With QNX-7 now supporting the SnapDragon for cellular communications in the Land Rover Defender how much more needs to be rewritten? You have NO development experience yet I am supposed to believe what you wrote above? From where did you learn that BB10 needs to be completely rewritten for new hardware? Because Conite said so, you are parroting what he said?
    You think because QNX has a driver for a 820 SoC (whose supported feature set we aren't even aware) that the job is almost done?

And yes, as we have discussed ad infinitum, QNX makes up less than 5% of the BB10 code. You can't just swap in QNX-7 over QNX-6.5 (forked) without massive reworking. Updating the Android Runtime is also a monumental undertaking.

Based on our own knowledge of development, and by extrapolating on development data from BlackBerry's own history with BB10, we have provided you with the best answers we can.

Being your hypothesis that this is all academic and inexpensive, the onus is on YOU to provide compelling evidence - not just to spew technical jargon that you read in a few brochures.
    Last edited by conite; 05-08-20 at 11:14 AM.
    05-08-20 10:56 AM
    With QNX-7 now supporting the SnapDragon for cellular communications in the Land Rover Defender how much more needs to be rewritten? You have NO development experience yet I am supposed to believe what you wrote above? From where did you learn that BB10 needs to be completely rewritten for new hardware? Because Conite said so, you are parroting what he said?
    I'm parroting those who have more experience in this area than me... yes.

I have nothing from you to believe you have any more experience. So far, you still haven't told us your experience.
    05-08-20 11:33 AM
    Let me take an educated guess. Former BlackBerry employee that was part of the BB10 development team. After BlackBerry went and purchased QNX, spent three years of life with long hours involved only to have the project fail and were unceremoniously laid off with thousands of fellow associates. Just can't believe all those hours can never be regained
    05-08-20 11:51 AM
    Let me take an educated guess. Former BlackBerry employee that was part of the BB10 development team. After BlackBerry went and purchased QNX, spent three years of life with long hours involved only to have the project fail and were unceremoniously laid off with thousands of fellow associates. Just can't believe all those hours can never be regained
    Are you the former employee? Or is your writing hearsay from said former employee?
    05-08-20 12:16 PM
    I'm parroting those who have more experience in this area than me... yes.

I have nothing from you to believe you have any more experience. So far, you still haven't told us your experience.
    Why should you believe what I write about my experience. You should judge the credibility of what I write.
    05-08-20 12:18 PM
    Are you the former employee? Or hearsay from said former employee?
    I've already told you my background and experience. It's ok to admit complete lack of technical knowledge whatsoever.
    05-08-20 12:19 PM
    Why should you believe what I write about my experience. You should judge the credibility of what I write.
    That's been the problem lacking the entire time. We can't get past 2010-2013 basic sales brochure and press release commentary
    05-08-20 12:21 PM
    I've already told you my background and experience. It's ok to admit complete lack of technical knowledge whatsoever.
    The "educated guess" is what through me off. What did you work on?
    05-08-20 12:23 PM
    The "educated guess" is what through me off. What did you work on?
    I've asked before and you ignored. What is your industry background and experience that
    allows you to understand how you feel this could all be done and everyone here is failing to understand?

I am involved with the capital markets but from primarily a retail perspective. Wholesale and institutional managers though have an interest that precedes the retail investors. Why can't you put together some basic numbers for us to understand? Don't you think BlackBerry Limited did all this back in 2012-2014 when in a major tailspin?
    Here was just one time where I stated what I do...
    05-08-20 12:32 PM
    Here was just one time where I stated what I do...
    So, you haven't been involved with hardware (technology) startups?
    05-08-20 01:02 PM
    So, you haven't been involved with hardware startups?
    I've been involved with several different software and hardware startups in capital raises including at IPO phase. That's why I have asked you several times for some basic numbers since from every direction I've approached, this project has ZERO economic feasibility.
    05-08-20 01:05 PM
    I've been involved with several different software and hardware startups in capital raises including at IPO phase. That's why I have asked you several times for some basic numbers since from every direction I've approached, this project has ZERO economic feasibility.
    I don't have your background. So, I can't give you reliable numbers. What have you learned from the hardware companies you helped finance regarding the costs of hardware and software integrations? Where to the majority of costs lie? What everyone here has uniformly believed is that each product is siloed and aspects of other products can't be applied to other products. That everything has to be built anew. This claim has not been substantiated and the contrary would have a positive impact on the bottom line. Correct?
    Last edited by DonHB; 05-08-20 at 01:19 PM.
    05-08-20 01:08 PM
    I find the end result of what you wish to accomplish an intriguing idea. Your suggested path to get there is what's not credible. Several members who do have development experience have said so throughout this thread, yet you keep repeating the same idea.

So, yes, your experience in development will help us understand why you think this won't take millions of dollars and thousands of developers to get to the eventual goal of bringing BB10 back.

Still waiting on the answer.

By the way, full disclosure, I'm an Architect, licensed in the state of Louisiana.
    05-08-20 01:21 PM
    I don't have your background. So, I can't give you reliable numbers. What have you learned from the hardware companies you helped finance regarding the costs of hardware and software integrations?
    That BlackBerry Limited spent billions to buildout the BB10 platform on the software end compared with BBOS years before since the ecosystem had to support larger app environment and more complicated hardware while processing far more enormous amounts of data over 3G and later technology. Due to far different environments and requirements, the components to manufacture are far more complex and the man hours for just software maintenance is tremendous.

BlackBerry spent three years development time just to build out BB10 on top of QNX at time and that was one year overdue and still needed another year to be production ready after initial release.

So now everyone here can agree with earlier previous educated guess since there's been no refutation or dispute?
    05-08-20 01:24 PM
    I don't have your background. So, I can't give you reliable numbers. What have you learned from the hardware companies you helped finance regarding the costs of hardware and software integrations? Where to the majority of costs lie? What everyone here has uniformly believed is that each product is siloed and aspects of other products can't be applied to other products. That everything has to be built anew. This claim has not been substantiated and the contrary would have a positive impact on the bottom line. Correct?
    INCORRECT
    05-08-20 01:29 PM
    INCORRECT
    Can you elaborate? This is were the discussion goes silent.
    05-08-20 01:33 PM
    Can you elaborate? This is were the discussion goes silent.
    Even if nothing is built anew, using BB10, it would have required spending about $100 million USD to maintain per year just from a software perspective. Annual maintenance costs of 10% of development costs per year is across various industries. Since BB10 hasn't been actively maintained for 3-4 years and really wasn't actively devsloped for two years previous, $100 million USD is ultra-conservative.
    05-08-20 01:41 PM
    Even if nothing is built anew, using BB10, it would have required spending about $100 million USD to maintain per year just from a software perspective. Annual maintenance costs of 10% of development costs per year is across various industries. Since BB10 hasn't been actively maintained for 3-4 years and really wasn't actively devsloped for two years previous, $100 million USD is ultra-conservative.
    Your are still viewing this as a siloed product. QNX is used in other products and the "maintenance" costs can be distributed across product lines. Please explain, finally, what this is not true.
    05-08-20 01:46 PM
    That BlackBerry Limited spent billions to buildout the BB10 platform on the software end compared with BBOS years before since the ecosystem had to support larger app environment and more complicated hardware while processing far more enormous amounts of data over 3G and later technology. Due to far different environments and requirements, the components to manufacture are far more complex and the man hours for just software maintenance is tremendous.

BlackBerry spent three years development time just to build out BB10 on top of QNX at time and that was one year overdue and still needed another year to be production ready after initial release.

So now everyone here can agree with earlier previous educated guess since there's been no refutation or dispute?
    If a multi-billion USD investment could be saved for redeployed for $10 million USD or $100 million USD. it would already have been implemented. The facts are either the cost is to
    too great, the sales too small or most likely, both.
    05-08-20 01:46 PM
    If a multi-billion USD investment could be saved for redeployed for $10 million USD or $100 million USD. it would already have been implemented. The facts are either the cost is to
    too great, the sales too small or most likely, both.
    Your argument has been presented many times. Still, no one has been able to address the question regarding spreading costs among product lines. As expected; generalities with no details.
    05-08-20 02:09 PM
    Your argument has been presented many times. Still, no one has been able to address the question regarding spreading costs among product lines. As expected; generalities with no details.
    Spreading what costs? QNX is a tiny component of BB10 - under 5%.

You've got QNX 7 for free. Now what are you going to do?

Last time around, BB10 got QNX 6.5 for free, then went on to spend billions of dollars on software development.
    app_Developer likes this.
    05-08-20 02:15 PM
    Spreading what costs? QNX is a tiny component of BB10 - under 5%.

You've got QNX 7 for free. Now what are you going to do?

Last time around, BB10 got QNX 6.5 for free, then went on to spend billions of dollars on software development.
    QNX at that time did not have cellular support, power management or system apps. These are just three examples. At that time QNX was not "for free".
    05-08-20 02:24 PM
    QNX at that time did not have cellular support, power management or system apps. These are just three examples. At that time QNX was not "for free".
    It's got some of that stuff for very specific embedded applications, sure. So what? It's STILL only 5% of the code.

And yes, BB10 got QNX for free - not that BlackBerry did.
    05-08-20 02:30 PM
    It's got some of that stuff for very specific embedded applications, sure. So what? It's STILL only 5% of the code.
    OK. Can you break down the remaining 95%?
    05-08-20 02:36 PM
    OK. Can you break down the remaining 95%?
    You're free to review it yourself. It's readily available.
    05-08-20 02:37 PM
787 ... 2728293031 ...