I wonder if this will have any impact on anything BB. It is a dual-boot Linux/Android device. While it's huge and, IMHO, kludgy, it might be a success.
    https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/09/...ke-on-the-pda/
    What do you think?
    nevilleadaniels likes this.
    01-09-18 07:25 PM
    its not going to get Google approval due to dual boot, so no.
    01-09-18 07:48 PM
    01-09-18 08:37 PM
    I backed them on IndieGoGo a month ago. :X
    01-09-18 10:33 PM
    I backed them on IndieGoGo a month ago. :X
    One can still buy at the introductory prices o their website

Posted via CB10
    01-10-18 11:25 AM
    Ooooh I'd love to have one of those!

Only thing that I don't like is that it doesn't fully reverse-fold for phone use. I'd imagine it would be clunky for phone calls without a headset.
    01-10-18 12:02 PM
    its not going to get Google approval due to dual boot, so no.
    I wonder if they can get by the OHA rules because the other OS isn't a mobile OS and thus not an Android competitor. The specs say "powered by the latest Android OS, supporting all your favourite applications."
    01-10-18 12:05 PM
    I recall these back in those days.. not very useful other than emails back then. Hp made one, i think i had that and another. There was even companion one to BB... Red something. may still have it in the closet somewhere.
    01-10-18 12:44 PM
    I wonder if they can get by the OHA rules because the other OS isn't a mobile OS and thus not an Android competitor. The specs say "powered by the latest Android OS, supporting all your favourite applications."
    Maybe, or maybe it's creative advertising....

I've seen a number of dual boot devices, more Windows than Linux.... but it's always an older version of Android or even a forked version that has been optimized for Tablets.

Palm coming back, PDAs coming back, BlackBerry with the KEYone and two new PKB devices.... might be the year Apple invents the keyboard.
    gizmo21 and ominaxe like this.
    01-10-18 01:14 PM
    there have been dual boot tablets (Android/Windows) out of China but again not Google approved. This is such a niche device anyway, they could probably just put the F-droid app on it plus any bloat apps for which devs authorize and call it a day.
    01-10-18 02:01 PM
    Nope, if I knew that was the Gemini I wouldn't have clicked the link. No wonder that company died off...they are putting a 10-Finger Keyboard for a 2-Thumb Device...they have no innovation what so ever.

They went bigger keys cause of the screen vs Ergonamical like the LG Doubleplay or Soft Keyboards for Tablets that split the keyboard
    05-15-19 12:54 AM
    Palm coming back, PDAs coming back, BlackBerry with the KEYone and two new PKB devices.... might be the year Apple invents the keyboard.
    :-) That would be awesome, especially if they reinvented the headphone jack in the same device. I'd love to see a BlackBerry keyboard on an Apple phone blow away the BlackBerry Android sales numbers!

Posted with my trusty Z10
    nevilleadaniels likes this.
    05-15-19 06:27 AM
    :-) That would be awesome, especially if they reinvented the headphone jack in the same device. I'd love to see a BlackBerry keyboard on an Apple phone blow away the BlackBerry Android sales numbers!

It's been a year since that post....

Palm's come back was a tiny SLAB accessory.
    KEY2's didn't get even the support the KEYone did
    At best after launching two new devices in multiple colors they only increased their unknown sales by 10%
    TCL has "said" they are extended the product update cycle to... longer.
    Samsung has ended PKB accessories...

I'm thinking those PDA "projects" are the future for PKB's in general.
    05-15-19 07:43 AM
    It's been a year since that post....

Palm's come back was a tiny SLAB accessory.
    KEY2's didn't get even the support the KEYone did
    At best after launching two new devices in multiple colors they only increased their unknown sales by 10%
    TCL has "said" they are extended the product update cycle to... longer.
    Samsung has ended PKB accessories...

I'm thinking those PDA "projects" are the future for PKB's in general.
    As someone who is equally at home with a good VKB or PKB, I don't have a dog in this hunt. To the extent I care about BlackBerry on mobile it's about the importance of locking down Android and empowering users to monitor their privacy and security.

I don't particularly trust BBMo to care about that, but I do suspect BlackBerry's implementation of the Android security model is still better than other OEMs for a stand-alone phone without an EMM solution like Knox. But even if BlackBerry is still ahead in that regard, I don't see a way forward for them to sustain that advantage without more BlackBerry Secure partners.

So, I'm left with the KEY phones, which offer a form factor I don't love (too big), using a PKB about which I'm neutral, running an OS I don't love (Android) , with core security controls I appreciate, but which lacks a three-year commitment to security patches that I consider an absolute minimum.

The only devices I like less than the KEY phones are all the other Android phones and the iPhone! I'm less unhappy with BlackBerry Mobile than I would be with any of the competition!

05-15-19 12:00 PM

Apple is testing Keyboards. But then they have tested over 100 different keyboard devices with iOS in the last 10 years.

They haven't come to market because apple still likes perfection
    06-12-19 12:07 PM
    Apple is testing Keyboards. But then they have tested over 100 different keyboard devices with iOS in the last 10 years.

They haven't come to market because apple still likes perfection
    When has Apple made a keyboard accessory that actually attaches itself to the iPhone itself?

Hint: They didnt, but Ryan Seacrest did lol
    06-12-19 04:46 PM
    When has Apple made a keyboard accessory that actually attaches itself to the iPhone itself?

Hint: They didnt, but Ryan Seacrest did lol
    From Apple itself there is the "magic keyboard" that you can buy in the Apple Stores or online
    06-13-19 06:09 AM
    From Apple itself there is the "magic keyboard" that you can buy in the Apple Stores or online
    Right, but that's a desktop-sized keyboard that you have to have a flat surface put it on and a stand for the iPhone. I was talking about something like the Typo keyboard cases that got sued by BlackBerry ltd
    06-13-19 10:02 AM