Anybody else think a Passport type device running BlackBerry android would do quite well?

I think it would

#qwerty #glassweave #darkhorse
    08-19-16 12:33 PM
    Lots of Passport owners also think that....

Maybe one day Android will work on a 1x1 display?
    Maybe one day there might be a return to PKB type devcies?

I think Chen is going to see how well these three devcies sale... especially the more costly one for him the Mercury as it's not just a repurposed existing hardware set.

Chances are pretty good that those will be the last three BlackBerry's. Never mind another expensive custom PKB device that really won't display Android correctly.
    08-19-16 12:41 PM
    Hopefully the dtek50 does well as I can already predict the mercury will not

08-19-16 01:38 PM
    Android can work on a 1:1 screen, but the problem is android app developers can not be bother with building their apps to work with a 1:1 screen .

Posted via CB10
    erhanbb likes this.
    08-27-16 03:01 AM
    Anybody else think a Passport type device running BlackBerry android would do quite well?

I think it would

Android BlackBerries are already doing quite bad.

So there's no reason to create an Android Passport.

Even if BlackBerry10 wasn't profitable for BlackBerry, it sold better than any Blackandroid device so far....

Posted via CB10
    Notna Nosyel likes this.
    09-19-16 06:12 AM
    Android can work on a 1:1 screen, but the problem is android app developers can not be bother with building their apps to work with a 1:1 screen.
    1:1 is not an officially supported screen ratio, and that's the case because there is relatively little interest in that ratio - certainly not enough to require that developers create app layouts for yet another ratio for all of their apps. Not supporting 1:1 is in the best interests of hundreds of thousands of developers. No one else supports 1:1 on their smartphone OS either. Hell, there are native BB apps that don't support 1:1, and don't show up for download on BB10 1:1 devices. If BB's own native developers had issues supporting 1:1, it shouldn't be a surprise that others do.

The bottom line is: that rule isn't likely to change anytime soon, so you aren't going to see any 1:1 Android devices anytime soon either.
    09-19-16 08:14 PM
    Why do you think the Mercury won't do well?

Posted via CB10
    09-23-16 05:46 PM
    What happened to the Kijiji one...? :-)

Haven't been following this weekend....

  "Chenterprise. We are the future. Resistance is futile. Prepare to BBe... "  
    09-25-16 04:25 PM
    What happened to the Kijiji one...? :-)

Haven't been following this weekend....

  "Chenterprise. We are the future. Resistance is futile. Prepare to BBe... "  
    http://mobilesyrup.com/2016/09/27/wh...ered-passport/

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-28-16 09:33 AM
    Sadly none. I have checked. Everything out there all look the same.

Emperor of Texas & California.
    10-01-16 07:04 PM
    I'm almost 100% sure that there is a blackberry exec completely barbecued somewhere right now thinking... "passport shaped full android full touchscreen 4:3 device .... PROFIT!!!"

...Two problems....

1. will they ever convince a 3rd party to make one for them?
    2. will it ever make it past all the red-tape and bureaucracy that is the modern-day corporate environment where everyone needs to get their hands into the cookie jar and have a say ....

hopefully one day....

but one thing is clear.... even if the idea gets a green light.... once all is said and done.... the overwhelming desire of the corporate machine to make profit over anything else will more than likely pump out a final product that is a mere shadow of the original greatness that the idea brings to the table... most likely a shallow... gimmicky shell of a device that ultimately tries too hard for it's own good ....

that seems to be the issue these days more and more.... just way too much **** being thrown in because !!PROFIT!! outweighs overall customer experience and general look and feel from start to finish of a device.

OG passport perfect example.... everyone i talk to that owns one loves that thing.... including me....

but you bring that idea to a board these days and you'll be laughed out of the boardroom.
    ahhhlain likes this.
    10-03-16 12:27 PM
    I'm almost 100% sure that there is a blackberry exec completely barbecued somewhere right now thinking... "passport shaped full android full touchscreen 4:3 device .... PROFIT!!!"

...Two problems....

2. will it ever make it past all the red-tape and bureaucracy that is the modern-day corporate environment where everyone needs to get their hands into the cookie jar and have a say ....

hopefully one day....

but one thing is clear.... even if the idea gets a green light.... once all is said and done.... the overwhelming desire of the corporate machine to make profit over anything else will more than likely pump out a final product that is a mere shadow of the original greatness that the idea brings to the table... most likely a shallow... gimmicky shell of a device that ultimately tries too hard for it's own good ....

that seems to be the issue these days more and more.... just way too much **** being thrown in because !!PROFIT!! outweighs overall customer experience and general look and feel from start to finish of a device.

OG passport perfect example.... everyone i talk to that owns one loves that thing.... including me....

but you bring that idea to a board these days and you'll be laughed out of the boardroom.
    While some companies are driven by perceived greed, you can't keep manufacturing devices whose sales don't cover the cost of making them.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-16 06:41 PM
    Android does support 4:3 apps natively. That ratio displays nicely on the Passport. Throw in the notification bar and Android soft keys and there's your square.
    11-04-16 07:10 PM
    Lots of Passport owners also think that....

Maybe one day Android will work on a 1x1 display?
    Maybe one day there might be a return to PKB type devcies?

I think Chen is going to see how well these three devcies sale... especially the more costly one for him the Mercury as it's not just a repurposed existing hardware set.

Chances are pretty good that those will be the last three BlackBerry's. Never mind another expensive custom PKB device that really won't display Android correctly.
    Now...

Let me say this. Chen said "predominantly" (edit: there is that word again!) keyboard phones when he got started. Sadly, the Zeddies among us got badly neglected...

Now it's their (late) turn with the DTEKs in the Android world. If the pendulum swings both ways, he'll need to satisfy all those pesky traditionalists that are in fact using the physical "dinosaurs" (terrible lizards)...

Passport, Classics and Qs are willing and waiting for their turn. Mercury, where is thy u$efulne$$, where can we buy... :-D

  "BB10 dead?" - "Let's dance the Danse MacaBBRY! ... or is it..?" ;-D  
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    11-07-16 04:02 AM

I think it would

I am a Passport fan . I don't think that Passport type android device will generate the numbers . If BlackBerry can give option for upgrading old BlackBerry 10 devices including the Passport to Android it will increase the life of the deviceS.
    11-07-16 03:12 PM

...Two problems....

hopefully one day....

Well said sir. Well said.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-16 09:50 AM

I think it would

Would do well but how many of us are on a Passport to stay off of Google.

Sent from one of my SE Passports using BB10 superior software.
    04-10-17 09:44 AM
    I am a Passport fan . I don't think that Passport type android device will generate the numbers . If BlackBerry can give option for upgrading old BlackBerry 10 devices including the Passport to Android it will increase the life of the deviceS.
    That would not happen. BlackBerry wants you to buy their new phones.

If they kept improving the older phones, people would hang on to them for years.
    04-10-17 03:11 PM
    That would not happen. BlackBerry wants you to buy their new phones.

If they kept improving the older phones, people would hang on to them for years.
    Not necessarily. Not supporting older devices will make people not want to buy there new phones. Due to the treatment they've received with previous phones.
    08-08-17 08:56 PM
    Would do well but how many of us are on a Passport to stay off of Google.

Sent from one of my SE Passports using BB10 superior software.
    I and many more have no interest in Google this and Google that.
    08-08-17 08:57 PM
    Release the passport with Android. Sexy device, done!

I've voiced this opinion multiple times and think that it would find loads of admirers, give the fact that the original passport received a rather positive critique on the internet.
    10-22-17 09:29 PM
    Release the passport with Android. Sexy device, done!

I've voiced this opinion multiple times and think that it would find loads of admirers, give the fact that the original passport received a rather positive critique on the internet.
    And I've posted even more times that a 1:1 aspect ratio is not permitted on Android. 4:3 (height to width) is the minimum allowed, and even that will run into trouble with some of the major apps like Snapchat and Instagram.

I think the 3:2 aspect ratio of the KEYᵒⁿᵉ is the only reasonable solution.
    10-22-17 09:35 PM