I have been reading many posts out there claiming that John Chen doesn't deserve to be CEO of this company or he is doing a terrible job. I just want to point out that since his appointment blackberry is doing better and every move he took has brought every industry blackberry is in into some form of profit excluding the phone business. John Chen wasnt the reason bb phone businesse or bb10 never lived up to its expectations, he inherited an unenviable situation. Given the circumstances i feel he did well introducing great bb10 devices like the classic and passport, provide a great deal with foxcon to produce cell phones, and provide customers with the first secure bb10 device. I really think we owe him a thank you and we should stand behind him if we really want to continue using bb devices in the future. If bb fans feel like we should be outselling android devices and iphones they r currently being really unrealistic. We have a poor market share and should focus on first allowing the company to make a profit, then we could worry about growth.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    tinochiko and gugomat like this.
    11-08-15 04:05 PM
    Thank You John Chen...lol
    Doggerz likes this.
    11-08-15 04:18 PM
    I have been reading many posts out there claiming that John Chen doesn't deserve to be CEO of this company or he is doing a terrible job. I just want to point out that since his appointment blackberry is doing better
    Are you on crack ? Chen has been a pitiful disaster for BlackBerry ever since he was appointed CEO. All he's done is wield a big axe through the core of the company and throw some dog crap on the wall in a desperate attempt to see if it will stick. Company earnings are still consistently negative and the stock price continues to fall. Hardly adding value is he ? As a shareholder I would be mighty pissed off with him and the pathetic excuse of directors that are supposed to be representing the owners interests.
    11-08-15 08:04 PM
    Stocks go up and down. A couple years ago i remember things being so bad the stock was in the high 4$ to low 5$ range. There was talk of even taking the company private. I definitely think he's doing better than Heinz. With time his stategy might turn the company around. I dont think he's perfect and i definitely think blackberry markets no where near as much as they should be. But i also feel that the conpany os not juat going to vanish anymore.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-08-15 08:45 PM
    People forget that perception takes time, an aweful lot of time to turn around. Take GM as an example. After the muscle car era, they rested on their laurels and went far down in quality. Only the faithful bought GM. Despite how you may feel about them today, I don't think there's many out there that can dispute that their 'initial quality' has gone up. That took though, 25+ or more years to accomplish through advertising, testing events, discounts, promises, etc.

Posted via CB10
    pdizzle27 likes this.
    11-09-15 08:10 AM
    i honestly think he has done the best he could with the situation the fact that the moment he walked in the door and they where a billion dollar cash burn to neutral now that takes alot of work. the other thing is BB10 was doomed to fail from the start as much as i love it and use it i honestly am happy for the priv. i can tech hack my way to making BB10 work but i'm sick of doing so i want a device that "just works" in the words of a normal consumer.

Honestly hearing him talk i think he was the perfect person for the job and i love the way he throws jokes around all the time about the other fruit company never gives a name as he says its free advertisement for them. if he handled the marketing properly for the priv i see this as a solid device i have heard alot of people look at it with new eyes now that it has android vs o its just another BlackBerry.

Edit: forgot to note as well what company that is "dead" acquires 5 companies in the 2 years hes been there to help position them as a proper enterprise software company.
    11-09-15 05:57 PM
    BlackBerry died the day they released an android phone. They are just another google vendor at this point.
    11-10-15 02:38 PM
    An image speaks better than a thousand words.

Respect for John Chen-img_20151110_161921.png

Posted via CB10
    11-10-15 02:55 PM
    Um, the passport and classic were in the pipeline before Chen ever arrived, I'm thinking the Foxconn deal was already in place also.

I could be remembering wrong too.
    Q10Bold likes this.
    11-10-15 03:07 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151110_161921.png 
Views:	2693 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	379929

Posted via CB10
    Does this mean that Mike Lazaridis and Thorsten Heins destroyed BlackBerry ?
    11-10-15 03:55 PM
    Mike Lazaridis destroyed BB. I've said this many times. Sure, he wasn't around for the worst times, but he's the one who put BB on the path to destruction. Heins and Chen both inherited horrible situations where their choices were mostly "bad" and "worse". Mike is the one who had the opportunity to be a leader of the Smartphone v2.0 revolution that the iPhone ushered in, but completely squandered that opportunity. Mike was still playing checkers while Apple and Google had moved on to 3D Star Trek chess. Engineers tend not to be fantastic business leaders...
    11-10-15 09:02 PM
    If Chen can't get his wife to switch to a BlackBerry from a Samsung now, well ... he should probably step down and resign in shame.
    11-10-15 10:54 PM
    If Chen can't get his wife to switch to a BlackBerry from a Samsung now, well ... he should probably step down and resign in shame.
    Probably the most pointless comment in this thread. Let his wife use whatever she wants to use.
    11-10-15 11:03 PM
    You've got to be kidding OP.

Chen has had the best opportunity of any BlackBerry CEO in years... and he has blown it on every front.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-15 11:28 PM

Posted via CB10
    Lol sure except Chen took over in 2013 so it's been stable on that side.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-15 11:52 PM
    Guys best opportunity out of any CEO? The guy took a company hemorrhaging money and was able to make it profitable. That chart posted shows that in the past 2 years since Chen came in the stock value has been stable. BB is still a publicly traded company. Phones r still released on a consistent basis. The guy is doing good.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    11-11-15 04:25 PM
    Does this mean that Mike Lazaridis and Thorsten Heins destroyed BlackBerry ?
    Yep, and chen is doing his part also.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-15 08:20 PM
    Lol sure except Chen took over in 2013 so it's been stable on that side.

Posted via CB10
    Not exactly if you look closely, besides, exponentialy the drops have been huge (it is not the same to lose $1 from a value of $100 than losing that same buck from a value of $10) remember that stock figures are exponential.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-15 08:25 PM
    Guys best opportunity out of any CEO? The guy took a company hemorrhaging money and was able to make it profitable. That chart posted shows that in the past 2 years since Chen came in the stock value has been stable. BB is still a publicly traded company. Phones r still released on a consistent basis. The guy is doing good.
    I fully agree, chen is a very smart guy, in this situation he is going to win no matter what, if BlackBerry sinks MORE everybody will say "the company was sinking already", if BlackBerry raises then everybody will say "he is a hero". Very well played!!

Posted via CB10
    11-11-15 08:29 PM
    So I work for a very large multi-national. I was recently in our global strategy meeting for IT; basically the whole company mobility strategy was based on BES for years but our 2 most senior IT guys (CIO and VP IT architecture) are not BlackBerry fans and canned the agreement in 2013. (One is an IOS and 1 is a droid fan I might add!)
    Their reasons were:
    - to be able to move to a 'any device goes' and BYOD option we moved to Good.com (a containerised app policy)
    - to be able to only focus on an app architecture and app security (and not need to worry about hardware security)
    With this strategy in mind, having restructured the IT teams and strategy accordingly, they have gone full circle and found that BlackBerry is the only provider that can support this strategy on our scale! So we are going back to BES and will be doing a much bigger deal with them.

So IMO Chen has absolutely nailed the enterprise market and will be the clear market leader, which is what he set out to do, kudos. It's an example of a company not trying to be 'all things to all men' (people) but focusing on what they are good at and what can generate a profit.

The mass market for mobiles from a retail consumer stand point is not profitable (ask Sony, LG, Nokia...) unless you focus 100% on it like apple have. Unfortunately BB10 does not appeal to mass markets and neither does PKB, which are BB's only real differentiators, so as much I / we love them, Chen has done the right moves really.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-15 02:56 AM
    So I work for a very large multi-national. I was recently in our global strategy meeting for IT; basically the whole company mobility strategy was based on BES for years but our 2 most senior IT guys (CIO and VP IT architecture) are not BlackBerry fans and canned the agreement in 2013. (One is an IOS and 1 is a droid fan I might add!)
    Their reasons were:
    - to be able to move to a 'any device goes' and BYOD option we moved to Good.com (a containerised app policy)
    - to be able to only focus on an app architecture and app security (and not need to worry about hardware security)
    With this strategy in mind, having restructured the IT teams and strategy accordingly, they have gone full circle and found that BlackBerry is the only provider that can support this strategy on our scale! So we are going back to BES and will be doing a much bigger deal with them.

So IMO Chen has absolutely nailed the enterprise market and will be the clear market leader, which is what he set out to do, kudos. It's an example of a company not trying to be 'all things to all men' (people) but focusing on what they are good at and what can generate a profit.

The mass market for mobiles from a retail consumer stand point is not profitable (ask Sony, LG, Nokia...) unless you focus 100% on it like apple have. Unfortunately BB10 does not appeal to mass markets and neither does PKB, which are BB's only real differentiators, so as much I / we love them, Chen has done the right moves really.

Posted via CB10
    Our Head of IT will bust your balls if you ask him why we don't have iPhones.
    11-12-15 10:47 AM
    Not exactly if you look closely, besides, exponentialy the drops have been huge (it is not the same to lose $1 from a value of $100 than losing that same buck from a value of $10) remember that stock figures are exponential.

Posted via CB10
    understood, but when Chen took over stock was at its lowest point over the last 5 years. so considering its not at that point all he has been doing is obviously helping.
    11-13-15 03:54 PM
    understood, but when Chen took over stock was at its lowest point over the last 5 years. so considering its not at that point all he has been doing is obviously helping.
    No it wasn't... it was at its lowest just a few months ago after Chen's poor performance. And it will be low again after the consequences of this disaster called the Priv rollout become realized.

Posted via CB10
    jsmith00075 and acovey like this.
    11-13-15 07:42 PM
    You've got to be kidding OP.

Chen has had the best opportunity of any BlackBerry CEO in years... and he has blown it on every front.

Posted via CB10
    Explain why, specifically in company business terms.
    11-14-15 08:17 AM

Posted via CB10
    Considering Chen took over near the end of 2013 (November IIRC), it looks like to me Blackberry has largely held steady during his tenure and fell dramatically during the Lazaridis/Balsillie era and also fell more moderately in 2013 during the Heins era after BB10 was introduced and largely not adopted by most businesses and consumers.

Keep in mind as a Canadian company Blackberry is actually doing better stock-wise right now in Canadian dollars than it was in 2013 because the U.S. dollar is strong in late 2015 relative to the Canadian dollar.
    anon(2313227) likes this.
    11-14-15 08:25 AM
83 123 ...