As I write this we're still a few hours shy of the actual launch event, and maybe it will be an unmitigated disaster. Who knows?

I'll say that up to now, at least, I'm impressed. Back in June, Chen committed to launching the Passport in September and he's doing it. Product isn't just ready to go in a few weeks, it's in stores TODAY. Leaks have dwindled to near non-existent. There is more discipline in the company's execution and its messaging. There's even a decent chance the company will record a profit next quarter.

I keep thinking of the cynics and the nay-sayers. The people who didn't expect to see the company live past the end of 2011, let alone still be here now. The people who assumed that even if the Passport "launched" in September that customers wouldn't actually see units before the end of the year.

I don't know that the Passport will be BlackBerry's "salvation". I don't know if it will be any single product, or just a steady, sustained effort where one day we wake up and wonder "wow, were they really that close to shutting down?". What I do know is that I'm a lot more confident in BlackBerry's prospects now than I was six months ago.
    cjcampbell, Ecm and anischab like this.
    09-24-14 05:59 AM
    well said. I do agree the Chen has done as promised and I am eagerly anticipating this event
    09-24-14 06:04 AM
    I am sure the Passport was already available when Chen presented it in june... However, it has to be produced in masses, so that it does not rapidly run out of stock. Then, may be tactically he has chosen the date deliberately. When you have a product that would have success, you plan the release. It has to be smooth, every thing has to be considered. May be Blend was not ready, or the OS still buggy, but the hardware was surely there. Proof, the seen passports already in use in Canda...
    I am sure it will have success... may be not for every BB-user, but for the targetted users.

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    09-24-14 06:07 AM
    I'm quite impressed too. Some doomsayers I know have also changed their tune saying that John Chen is quite the CEO and surrounding himself with competent people that know how to execute in big business. In fact, they mentioned to me they will consider buying shares in BBRY.

I wonder what wants and needs gathering Chen has done when he was on tour with his enterprise clients. Was the Passport something that looked to resonate with them? I guess we'll see. Chen has said before, a world without BlackBerry is not a better one. He didn't have to but I'm glad he took the reins and now steering them back in the right direction and building stability, confidence and growth.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 08:24 AM
    I see BB stock up 2% on the launch. Unlike the two or three percent that Apple actually lost on iP6 launch day.

(and yes, I know that day-to-day doesn't mean much)
    09-24-14 01:44 PM
    Yes, execution and delivery has definitely improved. "Coming soon (=whenever)" has been replaced with target dates or time frames.

I'm glad they didn't release the OS for current (=old) BB10 devices yet. That way they can improve, bug-test and avoid the iOS 8 "iBrick" desaster that's happening right now, or was before they pulled it...

Also, they're not stretching their resources, worldwide OS upgrade and likely bug fixes together with a 2x device launch might just be too much. Or why risk it and stress, if you can postpone it till the Classic launch and get more real-time perform data from the new 10.3 devices...

Blend will certainly need some bug fixes until BES12 and Classic launch...

? BlackBerry? I premdict the future's gonna be chenomenal! ?
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    09-25-14 09:37 AM
    I'm glad they didn't release the OS for current (=old) BB10 devices yet. That way they can improve, bug-test and avoid the iOS 8 "iBrick" desaster that's happening right now, or was before they pulled it...

Also, they're not stretching their resources, worldwide OS upgrade and likely bug fixes together with a 2x device launch might just be too much. Or why risk it and stress, if you can postpone it till the Classic launch and get more real-time perform data from the new 10.3 devices...
    New Porsche is actually old BB10 device. Its a Q10 with larger storage and fancy exterior. So, 10.3. Fits older devices.

Anyway, nice launch

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 07:16 AM