Why do some here think BlackBerry, if they were still in the app business, would be any different when it comes to policy.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    01-16-21 09:18 AM
    Why do some here think BlackBerry, if they were still in the app business, would be any different when it comes to policy.
    They were very lax in their approval process, but that was I think because they were chasing "number of apps" pretty hard in trying to make BB10 work. So for the time they had the app store, it wasn't very clean, and there were a lot of extremely questionable apps.

But if the platform had become successful, then I think they would have implemented stronger checks. Nothing is ever "anything goes", and it can't be as a practical matter. Blackberry are not petulant children, and understand their legal and ethical responsibilities across the world in so many jurisdictions, and so I think they would have had guidelines and policies if they had gotten to a large number of users.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 01-16-21 at 10:03 AM.
    01-16-21 09:24 AM
    I think you might be missing the point from my perspective. A desire for a secure, private (platform agnostic) Blackberry 10 OS with integrated messanging (never have found anything quite like the HUB) being its primary function, a viable up to date browser and an ability to download and run any apk directly from a vendor, like Blokada or NetGuard outside of having to go through either A or B play store (Apple or Google) would give me a better sense of privacy and not having my anonymous data consolidated and stored with either. (I do what I can on Android)

My belief is that all the major tech companies are too big and intrusive. The recent mass exodus, and it has been, away from WhatsApp is people from every background or political affiliation starting to realize the intrusion FB and all the other big tech has into ones privacy and lives. Something other than those players has people quickly adopting Signal and Telegram for their most personal messages.

#TheSocialDelema is real and they don't care about your political affiliation, faith, race, etc as long as your engaged and using their product or app. More and more are realizing the part they play in big technologies psychological ploys to keep users engaged (sow division) and sell, sell, sell those ads! Some like me are doing what I can to disassociate myself from them wherever I can.
    01-16-21 10:06 AM
    I absolutely would.

I think you might be missing the point from my perspective. A desire for a secure, private (platform agnostic) Blackberry 10 OS with integrated messanging (never have found anything quite like the HUB) being its primary function, a viable up to date browser and an ability to download and run any apk directly from a vendor, like Blokada or NetGuard outside of having to go through either A or B play store (Apple or Google) would give me a better sense of privacy and not having my anonymous data consolidated and stored with either. (I do what I can on Android)

My belief is that all the major tech companies are too big and intrusive. The recent mass exodus, and it has been, away from WhatsApp is people from every background or political affiliation starting to realize the intrusion FB and all the other big tech has into ones privacy and lives. Something other than those players has people quickly adopting Signal and Telegram for their most personal messages.

#TheSocialDelema is real and they don't care about your political affiliation, faith, race, etc as long as your engaged and using their product or app. More and more are realizing the part they play in big technologies psychological ploys to keep users engaged (sow division) and sell, sell, sell those ads! Some like me are doing what I can to disassociate myself from them wherever I can.
    Not to dwell on it, but you do understand you don't need BB10 to accomplish anything you are suggesting here, right?

So you can start your project at zero, today, instead of $1billion in the hole 2 years from now.
    app_Developer likes this.
    01-16-21 10:33 AM

So why not just use signal and/or telegram? Seems like a simple solution
    01-16-21 10:49 AM

Conite already made one point, but another point is that BlackBerry is not, and never was any different really. Security and privacy was primarily from outside third party attempts. BlackBerry itself was collecting data just like everyone else. Just go back and check the user agreements. And, they are also willing to share that info with any agency handing them a subpoena.

The real security BlackBerry offered, was only companies, universities, and... the government.
    01-16-21 12:57 PM
    I get your concerns about social media, I share them to an extent (I use very little SM apart from the messengers which I use only to one-to-one communication). But as it was pointed out, how would BB and BB10 help here?
    If we go to a global perspective, if country or region X says they would like to be independent of USA-made tech platforms, why would they want a small Canadian company ? It is just not logical.
    01-16-21 02:28 PM
    Not to dwell on it, but you do understand you don't need BB10 to accomplish anything you are suggesting here, right?

So you can start your project at zero, today, instead of $1billion in the hole 2 years from now.
    I believe you missed the end of the first paragraph and train of thought ("I do what I can on Android"- although I have not figured out how to completely "de-Google" either my Blackberry or Samsung)

I would prefer MORE than 2 players consolidating the mobile data space. We seemed to be conditioned/forced to "A" or "B" in some industries and I don't believe that benefits anyone but A or B.....
    01-16-21 03:58 PM
    I believe you missed the end of the first paragraph and train of thought ("I do what I can on Android"- although I have not figured out how to completely "de-Google" either my Blackberry or Samsung)
    You load AOSP on a rooted phone. Done. No Google.

Then install Warden (among other choices), an open-source apk that disables all trackers and loggers at the root level.

I would prefer MORE than 2 players consolidating the mobile data space. We seemed to be conditioned/forced to "A" or "B" in some industries and I don't believe that benefits anyone but A or B.....
    How would a third major platform help? How would a Microsoft, or an Amazon, or a BlackBerry do anything differently?

Managing the colossal firmament surrounding an entire platform/ecosystem is expensive beyond belief, and anyone daring to attempt it needs monumental revenues. They would have to monetize in every way they can.
    Last edited by conite; 01-16-21 at 04:45 PM.
    app_Developer likes this.
    01-16-21 04:06 PM
    Spot-on! I’m deep into the Apple eco system but I would trash it all of Blackberry OS and devices would come back!
    brambleberry likes this.
    01-16-21 10:26 PM
    Same. I would also like to see more than two players to choose from.
    01-17-21 12:16 AM
    Same. I would also like to see more than two players to choose from.
    I think most of use would have like to see a sold three or four players.... but that didn't happen with PC, it didn't happen with mobile devices...

Sadly if there is to be a number 3... it's more likely to be Huawei HarmonyOS. It's in active development with my guess thousands of developers working overtime to make it happen. It will spring from a market that has a billion users that don't need the Google that much anyway.

But I doubt most of us want to use it.
    01-18-21 08:11 AM
    But I doubt most of us want to use it.
    I dont know alot of people are rooting for china that arent chinese, i would like to know though if like the free market the more players the better it.is for the consumer, but seems to me in this case and history seems to support this the more imperial powers the more tyranny. What could be coming is the Applenisation of smartphone ecosystems, more control over the consumer so its harder for him to change ecosystem.
    Last edited by manny2; 01-19-21 at 10:23 PM.
    01-19-21 06:59 PM
    But I love the HUB in BlackBerry 10 and so many of the OS attributes!
    Unfortunately not many others did
    01-20-21 01:28 AM

Why would I have any more reason to trust Blackberry than Apple or Google? If you think they would be any different if they hadn't failed you're delusional. In fact they may even have ended up being worse since they always seemed to care more about Goverment and Big Business than individual consumers.
    01-20-21 01:38 AM
    Why would I have any more reason to trust Blackberry than Apple or Google? If you think they would be any different if they hadn't failed you're delusional. In fact they may even have ended up being worse since they always seemed to care more about Goverment and Big Business than individual consumers.
    This is exactly true. BlackBerry Limited epically failed with BB10 and it’s business model, had it succeeded, would have been very much the same as the Android/iOS model everyone begrudgingly accepts only “because” there’s no alternatives. That BB10 would have evolved like Android/iOS data slurping and privacy infringing seems lost on everyone. In fact, BB10 only exists the way it does simply due to it’s epic failure.
    pdr733 likes this.
    01-20-21 04:41 AM

Chen and BlackBerry were always the first to support governments and respond positively to warrants and requests. If BB10 were still active I have zero doubt BlackBerry would have been the first company to remove Parler from their app store.
    01-20-21 10:33 AM
    For me, the appeal is:
    being a 3rd Way to avoid the lion's share of hackers,
    being a 3rd Way just for kudos,
    not being heavily ----ese,
    not running an advertising giant's dream OS (however secure that company's version of their OS is rated),
    plus the simply beautiful phones.

The downside is the price tag.
    The intrusion is more or less a given, but it's the context of that intrusion that makes or breaks the deal for me - the context = the above points
    01-16-22 07:37 AM
    For me, the appeal is:
    being a 3rd Way to avoid the lion's share of hackers,
    being a 3rd Way just for kudos,
    not being heavily ----ese,
    not running an advertising giant's dream OS (however secure that company's version of their OS is rated),
    plus the simply beautiful phones.

The downside is the price tag.
    The intrusion is more or less a given, but it's the context of that intrusion that makes or breaks the deal for me - the context = the above points
    This wasn't BB10 intended business model. There are other mobile OS to choose from. Pick Sailfish OS for instance?
    01-16-22 08:29 AM
    This wasn't BB10 intended business model. There are other mobile OS to choose from. Pick Sailfish OS for instance?
    Has anybody ever gone and installed Sailfish OS on a mobile phone after being told to do so on this forum?

Sailfish OS isn't a 3rd Way, note the capitalisation. It's a way, on some phone somewhere. I'm thinking of one phone made in Finland that turned out to be a spoof and is in its umpteenth iteration with a bizarre concept drawing that reveals the entire thing to be a spoof.

By 3rd Way l mean like Windows once was. Yep l know Windows have huge resources and that says much about the viability of a 3rd Way. I don't mean a phone that can probably send a text, and can even do multimedia like mp3, mp4. I mean a slick well maintained established 3rd Way.
    01-16-22 09:11 AM
    Has anybody ever gone and installed Sailfish OS on a mobile phone after being told to do so on this forum?

Sailfish OS isn't a 3rd Way, note the capitalisation. It's a way, on some phone somewhere. I'm thinking of one phone made in Finland that turned out to be a spoof and is in its umpteenth iteration with a bizarre concept drawing that reveals the entire thing to be a spoof.

By 3rd Way l mean like Windows once was. Yep l know Windows have huge resources and that says much about the viability of a 3rd Way. I don't mean a phone that can probably send a text, and can even do multimedia like mp3, mp4. I mean a slick well maintained established 3rd Way.
    If a third OS was truly viable, you'd have it to choose from.
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-16-22 09:29 AM
    If a third OS was truly viable, you'd have it to choose from.
    That's a non sequitur. I refer to progress over the past 7ky.
    01-16-22 09:30 AM
    Just to be clear, l'm not obsessed with BBOS as such, rather the concept of turning something around and making it succeed because it was actually half decent. I mean: keeping with the original idea of BB OS flagship phones, turning that around so that it returns out of nowhere. Just for the thrills, l'd like to see it happen.
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    01-16-22 09:36 AM
    Just to be clear, l'm not obsessed with BBOS as such, rather the concept of turning something around and making it succeed because it was actually half decent. I mean: keeping with the original idea of BB OS flagship phones, turning that around so that it returns out of nowhere. Just for the thrills, l'd like to see it happen.
    If your focus is on BB returning to the phone biz, I understand its selling its phone-related IP, so wouldn't that put a gigantic stopper to revitalizing that biz, even if its principal shareholders (e.g., Fairfax) was ok with that.
    BB11isNext likes this.
    01-16-22 09:45 AM
    If your focus is on BB returning to the phone biz, I understand its selling its phone-related IP, so wouldn't that put a gigantic stopper to revitalizing that biz, even if its principal shareholders (e.g., Fairfax) was ok with that.
    I wasn't really aware of that but l guess l should have known.
    How about: incoporating whoever the IP was sold to?

I have a string of failed businesses that l'd like to revive. One of which l do indeed revive from time to time. Strictly smalltime but it would be an inspiration to us middling businesspeople to see a comeback like this.
    01-16-22 09:48 AM
64 123