Before we start, let me just say that Blackberry's Management and Barbara Stymiest are incompetent. They are all rejects from other companies...ok, now that I got that off my chest, here is my wacky idea.

Blackberry should sell itself to a consortium of Global Telcos (1-2 in each country - e.g. Verizon + Sprint in the US). If 25 Telcos pitch in $500,000,000 each, you would end up with a $12.5B valuation. In fairness, the US Telcos would have to pay more. So, why should the Telcos do the deal...

1) In your region, you now have a phone that your competitors cannot offer
    2) This phone caters to the lucrative enterprise and security conscious segment
    3) You benefit from the investment every Telco puts into the platform - e.g. power of Vodafone and Verizon both pushing BBRY hard
    4) You may shift the balance of power with the Platform players; AAPL takes lots of profit and GOOG wants to get into the telco space
    5) You unlock the value of BB10 (great mobile computing platform) by jointly investing in the capabilities it needs to thrive.

Yes, you would have problems, like ensuring collaboration among all the Telcos...but these problems can be managed and the value of vertical integration seems compelling.

Benefits for Blackberry are massive. You get a great valuation AND you get to continue building phones and expanding on your mobile computing plans.

I think the Board has some good minds (Tim) and this idea will surely be considered, assuming its remotely possible. If not, I'd encourage the Board to think of other ways to grow its value...and this includes hurting industry profitability so that one of your competitors feels the need to 'take you out'. What do I mean? Perhaps BBRY becomes the OS for the Chinese Manufacturers and helps flood the market with cheap chinese goods...unlike Android, we promise not to compete on the hardware side and perhaps give the Chinese more power over the OS.

Anyway, think out of the box Tim. Thorsten, Barbara, and Mike have dug a grave for us and some of us shareholders would rather not jump in.
    09-03-13 07:20 PM
    I'm not seeing them jumping to get a phone that sells in single digit percents in terms of market share probably less in some countries. Then there is the fact that Verizon is buying 45% of Verizon Wireless from Vodofone for 130 billion. That puts the verizon wireless value at what, 260 billion or so. They should get into the business of making phones and stuff for a half billion stake shared by their competitors?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by GadgetTravel; 09-03-13 at 09:17 PM. Reason: I cant believe I typed millions rather than billions - Freudian?
    09-03-13 08:11 PM
    GadgetTravel, you should check your numbers. How much is Vodafone paying for its stake in Verizon?
    09-03-13 08:51 PM
    GadgetTravel, you should check your numbers. How much is Vodafone paying for its stake in Verizon?
    Duh, billion. That is what I meant. Which is why they wouldnt be interested in a half a billion dollar cut to be partners with all of their competitors.
    09-03-13 09:17 PM
    the model that carriers have of buying phones then reselling them to customers is by far a better risk strategy from the carrier perspective.

No carrier would want that risk on their portfolio, that's before you even look at how messy it could get, carriers aren't exactly known for being in the `we're all friends` club lol. the amount of red tape, politicking and worse would be intolerable and carrier partners would leave. why do you think google don't have that approach with android and its handset partners? they know its far better to bake the cake and let the manufacturers ice it afterwards (for lack of a better analogy).

Even if it was financially viable, the risks involved would make it a no go.
    09-03-13 09:23 PM
    Respectfully, I think it should go back into the box. Blackberry is not down because of management,....I personally think that management has down well given the cards dealt! Blackberry is down because of competition! The smartphone industry is very competitive,...just like the TV, Washer 'n Dry, Hair Spray, Fast Food, Entertainment and a host of may other industries. The Japanese are playing a card that has worked very well fro them for many years,....flood the market initially with lower priced inferior products,...and once you divide the market share,...start using 'capitol' to make product improvements. This is by means a slam on folks in Japan,...but if you take any economics course, this is their business model. Samsung is really trying to get to 100% market share,....but who isn't, but Sammy wants all of our dollars to march across the pond. They'd then take that wealth to buy real wealth,...like land, buildings, businesses, etc. Now I know that 998 of you will say that I'm wrong,...well, if I'm wrong, then just look back 20 years ago and see what the electronics landscape looks like. Does RCA, Zenith, Magnavox ring a bell? Now, does Samsung mfr quality products now. Sure they do,..they have to just as other mfrs. The answer to the unasked question is how did they do it. The tech industry is experiencing a "changing of the guard",...a change in the consumer! Many young kids to day cut their teeth on Android,..even when Android really sucked,...they still bought inferior products,...bad screens, very short battery life,...constant OS crashes,...more bugs than the roach motel. Yet, Android still proliferated. Why! Because of many reason, but one is that the young generation is not loyal to anything or anyone,...they will sway away easy. They didn't like Blackberry because they didn't think that BB understood them. Heck, I initially hated BBs. I hated BBs because I had 'zero' understanding of the total capabilities of BBs. Once I realized how a BB could improve my business bottom line it became quite clear which device was for me. But hey, I'm not a kid,...kids care less about what a phone can do for a business they don't own. They just want to listen to music,...play games and hit up their friends on fb. It's going to be quite interesting to see what the smartphone looks like some 5, 10, 15 years from now. Time will tell. That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it.

Edit! I could be wrong!!
    09-03-13 11:19 PM