My idea that I think would really help BlackBerry 10 devices pick up steam would be how they are positioned in the store. If I was BlackBerry I'd demand a comparable presence. For example, I'd I have a table going left to right like this: WP8, iPhone, BlackBerry Z10 and Q10, and Galaxy on the right end. Turn em on and hook em to wifi. I bet people would be drawn to BlackBerry. The Q10 would stick out and lots would love the keyboard. For those who want the full screen real estate, the Z10 would be sitting right there. Then that beast the Z30 could be added in where and when available.

Posted with my Z10 or my Q10 on Verizon from Philly
    10-15-13 07:57 AM
    It's sad BlackBerry has no ground anymore to force carriers to do this... It would definitely make a difference if BlackBerry got some love in the store... Everyone who sees a Z10 is wowed, but it's invisible in the stores... This makes the incentives to buy BlackBerry slim to none...

From the Z...
    gfondeur likes this.
    10-15-13 08:07 AM
    Too late!

Carrier and stores know that BB10 devices are not sellers, they are not going to waste their coveted sales spaces on a six or four month old flop. Even the Z30 isn't very impressive and not really expected to sell many device.
    10-15-13 12:00 PM
    Demand? BlackBerry isn't in a position to demand anything. Please.
    Best Buy (US) had a display front and center. Did nothing. All gone now.
    Roo Zilla and Moonbase0ne like this.
    10-15-13 12:06 PM
    Those crazy retail stores - always arranging their products so that they sell the most smartphones.
    milo53 and Moonbase0ne like this.
    10-15-13 12:13 PM
    So..... let's say BlackBerry goes to retailers and "demands" better store positioning. If the retailer says "no," what is BlackBerry going to do? Are they going to withhold BlackBerrys from them? Please don't make me laugh, I have coffee in mouth. As they say, "money talks, BS walks."
    10-15-13 12:23 PM
    Clearly "demand" was taken literally. You guys love to jump all over people. All I was getting at was two things. First, BlackBerry should be more aggressive. Second, they should leverage the past. BlackBerry at one point owned the market allowing for all the carriers to open stores and kiosks etc. That's all I meant.

10-15-13 08:42 PM
    Clearly "demand" was taken literally. You guys love to jump all over people.
    No one jumped all over you. They read what you wrote and without attempting to read your mind they responded to that. A little sensitive on your part but those people were not being mean to you.

Second, they should leverage the past. BlackBerry at one point owned the market allowing for all the carriers to open stores and kiosks etc. That's all I meant.
    That isn't how business works. Whatever BlackBerry did in the past is exactly that, the past. No business is going to make their decision about marketing, sales floor space or anything else based on what BlackBerry did. They are going to base it on what they are doing NOW and their prospects for the future. Whether you think it fair or not, the carriers and retail outlets don't see much in either regard.

And just one more point, no matter how successful BlackBerry was, to think that stores and kiosks owe BlackBerry for making their businesses possible is just insane (unless of course I took "allowing for all the carriers to open stores and kiosks " too literally )
    10-15-13 08:50 PM
    They are not going to demand stores do anything. They capitulated in the retail market, they announced it in the press release. They laid off many of the sales people responsible for interaction with retailers. The Z30 is very likely the last device that will be available in stores. In the future BBs will be sold directly to corporate IT departments and perhaps direct to prosumer without subsidy online.
    10-15-13 09:02 PM
    No one jumped all over you. They read what you wrote and without attempting to read your mind they responded to that. A little sensitive on your part but those people were not being mean to you.

That isn't how business works. Whatever BlackBerry did in the past is exactly that, the past. No business is going to make their decision about marketing, sales floor space or anything else based on what BlackBerry did. They are going to base it on what they are doing NOW and their prospects for the future. Whether you think it fair or not, the carriers and retail outlets don't see much in either regard.
    Well said. I always chuckle at the threads that begin with what is generally an obvious suggestion, especially since it implies that the current management isn't sharp enough to say "How about we just demand that stores put our product in a better position?" or "Why not just demand Netflix make a BB10 app?" or "Why not just ignore the carriers and release updates straight to customers?" If you honestly believe BBRY management isn't smart enough to come up with those kinds of ideas then you should have concluded that BBRY has far bigger problems than store positioning.
    10-15-13 09:04 PM

But business can work that way. Example, my company has 13,300 BlackBerry's. As the Z10 launched we had the phones brought to us, the carrier and BlackBerry setup all the phones and large booths at our on-site building. Past service plus new aggressive offering to get us set up new kept us from going BYOD and losing thousands of Verizon BlackBerry customers. I recognize the business sector is different, BlackBerry could have gone to the carriers and done more. It's one thing if a customer walks in asking for a different platform. It's another thing when they ask for a BlackBerry and get steered away cause BlackBerry dropped the ball with them. This has gone way off topic. It's really just the same message but to a different tune...marketing missed the boat as much with the carriers as with buyers.

10-15-13 09:08 PM
    Store positioning is something that companies with hot-selling devices can demand, and something that companies with low demand have to PAY FOR. BB paid for displays and kiosks in some retailers (Best Buy and Costco, for example), but they didn't pay for staff to train sales staff or to manage those displays and kiosks (to make sure the phones were turned on and working), and as a result, they achieved very little sell-through from that effort.

Now that BB has stopped paying, those displays and kiosks are gone or thrown away, to make room for the next paying customer. That's how business works. No one does "favors" for other companies, and only companies whose products are in high demand can make demands of their own. That isn't BB right now.
    10-15-13 09:20 PM
    Like in any store the product has to pay for position. If you're at a supermarket the end of aisle products pay more for that location.

Best Buy has a BlackBerry section but its nowhere near the main phone area. BlackBerry has to pay $ for prime location at these retailers.

Apple and Samsung pay the big $ for the prime location of their products.

Posted via CB10
    bp3dots likes this.
    10-15-13 09:25 PM
    Since BlackBerry has made it a point to talk about their cash on hand, if they were serious about trying to regain a foothold in the market, they would go to university book stores and get their products (Z10/Z30 would be most popular with this group) placed and offered at a considerably reduced rate. If you want to build on the "coolness" factor you have to appeal to the youth market. Start at tech schools like MIT, Ga Tech, CalPoly, etc... and broaden to top notch B-schools and others from there. Work with the software developer course curriculum developers to offer your units for free to their classes to build and/or convert android/iTunes apps to work on BlackBerry units.

I have been a loyal BB user for 6 years, now...and I've carried two for nearly all that time because I work for the US government. That BB is always functionally useless, because they turn off the data, camera, BBM, etc. It's great for work email and phone calls...but it's my personal phone that blows away my kids' androids, my wife's iPhone, etc. I've never used BBM because, quite frankly, none of my friends have personal BBs and the government disables it on theirs. Get fully functional devices, along with tutorials, in the hands of US college students for free or nearly free, and watch market penetration explode. Once you achieve that, so much more is possible....
    10-16-13 03:02 AM
    I truely believe BBRY is not smart enough! Hubris supercedes intelligence at BBRY.
    10-20-13 10:54 AM
    how much BB afford to pay the store ?

right now many carrier and store don't want to stock BlackBerry on their store inventory. even one canadians carrier at first don't want to sell BlackBerry latest phone anymore..giving them one of the best position inside the store not going to happen if BB don't pay them huge money.
    10-20-13 11:06 AM
    Its a foregone conclusion that carriers will not support BlackBerry as they used to. I think BlackBerry will no longer chase after the average consumer. We don't have the resources and app ecosystem. Just need to go back to our roots as a enterprise mobile solution for prosumers.
    10-20-13 11:09 AM
    Clearly "demand" was taken literally. You guys love to jump all over people. All I was getting at was two things. First, BlackBerry should be more aggressive. Second, they should leverage the past. BlackBerry at one point owned the market allowing for all the carriers to open stores and kiosks etc. That's all I meant.

I like the idea of them having Kiosks in malls selling OS7, BB10 and accessories. Have the phones on to try out with videos showing off the features. Even leasing space in stores with BlackBerry reps. Could work. Of course so would better marketing. What they are doing is not working.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 02:18 PM
    If you go to Future Shop, the BB10 display consisting of the Q10 and Z10 is tucked nicely in a dark corner out of the way of all the other phones. But hey, at least it's consistent - both FS stores here have the same crappy display.

There's more usually set up at the carrier's tables but those are just dummy demo models.
    10-20-13 07:52 PM
    If you go to Future Shop, the BB10 display consisting of the Q10 and Z10 is tucked nicely in a dark corner out of the way of all the other phones. But hey, at least it's consistent - both FS stores here have the same crappy display.

There's more usually set up at the carrier's tables but those are just dummy demo models.
    It's obvious that this is not the way to do it, who is responsible for this?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by tmanthib; 10-20-13 at 10:49 PM.
    10-20-13 10:10 PM
    It's obvious that this is not the way to do it, who is responsible for this?

Posted via CB10
    responsible : BlackBerry

because they should know if they want to get more carrier support, best place in the store..they need to figure it out how to make people excited about Blackberry phone and buying their phone. carrier and store will always giving priorities to phone that can sell well and make them money.
    10-20-13 10:55 PM
    Like in any store the product has to pay for position. If you're at a supermarket the end of aisle products pay more for that location.

Best Buy has a BlackBerry section but its nowhere near the main phone area. BlackBerry has to pay $ for prime location at these retailers.

Apple and Samsung pay the big $ for the prime location of their products.

Posted via CB10
    100% right. Even Apple buys specific placement in stores, and they have no shortage of demand.

Fun fact: It also cost suppliers more to get eye-level placement in aisles at the grocery store.
    10-25-13 12:11 AM
    My idea that I think would really help BlackBerry 10 devices pick up steam would be how they are positioned in the store. If I was BlackBerry I'd demand a comparable presence. For example, I'd I have a table going left to right like this: WP8, iPhone, BlackBerry Z10 and Q10, and Galaxy on the right end. Turn em on and hook em to wifi. I bet people would be drawn to BlackBerry. The Q10 would stick out and lots would love the keyboard. For those who want the full screen real estate, the Z10 would be sitting right there. Then that beast the Z30 could be added in where and when available.

Nice to see another BlackBerry owner from Philadelphia

Posted via my BlackBerry Z10
    10-25-13 07:20 AM