Some people are fabulously wealthy because of their talent for predicting stockmarket events.

I believe the implication of your post was to imply that when an over-valued stock collapses (assuming that Twitter, et all are over-valued), everyone loses... and that's simply untrue. The non-fools win, and often win big!

As for the "constantly being on CB forums" crack... with your 4,303 posts an' all ... have you heard the expression "the pot calling the kettle black" before?
    Where did i say everyone loses exactly? As for being in the CB forums, i wasn't the one who implied I could time the markets meaning if you could you would have better things to do then flood this place with your constant BlackBerry bashing and predictions that amount to nothing of substance. And those people you speak of who can time the market properly are the vast minority of the investing public.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-15-16 02:20 PM
    Oh-Kay... I'll leave your rant there I think.

Nothing good will come of my replying.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    10-15-16 02:23 PM
    Even BlackBerry had the money, why would they buy a company that is also losing money?
    If BlackBerry had unlimited money, I would want them to buy Facebook and burn it .
    Flatman likes this.
    10-15-16 02:38 PM
    It would be a match made in heaven as both of them don't earn profits. lol
    Twitter Has Lost More Than $2 Billion in 10 Years
    Mmmmhhhh... how about a merger swapping shares...? ;-D

�   "BB10 dead?" - "Let's dance the Danse MacaBBRY! ... or is it..?" ;-D   �
    skibnik likes this.
    10-15-16 03:20 PM
    All these social apps with massive valuations and little to no profit or anything tangible are not sustainable. That bubble will burst sooner or later.
    Well, there is a big difference between no profit and nothing tangible.

You're talking about a company with about $2.5B in revenue and something around $1.5B in gross profits. They could cut R&D enough to turn a net profit next month if they had to. It's not as if there isn't enough money coming in the door each day.

Of course they continue to invest very heavily in R&D because they are still a young and growing company with a strong user base and > $3B in net cash. I think they're making the right general choice there. The questions are around if those expensive R&D projects are well managed. That part I do have questions about (and I have reduced my position a bit because of it)

But their core business is a very nice business. Other people write their content for free, readers clearly and directly convey specific intent/interest, and Twitter gets fantastic data with which to place ads. All to the tune of $2.5B/yr. That's not a bad business at all.
    JeepBB and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    10-15-16 03:26 PM
    Well, there is a big difference between no profit and nothing tangible.

You're talking about a company with about $2.5B in revenue and something around $1.5B in gross profits. They could cut R&D enough to turn a net profit next month if they had to. It's not as if there isn't enough money coming in the door each day.

Of course they continue to invest very heavily in R&D because they are still a young and growing company with a strong user base and > $3B in net cash. I think they're making the right general choice there. The questions are around if those expensive R&D projects are well managed. That part I do have questions about (and I have reduced my position a bit because of it)

But their core business is a very nice business. Other people write their content for free, readers clearly and directly convey specific intent/interest, and Twitter gets fantastic data with which to place ads. All to the tune of $2.5B/yr. That's not a bad business at all.
    Yep.

Twitter already is part of the internet infrastructure like lights on a city motorway, and won't - or rather - can't simply disappear... unless user behaviour drastically changes and no one wants to read and share those short messages anymore... :-)

�   "BB10 dead?" - "Let's dance the Danse MacaBBRY! ... or is it..?" ;-D   �
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-15-16 03:38 PM
    Yep.

Twitter already is part of the internet infrastructure like lights on a city motorway, and won't - or rather - can't simply disappear... unless user behaviour drastically changes and no one wants to read and share those short messages anymore... :-)

Like mIRC, ICQ or napster? Imo nothing except Google search can be considered as part of the Internet infrastructure.
    10-15-16 03:48 PM
    Like mIRC, ICQ or napster? Imo nothing except Google search can be considered as part of the Internet infrastructure.
    They own that one now. Indelibly inked into the brains of the masses. Now a verb. Same as "tweeting"... :-)

(edit: that's on the application layer. The other layers of the network infrastructure are too mundane to be even mentioned, like the root servers, ICANN / IANA, DNS, etc...)

(edit 2: right...! that's why I said, "until / unless user behaviour drastically changes", such in the case of ICQ - but is there any website without a Twitter share button, or Facebook, or G+?)

JeepBB likes this.
    10-15-16 04:11 PM
    They own that one now. Indelibly inked into the brains of the masses. Now a verb. Same as "tweeting"... :-)

(edit: that's on the application layer. The other layers of the network infrastructure are too mundane to be even mentioned, like the root servers, ICANN / IANA, DNS, etc...)

(edit 2: right...! that's why I said, "until / unless user behaviour drastically changes", such in the case of ICQ - but is there any website without a Twitter share button, or Facebook, or G+?)

They can all change. I even think websites are going to be dead after some time. We will all have apps. Twitter is more fragile then Facebook or Instagram even though I like it more. It is pretty close to messengers. Who knows what the future will hold
    10-15-16 04:20 PM
    They have a little over $1B in net cash. Twitter's current market value is a little under $12B.

BB's market cap is about $4B. One could still imagine some merger scenario if one had a sufficiently vivid imagination, I suppose.

However, there are probably not enough foolish Twitter shareholders to agree to such a thing.
    Come on! They can make it palatable by throwing in some left over inventory. A few Z10's, a Z30, unsold Priv's and a Playbook or two. That should satisfy stockholders in Twitter, I'd think.
    DrBoomBotz, JeepBB and eldricho like this.
    10-15-16 06:26 PM
    They can all change. I even think websites are going to be dead after some time. We will all have apps. Twitter is more fragile then Facebook or Instagram even though I like it more. It is pretty close to messengers. Who knows what the future will hold
    I seem to think otherwise.

I believe that in the future there will be no more apps. I believe that there will be mobile sites. The reason is as follows ;
    - it is cheaper to maintain one app as compared to 2 apps.
    - whether or not a company has an app they already have a website.
    - the website developer will only need to update information once and it can be catered to all medium at one time.
    - I am beginning to see and use more mobile sites rather than apps as the mobile sites has more functionality as compared to apps from banks and movie cinemas.

10-16-16 12:03 AM

I believe that in the future there will be no more apps. I believe that there will be mobile sites. The reason is as follows ;
    - the website developer will only need to update information once and it can be catered to all medium at one time.
    - I am beginning to see and use more mobile sites rather than apps as the mobile sites has more functionality as compared to apps from banks and movie cinemas.

HTML mobile site with notifications and "apps" as simple wrappers will likely be the future.

Where is "write once, run anywhere" ...?
    It got stuck somewhere.... :-D

10-16-16 02:55 AM

Well you might be right. But that destroys ecosystems I don't think Apple or Google will accept that.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    10-16-16 04:00 AM
    Well you might be right. But that destroys ecosystems I don't think Apple or Google will accept that.
    Then it would be good to level the playing field. Then Windows and BlackBerry should push all out to advocate this then. The only thing is that games will not be able to go this way.

So they will still have the upper hand on games.

10-16-16 06:44 AM
    Twitter has triple the market cap of BlackBerry.

Might as well ask them to acquire Apple.
    I did hear from a guy that BlackBerry was secretly pulling the strings behind the battery fires over at Samsung. After all you can't beat them, set their phones ablaze. Now be aware this is from the same guy who predicted the NY Giants would win a Superbowl last year and Canada would be a 51st State........so it must be all true........LOL
    10-16-16 09:39 AM
    If BB were to acquire Twitter, it could help establish a new user base for BBM and give BBM Channels new life and focus. Obviously, money would be an issue but this could be the boost that BB needs to boost software start competing with other platforms like WhatsApp and WeChat.
    How did you come up with this... What do we call this? It's not really an idea. when a company is broke but still relevant, buying a company that compliments whet they already have to offer could be a prudent decision. BB is broke, they're irrelevant, and they have nothing that could be Complimentary to twitter or vice versa. Like many others before you young Jedi, you are having problems accepting the fact that BB dropped the ball almost a decade ago. A comeback will NEVER happen. The company needs to transform into something much smaller and focus on anything but phones and an OS. They'll never manufacture phones again, nor will they ever have a relevant OS to offer the public. The public and developers have spoken. They've spoken many times and they are just not interested in BB. I know some will disagree but, numbers simply dont lie.
    10-16-16 12:13 PM
    How did you come up with this... What do we call this? It's not really an idea. when a company is broke but still relevant, buying a company that compliments whet they already have to offer could be a prudent decision. BB is broke, they're irrelevant, and they have nothing that could be Complimentary to twitter or vice versa. Like many others before you young Jedi, you are having problems accepting the fact that BB dropped the ball almost a decade ago. A comeback will NEVER happen. The company needs to transform into something much smaller and focus on anything but phones and an OS. They'll never manufacture phones again, nor will they ever have a relevant OS to offer the public. The public and developers have spoken. They've spoken many times and they are just not interested in BB. I know some will disagree but, numbers simply dont lie.
    Well if you have ever read any of my comments on here, I'm quite aware that a BlackBerry phone may never be relevant again. I was talking more how they could make BBM more useful and appealing, as it is software. I can't say that I personally use Twitter, but am aware that it is for sale. I know nothing of business but have thought with this being the Armchair CEO section, that I would throw the idea out there. Both Twitter and BlackBerry have similar sized companies and revenue.
    10-16-16 10:06 PM
    Then it would be good to level the playing field. Then Windows and BlackBerry should push all out to advocate this then. The only thing is that games will not be able to go this way.

Neither Apple nor Google want a level playing field.... and right now when either talks, developers still jump. It's already too late for Windows or BlackBerry to go advocating anything. There will be no HTML5 equal playing field or revolt by developer to force one App for all.... (dreams from back in 2010).

As for the future.... Apps will evolve into BOTs that will be used by the Assistants or AI (but they aren't yet really AIs). At some future point you aren't going to by typing and interfacing with your phone physically... it will be all verbal. And if you want to check your Bank Balance, an Email, Weather for this weekend, or order a Pizza... the connected AI sitting is some huge server farm, will simply connect to a very "smart" bot on that developer (companies) server or site, to that Assistant to do those task. While I do think this might be your one platform fits all model - unless someone really jumps out ahead of the others. It won't do BlackBerry any good as 1) they are out of that business, 2) they don't have their own assistant (they were renting theirs) 3) they don't have the money or R&D to play in this game

But then too it will come down to who's AI is the best... kinda like all Search Engines aren't the same, neither will the AIs. If SIRI 2.0 doesn't evolve or Google doesn't really get better.... who knows if developers might not tweak their bots to work best with one or two of the top AIs. Google, Apple, Facebook, and Amazon are the main players in this platform race towards an Assitant AI (or as close as we can make one appear "real"). Microsoft is playing catch up with Cortana, but they have a ways to go, and there are a few other players trying to jump into the party.... but might already be too late, as we are talking about very complicated systems that need a lot of data to help them to learn and grow.

But just like BlackBerry is not in a position to buy Twitter, they simply aren't in a position to be part of "that" future.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-17-16 03:54 PM
    That's my plan for when CrackBerry is no longer relevant.
    So then you're doing stand-up full time now?

I'M KIDDING!! I LOVE CRACKBERRY!!
    10-17-16 08:29 PM
    So then you're doing stand-up full time now?

I'M KIDDING!! I LOVE CRACKBERRY!!
    Only Wed-Thur. They pay me in beer. It works out.
    JeepBB and Ronindan like this.
    10-17-16 08:32 PM
    Only Wed-Thur. They pay me in beer. It works out.
    Haha, the door was left open. I had no choice since the relevant question pops up on a monthly basis in here.
    Ronindan likes this.
    10-17-16 08:35 PM
    I believe this is the bigger fool theory.

Like the children's party game of "pass the parcel", but in reverse, the trick with stocks is not to be left holding them when the music stops bubble bursts.
    That's rather like the definition of a MLM scheme too, isn't it?
    10-18-16 12:34 PM

Chen did try to advocate for this. No one listened.

One reason my company didn't listen is because 99.5% of our users who have smartphones can easily download our apps from Play or the AppStore. There is no problem there for which we need a solution. BlackBerry might have had a problem, but we as developers didn't and don't. Our apps work just fine for our users.

Our job as a company is not to worry about BlackBerry. Our job is to cater to what our own users want and need.

Also, those same users have access to our HTML5 mobile site. For the most part they don't care for that, they strongly prefer the app. Performance, fluidity do matter even for non-games. And our designers have much, much more freedom in native apps than they do in HTML.
    10-18-16 12:51 PM
    That's rather like the definition of a MLM scheme too, isn't it?
    Anyone who believes in MLM schemes aka Pyramid schemes is certainly the Biggest Fool of all! LOL

Pyramid schemes, like their close cousins, the chain-letter scams, are pretty straight-forward scams on the gullible who can't do maths.

The "send $10 to the top name on the list, and add your name to the bottom of the list and in no time you'll be fabulously rich!!!" chain-letter scams are still surprisingly common. Only the crook at the top of the list ever makes money because there simply aren't enough people on the planet to get your name to the top of the list.

I don't play the stock-market, my pension and savings are invested by professionals who hopefully know what they're doing. If I played the stock-market, my being the bigger fool would be only a matter of time! LOL
    10-18-16 01:43 PM
    Chen did try to advocate for this. No one listened.

One reason my company didn't listen is because 99.5% of our users who have smartphones can easily download our apps from Play or the AppStore. There is no problem there for which we need a solution. BlackBerry might have had a problem, but we as developers didn't and don't. Our apps work just fine for our users.

Our job as a company is not to worry about BlackBerry. Our job is to cater to what our own users want and need.

Also, those same users have access to our HTML5 mobile site. For the most part they don't care for that, they strongly prefer the app. Performance, fluidity do matter even for non-games. And our designers have much, much more freedom in native apps than they do in HTML.
    Ha ha ha ha ha

What foolish prejudice you have. Good for you anyway just keep doing double work then. Enjoy.

10-19-16 07:25 AM
84 1234