And call it a day.

There is no sense in making a whole new all touch Android these days. It would make more sense to make a deal with Samsung (due to their willingness to do partnerships with Blackberry) to customize their next A series mid range with the Blackberry logo and software.

My S6 looks more like an all touch replacement for my Bold 9900 than the Z30 did, save for the real glass back rather than a carbon fiber back. Good, solid hardware. If BlackBerry later wanted to release a high end all touch, just rebadge the S7...

Anyhow, this happens all the time with cars, electronics, and lots of other products, because it is cost effective.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-11-16 06:07 PM
    Yeah but they can't buy the internals to make an S7 for nearly as low of a price as Samsung can. I bet if it costs Samsung $200 to produce an S7, it would cost BlackBerry $400.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-16 08:08 PM
    Yeah but they can't buy the internals to make an S7 for nearly as low of a price as Samsung can. I bet if it costs Samsung $200 to produce an S7, it would cost BlackBerry $400.

Posted via CB10
    @tatwi isn't suggesting that BB build the same device. He's saying BB would be a reseller/partner, with BB branding on the device. These devices would roll off the normal Samsung lines.

Samsung would have to be convinced that BB would bring in sufficient incremental sales.

The other issue is the hardware root of trust. The Priv has this, and Samsung devices AFAIK do not. Does that change the perception of BB as an unrootable device?
    04-11-16 08:14 PM
    @tatwi isn't suggesting that BB build the same device. He's saying BB would be a reseller/partner, with BB branding on the device. These devices would roll off the normal Samsung lines.

Samsung would have to be convinced that BB would bring in sufficient incremental sales.

The other issue is the hardware root of trust. The Priv has this, and Samsung devices AFAIK do not. Does that change the perception of BB as an unrootable device?
    Yup, that's what I meant.

In terms of cars, here are some examples I remember... The Pontiac Vibe is a Toyota Matrix with slightly different body panels. The Asuna Sunfire and Geo Storm were both Isuzu Impulses, with the Asuna being a straight rebadge and the Sunfire having a cheaper suspension and different front and rear body. Ford Ranger is a Mazda. Eagle? That's Mitsubishi. And so on.

It wouldn't take much for Samsung to retool and run off 5% more of a product line with Blackberry branding, which would be plenty judging by BB's sales. They could probably do the extra root chip(s) pretty easily too.

Last edited by Tatwi; 04-13-16 at 11:00 PM.
    04-12-16 05:07 PM
    I'd like to see them partner with Xaomi for the hardware. They seem to have very cost-efficient manufacturing.

BlackBerry Classic non-camera, Cricket Wireless
    Tatwi likes this.
    04-12-16 06:08 PM
    And call it a day.

There is no sense in making a whole new all touch Android these days. It would make more sense to make a deal with Samsung (due to their willingness to do partnerships with Blackberry) to customize their next A series mid range with the Blackberry logo and software.

My S6 looks more like an all touch replacement for my Bold 9900 than the Z30 did, save for the real glass back rather than a carbon fiber back. Good, solid hardware. If BlackBerry later wanted to release a high end all touch, just rebadge the S7...

Anyhow, this happens all the time with cars, electronics, and lots of other products, because it is cost effective.

This is a very good idea. I wonder why BlackBerry hasn't tried it yet. Oh, they did try it with Foxconn. I think the device they chose to develop though was good but failed to meet customer expectations

Such a partnership with Samsung could bring better results and will definitely solve the issue of their hardware being dated at release. It's a win win situation. Samsung gets to rely less on Android and BlackBerry get phones with current hardware specs. Outsourcing the hardware division could help in bringing cost down and also reduce the time it takes to bring out new products.

BB10 or Nothing! BlackBerry Forever!
    Last edited by togarika; 04-21-16 at 02:22 AM.
    04-14-16 05:54 AM
    This is a great idea.

You listening Mr. Chen.

Do this and you will save your hardware division.

Go all touch all phones.

The old physical keyboard is done

Posted via CB10
    04-15-16 04:48 PM
    How would this benefit Samsung?

I can see clearly how it would benefit BlackBerry. But why would Samsung ever do this? Just to help BlackBerry? Uhhhhh

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB and TGR1 like this.
    04-15-16 05:00 PM
    How would this benefit Samsung?

I can see clearly how it would benefit BlackBerry. But why would Samsung ever do this? Just to help BlackBerry? Uhhhhh

Posted via CB10
    It would be a contract like any other contract. It's not like Samsung would make them for free.

Samsung is a more trusted source than Xiaomi and, with Knox, a more natural partner for Blackberry (they are already in a partnership).

04-15-16 07:42 PM
    It would be a contract like any other contract. It's not like Samsung would make them for free.

Samsung is a more trusted source than Xiaomi and, with Knox, a more natural partner for Blackberry (they are already in a partnership).

You think BlackBerry has the money to make it worthwhile for Samsung? Because they don't.

This idea makes no sense. It's fantasy. Never gonna happen.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB and TGR1 like this.
    04-15-16 08:16 PM
    Problem is BB has to secure the device and bootrom and rebadging would compromised that.
    04-15-16 08:23 PM
    Problem is BB has to secure the device and bootrom and rebadging would compromised that.
    More than a straight rebadge, less than a new device... :-D

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    04-15-16 09:41 PM
    Good points OP. I can see bb adding 200$ at least for "security". But I think a xiaomi would work better in this scenario.
    04-15-16 09:44 PM
    Good points OP. I can see bb adding 200$ at least for "security". But I think a xiaomi would work better in this scenario.
    It's got the Chinese / "Huawei" stigma. Anything from China MUST have spyware in it. Are you listening, Superfish, ahem Lenovo?

;-D

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    04-20-16 06:18 PM
    You think BlackBerry has the money to make it worthwhile for Samsung? Because they don't.

This idea makes no sense. It's fantasy. Never gonna happen.

Posted via CB10
    Samsung is also in the business of producing hardware products used in manufacturing phones. Direct sales of hardware will increase its revenue. The can take it a step up and produce complete devices short OS only.

Another aspect is OS options. Samsung tried to develop their own OS because they don't want rely solely on Android only. BB10 will give them options. An increase in BlackBerry sales of these devices will also increase revenue for Samsung. It's a win win.

04-21-16 02:32 AM
    Samsung is also in the business of producing hardware products used in manufacturing phones. Direct sales of hardware will increase its revenue. The can take it a step up and produce complete devices short OS only.

Another aspect is OS options. Samsung tried to develop their own OS because they don't want rely solely on Android only. BB10 will give them options. An increase in BlackBerry sales of these devices will also increase revenue for Samsung. It's a win win.

There is one major flaw in your idea. It has been reported that Tizen (Samsung's OS) has now a bigger market share than bb10.
    04-21-16 03:09 PM
    There is one major flaw in your idea. It has been reported that Tizen (Samsung's OS) has now a bigger market share than bb10.
    Source?

04-25-16 01:57 PM
    Source?

http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/5/96...e-market-share
    04-25-16 04:49 PM