I think it's genius. That's how BlackBerry should be separating themselves from the crowd. Design and polish.
    Not at that extreme mind you as far as $2000 plus goes . But a z30, z50 or q30 with high end materials and design would be a perfect niche for BlackBerry.
    Phones for the successful business man, the rich crowd and the blackberry loyalists.
    It's better than getting out of the hardware business altogether. A chance to upgrade their status in the public eye.
    is this the way they should go?
    How much would you pay for a blackberry such as this?

I know I'd be in for the $900 to $1200 range

Posted via CB10
    11-21-13 03:55 PM
    I'd pay the same for any recently released BlackBerry device.

That usually is around $500-600, right? Sorry, vanity devices are not for me.
    11-21-13 04:00 PM
    Were BlackBerry to move to this type of device as you are suggesting you can be certain that it will be the death of the company. There is no way that BlackBerry or any of it's competition can make a device such as the Porsche design and rely on it as an everyday seller. It would be priced way out of the reach of your general customers. I know for certain there is no way anyone can convince me that paying close to half my monthly mortgage for a cellphone, ANY cellphone, is a good idea.
    diegonei likes this.
    11-21-13 04:20 PM
    Were BlackBerry to move to this type of device as you are suggesting you can be certain that it will be the death of the company. There is no way that BlackBerry or any of it's competition can make a device such as the Porsche design and rely on it as an everyday seller. It would be priced way out of the reach of your general customers. I know for certain there is no way anyone can convince me that paying close to half my monthly mortgage for a cellphone, ANY cellphone, is a good idea.
    Exactly. If you ask me, they'd be better off with a proper Z5 to fight of the Lumias and cheap Androids, but eh, do they ever listen to me?..
    11-21-13 04:32 PM
    blackberry no longer has the economy of scale to compete on the low end or against the flag ship phones of apple, samsung, htc, or windows phones for that matter.

If they separated themselves by being the phone of choice of the visible minority, the successful business man, the professional athletes and the vocal hard core bb fans, they could build their brand again.

Or farm out their hardware production.

You people are delusional if you think blackberry is gonna have a hit on their hands when carriers are dropping their products.
    11-21-13 06:21 PM
    Honestly I don't even think the newest porsche design phone looks good at all imo
    BroncoVAL likes this.
    11-21-13 06:22 PM
    But aren't the class you list are already the owners of BB's.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-13 06:26 PM
    Honestly I don't even think the newest porsche design phone looks good at all imo
    Oh it is ok. Not half as hideous as the original.

And 64GB internal memory. Now that is a premium...
    11-21-13 06:29 PM
    The New & Exclusive Porsche Design P'9982 smartphone from BlackBerry - YouTube

Look at how the phone is presented even if you don't like this particular design.

Blackberry no longer has the distribution or the product placement in stores. It's hard to fight that once momentum is against you.

So you advertise like this and sell at high end stores and online. like apple did to turn around their product perception.
    l
    11-21-13 07:21 PM
    it's quite simple. Ask yourself, how much are they making on their hardware now?

What model have they priced correctly?

This works perfectly into there model. They like to overprice the crap out of their hardware. You can't make blackberry go against their nature, so this gives them an excuse to do so. They can't build a killer phone, that sells 10's of millions, so they can demand lower component costs from manufacturers. This would also cut down on warehousing costs for all their unsold product.

i'm not saying make a $2400 smart phone. i'm talking up to $1200. I'm sure they could sell 250k a month all at a profit.

Rely on their other divisions until they can increase the demand for their hardware
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    11-22-13 10:49 AM
    11-22-13 11:34 AM
    I like the phone...those who can afford will buy it especially in Dubai where they have lot of money and big fan BlackBerry fan following.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-13 11:47 AM
    blackberry no longer has the economy of scale to compete on the low end or against the flag ship phones of apple, samsung, htc, or windows phones for that matter.

If they separated themselves by being the phone of choice of the visible minority, the successful business man, the professional athletes and the vocal hard core bb fans, they could build their brand again.
    Do you know any successful business men? If not take a walk around any business district in a major city. They don't carry $2000 phones nor will they. Thats why they are successful.

They carry a company issued Blackberry and an iPhone in their back pocket.

Don't take my word. Go see for yourself.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 11-22-13 at 11:44 PM.
    richardat likes this.
    11-22-13 11:33 PM
    Do you know any successful business men?

If not take a walk around any business district in a major city. They don't carry $2000 phones nor will they. Thats why they're successful.

They carry a company issued Blackberry and an iPhone in their back pocket.

Don't take my word. Go see for yourself.
    It just won't work....at the end of the day, a phone isn't jewelry....it's a functional - for many people a critically functional - item. Just trying to make your phone blingy isn't enough if it lacks the functionality. Put another way OP, do you think Apple, even with all it's cachet, could make an even higher end iphone, sell it for an extraordinary price, (bear in mind, some people have paid a thousand for a REGULAR iphone ;-) and get enough takers to sustain even a small completely independent company IF that iphone could not run many of the standard iphone apps?? Now how about if that phone came from a company synonymous with failure, old tech, or low quality? How about a 2000$ polaroid phone with limited apps? Hey they hired Lady Gaga as their creative director....that beats Alicia Keyes hands down! How about a 2000$ Pandigital phone?

I don't think your idea is terrible OP if BB still had any kind of positive reputation to cling to. It might be possible for the right manufacturer to do this with an android phone, and maintain a very small company.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    11-22-13 11:56 PM
    It just won't work....at the end of the day, a phone isn't jewelry....it's a functional - for many people a critically functional - item. Just trying to make your phone blingy isn't enough if it lacks the functionality. Put another way OP, do you think Apple, even with all it's cachet, could make an even higher end iphone, sell it for an extraordinary price, (bear in mind, some people have paid a thousand for a REGULAR iphone ;-) and get enough takers to sustain even a small completely independent company IF that iphone could not run many of the standard iphone apps?? Now how about if that phone came from a company synonymous with failure, old tech, or low quality? How about a 2000$ polaroid phone with limited apps? Hey they hired Lady Gaga as their creative director....that beats Alicia Keyes hands down! How about a 2000$ Pandigital phone?

I don't think your idea is terrible OP if BB still had any kind of positive reputation to cling to. It might be possible for the right manufacturer to do this with an android phone, and maintain a very small company.
    I'm not talking about making a phone blingy, but, refined, yes. Exclusive. Yes.
    BlackBerry apps that sell for $20- $500 created by the best in the business. No bloat ware, everything functions and looks polished.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-13 08:41 AM
    I think it's genius. That's how BlackBerry should be separating themselves from the crowd. Design and polish.
    Not at that extreme mind you as far as $2000 plus goes . But a z30, z50 or q30 with high end materials and design would be a perfect niche for BlackBerry.
    Phones for the successful business man, the rich crowd and the blackberry loyalists.
    It's better than getting out of the hardware business altogether. A chance to upgrade their status in the public eye.
    is this the way they should go?
    How much would you pay for a blackberry such as this?

I know I'd be in for the $900 to $1200 range

Posted via CB10
    Vertu already has this covered...
    11-23-13 08:53 AM
    Vertu already has this covered...
    Sure they do.

Like it or not, do to their success with the Porche designed smartphone BlackBerry already sees this direction as their pro-sumer market. Time will tell, but you will see a lot more efforts by BlackBerry in this direction.
    Read the writing on the wall.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-13 11:53 AM
    Reg price of Zed10. No one would notice any difference, but CB folks.
    11-23-13 05:19 PM
    Sure they do.

Like it or not, do to their success with the Porche designed smartphone BlackBerry already sees this direction as their pro-sumer market. Time will tell, but you will see a lot more efforts by BlackBerry in this direction.
    Read the writing on the wall.

Posted via CB10
    what success??? how many have been sold???
    11-24-13 03:02 PM
    what success??? how many have been sold???
    Check out my link above. Over 130,000. That's the 9981 version . At the price they are sold at that is a lot of phones.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 03:31 PM
    Check out my link above. Over 130,000. That's the 9981 version . At the price they are sold at that is a lot of phones.

Posted via CB10
    that's not success,,, even @ a grand apiece, that's nothing,,, BB spends that much on plane fuel before breakfast on a single day...
    11-24-13 06:05 PM
    i'm not saying make a $2400 smart phone. i'm talking up to $1200. I'm sure they could sell 250k a month all at a profit.
    Rely on their other divisions until they can increase the demand for their hardware
    I know what you're saying but a $1200 price point I still think would be a bridge too far. And at that price point 250K per month might be also.
    11-24-13 06:57 PM
    that's not success,,, even @ a grand apiece, that's nothing,,, BB spends that much on plane fuel before breakfast on a single day...
    They were sold for well over $2000 a piece. let's say they only make $400 per. Now compare that to the losses on the bb10 phones.
    You would still invest in BlackBerry to follow that same path hoping this time they will get the screen size right, processing specs, and on top of that get the price right ??? Then the easy part put together a successful advertising campaign that tells gets the message out that hey, wait, we really got it right this time, really. And you can pick one of these devices up from one of the 7 carriers that deal with us ...well, after you order online from them, they don't actually stock them.

Sorry, I'm putting my money building on the Porche success with the crazy $2400 and bargain model at $1200.
    $$$$

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 08:09 PM
    I think you are ignoring the fundamental question of who would be the audience for a BlackBerry priced at that level and how would sell one on a large scale positively affect BlackBerry's position.

Face it the market has become accustomed to pricing at certain levels. The vast majority of cell phone owners purchase them on contract at highly subsidized prices. Even when phones are purchased off contract there are price points that are acceptable to the general public and price points that are not.

Selling the idea of a $1200 BlackBerry on CrackBerry, or an overly expensive Samsung on Android Central, etc might fly but you have to recognize we are NOT the majority of the buying public.
    11-24-13 08:44 PM
    I think you are ignoring the fundamental question of who would be the audience for a BlackBerry priced at that level and how would sell one on a large scale positively affect BlackBerry's position.

Face it the market has become accustomed to pricing at certain levels. The vast majority of cell phone owners purchase them on contract at highly subsidized prices. Even when phones are purchased off contract there are price points that are acceptable to the general public and price points that are not.

Selling the idea of a $1200 BlackBerry on CrackBerry, or an overly expensive Samsung on Android Central, etc might fly but you have to recognize we are NOT the majority of the buying public.
    I don't think you are getting the point. Don't want the masses. Ferrari does ok without selling to everyone.
    BlackBerry is realizing that they can make big profits with an expensive boutique phone.
    Don't worry, they'll still have BBM for the masses. They'll still have corporate phones and services and work with qnx integration for cars etc

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 09:16 PM
37 12