One thing I've noticed about Blackberry users is that they don't complain so much about the new BBmo devices as they do about the OS. Many seem to hate Android. Period/Full stop.

It's that insidious spy on your life creepy Android / Google combo that puts Blackberrians off.

So, based on that, the most obvious choice is to buy an Iphone. The only mejor OS in the world putting up a fight against Android. But now it's not the OS that's the problem, it's the PKBless device...

Which one are you going to put up with?

You can't win can you?!!

Something I'm surprised about is why some techno-nerd billionaire hasn't stepped in to rescue the BB OS just to offer a 'Linux' type alternative OS not controlled by Apple/Google. In general, I'm surprised that there isn't space in this massive market for at least one small viable alternative OS player. And MS failed! ...

Be interested to hear your take on this?
    11-20-18 11:05 AM
    One thing I've noticed about Blackberry users is that they don't complain so much about the new BBmo devices as they do about the OS. Many seem to hate Android. Period/Full stop.

It's that insidious spy on your life creepy Android / Google combo that puts Blackberrians off.

So, based on that, the most obvious choice is to buy an Iphone. The only mejor OS in the world putting up a fight against Android. But now it's not the OS that's the problem, it's the PKBless device...

You can't win can you?!!

Something I'm surprised about is why some techno-nerd billionaire hasn't stepped in to rescue the BB OS just to offer a 'Linux' type alternative OS not controlled by Apple/Google. In general, I'm surprised that there isn't space in this massive market for at least one small viable alternative OS player. And MS failed! ...

No one is willing to invest the necessary tens of billions to develop a competitor because, at the end of the day, no one is really asking for it.

People are just fine with the existing duopoly, much like they are on laptops.

As far as Android putting off BlackBerry users, I see no reason to think that 85-88% of former users are not using Android - same as the global average. Frankly, Android is more akin to BB10/BBOS, due to the ability to customise the experience.
    Last edited by conite; 11-20-18 at 11:18 AM.
    11-20-18 11:07 AM
    No one is willing to invest the necessary tens of billions to develop a competitor because, at the end of the day, no one is really asking for it.

People are just fine with the existing duopoly, much like they are on laptops....
    Well. they are, but not in significant numbers. However, you don't need to ask before you launch. With a clever marketing plan and a lot of money, it could possibly be made viable. But that would need the likes of a Steve Jobs...
    So, are we saying that it's only a handful of nerds who give a damn?
    Last edited by Elite1; 04-29-19 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Quote repair
    11-20-18 11:12 AM
    "No one is willing to invest the necessary tens of billions to develop a competitor because, at the end of the day, no one is really asking for it. People are just fine with the existing duopoly, much like they are on laptops."

Well. they are, but not in significant numbers. However, you don't need to ask before you launch. With a clever marketing plan and a lot of money, it could possibly be made viable. But that would need the likes of a Steve Jobs...
    But you're not just talking about a device and an OS. You're talking about building a new ecosystem of apps and connected devices. The barrier to entry is now insurmountable until the next major technology disruption that is still beyond the horizon.

Microsoft spent $20+ billion dollars on its phones, and went nowhere. The Nokia writedown alone was $8 billion.

How can any potential 3rd platform manufacturer compete against other manufacturers that get their OS and ecosystem for free?

I think the Punkt MP02 is, however, a good example of a viable alternative. Phone, SMS, and some productivity tools - all locked down tight.
    Last edited by conite; 11-20-18 at 11:40 AM.
    11-20-18 11:21 AM
    "No one is willing to invest the necessary tens of billions to develop a competitor because, at the end of the day, no one is really asking for it. People are just fine with the existing duopoly, much like they are on laptops."

Maybe take a look at the example of Bill Gates.
    First off, his corporation BAILED OUT OF THE ALTERNATIVE PHONE/PHONE OS market.
    That, in itself is very telling.

Secondly, Bill worked like a dog to make his billions - I read that he regularly worked 16 hour days.

What is Bill investing his billions (his own billions) in these days? Trying to slow down the speed and impact of AIDS in Africa.

Frankly, I believe it's only a handful of nerds who give a damn.

And, YES, you DO need to ask before you launch! Otherwise, you are simply setting your money on fire - usually, anyways.
    11-20-18 12:05 PM

It may be more than a handful of people, just nowhere close to a number that would ever make it financially viable. You mentioned Linux. My understanding from my business perspective is that deep pocketed corporate technology benefactors help support Linux and don’t see any benefits to do the same in the mobile space.

For reference, I did just purchase iPhone XR but see no advantage over my BBAndroid KEYone.
    Martin Haughton likes this.
    11-20-18 12:12 PM
    In general, I'm surprised that there isn't space in this massive market for at least one small viable alternative OS player. And MS failed! ...
    There are alternative mobile OS options and various AOSP forks, the problem is those that want a third place OS aren't supporting them. I suspect these users may be underestimating just how much they actually need from iOS and Android.
    ppeters914 and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    11-20-18 07:34 PM
    People are just fine with the existing duopoly, much like they are on laptops.
    Google seems to have actually managed to break the laptop duopoly.
    11-20-18 07:49 PM
    Google seems to have actually managed to break the laptop duopoly.
    In fairness though, that's pretty much just a browser, and not a full-fledged OS.
    rthonpm likes this.
    11-20-18 07:53 PM
    In fairness though, that's pretty much just a browser, and not a full-fledged OS.
    I don't think that is really true anymore.
    anon(5597702) and BergerKing like this.
    11-20-18 07:57 PM
    It's easier to just learn to use virtual keyboards, which is what most people have done.
    11-20-18 09:56 PM
    BlackBerry hasn't really put together anything to show off QNX/BBOS 10. A few hundred QNX CDs that show off QNX and allow "hackers" to see what it can do on computer desktop might push it further along on Mobile too. BlackBerry is HORRIBLE at marketing. I look at a whole bunch of software names on their website and I haven't a CLUE what they do at face value. IF you goto the BlackBerry.com website for example where do you go to learn how to design an app for BlackBerry 10? OR even the BlackBerry Tablets? Where do you get buttons to put on your website that say "Download this software for BlackBerry 10" etc. BlackBerry isn't trying to make a dent in the market. Not even Microsoft got all their users to rush to Windows 10 as quickly as BlackBerry thinks all issues would have been ironed out of BlackBerry 10. BlackBerry never gave 10 a real shot.
    rarsen likes this.
    11-20-18 11:34 PM
    BlackBerry hasn't really put together anything to show off QNX/BBOS 10. A few hundred QNX CDs that show off QNX and allow "hackers" to see what it can do on computer desktop might push it further along on Mobile too. BlackBerry is HORRIBLE at marketing. I look at a whole bunch of software names on their website and I haven't a CLUE what they do at face value. IF you goto the BlackBerry.com website for example where do you go to learn how to design an app for BlackBerry 10? OR even the BlackBerry Tablets? Where do you get buttons to put on your website that say "Download this software for BlackBerry 10" etc. BlackBerry isn't trying to make a dent in the market. Not even Microsoft got all their users to rush to Windows 10 as quickly as BlackBerry thinks all issues would have been ironed out of BlackBerry 10. BlackBerry never gave 10 a real shot.
    You're way late. Party is over. BlackBerry announced BB10 EOL, plus all the Dev stuff was dropped a year or two ago.

BlackBerry doesn't care nor is there any business reason for them to.

I don't like it either, but that's the reality. Enjoy BB10 while you can.
    glwerry, BigAl_BB9900 and pn210000 like this.
    11-21-18 12:26 AM
    Here's an analogy for you.
    As part of its struggle to stay alive, General Motors (GM) axed entire car brands for the 2010 model year. Pontiac is an example.

If you stroll down to your local GM dealer and ask to see the new Pontiac line-up they will look at you as if you were stupid.
    It's the same for BB. They have announced the END OF LIFE for BB10, so why would they make ANY attempt to provide development tools / help for it?

Remember that they have already laid off the BB10 development people - so there is NOBODY to develop or support these tools.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    11-21-18 10:40 AM
    I forgot to mention: BB as a corporation is OUT of the phone business. So, they're not going to put any effort into the dead software like BB10.

Just NOT going to happen, and this does NOT detract from their software business at all, because all of the software they're selling is aimed at other markets.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    11-21-18 10:42 AM
    I don't think that is really true anymore.
    Agreed.
    11-22-18 05:55 AM
    As far as Android putting off BlackBerry users, I see no reason to think that 85-88% of former users are not using Android - same as the global average.
    I look at my local phone outlets and see about 10 manufacturers, selling about 30 devices. Most of them use some version of android. One of them makes one device that uses iOS. and even if I chose to use iOS I would still have to use Google one way or another so it's no better. I think a lot of people see it that way, which is why they (we) have moved to BB's hardened version of android.
    Sigewif likes this.
    11-22-18 10:44 AM
    I look at my local phone outlets and see about 10 manufacturers, selling about 30 devices. Most of them use some version of android. One of them makes one device that uses iOS. and even if I chose to use iOS I would still have to use Google one way or another so it's no better. I think a lot of people see it that way, which is why they (we) have moved to BB's hardened version of android.
    "BB's hardened version of Android" is a hoax. It's just a launcher and app suite (that they barely update).

Posted via CB10
    11-22-18 07:14 PM
    "BB's hardened version of Android" is a hoax. It's just a launcher and app suite (that they barely update).

Posted via CB10
    Untrue - and the app suite has nothing to do with the OS hardening and Integrity Detection.

http://help.blackberry.com/en/securi...y-Guide-en.pdf
    pn210000 and Martin Haughton like this.
    11-22-18 07:15 PM
    Untrue - and the app suite has nothing to do with the OS hardening and Integrity Detection.

http://help.blackberry.com/en/securi...y-Guide-en.pdf
    Lol @ quoting BlackBerry marketing materials as a source.
    Attached Thumbnails The natural next phone for BBOS and 10 users is obvious.-19230.jpg  
    Martin Haughton likes this.
    11-22-18 07:18 PM
    Lol @ quoting BlackBerry marketing materials as a source.
    What facts in the security guide are you disputing?
    11-22-18 07:20 PM
    What facts in the security guide are you disputing?
    All of them.
    11-22-18 07:21 PM
    All of them.
    Lol. OK.
    pn210000 likes this.
    11-22-18 07:21 PM
    Lol. OK.
    Good answer.
    I got the thread going to kick the OS theme around.
    In a market of billions there really only seems to be a market for two.
    As some have mentioned, it's not just an OS, Apps would have to develop 3 not 2 versions, with all that entails.....

So, if you want mobile and laptop life without Google, it really is Hobson's or JOBson's choice. But too few people give a crap...
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    11-23-18 11:26 AM

You can't win can you?!!

This would take someone with much more marketing acumen than current top management. Many have postulated this but are not well received in these forums, IMO.

Posted via CB10
    WiseEyes likes this.
    11-26-18 02:25 PM
180 123 ...