That's been true for the past five years, certainly. We'll see what happens over the next several years. I would be surprised if the privacy market isn't 10x the size of the PKB market.

The Punkt phone is inadequate without access to things like corporate email.
    The moment you bring email into the picture, you've now become a full OS. Viewing and sharing attachments are next level activities.

So now we're just back to Android or iOS.
    drobbie likes this.
    02-17-19 10:04 AM
    The moment you bring email into the picture, you've now become a full OS. Viewing and sharing attachments are next level activities.

Unless you’re using the browser webmail version of Lotus Notes....
    02-17-19 10:08 AM
    Likewise, as soon as you bring the required full-fledged browser into the picture, you need a real OS.
    02-17-19 10:11 AM

Agree 100%. No need to reinvent the wheel. It's easier to strip stuff out of Android than build something new.
    02-17-19 10:32 AM
    Maybe there is a Punkt.MP03 coming...In cooperation with also Swiss-based Protonmail and -also Swiss-based- Threema...both their servers are in the swiss alps... Adula...
    02-17-19 10:56 AM
    Maybe there is a Punkt.MP03 coming...In cooperation with also Swiss-based Protonmail and -also Swiss-based- Threema...both their servers are in the swiss alps... Adula...
    I thought about that when I saw the device name.
    02-17-19 01:18 PM
    Lotus Notes? Wow: now we're really making BBOS look cutting edge. Can I get a sync cable that needs a serial connection to go with that?
    ppeters914 likes this.
    02-17-19 01:48 PM
    Likewise, as soon as you bring the required full-fledged browser into the picture, you need a real OS.
    So ...... oh well
    02-17-19 05:21 PM
    Lotus Notes? Wow: now we're really making BBOS look cutting edge. Can I get a sync cable that needs a serial connection to go with that?
    Than what do I use for my PDA with laptop aircard combo?
    ppeters914 likes this.
    02-17-19 05:23 PM
    I went with iPhone for the privacy and better quality experience OP. I’m very happy with my iPhone XS Max. I did try android for awhile but I had bad luck with my devices and I don’t like googles lack of respect for privacy. That’s just me though. Everyone is different.
    02-17-19 05:26 PM
    I went with iPhone for the privacy and better quality experience OP. I’m very happy with my iPhone XS Max. I did try android for awhile but I had bad luck with my devices and I don’t like googles lack of respect for privacy. That’s just me though. Everyone is different.
    IPhone is certainly better at privacy in general. Unfortunately, I can't agree with you on the overall experience. I find iOS incredibly frustrating to use. It never does the simple things I want to do in a simple way.

For example, I can't easily download an MIT license mp4 video to local storage so that I can watch it on the subway with no network connection, without using a synced cloud storage service. My 8 year old PlayBook does that perfectly, as does my BB10 devices, Android devices and every PC for the past 20 years.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    02-17-19 06:18 PM
    What is an MIT (assuming Massachusetts institute of tech) license MP3 and where can I find one to try to download? Is that your one issue? Very specific need. But I guess if it is one and if it doesn’t work then you chose what works for you.
    02-17-19 06:49 PM
    IPhone is certainly better at privacy in general. Unfortunately, I can't agree with you on the overall experience. I find iOS incredibly frustrating to use. It never does the simple things I want to do in a simple way.

For example, I can't easily download an MIT license mp4 video to local storage so that I can watch it on the subway with no network connection, without using a synced cloud storage service. My 8 year old PlayBook does that perfectly, as does my BB10 devices, Android devices and every PC for the past 20 years.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    I prefer how iOS integrates with my Sonos speakers and music and video streaming services. Generally, I have had a easier time hooking up to a public Wifi vs an Android (just like my BlackBerry). Messaging and FaceTime works great as my entire extended family is on iOS. I prefer the locked in nature of the OS and the ease and reliability of OS updates. I find the OS to be intuitive and like that the phone and OS are made by the same OEM.

I do not think that iOS is better than Android or visa versa but since I am invested in this ecosystem, I will likely stay in it. If BlackBerry still made phones, I might have stayed with them.
    02-17-19 09:49 PM

I do not think that iOS is better than Android or visa versa but since I am invested in this ecosystem, I will likely stay in it. If BlackBerry still made phones, I might have stayed with them.
    So, was the BlackBerry-designed Wistron-built Priv that much better constructed than say, the BlackBerry-specced TCL-built DTEK60, or the TCL designed and built KEY²?

I find the distinctions rather immaterial.

Personally, I think the KEY² is the best of the bunch.
    02-17-19 09:57 PM
    Chen never specified that it should be for BB10. Only that he thinks someone should make a Bold-like device... and that's it.

It was an off-the-cuff remark that somehow seemed to have taken for gospel.
    While it is true that he did not explicitly say "for BB10," it adds up to that when considering what is proposed for the future of BB10. I wouldn't call it too much of an off-the-cuff remark when he took his time to talk about it -- regardless of him saying that he was making it up as he went along. FAR from Gospel; just interesting. He did specify it to be a 9900 Bold-like device. I'd like to see it, too.

Posted via CB10 with Z10 swagger!
    Last edited by WiseEyes; 02-18-19 at 12:01 PM.
    02-17-19 11:01 PM
    No one is willing to invest the necessary tens of billions to develop a competitor because, at the end of the day, no one is really asking for it.

People are just fine with the existing duopoly, much like they are on laptops.

As far as Android putting off BlackBerry users, I see no reason to think that 85-88% of former users are not using Android - same as the global average. Frankly, Android is more akin to BB10/BBOS, due to the ability to customise the experience.
    I was a BBOS user who switched to Windows Phone and then to Android. The main reason I chose Android rather than iOS is because I wanted the ability to customise my devices, rather than being stuck with the features that were present in iOS.
    02-18-19 01:23 AM
    While it is true that he did not explicitly say "for BB10," it adds up to that when considering what up proposed for the future of BB10. I wouldn't call it too much of an off-the-cuff remark when he took his time to talk about it -- regardless of him saying that he was making it up as he went along. FAR from Gospel; just interesting. He did specify it to be a 9900 Bold-like device. I'd like for see it, too.

How long has it been since he said that?

Future of BB10... time has pass, will live on in other products like the suite of apps.

9900 Bold like device... JIO Phone 2 (JIO Phone 3 dropped the PKB) , few Go Fund Me products out there? I suspect that BBMo has the PKB market cornered for the most part, and it's not like they are getting rich off of it.

That a few here want something, doesn't make it a viable product.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    02-18-19 08:11 AM
    And speaking of selling an incrementally upgraded phone like Apple or Android, why hasn't Blackberry thought for a moment to sell a new BBOS device since it was their last Blockbuster hit? Just sell it at a higher price to make it worth.
    Sorry. I had a Torch 9810, then a Classic then a PRIV and now a K2.

I CANNOT go backwards to a BB0S (7) - type phone, it just would not have the apps that I use day to day.
    It's very cool that your company has been so successful and I hope the success continues.
    For me and my corporation, we have moved on to apps that are not available on the pre-Android OSs.
    02-18-19 08:57 AM
    So, was the BlackBerry-designed Wistron-built Priv that much better constructed than say, the BlackBerry-specced TCL-built DTEK60, or the TCL designed and built KEY²?

I find the distinctions rather immaterial.

Personally, I think the KEY² is the best of the bunch.
    Interesting - I just moved from a PRIV (battery was collapsing) to a KEY2 - it had to be ordered and when it showed up it had 6 GIG of main memory and 64 G of storage. Speed an batter life (without any optimizing by me) is AMAZING - I regularly go 2 full days without charging, although I don't do a lot of screen time - email / text is primary usage.

I would agree that the KEY2 is a REALLY good piece of machinery.
    WiseEyes likes this.
    02-18-19 09:00 AM
    https://www.recode.net/2018/4/19/172...ode-transcript

Talk to Chen. He saw a potential market for it.

02-18-19 10:05 AM
    https://www.recode.net/2018/4/19/172...ode-transcript

Talk to Chen. He saw a potential market for it.

But he was lead there by the interviewer and he just went along with it. He didn't say they were looking into it or had done any market research or had someone in talks. But a $150 - $200 secure device.... that was a fantasy! Look at the BBMo devices, look at the Punkt phone. Chen was just talking...
    02-18-19 10:27 AM
    Well, one way or the other, he entertained the idea, & while you have your perspective, I would like to see such a device. The market works in cycles; cloud technology was introduced & reintroduced to the market more than three times before it caught on (& there are those who still don't care for it). The market is often moved by consumers -- the same consumers who buy what you like & buy what I like. Only the individual speaks for an independent thinker -- while sheep follow the crowd. There is still a crowd there -- & the available numbers belie product knowledge. So often, crowds of people have asked me where they could get a phone like my Passport SE. They really like those physical keys. Regardless of your argument, I have seen how people try to keep people from even thinking about a BlackBerry & how receptive so many have been -- from coast to coast. I have no qualm with you; we simply disagree.

Last edited by WiseEyes; 02-18-19 at 02:06 PM.
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    02-18-19 12:00 PM
    Well, one way links the other, he entertained the idea, & while you have your perspective, I would like to see such a device. The market works in cycles; cloud technology was introduced & reintroduced to the market more than three times before it caught on (& there are those who still don't care for it). The market is often moved by consumers -- the same consumers who buy what you like & buy what I like. Only the individual speaks for an independent thinker -- while sheep follow the crowd. There is still a crowd there -- & the available numbers belie product knowledge. So often, crowds of people have asked me where they could get a phone like my Passport SE. They really like those physical keys. Regardless of your argument, I have seen how people try to keep people from even thinking about a BlackBerry & how receptive so many have been -- from coast to coast. I have no qualm with you; we simply disagree.

There is nothing stopping anyone from taking Android AOSP, and then scaling & locking it down. Look at the Punkt.

The trick is to add email services without compromising the handling, viewing, interacting, and sharing of a multitude of attachment types. I think that pretty much brings us back to BlackBerry Android and the KEY².
    WiseEyes likes this.
    02-18-19 12:02 PM
    Although that sounds like the old BlackPhone way, I do agree that it is possible -- just as it's possible that they'll just use what's already there, vetted, & precedented (using BlackBerry Secure) just like app developers often use the SDKs that are already out there.

02-18-19 12:08 PM
    Well, one way links the other, he entertained the idea, & while you have your perspective, I would like to see such a device. The market works in cycles; cloud technology was introduced & reintroduced to the market more than three times before it caught on (& there are those who still don't care for it). The market is often moved by consumers -- the same consumers who buy what you like & buy what I like. Only the individual speaks for an independent thinker -- while sheep follow the crowd. There is still a crowd there -- & the available numbers belie product knowledge. So often, crowds of people have asked me where they could get a phone like my Passport SE. They really like those physical keys. Regardless of your argument, I have seen how people try to keep people from even thinking about a BlackBerry & how receptive so many have been -- from coast to coast. I have no qualm with you; we simply disagree.

I don't disagree that there are many who want or might want a PKB phone.

Just don't think you'll get a secure BlackBerry PKB for $200 (not a current new device - sales of which are still relevant to the company).

I think what BBMo is doing, is the best that can be achieved with the PKB design along with BlackBerry's Secure treatment of Android (and licensing fees).

BB10 is history.
    WiseEyes and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    02-18-19 01:33 PM
180 ... 23456 ...