I'm back with my crazy thoughts!

For those who don't know Slack is a group communication tool (check slack.com)

For me it's really just from-the-ground-up re-imagining of BBM groups, and last year I wrote a post saying that the BBM groups section of BBM is undervalued and isn't getting the attention it deserves or achieving it's potential because it's surrounded by too many things, and that by separating it from the BBM app (but still maintaining relationships between the apps) BBM could grow the value of Groups and see some amazing use from it.

One option now for BlackBerry is to try and acquire or work with slack so it could actually replace the BBM groups part of BBM because it works so much better in most senses from what I've seen here are a few of the reasons;

- ability to send messages privately to individuals within the group (don't need to add them as contacts or whalever)

- ability to have a 'slackbot' which is basically like a dead contact that you use to write notes inside the group just for you

- file sharing space

-ability to search both usernames and key words

- private groups within group

Now granted BBM groups still has some things going for it - sync to calendar, dedicated space for notes etc, and a place to view all media but this could all be merged into a slack/bbmgroups hybrid

I even like the way of signing up a slack group, each group has their own address e.g. crackteam.slack.com and you can also screen invites so only people with a certain handle can sign into the group e.g. bla1ze@'crackberry.com' i.e. [email protected] wouldn't be able to sign in if you didn't want him to.

Either way if BlackBerry is in the business of driving up value for BBM, they need to rethink BBM groups coz there's a ton of money to be made, companies are changing the way their teams work and this is a great way to keep up with that me thinks.

End of craze.

Check Out TechCraze
    johnnyuk likes this.
    06-01-15 04:36 AM
    I agree that Slack would be a nice acquisition by BlackBerry.
    A good starting point in improving BBM Groups and Blend.

06-10-15 12:12 PM
    I agree that Slack would be a nice acquisition by BlackBerry.
    A good starting point in improving BBM Groups and Blend.

Maybe they should start by making it possible to use Slack on a Blackberry. I can't figure out how to do it even with the browser.
    06-11-15 07:58 AM
    Maybe they should start by making it possible to use Slack on a Blackberry. I can't figure out how to do it even with the browser.
    Android app is workable, just doesn't have notifications but you can turn email ones on, also there is a native slack application in the works

Check Out TechCraze
    06-11-15 09:04 AM
    I don't think BlackBerry can acquire slack, it's recent valuation was something in the billion mark and it is a revenue generating business.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-15 10:31 AM
    I don't think BlackBerry can acquire slack, it's recent valuation was something in the billion mark and it is a revenue generating business.

Posted via CB10
    Doesn't rule out a partnership and valuation for investment purposes may differ from valuation for an acquirement

Check Out TechCraze
    06-11-15 10:46 AM
    Doesn't rule out a partnership and valuation for investment purposes may differ from valuation for an acquirement

Check Out TechCraze
    But the acquisition price would at least typically be more, not less, wouldn't it? We use Slack a lot. It is really nice. The nice thing is that all my messages are on all my devices. It's me that they go to not a specific device like when using BBM. That really limits BBM for me. In fact I don't use it because of that.
    06-11-15 06:28 PM
    But the acquisition price would at least typically be more, not less, wouldn't it? We use Slack a lot. It is really nice. The nice thing is that all my messages are on all my devices. It's me that they go to not a specific device like when using BBM. That really limits BBM for me. In fact I don't use it because of that.
    Blend?

Check Out TechCraze
    06-12-15 08:22 AM
    Blend?

Check Out TechCraze
    I don't know if Blend would effect this. Doesn't it just run on BBs? With Slack any message is on my iphone, ipads, desktop computer and any notebook I am using at the time.
    06-12-15 09:09 AM
    I don't know if Blend would effect this. Doesn't it just run on BBs? With Slack any message is on my iphone, ipads, desktop computer and any notebook I am using at the time.
    Where have you been? http://uk.blackberry.com/software/bl...d=BB10Kbd&o=10

If anything BlackBerry's are the one thing Blend doesn't run on..

And blend is more than BBM messages, it's emails, calendar, file manager etc.

Check Out TechCraze
    06-12-15 01:49 PM
    In my OP I outlined some of the differences between slack and BBM and things that are missing from each

Check Out TechCraze
    06-12-15 01:51 PM

Check Out TechCraze

But that's nothing like just moving from device to device picking up where you left off instead being tied down to one device and having to connect it up to your different devices to use the service.
    06-12-15 02:43 PM
    But that's nothing like just moving from device to device picking up where you left off instead being tied down to one device and having to connect it up to your different devices to use the service.
    But what you just described is 'like' that? You only have to set Blend up once then it's a matter of launching the app and picking up where you left off?..

Look, just try it out test it for yourself and see how it works that's the only way you'll understand the differences.. or visit the numerous more relevant threads that talk about Blend (which I emphasise again is more than just bbm) ..

yes Slack's multi-device interface is nice.. personally there are things lacking, hence why I would love to see a bbm groups/slack mash-up

Check Out TechCraze
    06-12-15 05:11 PM
    But what you just described is 'like' that? You only have to set Blend up once then it's a matter of launching the app and picking up where you left off?..

Look, just try it out test it for yourself and see how it works that's the only way you'll understand the differences.. or visit the numerous more relevant threads that talk about Blend (which I emphasise again is more than just bbm) ..

yes Slack's multi-device interface is nice.. personally there are things lacking, hence why I would love to see a bbm groups/slack mash-up

Check Out TechCraze

From a developer point of view I would prefer to develop for the different devices I am aiming at, a "tailored experience". I have seen videos on Blend, I'm not convinced on connecting my devices together and have all my data on one device when multiple end points allows people to be much more flexible
    06-12-15 05:14 PM

Check Out TechCraze
    Thanks but the link doesn't work.
    06-12-15 05:20 PM
    From a developer point of view I would prefer to develop for the different devices I am aiming at, a "tailored experience". I have seen videos on Blend, I'm not convinced on connecting my devices together and have all my data on one device when multiple end points allows people to be much more flexible

And also less secure

Check Out TechCraze
    06-12-15 06:13 PM
    Thanks but the link doesn't work.
    Works for me.. try just googling blackberry blend

Check Out TechCraze
    06-12-15 06:14 PM
    And also less secure

Check Out TechCraze

Not really, using OAuth for the service can be very secure for authorization, using tokens instead user credentials and allows for the service provider to easily allow and manage first and third party clients and their scopes. HTTPS for connections and sending data in a restful manner should be good for a cross device always syncing service.
    06-12-15 06:19 PM
    Works for me.. try just googling blackberry blend

Check Out TechCraze
    Thanks, I did Google for it. It was a bit vague but I will look at it some more. It seems like an add on that converts BBM into a more modern messaging system which might work. But it isn't clear why we wouldn't just use Slack since it is already on our phones, tablets and desktops.
    06-12-15 06:23 PM
    Thanks, I did Google for it. It was a bit vague but I will look at it some more. It seems like an add on that converts BBM into a more modern messaging system which might work. But it isn't clear why we wouldn't just use Slack since it is already on our phones, tablets and desktops.
    They aren't really competitors, you can use both. I'm just saying that there are things both companies can learn from each other

Check Out TechCraze
    06-12-15 06:25 PM
    Not really, using OAuth for the service can be very secure for authorization, using tokens instead user credentials and allows for the service provider to easily allow and manage first and third party clients and their scopes. HTTPS for connections and sending data in a restful manner should be good for a cross device always syncing service.
    Blend is always syncing though? And I'm not talking about security in that sense, it's security in the sense that it all comes from one device.. so less connections that could potentially be hacked

In any case Blend also makes sense that way because the aim is to have access to your main device from other devices.. slack isn't tied to any one device so again doesn't make sense to compare them that way it's just two different ways of doing things.

Check Out TechCraze
    06-12-15 06:29 PM
    Blend is always syncing though? And I'm not talking about security in that sense, it's security in the sense that it all comes from one device.. so less connections that could potentially be hacked

In any case Blend also makes sense that way because the aim is to have access to your main device from other devices.. slack isn't tied to any one device so again doesn't make sense to compare them that way it's just two different ways of doing things.

Check Out TechCraze
    Yes but my point was it is much better to be able to pickup and carry on where ever you are, with blend you require your device and OS to be supported unlike having apps, web clients and API's allows it to be a much more useful in a wider set of circumstances. Limited by requiring the device for enabling the service on multiple devices is an unnecessary limitation.

If the connections follow the same protocols and methods on every application, hacking shouldn't be a major issue.

Edit: Sorry for going way off topic.
    06-12-15 06:42 PM
    Yes but my point was it is much better to be able to pickup and carry on where ever you are, with blend you require your device and OS to be supported unlike having apps, web clients and API's allows it to be a much more useful in a wider set of circumstances. Limited by requiring the device for enabling the service on multiple devices is an unnecessary limitation.

If the connections follow the same protocols and methods on every application, hacking shouldn't be a major issue.

Edit: Sorry for going way off topic.
    But it is necessary with Blend at the moment because Blend is an extension of the BlackBerry device.. without the device there's nothing to.. blend, bbm etc. Aren't cloud services they extend from the device.

Check Out TechCraze
    06-12-15 06:54 PM
    But it is necessary with Blend at the moment because Blend is an extension of the BlackBerry device.. without the device there's nothing to.. blend, bbm etc. Aren't cloud services they extend from the device.

Check Out TechCraze
    Maybe a version of Apples continuity can be used for a better personal cloud from the device which can be used to funnel first and third party data through to different devices.
    I promise no more off topic comments
    tinochiko likes this.
    06-12-15 07:00 PM
    Maybe a version of Apples continuity can be used for a better personal cloud from the device which can be used to funnel first and third party data through to different devices.
    I promise no more off topic comments
    And this would start by looking at their different value propositions (e.g. BBM groups) allowing it to develop and exist outside bbm and blackberry at large..

Check Out TechCraze
    06-12-15 07:04 PM
26 12