the sensor, the size of the pixels, speed, color reproduction and accuracy and the software for processing such pictures are vital. The iPhone kicks some serious *** in this department, and is seen as the best camera for the overall user. �Just� 8mp. Some even mentioned Josh from the Verge because he mocked the iPhone, but the truth is that he uses one, and the camera is a strong reason. Sony is a joke.

You can�t say how good (or bad) a screen is by just looking at the resolution;
    The galaxy s4 has a pentile screen, so the real pip isn�t 440, as most users believe. After doing the math, it comes closer to 320, right? Then the screen is AMOLED, and that means that it has awesome black levels but very low brightness (you can�t read comfortably on it during daylight), poor whites and poor color reproduction, since every single S4 on exhibition has the maximum saturation available, to �wow� ignorant users (�So much color!�). Basically, they don�t care/know how wrong those colors are.

Like it or not, the iPhone, the G2 and the HTC one have the best screens, all things considered. Personally, I think that the iPhone screen is too small, but you have to agree when someone says that since every app is designed for it, the experience can be excellent.

You can�t say how fast (or slow) a phone is by the number of cores;
    Best processors available? A7, S800 and exynos octa, on that order. In fact, the exynos makes so much compromises that samsung has to use the s800 on most high end S4 and Note 3. Pathetic, right? ARM, the company responsible for the basic architecture for every chip manufacturer, was co-founded by Apple. Yes, Apple is responsible for that, too.

Also, keep in mind that the iPhone is by far the fastest and most efficient mobile device, and since most Android high end devices use the same SOC, the difference is on software optimization.

The �cheap� Nexus is most likely the fastest Android device, with the less �muscular� but super efficient Moto X a close second. Samsung phones are a disgrace, thanks to their software (I own one).

You can�t say how advanced (or not) a phone is by just looking at screen size;
    This is just idiotic.

You can�t say how good the battery life is by just looking at the capacity numbers.
    Again, optimization. The iPhone has a 1500 mah battery, the note a 3500 or close to it. The iPhone has better battery life when browsing with 4g, for example (anandtech). Awesome for Apple, or pathetic for samsung?

Hope.

What is my goal with all of this?

First of all, a decent discussion. Most users here do not want a fast phone, they want a quad core. Most users here do not want a great screen, they want a full hd screen. Most users here do not want great battery life, they want a big battery. I believe that these people should be ignored.

Apple is getting ready to show the numbers of the best quarter ever, by any public company. Most likely, they sold close to 60 million iPhones, 30 million iPads, 5 to 6 million Macs, 10 million iPods. Revenue from the ecosystem must have been huge. We will see 60.000.000.000+ $ in revenue, 12 to 15.000.000.000$ of net profit. Blackberry will never be like this. But they don�t have to, right? Don�t get me wrong, I do not want Blackberry to copy the iPhone, I want Blackberry to copy the Apple M.O.
    They make their own OS, services, core software, pro apps, they design their own SOC, they are responsible for huge investments on companies like Samsung and Foxconn and develop some fantastic methods (most of them patented, like the new iMac�s screen) to build their devices, not to mention billion dollar deals in advance, to bring the bill of materials down. So they price the phone as they want, and make great margins.
    On the other hand, Samsung makes a slower phone, with worse build quality, they buy Qualcomm�s SOC, they do not make their own OS, they use inferior screens and price their phones on the same category. - Worse margins, but overpriced phone.

All things considered, it�s awesome how cheap the iPhone is.

So, I believe that blackberry should forget the Z line, and focus on doing what they do best: A great qwerty device. Make just 2 models a year (one high end and a low end, for the masses), support them, market them. Make people remember how great texting and chatting and email is on a blackberry device. Capture that market. Be creative and different. Create a fantastic ecosystem around that and slowly, but surely, grow. Before making an iPhone-like or Android-like device, you need a similar ecosystem, otherwise its suicide (and that�s what is happening). Stop selling BB7. It took Apple 10 years to have the right tools, Google was quick to take advantage of the OEM fear, but it took them years.

What blackberry is doing is the equivalent of Apple going head to head against Microsoft in 97, instead of taking their time, focus on their strengths and grow. Since they are the most valuable and lucrative company in the world (and going up on profits), they must be doing something right.

I think a colorful qwerty device with awesomemulti plataform built in services would be great.

Pedro, Mechanical Engineering student.
    Proud owner of a Macbook Air, not so proud owner of a galaxy s3 mini (rooted, custom rom to avoid touchwiz. Bought it on vodafone, brand new, for less than 150� (clube viva), cheapest dual core and 1gb ram I could find).
    I applaud everything you say here save one: abandoning the slab touchscreen device.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 03:38 PM
    [QUOTE=MacAir;9906694]Thanks for the great replies.

To answer some of you, my post wasn�t about what phone was better (Z vs Q). Instead, my point was: what device is better for Blackberry (as a company, now) and what device brings something of value to the current market.

While on a boxing match the Z line has everything to beat the QWERTY models, they end up being too similar to the iPhone and few Android devices. Let�s be honest, as devices, the Z line have nothing against the power of Apple�s (or Google�s) ecosystem (that started in 97 and changed the world of computing, saved the music industry, provides the tools for every use, etc.), or their talent when designing SOC (that sooner or later will be used to kick Intel�s *** on the laptop market), efficiency, etc.

So, while the z10/z30 are better as devices, they have 0 reasons to �steal� regular costumers, while the QWERTY line has at least a very strong value proposition that only Blackberry dominates. Putting all their eggs on the �Z line� basket is giving up on staying truly 100% Blackberry.

I can't say I didn't at least enjoy your perspective in your original post. In my opinion though, you could have summed it up simply with what you wrote above which I find to be an intelligent assessment. The Z10 and Z30 are great phones but don't drag a customer away from Apple back to BlackBerry. on the flip side if you make a truly special QWERTY model then that innovation may gain traction. I think that's all that really needed to be said. That said, my phone of choice is the Z30 and I have an iPhone 5s from my work.

Posted via my BlackBerry Z30 on VZW from Philly
    anand_ma and cman5 like this.
    01-26-14 03:43 PM
    I am a member of Crackberry BECAUSE I want to learn MORE about Blaclberry from informed Blackberry users NOT uninformed opions from NON Blackberry users. Please go back to your iflock or were ever you came from.
    Have you not learned counterpoint is welcome? Plus I'd say he's done a little bit more research than some around here.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 03:44 PM
    So, I believe that blackberry should forget the Z line, and focus on doing what they do best: A great qwerty device.
    The the OP, absolutely NOT. This is the same as blaming the Z line because of BlackBerry's previous management marketing/advertising screw-ups. The moment BBRY stops full touch devices will be the moment they go out of business IMO.
    Mr. Chen's plan is solid so far, stick with the Z30 for the remainder of 2014, while releasing new QWERTY based devices (hopefully larger than the Q10).
    It all has to do with Marketing and Advertising. The Z30 pawns any and all phones in actual user reviews, out performing both newest iPhones and S4's. Check the Verizon site for example.
    deptech and AtInsider like this.
    01-26-14 05:21 PM
    The day BlackBerry sells nothing but physical qwerty keyboards is the day i quit buying BlackBerry. What phone i would buy i dont know as I dont think their is a virtual keyboad out there as good as BlackBerry's. I used a Q5 for a few weeks while mine was in for a repair and i could not get used to typing on it. I was slower and couldn't flick word suggestions.

If the corporate world want physical keyboards then Blackberry should offer it. But to offer it exclusively, I think would be a mistake.
    BlackBerry didn't find themselves in the hole they're in overnight, so they will not dig themselves out overnight.

Chen has them on the right path and that is following what made them successful in the first place, the enterprise market.
    01-26-14 05:39 PM
    Thanks for the great replies.

To answer some of you, my post wasn’t about what phone was better (Z vs Q). Instead, my point was: what device is better for Blackberry (as a company, now) and what device brings something of value to the current market.

While on a boxing match the Z line has everything to beat the QWERTY models, they end up being too similar to the iPhone and few Android devices. Let’s be honest, as devices, the Z line have nothing against the power of Apple’s (or Google’s) ecosystem (that started in 97 and changed the world of computing, saved the music industry, provides the tools for every use, etc.), or their talent when designing SOC (that sooner or later will be used to kick Intel’s *** on the laptop market), efficiency, etc.

So, while the z10/z30 are better as devices, they have 0 reasons to “steal” regular costumers, while the QWERTY line has at least a very strong value proposition that only Blackberry dominates. Putting all their eggs on the “Z line” basket is giving up on staying truly 100% Blackberry.

If Blackberry goes after market share, they will die or become just another nameless Android OEM (as good as dead, these days.), so they should focus on their core strength (BBM, Keyboard, data compression), and grow by creating reasons for their users to use their ecosystem, etc. After that, they should attack the market.

Resources are scarce, and as such they should be used wisely and the chosen direction must have the whole support of everyone involved. But again, I think that almost everyone is missing the point: Why just the “phone”? Why not do something calculated but exciting like bringing their core strengths to other areas? It would surely pay off.

Computers.

Again, let’s use the most successful company as an example: They started by making computers, they dominated by making great devices. Those devices, made their computer better. Today, they sell record quantities and have record profits on both. If you do the math, you will realize something funny:

Everyone says that Apple lost the PC war. Fact? They make more money from their PCs than the top5 OEMs… Combined. They dominate the high end market. They sold less than 5 million Macs during 2007 (the whole year. iPhone debut.). This quarter alone, they will sell more than that. That’s an awesome way of losing.

Start with a Windows laptop (i3 Haswell ULV, 128 gb SSD, thin and light, great screen. 14”) and differentiate it with always on 4G (with data compression), the best possible email client designed by Blackberry, BBM integration, the best possible keyboard and the necessary well designed software to sync between devices. I bought my Macbook Air in 2011, do you know how much it takes to install a new OSX version? 2 or 3 clicks. There’s no need to format partitions, search for drivers, deal with errors, etc. My point? Convenience. People are willing to pay more for convenience than for a spec sheet. Convenience can make a great product.

If ****ty irrelevant companies that never innovated or did something newsworthy (Like Dell, etc.) can make a living from “me too” PCs (difficult, these days.), why not Blackberry?

Accessories.

Why not selling great keyboard accessories? The typo (what is the twisted logic behind naming a keyboard “typo”?) keyboard is proof that people want and are willing to pay for that “bit” of Blackberry. Make one that would bring some cash and more importantly, it will remember people what they are trading off for the Instagrams of this world.

Website and retail presence.

A few months ago, my xperia x10 mini pro died. I was searching for a phone, and I saw this: Samsung phones and generic carrier models are pushed very hard, the others are not. Why? Bloatware. Blackberry phones must be “clean”.

First of all, Blackberry won’t be able to wrestle $ams$ung marketing power, so Galaxy devices will always be pushed. As a result, they should do what Apple did (again):

Create a great and clean website (the current one is a mess, Blackberry) where I can conveniently purchase your devices, focus on support and retail presence with people capable to tell everyone why they should buy blackberries.

—————

I see these 3 initiatives as more important and meaningful than the current Z line. This has the potential to “clean” the blackberry name. Make no mistake: it’s the name, and everything associated with it, that can save Blackberry.
    You raise some interesting points, perhaps applying for a job or interning at BlackBerry might be the fresh perspective they may need.
    01-26-14 06:13 PM
    Interesting thread.
    I do think BlackBerry needs a bit of time under Mr. Chen before making any sort of judgment. This is a fresh new approach that hopefully works.....it has to. One thing is clear to me though. BlackBerry needs the Z line. I just hired a man the other day who took out a Z30 in his interview. We got talking about BB10. He had a Q10 but wanted a bigger screen. He said, (and many more have said the same) he would never go back to a physical keyboard now. BlackBerry should be proud of their touch screens. It is by far the best out there. One problem....people have to try them first. Even more so, know they are available. No one can tell me that a person using BB10 10.2 after two weeks (touch or physical) would say they didn't like BlackBerry's key functionality . As for a stadegy (I know Chen had said mainly physical keyboards now) I believe the smart thing to do is have four devices. Two touch, two physical. Two high end, two low end. Stick with that combo and market the heck out of them. Keep to this stadegy for years. It's easy and predictable. Just as Apple and Samsung. BlackBerry spent tons of money developing the Z line. It was not executed well. I know it's been said to death......but if no one knows or understands the strengths of BB10, it's going no where.
    I do like how BlackBerry is taking the pressure off by saying they're consintrating on enterprise for now. In reality, my view is that once the ship is set straight, they will be right back at it with a fresh and more focused approach. So, BlackBerry needs to be proud and stop acting like the victim. So far under Chen, they're doing just that.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by xBURK; 01-26-14 at 07:43 PM.
    AtInsider likes this.
    01-26-14 06:29 PM
    Chen is following the old strategy. It is not like he created something new. I hope his execution of the strategy better. (details)
    Blackberry 10 had lukewarm reception by reviewers because it needed to be improved.
    On the surface, it sounds like the old approach. When you really look into it deeper, Mr. Chen is doing it completely different though.

Posted via CB10
    AtInsider likes this.
    01-26-14 06:58 PM
    Interesting points by the OP. Well, as long as BlackBerry is moving forward(even at a snails' pace to some), I will consider getting another. As long as the device handles my needs, it's my money and will be my burden. I'm cool with that. If not, I'll decide to get something else.

@OP, Welcome to CrackBerry.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-26-14 09:34 PM
    Phew!!! OP I honestly don't know what side of the bed you woke up on. Thank goodness you are still a student and hopefully one of these days you will learn that you don't know it all. To actually call blackberry users who are definitely more educated and intelligent than you, stupid for using or choosing BlackBerry, is simply unbelievable. ONLY FOOLS THINK THEY KNOW IT ALL.
    Dirtymike14, acovey and AtInsider like this.
    01-26-14 09:51 PM
    I think what John Chen has planned for this year regarding devices is a sound decision. High end qwerty in a bid to push the notion of productivity and communications in BlackBerry and BES products. Low end touchscreen to move in on growing consumer markets where popularity could prove to be viral and spread out a little. It may take a while this way but most Z30 owners are probably going to be quite happy as long as their devices keep evolving in useful ways. Next year they should bring out a low end qwerty and then a high end touchscreen to catch people (Z30 and Q owners) renewing contracts. They need to time their devices with their core client upgrade period. Keep them interested. Word of mouth will play a large role in any market gains from here on out. I see a slow growth back to relevance. So, despite mistakes made, I think BlackBerry are on a better path now than they ever were. Forget just going Qwerty. It's a death sentence for them to ignore the majority of BB10 adopters who opted for a Z over a Q. On all notes only time will tell if these decisions pay off and Chen steered in the right direction. As long as Chen and Co. stay on their toes, and keep on top of their competitors where it matters, they will do just fine.

P.S. - Welcome to CB OP. May I suggest giving BB10 a try?
    AtInsider likes this.
    01-26-14 11:09 PM
    I'm not going back to a qwerty device after my Z10.
    Me either. The BB10 onscreen keyboard is the only virtual KB I have ever been able to two-thumb-type comfortably on in portrait mode. So a full touch BB10 phone is something I require. So of course if BB really does go all phys. qwerty then that puts me in a spot once I need to replace my Z10.
    01-26-14 11:45 PM
    im tottaly agree with you..but im keepin my z10 for sometime then im gonna move to another platform..have had enough
    01-27-14 03:33 AM
    Going sideways here but the OP simplified the CISC/RISC "wars" too much. That debate is pretty much dead now because, at a microcode level, Intel's latest x86 chips convert x86 instructions into a RISC-like instruction set. It's not the CISC-ness of x86 chips that cause them to consume more power, it's the thermal envelope they're designed for and also because they have to support a truckload of legacy instructions.

ARM's v7 and v8 cores aren't simple RISC either but they're designed to idle at mW instead of watts. ARM also isn't bothered about jettisoning legacy instructions on new cores and architectures. There's a ton of optimization done by Apple for their own SoCs - they license ARM's instruction set but design their own cores around it, with software and hardware all optimized for their design goals. No other Android OEM does that except for Samsung, and even they license existing cores. Qualcomm does something like Apple but they don't make devices.

It's the same question as to why Macbook Airs can run for 14 hours on OS X but 8 hours on Windows, as shown by Anandtech's reviews.
    01-27-14 04:02 AM
    I do agree that BlackBerry has a major problem and that they should look at other companies marketing strategies, but I also think that it`s a bit too late for that. As a company that doesn`t really have millions to spare they should slow down a bit to think and find ways to make production cheaper( but not too cheap) in order to reduce prices. Because price is their main problem right now, you cant have a new device with an "infant" OS and set it`s price so close to the iPhone 5 or HTC One for example. If they had these devices set at 200-250$ off contract (like Google did) they would have had a better start, and people would see these devices as perfect for the price. Because these devices indeed have the stability of a WindowsPhone and almost the possibilities of and Android. (I did not input iOS because I do not know much about what it can do)
    01-27-14 05:16 AM
    ............ As for a stadegy (I know Chen had said mainly physical keyboards now) I believe the smart thing to do is have four devices. Two touch, two physical. Two high end, two low end. Stick with that combo and market the heck out of them. Keep to this stadegy for years. It's easy and predictable. Just as Apple and Samsung. BlackBerry spent tons of money developing the Z line. It was not executed well. I know it's been said to death......but if no one knows or understands the strengths of BB10, it's going no where.
    I do like how BlackBerry is taking the pressure off by saying they're consintrating on enterprise for now. In reality, my view is that once the ship is set straight, they will be right back at it with a fresh and more focused approach. So, BlackBerry needs to be proud and stop acting like the victim. So far under Chen, they're doing just that......

Posted via CB10
    Exactly, and I agree. Just look at the revival of Nokia. Not only that devices should be available, they must introduced at the same time.

Something I remember when the BB10 devices released and I was waiting to get my hands on a Q10. My first smart phone was a Sony Ericsson M600i and I loved qwerty so much that I used it for 5 years!. Than android came down and I promptly switched to a 3.5" and then 4" LG Optimus version. I used them for a year. But I never felt the comfort of a QWERTY in those years and was severely missing the clicks of physical keys. After the androids I switched to a Bold (9780) and immediately felt at home. That is when I started visiting crackberry forums and heard about the new magical platform.

But when BB10 device was indeed released, it was a great disappoint for me that it is Z10. Most of the forums I visited about Z10, there were at least a couple of people who were holding on for a QWERTY device. After that when Q10 released the price was more than what commonly expected. Even though I brought a Q10 and it is an amazing device, there were (according to me) some glaring omissions in this device.

In my point of view, expectation from a Blackberry was that that they release both Q10 and Z10 together. But that did not work out in that way and I was very disappointed. Remember, I was not a great fan of Blackberry, but liked the convenience those (older) brought to me.

Another point is that, the quality of camera. The time-shift feature and the reviews of quality of pictures taken using Device Alphas were excellent. But the not many people noticed or mentioned about the dismal performance of camera in low lighting conditions , though the quality of images are pretty good when there is sufficient light.

Yes, I agree that BBs are supposed to be a business device and multimedia features may not be the point of focus. Many folks may wonder if Blackberry provide a phone with decent specifications, why not make it a all-round performer?

Having gone through the experience myself, I feel that OP's points � some of them atleast � are valid.
    xBURK likes this.
    01-27-14 06:03 AM
97 1234