I know, I know... BlackBerry 10 is dead.

With the current climate of dystopian censorship, people leaving WhatsApp in droves and closing their Facebook and Twitter accounts, something is up. Signal is now the app to use. Apple and Google have removed certain apps from their respective stores....

I believe there is a market for a third-party alternative platform. Something devoid of Google and Apple. A platform that is secure, reliable and collects no information on the user. A platform that can utilize 5G and avoid the app ecosystem where possible.

There is a growing market of people that what a device that doesn't run popular apps like Facebook or Twitter, at all. A market for a secure messenger (cue BBM Enterprise, Signal) with a modern fast and secure browser running through a secure built-in VPN. Unhackable and untraceable.

I don't want to simplify things too much... but a well-placed ad that says "Google, Apple? Walk away... BlackBerry is back." "Private. Secure."

There would be an immediate market of 50 million people, probably just in the United States,

BB10 exists. It needs works, it needs to run on modern hardware, but I believe it is worth the investment. If the Passport or Z30 were released today with modern specs, with this marketing perspective, people would bite.

This is a once in a decade opportunity, and I don't think the upcoming Onward Mobility device running Android is the solution.... unless it is completely devoid of Google services, which would make it a viable product. The jury is out.

A lot of people left BB10 because it wouldn't run apps like Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, etc... We are now in a climate where that is becoming less important....

Anyway, just my observation as I get a dozen notifications a day as my contacts join Signal after leaving WhatsApp.

I'm going to fire up my Passport and see if it meets my more modest needs now....
    01-15-21 09:54 AM

With the current climate of dystopian censorship, people leaving WhatsApp in droves and closing their Facebook and Twitter accounts, something is up. Signal is now the app to use. Apple and Google have removed certain apps from their respective stores....

I believe there is a market for a third-party alternative platform. Something devoid of Google and Apple. A platform that is secure, reliable and collects no information on the user. A platform that can utilize 5G and avoid the app ecosystem where possible.

There is a growing market of people that what a device that doesn't run popular apps like Facebook or Twitter, at all. A market for a secure messenger (cue BBM Enterprise, Signal) with a modern fast and secure browser running through a secure built-in VPN. Unhackable and untraceable.

I don't want to simplify things too much... but a well-placed ad that says "Google, Apple? Walk away... BlackBerry is back." "Private. Secure."

There would be an immediate market of 50 million people, probably just in the United States,

BB10 exists. It needs works, it needs to run on modern hardware, but I believe it is worth the investment. If the Passport or Z30 were released today with modern specs, with this marketing perspective, people would bite.

This is a once in a decade opportunity, and I don't think the upcoming Onward Mobility device running Android is the solution.... unless it is completely devoid of Google services, which would make it a viable product. The jury is out.

A lot of people left BB10 because it wouldn't run apps like Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, etc... We are now in a climate where that is becoming less important....

Anyway, just my observation as I get a dozen notifications a day as my contacts join Signal after leaving WhatsApp.

I'm going to fire up my Passport and see if it meets my more modest needs now....
    We already have several of these.... now it's time for BB10 or BBM to rise from the dead.

Sorry but even if Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, are on the outs.... Zoom, Team and Signal are not, so most of us still need apps.

There are other alternative for Android Apps if your wanting some of these questionable apps that have been removed.

BlackBerry doesn't have the buildings, people, or skill to bring BB10 from the grave.... nor the money.
    BBM offers nothing that Signal doesn't... and Signal is free and not owned by a company known for working with the authorities.

Fire up you Passport and enjoy it.... but it's days are numbered.
    pdr733 and SRG1 like this.
    01-15-21 10:48 AM

No need to resurrect an ancient EOL OS and redevelop it from the ground up for modern 64-bit hardware, at the cost of 9 or 10 figures.

One could easily use AOSP as the base code for a dumbed-down OS, à la KaiOS (a derivative of Firefox OS). You could also build in a suite of anti-tracker and anti-malware software.

The market simply doesn't seem to be there, or it would have happened already.

Most people need at least a small handful of apps - but for everyone, that mix is different.
    01-15-21 10:52 AM

I agree. The timing is right for more than Google or Apple and a truly personal space on our mobile devices. (yes I also agree you can do it on Android and Apple to some extent and I have) Millions and millions of people on all sides of any country's political spectrum world wide are realizing the harmful effects of social media on persons and populations mental well being.

All of the companies and governments where they reside are complicit in where we are today. Poor Cook knows it but he just can't bring himself or Apple to stop providing the soul sucking apps on his devices and the $$ the generate. It makes him hypocritical and 2 faced but their elimination from their walled app store would crush their stock valuation. #TheSocialDelema

The fact is the failed duopoly that is US based politics have allowed the US based massive tech companies and social media and media platforms to grow, censor and crush anyone in their way for $$ and campaign contributions. Let's see if Elizabeth Warren has a seat and a voice in this incoming administration with her platform pleas to break up big tech and it's intrusion into all of our lives. I sure as hell hope so as people are now listening!

Psychologists have to shake their heads to have witnessed persons and populations need to share such personal aspects of their lives publicly. And to think it all started from a hard up guy building and stealing an idea at college to create a website to "rate chicks" on campus.

Social Media, 24/7 opinion based, headline grabbing journalism (if you can call it that) and persons arguing over politics, race and religion have created a massive chasm in our societies. One we need to heal globally by deleting profile creating social media from our devices and lives.

"Cancel Culture" is real and maybe, God I hope, this is big tech and Social Media's time and turn to experience Karma for all that they have done and eat a little crow. People's migration by millions and millions in a weeks period of time to privacy based messanging platforms like Signal and Telegram is inspiring and telling. People are realizing and adapting. FB for one is in full panic and damage control mode over their losses at Whatsapp and I couldn't be happier. (Yeah!)
    SRG1 likes this.
    01-15-21 11:45 AM
    I agree. The timing is right for more than Google or Apple and a truly personal space on our mobile devices. (yes I also agree you can do it on Android and Apple to some extent and I have) Millions and millions of people on all sides of any country's political spectrum world wide are realizing the harmful effects of social media on persons and populations mental well being.

All of the companies and governments where they reside are complicit in where we are today. Poor Cook knows it but he just can't bring himself or Apple to stop providing the soul sucking apps on his devices and the $$ the generate. It makes him hypocritical and 2 faced but their elimination from their walled app store would crush their stock valuation. #TheSocialDelema

The fact is the failed duopoly that is US based politics have allowed the US based massive tech companies and social media and media platforms to grow, censor and crush anyone in their way for $$ and campaign contributions. Let's see if Elizabeth Warren has a seat and a voice in this incoming administration with her platform pleas to break up big tech and it's intrusion into all of our lives. I sure as hell hope so as people are now listening!

Psychologists have to shake their heads to have witnessed persons and populations need to share such personal aspects of their lives publicly. And to think it all started from a hard up guy building and stealing an idea at college to create a website to "rate chicks" on campus.

Social Media, 24/7 opinion based, headline grabbing journalism (if you can call it that) and persons arguing over politics, race and religion have created a massive chasm in our societies. One we need to heal globally by deleting profile creating social media from our devices and lives.

"Cancel Culture" is real and maybe, God I hope, this is big tech and Social Media's time and turn to experience Karma for all that they have done and eat a little crow. People's migration by millions and millions in a weeks period of time to privacy based messanging platforms like Signal and Telegram is inspiring and telling. People are realizing and adapting. FB for one is in full panic and damage control mode over their losses at Whatsapp and I couldn't be happier. (Yeah!)
    But none of this has anything to do with BB10.

As I wrote in another thread, people keep conflating apps and UX with the underlying code base.
    01-15-21 11:54 AM
    But none of this has anything to do with BB10.

As I wrote in another thread, people keep conflating apps and UX with the underlying code base.
    Do you think more people today would now consider a BlackBerry 10 like OS and device with a modern Edge like browser and updated runtime and ability to add apks (without Google intrusion) for apps they choose? I know I would-
    01-15-21 12:02 PM
    Do you think more people today would now consider a BlackBerry 10 like OS and device with a modern Edge like browser and updated runtime and ability to add apks (without Google intrusion) for apps they choose? I know I would-
    But you don't need BB10 for that.

Just use AOSP with a curated app store.

No Google, no tracking.

A simple rooted device, running anti-trackers & LineageOS would give you that.
    01-15-21 12:04 PM
    But you don't need BB10 for that.

Just use AOSP with a curated app store.

No Google, no tracking.

A simple rooted device, running anti-trackers & LineageOS would give you that.
    But I love the HUB in BlackBerry 10 and so many of the OS attributes!
    01-15-21 12:18 PM
    But I love the HUB in BlackBerry 10 and so many of the OS attributes!
    Sure, but again, that's app and UX-level stuff, and doesn't require BB10 base code. But ya, I know you're just having fun!
    bh7171 likes this.
    01-15-21 12:21 PM
    Yes! You're right about this.

But... no way is Chen talented or imaginative to pull this off. He has no understanding of the Western consumer market. (Who names a phone the "Perv"?)

Also, Prem is way too cheap. They have been slowly harvesting BB for nearly 10 years now.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-21 12:29 PM

A side note: until very recently Signal ran like a champ on my Passport. A recent update by Signal blocked the older version.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-21 12:31 PM
    Yes! You're right about this.

But... no way is Chen talented or imaginative to pull this off. He has no understanding of the Western consumer market. (Who names a phone the "Perv"?)

Also, Prem is way too cheap. They have been slowly harvesting BB for nearly 10 years now.

Posted via CB10
    Chen was brought in at the behest of the BoD to dump devices after the epic failure of BB10.

It simply took 3 years to accomplish, as enterprise and automotive IoT software was ramped up.
    01-15-21 12:33 PM
    We already have several of these.... now it's time for BB10 or BBM to rise from the dead.

Sorry but even if Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, are on the outs.... Zoom, Team and Signal are not, so most of us still need apps.

There are other alternative for Android Apps if your wanting some of these questionable apps that have been removed.

BlackBerry doesn't have the buildings, people, or skill to bring BB10 from the grave.... nor the money.
    BBM offers nothing that Signal doesn't... and Signal is free and not owned by a company known for working with the authorities.

Prem doesn't have the money, but Wall Street does. We are drowning in cheap capital. Someone should buy BB and launch a mainstream OS that focuses on Priv... uh, focuses on privacy.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-21 12:33 PM
    Chen was brought in at the behest of the BoD to dump devices after the epic failure of BB10.

It simply took 3 years to accomplish, as enterprise and automotive IoT software was ramped up.
    If this were true they sure faked it a long time and lied to the public a lot. And tried again with Android devices for good measure.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-21 12:38 PM
    If this were true they sure faked it a long time and lied to the public a lot. And tried again with Android devices for good measure.

Posted via CB10
    They didn't lie. They said they would keep making devices as long as it lead to profits. It didn't, and they knew it wouldn't, but so be it. They also had millions of dollars of supplier commitments to burn through.
    01-15-21 12:40 PM
    Yep pipe dream-

I have stripped down my Black Edition KeyOne and it is meeting my needs well. I have a A71 5G slab but I switched my SIM out a few weeks ago greatly missing the efficiency of PKB shortcuts, the tactical feel of the PKB and simplicity of BlackBerry's take on Android. (It is clean and really does kind of get out of its own way).

I disabled Chrome, use the Samsung browser with Duck Duck Go as search engine, AdBlock and the Pro version of NetGuard. It's a nice clean set up BUT I wouldn't mind less Google.
    the_boon likes this.
    01-15-21 12:42 PM
    With modern browsers on phones I'm not sure why you need some apps at all. If you go back a few years the goal was to deliver the functionality of an app through the browser. Now with HTML 5, browser notifications, etc I can't see why this can't be a reality for a lot of apps. Then you'd only have to develop server side once and it could be used on any device.. android, Apple, sailfish, etc without modification. Even on my ancient Z30 Facebook touch, instagram, LinkedIn, etc are all perfectly usable through the stock browser (but without notifications of course). Other than notifications there seems to be little difference between, say, Facebook lite and the browser touch version. Ok, so maybe some client side apps will always be required, e.g. standalone apps, etc, but given that phones are 'always connected' there seems a missed opportunity here.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-21 12:46 PM
    If BB had an App Store, and I posted an app there for buying and selling of underage children, BB would take my app down.

I'm not trying to compare Parler to a child store, but I'm pointing out that any App Store run by any company is going to have policies. It's just a question of where the line is drawn. If BB came out and said "anything goes", that would be a disaster.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 01-15-21 at 03:41 PM.
    01-15-21 02:01 PM
    If BB had an App Store, and I posted an app there for buying and selling of underage children, BB would take my app down.

I'm not trying to trying to compare Parler to a child store, but I'm pointing out that any App Store run by any company is going to have to have policies. It's just a question of where the line is drawn. If BB came out and said "anything goes", that would be a disaster.
    Yeah there is a fine line between freedom, and anarchy.
    01-15-21 02:36 PM
    So a couple of points:

1.) If I make an app for BB10, I can do all the same things that I can do on Android or iOS wrt tracking of users or looking at their camera pictures (if they have given me permission), tracking their location, uploading their pictures to my own server, etc. BB10 provides no magic protection against *any* of that. In fact, in reality, BB10 is *worse* than modern Android or iOS for multiple reasons, including the granularity of user permissions.

2.) The dream of HTML5 replacing apps is old. It goes along with the dream of replacing programming all together, also an old idea. Reality is different. Facebook is one company that went in that direction years ago, realized the limitations in reality, and then came back to native apps. So have some banks. I don't do app development any more, but when I did the data showed user engagement of apps vs webpages, the power consumption of apps vs webpages, the security/encryption facilities of apps vs webpages, etc.

Users want Touch ID or Face ID in their experience. Banks, car manufacturers, etc. want the additional security capabilities (the web has always had major security holes that client/server apps don't suffer from). Many apps use hardware integration (smart home apps, or health apps, for example) Customers appreciate the richness/fluidity/flexibility of native UI experiences. And most importantly, to get all this you only need to make 2 apps to reach 99.9% of the world. Even users who have alternative OSes, typically also own an Android or iOS device, and will run your app on that device.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 01-15-21 at 04:24 PM.
    rarsen likes this.
    01-15-21 03:57 PM

Attached Thumbnails New Opportunity for BlackBerry - The Time is Now-dead.jpg  
    01-15-21 05:15 PM
    Good point....with Apple and Google banning businesses from their Appstores and shutting them down, and Amazon joining in, there's no place to take your business in a free market economy (?) otherwise.....unless ...BB10? Could be 74million voters or maybe even more waiitng. Maybe that new phone from Texas should have BB10 on it somehow, afterall.
    SRG1 and app_Developer like this.
    01-16-21 03:13 AM
    I absolutely would.
    SRG1, brambleberry and bh7171 like this.
    01-16-21 07:58 AM
    I absolutely would.
    Regardless what people think, it won’t and can’t be with BB10 or BlackBerry Limited since BB10 can’t run on the new SOCs and there’s no economic or infrastructure resources anymore.

Any company that wants too, could just start from the ground up cheaper and spend less overall with fewer people. However, there doesn’t seem to be anyone with the economic resources interested.
    01-16-21 08:47 AM
    I'm finding it extremely difficult to understand how a new OS would save Parler or similar apps. If people want a free-for-all "anything goes" app store, then you need to build an App Store, not an operating system. Those are two completely different things. It's already extremely easy to build an Android app store. There are a few out there today.

And then you need to rent some colo space and rack up some servers, since Parler doesn't have a cloud provider anymore either.

This conversation feels like "OMG we're out of gas, we need to change the tires on the car!". You guys are solving the wrong problem, if your goal is a do-whatever-you-want sort of app experience.
    anon(10512033) likes this.
    01-16-21 08:53 AM
64 123