So yeah... if you need quick cash, it's definitely easier to sell a bunch of office buildings.
    Which is exactly what Blackberry did something like a year ago, leasing back the space that they needed. It's always announced a such a great idea freeing up needed capital, etc.

So, why not the valuable patents? Those can be leased, also. I'll bet if Blackberry Chen announces the sale of patents this year most people, here, would consider it a stroke of genius.

BlackBerry Announces Plans to Divest Canadian Real Estate Holdings | CrackBerry.com
    02-06-15 10:30 AM
    So, why not the valuable patents?
    I already told you why. Or is your question just expecting a universal validation with "No there is no reason!" but you've been given reasons, so is this thread done now?

I'm actually not trying to be a d*ck (it's effortless!) but seriously: what's the objective here?

I understand that you think that BB should sell their patent portfolio and do something useful with the cash, but I think it carries with it the implication that they'll abandon the hardware business... I don't think that's wise (if I were CEO) and I think Chen think's it's not YET wise, but time will tell. Give it time and he may indeed decide to get out of hardware and sell the patents, just not yet.

I disagree that most people would consider it a stroke of genius if it means that competitors are free to out-BlackBerry BlackBerry devices in significant ways before the Board has decided to 'get out of hardware'.

BlackBerry can LICENSE the patents for cash, too... maybe just to Samsung, and maybe JUST for an entry-level device ONLY sold in southeast asia for example. If they need revenue, why should BlackBerry SELL the patents that they can themselves license for money?
    02-06-15 10:45 AM
    If the sell patents...they lose any potential edge on any other company..and then the lose the niche market...which is us.

Posted via the pure awesomeness of blackberry.
    02-12-15 05:59 AM
    Not that I know anything about stocks but if BlackBerry did sell those patents, they would lose a significant portion of their markets simply because some of BlackBerry patents is what makes their services work with said hardware. That's the edge that BlackBerry has that others want.

There is a reason why BlackBerry is still viable in the enterprise market and one of those key ingredients is those patents. If you search in these forums, you will see how BlackBerry not only secures it's services but also how the hardware connects to these services. These are the fundamentals of how BlackBerry devices and services work. That's why they are secure in the enterprise. It's a combination of both hardware and software. By selling those patents, BlackBerry but their stock in a really bad position and the only people that would benefit from this would be the shareholders. BlackBerry would sink just as fast as the Titanic did.

Posted via CB10
    02-12-15 06:12 AM
    Not that I know anything about stocks but if BlackBerry did sell those patents, they would lose a significant portion of their markets simply because some of BlackBerry patents is what makes their services work with said hardware. That's the edge that BlackBerry has that others want.

There is a reason why BlackBerry is still viable in the enterprise market and one of those key ingredients is those patents. If you search in these forums, you will see how BlackBerry not only secures it's services but also how the hardware connects to these services. These are the fundamentals of how BlackBerry devices and services work. That's why they are secure in the enterprise. It's a combination of both hardware and software. If BlackBerry were to market sell of their patents, the stock would rise and everyone would start buying so they could profit on the rise of said stock. Once the patents are sold and the stock starts to plummet, then there would be nothing of value that BlackBerry would have as an asset. . BlackBerry would sink just as fast as the Titanic did. Then BlackBerry would have no value at all. The Company closes it's doors or is acquired by another company for whatever crumbs are left. . BlackBerry Would be no more. So who benefits from this? The shareholders are the only ones that would benefit if they sold their shares once the patents are sold before the stock drops.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    02-12-15 06:13 AM
30 12