OK, so I've heard it a few times but now also seeing on Blackberry's Facebook page. Does this mean the end of BlackBerry handsets?

Posted via the Priv, unless by Passport or laptop or something else...
    09-12-16 02:03 PM
    What does hardware run?
    tjseaman and yrfthl like this.
    09-12-16 02:19 PM
    What does hardware run?
    If you are talking about the priv...HOT!

:-)

Posted via the CB App for PRIV
    09-12-16 03:22 PM
    Well, under the circumstances it could also suggest a separation between the 2 (hardware and software). Given Chen's "suggestion" about exiting the hardware as well as making most of the software available to all droid devices, it's not a particularly hard conclusion to make. Certainly, management at BlackBerry have flipflopped, handset sales has been anything but stellar - hence the question.

09-12-16 04:40 PM
    Well, under the circumstances it could also suggest a separation between the 2 (hardware and software). Given Chen's "suggestion" about exiting the hardware as well as making most of the software available to all droid devices, it's not a particularly hard conclusion to make. Certainly, management at BlackBerry have flipflopped, handset sales has been anything but stellar - hence the question.

Every handset they've released since the Z30 has been hamstrung in some way...the Passport is an exception, though the 3-row kb was a mistake imo. The Priv has a weak keyboard, and the dtek50 is not even a BlackBerry.

Just release a powerful keyboard phone and see what happens. I don't know why they haven't tried this yet.
    09-12-16 04:50 PM
    Blackberry should go back with their old name... (RIM) Research In Motion was less confusing to people... as they are research company for all kind of tech

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    yrfthl, deadcowboy, Matt J and 1 others like this.
    09-12-16 05:47 PM
    Blackberry should go back with their old name... (RIM) Research In Motion was less confusing to people... as they are research company for all kind of tech

This. The BlackBerry brand today is associated with so many negative connotations.
    09-12-16 06:28 PM
    Every handset they've released since the Z30 has been hamstrung in some way...the Passport is an exception, though the 3-row kb was a mistake imo. The Priv has a weak keyboard, and the dtek50 is not even a BlackBerry.

Just release a powerful keyboard phone and see what happens. I don't know why they haven't tried this yet.
    Looking forward to a permanent, non-slider, full keyboard Android/BB phone.
    chockster likes this.
    09-12-16 06:31 PM

Going from RIM to BlackBerry was the BIGGEST MISTAKE ever from a marketing perspective.
    deadcowboy and yrfthl like this.
    09-12-16 07:06 PM
    If you are talking about the priv...HOT!

:-)

Posted via the CB App for PRIV
    Bazinga!!!!
    09-12-16 07:58 PM
    Going from RIM to BlackBerry was the BIGGEST MISTAKE ever from a marketing perspective.
    Ironic that, when Heins announced that change, I posted a pic of your avatar: Riker doing the facepalm.
    09-12-16 08:04 PM

I disagree in the passport 3 row being a mistake. I thought that before having one, then bought one, and the keyboard is great. The problem with the keyboard is that the keys were a bit too stiff wich wouldn't let you glide through the keys like previous blackberrys
    09-12-16 08:31 PM
    If the DTEK50 is any indication, they have already exited hardware. Hopefully that is not the case. One thing is certain, the re-branding strategy lets them ride that fence a little longer. The next model or two will speak volumes. On the BB10 side Chen may have pulled the plug a little too fast...not being able to make NAIP certification (ie. 10.3.3) is pretty embarrassing.

Posted via BlackBerry Priv STV100-1
    acovey likes this.
    09-12-16 09:07 PM
    BlackBerry's differentiation comes in the secure Comms and software suite they offer.

IMO, DTEK50 further lowers their risks in the hardware business and they may likely continue this Biz model till they figure out how to make money on hardware.

09-13-16 06:06 AM
    The Priv physical keyboard is excellent. And the Passport's keyboard is too. The name change was RIM's biggest mistake. In fact, it wasn't a mistake.

BlackBerry's biggest mistake was not recognizing that the purchaser of smartphones wanted a reliable and easy to use OS for more than communication. They failed to see the value of all touch, and entertainment. The java based OS was at its limits in what it could do. Though the advantage of BIS was lower data usage, it also slowed down the browser. The poorly designed Storm was a failure to operate properly and then repeated delays in getting fixes (partly blackBerry's fault and mostly carrier fault) and the perception of having to constantly reboot for freezes killed their sales.

And last but not least, they don't have the resources for effective marketing, and when they did, they didn't know how.
    tazcubed and aastyre99 like this.
    09-13-16 06:48 AM
    The java based OS was at its limits in what it could do.
    I know that this is more a knock on BBOS, but it also sounds as a knock on Java. Of course, Android uses a Java layer for their apps.
    09-13-16 06:57 AM
    I think people get too hung up on the underlying OS. When BlackBerry moved from its Java-based OS, to the recently acquired QNX, people were complaining that it wasn't "real" BlackBerry. Now, hardly anyone mentions the old Java-based system. And with the move from QNX to Android, it's just another transition.

BlackBerry was ALWAYS about the software and the user experience. The "BlackBerry experience", much like the "Zen of Palm" in how the whole interacts, not the individual components such as the kernel or OS. BlackBerry has done an absolutely fabulous job of bringing this experience to Android. With updates coming our weekly, it just keeps getting better.

Priv and DTEK50 are all BlackBerry.
    09-13-16 06:58 AM
    Branding BlackBerry Android phones is going to take a while. Security does not seem to be on the priority list for most consumers, most are more concerned abt the latest tech that no other brands have. *There are also the apps available to replace any BlackBerry apps. *So why indeed do you buy a BlackBerry Android phone?*

As many would have commented in the forums,

1. They like the security

2. They like the pkb

3. They like the BlackBerry 10 experience.

09-13-16 06:59 AM

I beg to disagree regarding Priv's keyboard. What bothers me about the Priv is its "colossal" battery that drains easily and its frequent overheating.
    09-13-16 06:59 AM
    I beg to disagree regarding Priv's keyboard. What bothers me about the Priv is its "colossal" battery that drains easily and its frequent overheating.
    Just out of curiosity, do you have one of the earlier units? I got mine when it was first released, only replaced last month after the Priv pancaked on the ground and broke the screen. The new one is lasting significantly longer such that making a day of it doesn't involve carrying a charger to carry on (I figure I'm getting about 20-30% longer lasting). The heat is still an issue though.
    09-13-16 08:38 AM
    If they had remained RIM they could have rebranded the hardware div. Now that the company name is BlackBerry it will be a hard sell as too many people think of BlackBerry as an old OS7 or prior system.

The only other way is come out with a phone to beat all phones and spec it out of this world. Even if it does not sell the fact is people will look and praise the tech. At the same time keep making low cost phones in the android space.

I do appreciate the fact that the company has shifted to a software focused firm. Just need to keep their feet in the hardware side imho.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-16 08:40 AM
    Just out of curiosity, do you have one of the earlier units? I got mine when it was first released, only replaced last month after the Priv pancaked on the ground and broke the screen. The new one is lasting significantly longer such that making a day of it doesn't involve carrying a charger to carry on (I figure I'm getting about 20-30% longer lasting). The heat is still an issue though.
    Thinking the same and planning to get another Priv. Mine is from day 1 and although the recent update did a good job, i never have a chance to experience what some of you here has

09-13-16 09:02 AM
    I disagree in the passport 3 row being a mistake. I thought that before having one, then bought one, and the keyboard is great. The problem with the keyboard is that the keys were a bit too stiff wich wouldn't let you glide through the keys like previous blackberrys
    My first passport had stiff keys too.. Typing was a bit difficult but i adjusted. I replaced it after the Bluetooth stopped working and the new one has the most perfect touch to the keys. Its by far my favorite phone I have every used/owned/seen.
    Jane23 likes this.
    09-13-16 09:11 AM
    My first passport had stiff keys too.. Typing was a bit difficult but i adjusted. I replaced it after the Bluetooth stopped working and the new one has the most perfect touch to the keys. Its by far my favorite phone I have every used/owned/seen.
    I had one of the very first. When the passport silver edition came out, people told here on the forums that the keys were softer too.
    09-13-16 09:15 AM
    If they had remained RIM they could have rebranded the hardware div. Now that the company name is BlackBerry it will be a hard sell as too many people think of BlackBerry as an old OS7 or prior system.
    Absolutely, and I've said that many times in the past.

One of BB's biggest problems is that they're so insulated in Waterloo that they don't seem to grasp how they are seen by the rest of the world. No one with any marketing sense would have suggested that RIM change its name to BB after having destroyed all goodwill around that name and turning BB into a negative brand image. Anyone with a brain would have given BB10 and BES entirely different, non-BB-related names to signal that this was a new product and not tied to previous failures.

I mean, I don't think this was one of BB's Top 3 mistakes, but it's definitely in the Top 10, and maybe Top 5. It certainly showed how out-of-touch RIM/BB was with their brand value, especially in developed nations where they hoped to make most of their money.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and JeepBB like this.
    09-13-16 01:38 PM
44 12