We all know BlackBerry's main problem is apps. Amazon Fire OS's main problem is apps. Windows Phone's main problem is apps. Samsung is putting effort into Tizen as a backup plan to Android, but it's main problem is bound to be apps. Same goes for FireFox OS and Jolla, and all the Android forkers out there.

I believe these companies need to get together and create a shared native app standard that is flexible enough to feel natural in a wide variety of user interface paradigms these companies offer. There would undoubtedly be personality and cultural conflicts to be worked out, but it's so obvious that app availability is a HUGE liability for so many I think it's worth it to work through them.

No single company can attract the developers at this point, Apple built that boat and it sailed long ago. Seeking shelter under Google's roof is the only other alternative. Relying on a 3rd party as a long-term plan is shaky at best.
    10-14-15 09:58 AM
    They do, it's called Qt.
    But, Blackberry decided to mess the whole idea up with Cascades; other OS'Ss like Sailfish use close to 90% Qt Quick Components which all have very similar methods of doing things, for example I can port my old Symbian Qt Quick Apps to Sailfish rather pain free but BB10 I have to rewrite a large majority of it because of Cascades Components; same with BB10 to Sailfish ( In Progress with my Nightly Clock, the logic behind it can be took over but the close to the entire UI and others had to be done from scratch)

Posted via CB10 v....not telling
    Superdupont 2_0 likes this.
    10-14-15 10:05 AM
    We all know BlackBerry's main problem is apps. Amazon Fire OS's main problem is apps. Windows Phone's main problem is apps. Samsung is putting effort into Tizen as a backup plan to Android, but it's main problem is bound to be apps. Same goes for FireFox OS and Jolla, and all the Android forkers out there.

I believe these companies need to get together and create a shared native app standard that is flexible enough to feel natural in a wide variety of user interface paradigms these companies offer. There would undoubtedly be personality and cultural conflicts to be worked out, but it's so obvious that app availability is a HUGE liability for so many I think it's worth it to work through them.

No single company can attract the developers at this point, Apple built that boat and it sailed long ago. Seeking shelter under Google's roof is the only other alternative. Relying on a 3rd party as a long-term plan is shaky at best.
    Boat sailed and only Google reacted fast enough to get on. At this point the big important developers aren't going to notice even some App Alliance with a combined marketshare of 5%. And it's not about the creating of those apps... there are plenty of tools that would allow an app to be ported to many of these platform. It's the supporting of these fringe users that really scares the big developers groups...
    10-14-15 10:28 AM