Nokia wants to sell Here Maps (and its entire maps business)

I know BB doesn't have much cash at the moment to make acquisitions, but this one would definitely be useful when it comes to QNX and their stronghold in the automotive industry.

If BB can't acquire it, then I think it may be of interest to Amazon. Once Amazon has it, then BB can partner with them to push their maps into cars, along with their app store.
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    04-11-15 02:21 AM
    "Nokia" as in "Nokia that remains after selling the phone dept. to Microsoft", right?

Wouldn't Microsoft be interested in acquiring that maps business as well?

(edit Bing Maps could use a boost!

  Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....  
    04-11-15 10:40 PM
    Wouldn't Microsoft be interested in acquiring that maps business as well?

(edit Bing Maps could use a boost!
    So could Apple Maps.
    04-12-15 12:25 AM

I know BB doesn't have much cash at the moment to make acquisitions, but this one would definitely be useful when it comes to QNX and their stronghold in the automotive industry.

If BB can't acquire it, then I think it may be of interest to Amazon. Once Amazon has it, then BB can partner with them to push their maps into cars, along with their app store.
    Amazon already licenses their mapping data so it may interest them. Most of Here Maps income is derived from licenses with the automotive industry, so it would be a great addition to QNX in that way. However it's also loosing $$$$ atm & would take BlackBerry's focus away from their own turn around. Not to mention the purchase would almost wipe out BlackBerry's cash reserve.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-15 09:49 AM
    Interesting.

I absolutely love the Here suit (Maps and Driving) on my Windows Phone Lumia. My 920 has been a great gps.
    04-12-15 09:57 AM
    Nokia paid $8.1B for Navteq in 2008 and even though Here Maps is very capable, they continue to lose money on it probably due to competition from other big companies investing in their own mapping technology.

As far as QNX goes, they are allowing CarPlay and Android Auto to hook smartphones up to nav systems so the use of in-dash mapping systems will probably go down just as the use of mobile GPS devices has.
    04-12-15 10:01 AM
    Buying and selling companies is very much like selling a used car, very few sell a good one. Maps are a mature technology and are now seen as a commodity, which means any future revenues are going to fall as competition increases amongst the numerous, sometimes large players. I'm sure Nokia has done a best case/worst case forecast and seen the writing on the wall.

I think Blackberry is looking at this as a "rent or buy" proposition. Licensing a map function puts the updating and improving the app on the provider, freeing QNX resources to pursue adding more value to the base OS and new features. Further, licensing gives QNX the ability to "play the market" and get the best map app for the best price as they're not tied to any one platform.

Now, there's always a chance for a steal, but companies are usually trying the maximize their returns, so I'm not optimistic there is a deal here for Blackberry.
    04-13-15 08:37 AM

This is HUGE!!!

BlackBerry could immensely benefit with this ...

Bring on Cookie Tracking! I miss this from Symbain S60 days!!!
    04-14-15 06:58 PM
    Buying and selling companies is very much like selling a used car, very few sell a good one. Maps are a mature technology and are now seen as a commodity, which means any future revenues are going to fall as competition increases amongst the numerous, sometimes large players. I'm sure Nokia has done a best case/worst case forecast and seen the writing on the wall.

I think Blackberry is looking at this as a "rent or buy" proposition. Licensing a map function puts the updating and improving the app on the provider, freeing QNX resources to pursue adding more value to the base OS and new features. Further, licensing gives QNX the ability to "play the market" and get the best map app for the best price as they're not tied to any one platform.

Now, there's always a chance for a steal, but companies are usually trying the maximize their returns, so I'm not optimistic there is a deal here for Blackberry.
    However there is another big picture you maybe missing.

Maps is continuously growing and changing ... in small increments. New neighborhoods, streets, highways/roads ... but small changes over a few years in any province/state/city.

The bigger picture here is locating and tracking IoT endpoints as their in transit! This gives BlackBerry's IoT something larger and much more powerful on the scale .... say implementing ON*Star with other car brands and already with their newly implemented cellular radio as a stack part of QNX ... something that was promised in November of 2013 and announced then as being in the works has in the last 2 months come to fruition. Now add this with various provider information for roaming, landscape, elevation, rate of travel/speed, weather alerts, amber alerts - Think of an Amber Alert ... a missing child in the hands of a pedo ... a person spots it and reports to a cellular WAP PUSH number. The servers get updated ... another does the same on the same highway ... now descriptions are placed ... radio towers for all cellular providers are used and rate of speed all quickly triangulated ... squash that ... EASIER to use the license plate, car make and description, direction ... potential model numbers and insurance companies with databases participated easily locate the car with traffic cameras on/off ramps ... then cellular providers match cellular phone records private into secured privately accessible based on warrant or emergency situations to locate the cellphone and line and track the car of said pedo. Pedo is on watch Justice of the Peace quickly gets a warrant or uses existing tickets for the pedo driving/doing the kidnapping and seemingly randomly sets up a pull over or M.A.A.D. pull over! Pedo is not alarmed and BANG STING STING STING ... pedo has no time to harm or threaten the life of the child.

Get my thinking?

Maps are much more powerful than you think ... humans have been looking at the stars and trying to map our world for thousands of years .. I doubt we're done yet. Now for the sea!

Crazy yes I am.
    04-14-15 07:09 PM
    its a bit rich a company neither here nor there buying a product called Here lol
    04-14-15 07:35 PM
    Blackberry is in a good position for acquisition right now as Mr. Chen have mention it and plan or doing a few to expand its business portfolio. However map is on the least on his mind right now. He's thinking more in enterprise and security acquisition.

Long live Blackberry.
    04-14-15 11:14 PM
    However there is another big picture you maybe missing.

Maps is continuously growing and changing ... in small increments. New neighborhoods, streets, highways/roads ... but small changes over a few years in any province/state/city.

Maps are much more powerful than you think ... humans have been looking at the stars and trying to map our world for thousands of years .. I doubt we're done yet. Now for the sea!

Crazy yes I am.
    I think you're merging GPS/Location services and mapping into one technology component, which they're not. I very much doubt there's much GPS technology included in the this company.
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    04-15-15 02:56 PM
    I think they'd be better off buying Sierra wireless to fill out QNX.

Sierra Wireless is well known as an "Internet of Things" play. Its key products include wireless modules, which can be installed into devices to give them cellular data connections, and wireless gateways that allow multiple Internet-capable devices to access an Internet connection.

With a market cap of 1.1 billion, I would say they can swing it. The downside, Sierra isn't profitable and that would kill it.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-15 07:09 PM
    I think they'd be better off buying Sierra wireless to fill out QNX.

Sierra Wireless is well known as an "Internet of Things" play. Its key products include wireless modules, which can be installed into devices to give them cellular data connections, and wireless gateways that allow multiple Internet-capable devices to access an Internet connection.

With a market cap of 1.1 billion, I would say they can swing it. The downside, Sierra isn't profitable and that would kill it.

Posted via CB10
    Give Chen more stuff to fix... he likes it... ;-)
    Maybe Prem's got another loose billion up the sleeve, haha...

  Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....  
    04-23-15 05:41 PM
    Read Apple is one of the front runners for HERE Maps. If true it's another good investment.
    I'm hoping with Chen and Google working together on, I believe it was, security for Android phones Chen can cut some sort of deal for Google apps - I can only dream native - to show up in BlackBerry World. That would hopefully help get the ball moving on more app support.

They laugh at my because I'm different; I laugh at them because they're all the same. 
    naveenrv likes this.
    04-23-15 07:18 PM