People are panicking over the potential sale of BBRY, and that may be justified but probably is not.

Sure, the wrong sale could kill BBRY but the right sale might be just what is needed.

If it gains financial security and if it helps change public opinion, it could reverse the fortunes of the company.

When Apple was at its lowest, MS invested amd probably saved the company.

So, a sale of the company doesn't mean the end of BBRY any more than Skype ceased to exist when MS bought them.

Of course, HP bought Palm and ruined it, so it could go both ways.

Let's just wait and see what happens.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-13 10:02 AM
    Great post while everyone else fears certain doom!

I appreciate this perspective!
    09-05-13 10:25 AM
    Samsung or Rogers

Posted via CB10
    09-05-13 10:27 AM
    Samsung or Rogers

Posted via CB10
    God, how american....

Posted via CB10
    09-05-13 10:29 AM
    09-05-13 10:30 AM

Of course, HP bought Palm and ruined it, so it could go both ways.

Let's just wait and see what happens.

Posted via CB10
    *fingers crossed* please not yahoo, please not yahoo

Posted via CB10
    09-05-13 10:32 AM
    God, how american....

Posted via CB10
    I think he's Canadian...
    09-05-13 10:33 AM
    I think he's Canadian...
    It's more about the way to solve, and a bit of trolling the "anti americanism" we see sometimes

Posted via CB10
    09-05-13 10:35 AM
    I think he's Canadian...
    Yeah i am Canadian and why not Rogers buy it out to keep BlackBerry canadian.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-13 10:35 AM
    God, how american....

Posted via CB10
    Rogers is Canadian and Samsung is South Korean, in what way is that American?

My z10 is a Leafs fan
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    09-05-13 10:39 AM
    Yeah i am Canadian and why not Rogers buy it out to keep BlackBerry canadian.

Posted via CB10
    Because it would bring up more issues than it'd solve. BlackBerry needs a strategy that is logic, big and trustworthy without new problems like carrier or brand competition

Posted via CB10
    09-05-13 10:40 AM
    Samsung would just rip the patents and layoff everyone from BlackBerry....

Posted via CB10
    09-05-13 10:50 AM
    Samsung would just rip the patents and layoff everyone from BlackBerry....

Posted via CB10
    Well that might be a good thing.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-13 10:53 AM
    BB10 must live on!

Posted via CB10
    09-05-13 10:54 AM
    Anxiety is 100% justified but panic, perhaps not. The anxiety is twofold: First the talk of takeover. Second, lest we forget, the release of quarterlies is just around the corner. We know that BB will do absolutely everything to forestall the release of bad financial results. SO, if results are poor, expect a bomb of an announcement by the end of the year--instead of early 2014. Also anxiety in part because we may well have committed to an operating system and purchased phones that may never realize their potential. Should any of these go over the edge, then, yes, panic.

Without a doubt BB will be sold/restructured--whether to a private equity concern or absorbed by another public company for cash and stock. With the talk on the street and in the meantime, Corporate sales of BB products will further decline until there is resolution and/or clarity of the BB, and hence BB10, future. (Govt sales will also decline but who's to say how much with the manner in which decisions are now made within the various govt sectors.)

Any sale is likely to kill BBRY as we know it because BB is selling out of distress and not strength. It is only a matter of how the renovation of BB after acquisition is going to leave the company.

Sure, if the Canadian govt, for example, were to subsidize or certain other companies for that matter, the flame would continue to flicker. But this is not a temporary liquidity crisis, quite to the contrary BB has a reasonable cash position. Instead, it is a matter of buying a company without good product sales, and no prospect for good sales given their present management strategy(s).

Remember, or know, that Apple was bailed out ... BTW, the second worst of all deceptions and sell-outs by Jobs and the then Apple culture ... by Gates when he didn't want regulators/JD breathing down his neck. MS wouldn't be allowed to squash (nor buy and kill) Apple at the time. YES, there is no doubt but that Gates saved APPLE albeit another suitor might have kept Apple afloat for a while longer. Needless to say, and a bit coincidental, as inarguably one of the potential purchasers of BB MSFT will not be so kind and definitely won't invest for the sake of keeping BB afloat on its own--as it did with Apple. [Note: And look at Apple today, my how things can change. Keep your friends close, but I guess squashing your enemies is sometimes better than keeping them closer.]

IF BB is purchased by a company that is void of a smart phone product line--whether hard or soft, then BB has a chance to continue with OS10. Stating perhaps the obvious, if BB is purchased by a hardware mfr w/o OS or, less likely, OS provider w/o phone, then the redundant side almost certainly will disappear.

It would be best for a large conglomerate to purchase BB, throw behind it its name and capital, and let the BB10 line continue. Even for this, it is almost certain that most of the present OS10 related strategy would need to be replaced.

The entire HP M/A fiasco was driven entirely by fee hungry investment bankers (okay) that knew little about the synergy of HP culture with many of the acquisitions and even less about market recognition of the HP name (not okay).
    09-05-13 10:55 AM
    Well that might be a good thing.

Posted via CB10
    And that would mean BlackBerry 10 and BBM would be nonexistent...

Posted via CB10
    09-05-13 10:55 AM
    BB10 must live on!

Posted via CB10
    It will, just not on a BlackBerry device.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-13 10:56 AM
    And that would mean BlackBerry 10 and BBM would be nonexistent...

Posted via CB10
    Oh BBM would still be around.

BB10 would become something else on another companies device.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-13 10:57 AM
    Anxiety is 100% justified but panic, perhaps not. The anxiety is twofold: First the talk of takeover. Second, lest we forget, the release of quarterlies is just around the corner. We know that BB will do absolutely everything to forestall the release of bad financial results. SO, if results are poor, expect a bomb of an announcement by the end of the year--instead of early 2014. Also anxiety in part because we may well have committed to an operating system and purchased phones that may never realize their potential. Should any of these go over the edge, then, yes, panic.

Without a doubt BB will be sold/restructured--whether to a private equity concern or absorbed by another public company for cash and stock. With the talk on the street and in the meantime, Corporate sales of BB products will further decline until there is resolution and/or clarity of the BB, and hence BB10, future. (Govt sales will also decline but who's to say how much with the manner in which decisions are now made within the various govt sectors.)

Any sale is likely to kill BBRY as we know it because BB is selling out of distress and not strength. It is only a matter of how the renovation of BB after acquisition is going to leave the company.

Sure, if the Canadian govt, for example, were to subsidize or certain other companies for that matter, the flame would continue to flicker. But this is not a temporary liquidity crisis, quite to the contrary BB has a reasonable cash position. Instead, it is a matter of buying a company without good product sales, and no prospect for good sales given their present management strategy(s).

Remember, or know, that Apple was bailed out ... BTW, the second worst of all deceptions and sell-outs by Jobs and the then Apple culture ... by Gates when he didn't want regulators/JD breathing down his neck. MS wouldn't be allowed to squash (nor buy and kill) Apple at the time. YES, there is no doubt but that Gates saved APPLE albeit another suitor might have kept Apple afloat for a while longer. Needless to say, and a bit coincidental, as inarguably one of the potential purchasers of BB MSFT will not be so kind and definitely won't invest for the sake of keeping BB afloat on its own--as it did with Apple. [Note: And look at Apple today, my how things can change. Keep your friends close, but I guess squashing your enemies is sometimes better than keeping them closer.]

IF BB is purchased by a company that is void of a smart phone product line--whether hard or soft, then BB has a chance to continue with OS10. Stating perhaps the obvious, if BB is purchased by a hardware mfr w/o OS or, less likely, OS provider w/o phone, then the redundant side almost certainly will disappear.

It would be best for a large conglomerate to purchase BB, throw behind it its name and capital, and let the BB10 line continue. Even for this, it is almost certain that most of the present OS10 related strategy would need to be replaced.

The entire HP M/A fiasco was driven entirely by fee hungry investment bankers (okay) that knew little about the synergy of HP culture with many of the acquisitions and even less about market recognition of the HP name (not okay).
    I really like the clarity of your post but i think saying Gates saved apple is a bit over the top. If i'm not mistaken the amount of cash used to buy non voting apple stock that MS owned was by no means a huge percent of their (apple's) value at the time. I think MS also got some rights to patents and thus allowed for IP sharing...just a thought. But I do think Gates played a big role in Apple's long term viability as a competitor by licensing MS office to apple and creating a compatible suite...but that's more of an assumption.
    09-05-13 11:06 AM
    Your points on Apple/Gates are well taken. I might enjoy a little side-bar discussion (off this BB oriented site) where we could get into details.

You may have noted my handle: I am very conversant on the Gates-Jobs/Apple history.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by M65c02; 09-11-13 at 09:56 AM.
    09-11-13 09:38 AM