I was on Yahoo and accidentally followed a link to BGR ( I'm sorry I really TRY not to go there, but sometimes I make mistakes! I clicked the link so they get ONE click, but now you don't have to!) that had a huge "Sponsored by BlackBerry" link to this article:

How Will Samsung's Partnership with BlackBerry Impact Apple?*|*Larry Alton

and after reading it, what I got out of the article wast that it was mostly how Apple is meeting the challenge in dealing with Enterprise, not anything like "Samsung & BlackBerry have Apple by the S&Cs" or anything, so I guess I wanted to check if other CrackBerrians see this article as something that BlackBerry SHOULD have sponsored a link to, or if it's really not in their best interests to have done so.

Frankly, I didn't see a whole lot complimentary about the Samsung / BlackBerry partnership (more of a "Knox sucked so Samsung brought BlackBerry in to unsuck it.") and mentions of Apple acquiring "Divide" software like "Balance" on BB10 which again just seems to pull the rug out from BlackBerry's advertised competitive advantages.
    05-19-15 03:49 PM
    Apple owns enterprise now. They know BlackBerry can't compete with them, Samsung Knox has gone nowhere, but Samsung with BlackBerry's help might be able to. That's why I bet Apple is waiting to see what happens and the contingency plan will be to buy BlackBerry to prevent them from assisting the competition. It would be pocket change to Apple and maybe they can use BES as their MDM and up their creds. Also maybe they could secure future versions of Apple devices better with the people from BlackBerry they don't fire.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-15 06:13 PM
    He'll no I don't want a apple buying blackberry
    05-19-15 08:19 PM
    lnichols: you have to adjust the tone of your posts if you want to be taken seriously as a reasonable and insightful cronstructive critic of BlackBerry. Your post above is just whiny off topic crap. Srsly.

I wasn't soliciting an opinion on the content of the article... I just didn't see the article as something positive that BlackBerry should be sponsoring a link to, as though whomever decided to sponsor the link lacked the reading skills to get that the article wasn't really complimentary. Is my assessment of the article and how ill-advised a sponsored link to it was 'off base'?

If y'all would rather debate whether or not Apple 'owns enterprise' go ahead without me.
    05-19-15 10:46 PM
    Apple owns enterprise now. They know BlackBerry can't compete with them, Samsung Knox has gone nowhere, but Samsung with BlackBerry's help might be able to. That's why I bet Apple is waiting to see what happens and the contingency plan will be to buy BlackBerry to prevent them from assisting the competition. It would be pocket change to Apple and maybe they can use BES as their MDM and up their creds. Also maybe they could secure future versions of Apple devices better with the people from BlackBerry they don't fire.

Posted via CB10
    How many Apple database servers are being run in the Enterprise space? How many people have installed an Apple MDM solution? Oh right, they don't have one. How many Apple email servers are installed in Enterprise?

Apple is a consumer company and is limited in it's scope to Enterprise. Consumer tablets and phones are the only "in" for Enterprise. And in a lot of regulated markets, it is still mostly BlackBerry phones that are mandated. Apple isn't even close to owning the Enterprise space.
    rthonpm likes this.
    05-19-15 11:04 PM
    lnichols: you have to adjust the tone of your posts if you want to be taken seriously as a reasonable and insightful cronstructive critic of BlackBerry. Your post above is just whiny off topic crap. Srsly.

I wasn't soliciting an opinion on the content of the article... I just didn't see the article as something positive that BlackBerry should be sponsoring a link to, as though whomever decided to sponsor the link lacked the reading skills to get that the article wasn't really complimentary. Is my assessment of the article and how ill-advised a sponsored link to it was 'off base'?

If y'all would rather debate whether or not Apple 'owns enterprise' go ahead without me.
    The content of the article was that Samsung Enterprise security is a failure, they are seeking BlackBerry's assistance to bolster it, and Apple is the leader. No BlackBerry should not be sponsoring it unless Chen is trying to bail on hardware, which I think is unfortunately the end goal for all but very special customers. You have to watch Yahoo though as they could be saying that BlackBerry sponsored it when really no such thing occurred. They have been very BlackBerry unfriendly for a while.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-15 05:42 AM
    How many Apple database servers are being run in the Enterprise space? How many people have installed an Apple MDM solution? Oh right, they don't have one. How many Apple email servers are installed in Enterprise?

Apple is a consumer company and is limited in it's scope to Enterprise. Consumer tablets and phones are the only "in" for Enterprise. And in a lot of regulated markets, it is still mostly BlackBerry phones that are mandated. Apple isn't even close to owning the Enterprise space.
    Owns the mobile endpoints in numbers in Enterprise which is clearly the articles focus. Apple, Samsung, and BlackBerry will never own the Backend. BlackBerry might keep the MDM piece, but the Navy has clearly decided to move away from them, other security conscious customers even with BES 10/12 deployments are looking at things like Citrix and iOS which is a clunky solution. I'd like to see if iOS on BES is any better or just a different type of clunky. BlackBerry is the best and most fluid end to end solution, and people I know using it like the work balance feature, but the app support is still the biggest thing holding them back and making people want to evaluate options that do have the apps. They don't even have a Watchdox client and Watchdox website says to use the browser. I'm sure they will get one now, but it just shows the issue that BlackBerry is facing. A secure work space without apps is just a fancy BBOS devices.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-15 05:51 AM
    Owns the mobile endpoints in numbers in Enterprise which is clearly the articles focus. Apple, Samsung, and BlackBerry will never own the Backend. BlackBerry might keep the MDM piece, but the Navy has clearly decided to move away from them, other security conscious customers even with BES 10/12 deployments are looking at things like Citrix and iOS which is a clunky solution. I'd like to see if iOS on BES is any better or just a different type of clunky. BlackBerry is the best and most fluid end to end solution, and people I know using it like the work balance feature, but the app support is still the biggest thing holding them back and making people want to evaluate options that do have the apps. They don't even have a Watchdox client and Watchdox website says to use the browser. I'm sure they will get one now, but it just shows the issue that BlackBerry is facing. A secure work space without apps is just a fancy BBOS devices.

Posted via CB10
    Apple still doesn't own the mobile endpoints. Please provide a source that proves your point?
    05-20-15 10:16 PM
    Apple is a consumer oriented company trying to kludge its products into government and enterprise.

For government, there are multiple issues with integrating the two factor authentication requirements for desktop login with OS X devices. One reason is that Apple removed native support for smart cards in 10.6.8 and now recommends third party support that breaks with every new iteration or minor OS X update.

For iOS, there is also the factor that individual iTunes accounts on corporate devices cannot be centrally managed. Apple's continued push to integrate their cloud services into everything is a further complication since any decent organisation is going to have some kind of limitation on cloud use, especially for its own data.

The only advantage Apple does have is the ease of hiring an iOS developer which makes application building easier, especially with a consistent platform unlike Android.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-15 05:47 AM