Isn’t BlackBerry’s future a no-win situation for the handset fans? If the company continues to struggle then the story will be that they were unable to make the transition away from handsets. If they successfully turn the company around then it will entirely validate the decision to get out of handsets.
    01-25-22 06:30 PM
    Isn’t BlackBerry’s future a no-win situation for the handset fans? If the company continues to struggle then the story will be that they were unable to make the transition away from handsets. If they successfully turn the company around then it will entirely validate the decision to get out of handsets.
    I don't think it matters... either way the decision to get out of handsets was a no brainer. How many lost billions does it take?

Might could debate that they should have done it sooner.... but bottom line BlackBerry was never going to compete on hardware. And when you have giants like Apple, Microsoft and Google in the game, not really going to even be able to compete on security or features in the long term.
    01-26-22 09:37 AM
    Since BlackBerry Limited exited handsets five (5) years ago, while BlackBerry Mobile exited licensed handsets 18 months ago. It's been a lost situation for BlackBerry handset fans a very long time any way you Iook at it.
    01-26-22 09:50 AM
    What reason, then, would a BlackBerry handset fan have to be interested in the financials of the company? Actually, if the company goes bankrupt and is liquidated for the assets then it would probably facilitate the acquisition and revival of the name a la “Palm.”

Having said that, I would love to see an interview with Prem Watsa, that teacher’s union retirement fund, or any of the many true-believer investors in the turn-around.
    01-26-22 12:47 PM
    The decision has already been validated. They would have become insolvent by early 2014 otherwise.
    01-26-22 02:11 PM
    What reason, then, would a BlackBerry handset fan have to be interested in the financials of the company?
    Most wouldn't (and haven't) care, but there's a subset that will continue to be interested in BB simply because they have a love for the company, even if they don't directly care about the products they sell today, and there's another subset who will ALWAYS hold out hope for new phones, no matter how many times people tell them that BB has no interest in phones anymore. They just assume that as long as the BB name is attached to a live company, that SOME hope for future phones still exists - as unrealistic as that is.

So, between those two groups of people, articles and posts about BB's financials will always generate some traffic here.
    Laura Knotek and neoberry99 like this.
    02-28-22 07:46 PM
    One mistake I made was purchasing a Cylance Smart AV subscription. Not that I mind the antivirus program and I think it's pretty neat but the handling of sales and totally inept customer service is mind bogglingly bad. The dashboard designs linking PC and Mobile devices is woefully bad, somedays it will show you that you have 2 devices then suddenly you 5 of 2 devices registered and then all of a suddenly it will tell you that you have 2 of 5 devices registered and would you like to add a device? Sure go ahead and try lol.... it will come back and tell you that 5 devices are registered and you need to up your account! Emails sent to support remain unanswered, links on their website has links to old Blackberry pages that don't exist. Makes you wonder if the software is any good, but then again guess who takes care of consumer sales of Cylance....none other than our old friends at Digital River!
    03-27-22 01:44 PM
    One mistake I made was purchasing a Cylance Smart AV subscription.
    BB only released that for consumers for the optics - they never had any intention of dealing with consumers. They aren't equipped to do so and it's not how they operate or think, and getting rid of phones let them dump the consumer business entirely, minus this one product, which they've left to deteriorate. If you aren't a corporation looking to license QNX/self-driving car stuff, BB isn't interested. And, really, that's the right answer for who BB is in 2022 - hell, who BB has been since 2016.

If you make purchase decisions based on nostalgia or brand loyalty rather than the facts of the current situation, you're likely to be disappointed, as you've seen. BB isn't, and hasn't been for many years, the company that many people here remember, and too many haven't gotten the message. Of course, I'm sure there are some still awaiting the newest Atari game console too... LOL.
    03-27-22 02:04 PM
    BB only released that for consumers for the optics - they never had any intention of dealing with consumers. They aren't equipped to do so and it's not how they operate or think, and getting rid of phones let them dump the consumer business entirely, minus this one product, which they've left to deteriorate. If you aren't a corporation looking to license QNX/self-driving car stuff, BB isn't interested. And, really, that's the right answer for who BB is in 2022 - hell, who BB has been since 2016.

If you make purchase decisions based on nostalgia or brand loyalty rather than the facts of the current situation, you're likely to be disappointed, as you've seen. BB isn't, and hasn't been for many years, the company that many people here remember, and too many haven't gotten the message. Of course, I'm sure there are some still awaiting the newest Atari game console too... LOL.
    Well I finally got a response from the Crackerjack team at Blackberry and it's so funny I have to show the response along with a photo of my dashboard (since the Cylance app does not allow screenshots now that's security!)

"Thank you for contacting Cylance Smart AV!

There is a known issue occurring at the moment that is keeping mobile devices from showing gin the dashboard. We have verified that the mobile devices are still speaking with our services and working correctly. We are currently working on correcting this issue. There is not currently a time frame on when this will be corrected.

We will go ahead and close this case for now, but if you still had questions/concerns related to this issue please reply back to reopen it.
    If you have other questions/concerns please open a NEW ticket to pursue."

Ultra LOLNo More BB Financial News After Crackberry 2.0 Reset?-img_20220402_205728_1.jpg
    elfabio80 likes this.
    04-02-22 09:06 PM

Atari fans are happy. https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=GJYzjCa2
    04-03-22 02:59 PM
    I just realized that BB recently reported its Q3 FY 2022 results. While they ain't pretty, the significant thing I noticed was that I was not able to find any mention of those results anywhere on Crackberry. The most recent article I could find on BB's financial performance was a report on BB's Q2 FY 2022 results, which was posted some 4 months ago. Is this omission a part of the overhaul of Crackberry into "new and improved" Crackberry 2.0 - "Beyond Blackberry" or did I overlook it?
    Pretty much the same for the Q4 FY 2022 earnings reported last week.

But it's not material to why folks are here. They know even if BlackBerry turned things around, it's not going to result in a return to smartphones.

As for the report... They are $175 Million smaller company today than they were a year ago.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-04-22 08:19 AM
    Pretty much the same for the Q4 FY 2022 earnings reported last week.

But it's not material to why folks are here. They know even if BlackBerry turned things around, it's not going to result in a return to smartphones.

As for the report... They are $175 Million smaller company today than they were a year ago.
    Wait, what!?

BlackBerry aren't in the phone biz any more?

Who knew?, why didn't anyone tell me!

I feel such a fool.
    04-04-22 10:24 AM
    Wow, that’s amazing. I remember the days when that was just a quarterly loss and BB10 was going to reverse direction any day.

Or was that BBAndroid……

Maybe that was PKB device…….
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-04-22 02:39 PM
    Wow, that’s amazing. I remember the days when that was just a quarterly loss and BB10 was going to reverse direction any day.

Or was that BBAndroid……

Maybe that was PKB device…….
    It's crazy that BlackBerry today, is very similar to BlackBerry of ten years ago.

Instead of the growth market of smartphones that they really never could capture a pieces of, it's now the Cybersecurity business that is booming and yet they seem to have fumbled their position and that of Cylance. In the "call" Chen yet again talked about needed better training for and the hiring of more sales staff... he has been talking that story for three years now. But it's hard to hire quality people, when your trying to cut all the cost from a company that is down to it's bare bones. He doesn't want to really rise the "CASH" on an all attempt at survival, rather take the slow path to obscurity.

Never say never about another BlackBerry phone... they are still heading towards the beach, where what's left might get broken up and sold to individual companies that might use the name again in smartphones - or TVs, Food Juicers, on $20 pocket PDAs.
    Laura Knotek and pdr733 like this.
    04-04-22 03:01 PM
    Well I finally got a response from the Crackerjack team at Blackberry and it's so funny I have to show the response along with a photo of my dashboard (since the Cylance app does not allow screenshots now that's security!)

"Thank you for contacting Cylance Smart AV!

There is a known issue occurring at the moment that is keeping mobile devices from showing gin the dashboard. We have verified that the mobile devices are still speaking with our services and working correctly. We are currently working on correcting this issue. There is not currently a time frame on when this will be corrected.

We will go ahead and close this case for now, but if you still had questions/concerns related to this issue please reply back to reopen it.
    If you have other questions/concerns please open a NEW ticket to pursue."

Ultra LOLClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220402_205728_1.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	452004
    Update: I finally caved and sent an email to John Chen about this debacle and he responded within hours.

"I do agree the message was not helpful
    I have alerted our support lead to look into this

Thank you for letting me know . Hope we resolve this quickly

John"
    04-12-22 02:45 PM
    Update: I finally caved and sent an email to John Chen about this debacle and he responded within hours.

"I do agree the message was not helpful
    I have alerted our support lead to look into this

Thank you for letting me know . Hope we resolve this quickly

John"
    Shoot... you should have asked him why Cylance is rated so poorly among it's competition. In the end that's what's keeping them from making any gains during this booming cybersecurity period. As that market consolidates, which it seems to be doing... a marginal player like BlackBerry is in trouble.
    Laura Knotek and pdr733 like this.
    04-12-22 03:37 PM
    Shoot... you should have asked him why Cylance is rated so poorly among it's competition. In the end that's what's keeping them from making any gains during this booming cybersecurity period. As that market consolidates, which it seems to be doing... a marginal player like BlackBerry is in trouble.
    Someone liked your comment. Wow.
    04-13-22 01:16 AM
    Someone liked your comment. Wow.
    Two did....

Sadly it's the truth..... Independent testing labs had Cylance at 95% detection, while at least ten other products had a 100% rating. If 95% is good enough for you, that's great. But I'm looking at it from the business side and those poor scores are likly why Gartner Magic Quadrant has Cylance down from a Market Leader to a Niche Product. And why BlackBerry's Cyber Security revenues are falling during a booming time in Cyber Security. Which is relevant to this threads topic... of BB financial news.

As for Cylance... it's a good product for what it is. But it needs to be paired with a traditional definition scanner to offer full protection. Problem is most of the traditional products have already added their own smart scanner into their products - which doesn't leave BB much of an opening.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-13-22 07:26 AM
    So I was contacted by a "Senior Manager in BlackBerry’s Customer Support". During the call he was able to offer me an immediate temporary work-around for my issue and explained what they are doing to fix it ( a third party api is causing the issue with the mobile dashboard) and that the knowledge base for the support team has been changed in reflection of what happened here. "Do not close a case until the customer is satisfied...."
    04-14-22 05:21 PM
44 12