The problem is you have it completely backwards. BlackBerry has chosen to be irrelevant and continue declining by adopting android.
    They had problems with adoption but it had nothing to do with the size of the ecosystem or number of apps. It had to do with company culture and marketing.
    Actually it had *everything* to do with the ecosystem size and number of apps. Look at Meego, Sailfish, FirefoxOS and Tizen - no apps, no consumer and developer mindshare, no future. Even Windows 10 Mobile survives only on the drip-feeding of cash and resources from desktop monopolist Microsoft.

BlackBerry were arrogant enough to believe that developers would come to them. They should have realized how much effort Apple and Google went through to make their platforms developer-friendly and to attract big name developers. In hindsight, I think BB10 could have had wider adoption if it didn't use the closed-source Cascades framework and just went with straight Qt4/Qt5. In a sense, they reinvented the wheel for Qt on mobile when a lot of work had already been done by Nokia for Qt on Symbian and Meego. Qt Quick or QML allows for much easier and faster app development compared to Android and iOS but it was always stuck on marginal platforms.
    03-08-16 09:26 PM
    Actually it had *everything* to do with the ecosystem size and number of apps. Look at Meego, Sailfish, FirefoxOS and Tizen - no apps, no consumer and developer mindshare, no future. Even Windows 10 Mobile survives only on the drip-feeding of cash and resources from desktop monopolist Microsoft.

BlackBerry were arrogant enough to believe that developers would come to them. They should have realized how much effort Apple and Google went through to make their platforms developer-friendly and to attract big name developers. In hindsight, I think BB10 could have had wider adoption if it didn't use the closed-source Cascades framework and just went with straight Qt4/Qt5. In a sense, they reinvented the wheel for Qt on mobile when a lot of work had already been done by Nokia for Qt on Symbian and Meego. Qt Quick or QML allows for much easier and faster app development compared to Android and iOS but it was always stuck on marginal platforms.

Spot on - Google even to this days spend a lot resources in making sure that developers are familiar with all of the web and developers tools that they provide. End users see Google Maps and Search to excellent services but developers use them all the time for their apps as well.

Google IO to us is just a week long Google convention but behind those announcements and press releases are training sessions, webinars and classes to train/teach app developers about using Google latest developers tools and services. Simply forking out money, sending out apis to developers and making cheesy music videos does not convince developers to make apps for a particular os.
    Last edited by Ronindan; 03-25-16 at 07:22 PM.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    03-09-16 05:37 AM
    Excellent post. Thank you!

Posted via CB10
    03-09-16 06:12 PM
    Don't blame Bob for trying to be helpful here, but it is too late. What disappoints me the most is the BB attitude, whenever they need to show what they are made off they take easy way out, give up!! Instead of listening they are ignorant. Yes, BB10 is / was full of potentials but BB killed it, not consumers. Consumers did not try to sell half baked playbook to themselves, BB did. Consumers did not gave up on BB, but BB gave up on them. They were delusional that business people and decision makers would not give up on them. Now they say who cares for device business, we sell security. Do they think average person gives a crap about security? Hell no! They want their apps! It is matter of time before someone (read android or apple or Microsoft) comes up with decent security and they will be gone forever. But again they ignore that or they are blind...

They still think that pkb is a such a big deal? No it is not! They should get rid of pkb. They did every single thing wrong and it is miracle that they are not long gone already...The truth is we believed in them more then they believed in themselves. Most of us including OP is so angry that they destroyed such a great product...
    btw. Don't think android is gonna help. They are out of device business by the end of this year, if not sooner
    Excuse me but ML/TH/RIM killed BB10 and the handset division way before JC showed up.

It was junk until the last 12-18 months; to little to late. Millions of Legacy users proves this otherwise they would have converted long ago.

I only "now" love BB10 in the Classic but the lack of apps makes it only a email, text and work phone. But my 9900 does the same thing for less money. No I never tried the Passport. But I do have a dead PlayBook and a Z10.

Never knew what I was missing on android apps until the PRIV.

Time for naysayers to move on.
    03-09-16 06:56 PM
    Unless you're hiding a time machine, it's too late to push BB10 past less than one percent market share.
    BB is working on a time machine right now.
    03-09-16 07:17 PM
    Excuse me but ML/TH/RIM killed BB10 and the handset division way before JC showed up.

It was junk until the last 12-18 months; to little to late. Millions of Legacy users proves this otherwise they would have converted long ago.

I only "now" love BB10 in the Classic but the lack of apps makes it only a email, text and work phone. But my 9900 does the same thing for less money. No I never tried the Passport. But I do have a dead PlayBook and a Z10.

Never knew what I was missing on android apps until the PRIV.

Time for naysayers to move on.
    Not sure how this relates to what I wrote. But anyway, since you talk about first BB10 released, do you by any chance remember the first android release or even iphone?? It was crap? But it was competing against BB legacy devices so it looked ok, with touch screen etc. But honest to God they were way worse then BB10 ever did.
    03-10-16 11:42 AM
    Not sure how this relates to what I wrote. But anyway, since you talk about first BB10 released, do you by any chance remember the first android release or even iphone?? It was crap? But it was competing against BB legacy devices so it looked ok, with touch screen etc. But honest to God they were way worse then BB10 ever did.
    I had 2 iPhones and bought 3 Samsung for my wife. With all due respect, BB10 was not ready when it was released and it is what killed Blackberry. To little to late. BB07's BIS revenue what supported BlackBerry
    03-10-16 06:08 PM
    I had 2 iPhones and bought 3 Samsung for my wife. With all due respect, BB10 was not ready when it was released and it is what killed Blackberry. To little to late. BB07's BIS revenue what supported BlackBerry
    If anything could have saved their device division it was BB10 and not another android device on the market...That's all I am saying. Do you think there are millions and millions people that would rather have Priv then an Iphone or Samsung or lg or .... for the same money? Sadly but game is over.
    Last edited by fadmin; 03-11-16 at 06:43 AM.
    Killjoyhere likes this.
    03-11-16 06:16 AM
    It is called Time to move on !
    Mr4aces likes this.
    03-11-16 06:46 AM
    Hypervisor?
    JeepBB and app_Developer like this.
    03-11-16 06:50 AM
    Might as well feed some other crazy rumors. IoT .... T is for Time
    03-11-16 12:22 PM
    I�d like to revisit the open letter I wrote to BlackBerry a while ago since a few things have changed since then. Although BlackBerry hasn�t exactly disowned BB10, they�ve practically thrown it to the curb, and I think that�s terribly undeserved. It isn�t too late to save the BlackBerry 10 platform (and it�s worth saving), but the window is rapidly closing. They have the money to make the suggested changes below � they just need the will�

BLACKBERRY, DON�T THROW AWAY YOUR MOST VALUABLE ASSET!
    OK, I'm late to this thread, but thank-you Bob for your note. While this isn't my field, I appreciate the thought that you put into your note. As an OS10 user from the beginning, I agree with your assessment.

[Ignore the louts. The rise of know-nothingism is alarming, but predictable. We must all fight against the vocalisation of ignorance. The best method is to simply to deny it the acknowledgement it seeks.]

Posted via CB10
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    03-12-16 11:02 AM
    OK, I'm late to this thread, but thank-you Bob for your note. While this isn't my field, I appreciate the thought that you put into your note. As an OS10 user from the beginning, I agree with your assessment.

[Ignore the louts. The rise of know-nothingism is alarming, but predictable. We must all fight against the vocalisation of ignorance. The best method is to simply to deny it the acknowledgement it seeks.]

Posted via CB10
    Apparently, 99% of the mobile phone market are "know-nothings."

Posted via my BlackBerry Priv. STV100-1.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-12-16 02:33 PM
    Apparently, 99% of the mobile phone market are "know-nothings."
    And louts apparently. I wonder if you'll get a response, or whether that would constitute giving you the "acknowledgment you seek"?

Yup, CB gets crazier by the day.
    Killjoyhere and anon(9188202) like this.
    03-12-16 03:31 PM
    I didn't read all of your letter but I do agree that ios is a complete UI mess. Especially on the ipad where the multitasking is just awful or having to exit apps to change it's settings. I mean it works but that's about all I can say that's positive about it as it's just not elegant at all.

I do think the bb10/webos ui are both tops of ui design but unfortunately we live in a dumbed down world where people need buttons staring them in the face to function. I've accepted the android ui finally with 5.0 but I still wouldn't consider it superior besides having more customization and more resources being thrown at it.
    03-12-16 04:31 PM

Long live BlackBerry. Long live Android.

Posted via the BlackBerry Priv�
    I don't know about Android, but for BlackBerry is actually being a long death.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-16 06:36 AM
    I�d like to revisit the open letter I wrote to BlackBerry a while ago since a few things have changed since then. Although BlackBerry hasn�t exactly disowned BB10, they�ve practically thrown it to the curb, and I think that�s terribly undeserved. It isn�t too late to save the BlackBerry 10 platform (and it�s worth saving), but the window is rapidly closing. They have the money to make the suggested changes below � they just need the will�

I hope I�m not proceeding from a false assumption that BlackBerry isn�t selling as many Android-based phones as they had hoped. But even if the Priv is pretty successful, there are many reasons to consider a recommitment to BB10, technical and otherwise. This isn�t meant to be a complete mobile operating system comparison, merely my overall feeling about the current situation. I�m pretty busy right now, so I can�t respond in a timely fashion, but please feel free to correct any misstatements I�ve made.

First, the technical. Consider this: BB10 is based on QNX, an operating system used in bullet trains, nuclear power stations and space systems. Combined with BlackBerry�s security, this is BY FAR the best mobile operating system ever created by man.

Although others have criticized BB10�s user interface, I find it fast and efficient, especially the app switcher. No other platform can beat BB10�s simple gestures. (webOS had it, but, well, sigh�) You can operate BB10 without ever having to press buttons (virtual or otherwise), which means you never need to *look* for buttons. You can even optionally turn on the display with a single swipe. Switching apps is instantaneous. One great feature of BB10 is that you can do a �partial swipe-up� to highlight the status bar (which is otherwise partly obscured by the background image). If you swipe-up and hold your thumb on the screen, BB10 will underlay the status bar on top with a black bar to make it easier to see the date/time and battery status. Also, you can do a swipe-up and partial swipe to the right to catch a glimpse of the BlackBerry Hub in case you just want to see what new notifications are there. If, while still keeping your thumb on the screen, you swipe left and release, the Hub will be hidden again and you�ll remain where you were. While this sort of operation can be done with other platforms using the pull-down notification bar, it�s obviously easier to do this from the bottom.

BB10 is hardcore stable. I�ve gone *weeks* without having to reboot it. I can�t say that about any other mobile OS I�ve used. Usually, I only have to reboot it if I�m having a Bluetooth issue, but hey, Bluetooth.

As for the iPhone, Apple has packed on more and more features, but many have described the current UI as a �mess�. Much of it is unintuitive. They had to add a new gesture to make it easier to switch apps; clearly, they didn�t do it right the first time. Under the hood, iOS is fairly efficient, but most iOS apps were written with Objective C. This language uses message passing rather than method calling and this opens up a number of vulnerabilities. This is one of the reasons Apple created Swift. In the meantime, hackers can exploit Objective C (and have). Over the years, Apple has added restrictions to iOS to harden it against attack, but many feel they�ve gone too far (e.g., Swype-style keyboard restrictions, email attachments, etc). Do I need to mention the iTunes requirement? One of the most reviled software programs of all time. (Full disclosure: I�m currently using iTunes to play podcasts on Windows 10 until Grover Pro�s bugs are worked out. It isn�t bad for that, at least� )

Google has improved Android significantly over the years, but the vast majority of apps require a virtual machine runtime which imposes delays due to garbage collection, isolation, authentication, etc. And Android apps are written in Java, which has been plagued with security problems for years. I don�t need to document the field day hackers have had in the Google Play Store. Conversely, most BlackBerry apps are natively written and are managed directly by the BB10 operating system. Apps running on newer Android phones are still prone to crash unceremoniously, and the dreaded �Google Play Services has stopped� error is still a common sighting. And one problem I�m still hearing from people using newer flagships is that Google still hasn�t fixed the slows-down-over-time problem, despite adding a NAND flash RAM system fix. I think this is inherent in Android itself. My BlackBerry Z30 hasn�t exhibited this problem, despite being at least 18 months old.

Regarding the Android-based Priv, BlackBerry had to add security mechanisms to bring it up to muster, but it remains to be seen how successful this was. It�s like putting lipstick on a pig. BB10 was written from the ground up to accommodate BlackBerry�s legendary security � no compromises.

Windows 10 Mobile relies on Microsoft�s Universal Windows Platform runtime which is .NET based and is similar to Java. Apps are first converted into bytecode, then compiled to machine language. While compiled bytecode is fairly efficient, it can�t beat a true, native compiled app. And the app switching paradigm is *terrible* on Windows Mobile. So, let me get this straight. You have to locate the tiny Back button. Then you have to press and hold it? Wait, I didn�t hold it long enough? Oops, let�s try that again. Ok, so I got it right this time. Now, since only one full app tile is being shown to me at a time, I have to swipe and swipe until I find the app I want and then I can finally activate it. Yay! How easy! Sarcasm aside, it�s easier to just hit the Home button (if you can find it) and re-select the tile. That is, if you can find the tile (it�s often way down the home screen and possibly transparent).

BB10 also blows Apple and Microsoft out of the water in various other ways. I can put a TrueCrypt volume on my Z30, and mount it directly from my PC and use any file manager or sync tool I want. (Windows Mobile allows you to cut/copy/paste files to/from your PC, but you can�t mount a file system. Apple doesn�t allow you to cut/copy/paste at all. It�s iTunes or go home.) BlackBerry managed to make this work securely. When the phone is connected thus, you�re prohibited from accessing system volumes. Everything is secure behind encryption and/or compartmentalization, and you can even manually set up IP ranges or MAC addresses if you want. As far as Android is concerned, it wasn�t until Marshmallow was released that Google took app permissions seriously. BB10 has allowed users to restrict individual app permissions from day one (if I�m not mistaken). Windows 10 Mobile doesn�t appear to let you modify permissions at all (other than to prohibit individual apps from running in the background). (Obviously, Android apps running on BB10 pose a privacy risk, which is why I�d like to see Android support go away eventually.)

With the exception of app availability (which isn�t as terrible as some say), BlackBerry offers a great alternative to their competitors, combining great hardware variation, user-friendly operation, great PC integration, great hardcore security (both in-device and when connected to said companion devices via USB or WiFi), respect from corporate leaders and governments all over the world, a commitment to keep your data secure, great corporate account integration and increasing Enterprise capabilities. Since BB10 is QNX-based, it would be easy for BlackBerry to add real-time virtual reality headset, wearable or IoT interaction using the new low-energy WiFi standard coming along. (I�ve used Bluetooth enough to not trust it for that.)

Many of the problems with BlackBerry�s competitors� solutions can be fixed by them, but BlackBerry can (and must) also make several changes. These changes are necessary if they don�t want to be relegated to the same junk-heap as Commodore, Atari, and Palm. (Sorry, but several of my previous suggestions still stand�)

1)Write an iOS-to-BB10 bridge, like Microsoft is doing for Windows 10 Mobile. They should start with Objective C rather than Swift (since the majority of iOS apps are written in the former language), and add Swift support afterwards. I used to work for a company that (prior to my arrival) had written a mainframe program that automatically rewrote COBOL spaghetti code into readable code (removing GOTO's, etc). If this can be done, an iOS-to-BB10 bridge can be done.

2)Get Microsoft/Xamarin to add BB10 support to the Visual Studio/Xamarin platform. Pay them and/or donate developers to the cause to get this done. (I know there�s a Visual Studio plug-in available, but it doesn�t look like it�s been updated for a while�) If Microsoft incorporates Xamarin�s features and functionality into Visual Studio at little to no cost, many developers will jump on board when building new apps. Why wouldn�t they? A single codebase to target *every* platform? If Microsoft isn�t willing to play ball, BlackBerry could still write a UWP-to-BB10 bridge. All code in Visual Studio is textual (XAML for the front-end, C#, C++, BASIC or Javascript for the code behind � everything except for resources like graphics).

3)Add Continuum functionality to BB10. Of all the mobile operating systems out there, BB10 is the closest to being a real personal computer (at least in terms of security and robustness). BlackBerry Blend already allows for much of this, but Continuum would be a natural extension. Many (all?) BB10 devices already support HDMI, but Continuum adds additional necessary functionality like allowing for an expanded desktop, use of the phone as a touchpad, etc. Obviously, BlackBerry would have to call it something other than Continuum, say Heads Up.

4)Release a high-quality 5.7" or 6� flagship phone with a horizontal slider keyboard. Sorry, putting Android on a phone that has that tiny cramped portrait keyboard on it doesn't make it any more palatable for me, or likely millions of other people who want a pain-free typing experience. I�ve said it before: BlackBerry has enough experience (and patents) to make a horizontal slider actually work. A 5.7� phone with a horizontal slider keyboard would be HEAVENLY! They shouldn�t worry about weight, but thickness. A thick but light phone won�t work in tight pants, but a thin, heavy one will. The Passport was a good stopgap, but I think the keyboard is still too small. Many people let hardware drive their purchasing decisions, so it�s critical that BlackBerry have something powerful, easy to use, and striking. This would do it.

5)Since Android support will likely be required for the near future to cover the �app-gap�, they shouldn�t bother bumping up the Android runtime (for BB10 devices) to Lollipop or Marshmallow. Instead, they should beef up the ability to handle Google Play Store API calls. The iOS bridge and Xamarin goals are far better long-term solutions than maintaining the dead weight of Android, but we need the compatibility in the meantime. Chasing the Play Store API is futile in the long run, but it�s worth it in the short term. Many apps won�t even run if they don�t see they have Play Store access. (If I were BlackBerry, I would cut off Android support by the end of 2018. The aforementioned bridges (plus some developer consideration) will take over after that. BlackBerry can offer incentives to make this happen)

6)They need to get someone to build them a smart wearable. It needs to be classy and it needs to be complete.

7)All future BB10 devices need a minimum of 4GB of RAM and 128GB of storage, and the ability to add another 128GB by way of MicroSD card. They should also have a fingerprint scanner, low-energy Bluetooth and WiFi, NFC and wireless charging.

8)While the on-screen BB10 keyboard is great at word prediction, it can�t quite match a Swype-style keyboard. BlackBerry needs to remedy this. There�s no reason they can�t accommodate both methods using the same keyboard.

9)BlackBerry needs to partner with Visa or MasterCard to come up with an NFC-based payment system. Not sure if Android Pay would be an option, but since BB10 currently has an Android runtime, it might be a natural (short-term) solution.

10)Lastly, they need to believe in themselves! With a QNX-based mobile OS, BlackBerry security and a great USABLE keyboard on a great phone, BlackBerry would be in a position to steal back the loyalty of those who are frustrated by the iOS �golden cage�, Android �security nightmare� and Microsoft �always version 1.0� platforms. BLACKBERRY, DON�T THROW AWAY YOUR MOST VALUABLE ASSET!
    Well said. I'd add you to my contacts anytime buddy.

Authored via вιaсĸвεггч� Q❿
    sid89 and raves68 like this.
    03-14-16 04:59 PM
    Very nicely and precisely stated points. People saying why BlackBerry should do devlopment for the 1% of the share. I would say why not??. Any mobile industry started from scratch when the share was 0%. I know people will say now the competition is too high, so situations cannot be compared. However they are better than scratch here, BlackBerry has a great OS, why not preserve and improve it. They should be focused on boosting the app ecosystem around it. Sales will definitely improve. Plus they need right marketting stratergy. If its only for corporates then they will be satisfied witj their market share but if they are targetting from a corporate to a normal user they need to work in this area.
    And in this post the points are exactly targetting those areas...
    BB10 is by far a secure and robust low resource consuming OS. Look at andriod phone with high processing units big RAMs still phone hangs. This Os doesnt
    Hope BlackBerry folks listen to loyal constumers

Posted via CB10
    sid89 likes this.
    03-20-16 05:54 PM
    They should be focused on boosting the app ecosystem around it. Sales will definitely improve.
    I want to know how you expect Blackberry to make software companies write apps for BB10. Facebook just gave BB a DOUBLE middle finger last week, and more are going to follow before this year is over.

Can Blackberry just write its own apps using other companies' intellectual property without their permission? Sure they can! But they will get sued into oblivion for doing so. Thus, it is up to the app developers to make their apps for BB10, not Blackberry. Please enlighten us how they can be swayed, since you make it sound so easy.
    MikeX74 likes this.
    03-20-16 07:10 PM
    If you read the post, it has good information on how it can be achieved.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-16 09:53 PM

I hope I�m not proceeding from a false assumption that BlackBerry isn�t selling as many Android-based phones as they had hoped. But even if the Priv is pretty successful, there are many reasons to consider a recommitment to BB10, technical and otherwise. This isn�t meant to be a complete mobile operating system comparison, merely my overall feeling about the current situation. I�m pretty busy right now, so I can�t respond in a timely fashion, but please feel free to correct any misstatements I�ve made.

First, the technical. Consider this: BB10 is based on QNX, an operating system used in bullet trains, nuclear power stations and space systems. Combined with BlackBerry�s security, this is BY FAR the best mobile operating system ever created by man.

Although others have criticized BB10�s user interface, I find it fast and efficient, especially the app switcher. No other platform can beat BB10�s simple gestures. (webOS had it, but, well, sigh�) You can operate BB10 without ever having to press buttons (virtual or otherwise), which means you never need to *look* for buttons. You can even optionally turn on the display with a single swipe. Switching apps is instantaneous. One great feature of BB10 is that you can do a �partial swipe-up� to highlight the status bar (which is otherwise partly obscured by the background image). If you swipe-up and hold your thumb on the screen, BB10 will underlay the status bar on top with a black bar to make it easier to see the date/time and battery status. Also, you can do a swipe-up and partial swipe to the right to catch a glimpse of the BlackBerry Hub in case you just want to see what new notifications are there. If, while still keeping your thumb on the screen, you swipe left and release, the Hub will be hidden again and you�ll remain where you were. While this sort of operation can be done with other platforms using the pull-down notification bar, it�s obviously easier to do this from the bottom.

BB10 is hardcore stable. I�ve gone *weeks* without having to reboot it. I can�t say that about any other mobile OS I�ve used. Usually, I only have to reboot it if I�m having a Bluetooth issue, but hey, Bluetooth.

As for the iPhone, Apple has packed on more and more features, but many have described the current UI as a �mess�. Much of it is unintuitive. They had to add a new gesture to make it easier to switch apps; clearly, they didn�t do it right the first time. Under the hood, iOS is fairly efficient, but most iOS apps were written with Objective C. This language uses message passing rather than method calling and this opens up a number of vulnerabilities. This is one of the reasons Apple created Swift. In the meantime, hackers can exploit Objective C (and have). Over the years, Apple has added restrictions to iOS to harden it against attack, but many feel they�ve gone too far (e.g., Swype-style keyboard restrictions, email attachments, etc). Do I need to mention the iTunes requirement? One of the most reviled software programs of all time. (Full disclosure: I�m currently using iTunes to play podcasts on Windows 10 until Grover Pro�s bugs are worked out. It isn�t bad for that, at least� )

Google has improved Android significantly over the years, but the vast majority of apps require a virtual machine runtime which imposes delays due to garbage collection, isolation, authentication, etc. And Android apps are written in Java, which has been plagued with security problems for years. I don�t need to document the field day hackers have had in the Google Play Store. Conversely, most BlackBerry apps are natively written and are managed directly by the BB10 operating system. Apps running on newer Android phones are still prone to crash unceremoniously, and the dreaded �Google Play Services has stopped� error is still a common sighting. And one problem I�m still hearing from people using newer flagships is that Google still hasn�t fixed the slows-down-over-time problem, despite adding a NAND flash RAM system fix. I think this is inherent in Android itself. My BlackBerry Z30 hasn�t exhibited this problem, despite being at least 18 months old.

Regarding the Android-based Priv, BlackBerry had to add security mechanisms to bring it up to muster, but it remains to be seen how successful this was. It�s like putting lipstick on a pig. BB10 was written from the ground up to accommodate BlackBerry�s legendary security � no compromises.

Windows 10 Mobile relies on Microsoft�s Universal Windows Platform runtime which is .NET based and is similar to Java. Apps are first converted into bytecode, then compiled to machine language. While compiled bytecode is fairly efficient, it can�t beat a true, native compiled app. And the app switching paradigm is *terrible* on Windows Mobile. So, let me get this straight. You have to locate the tiny Back button. Then you have to press and hold it? Wait, I didn�t hold it long enough? Oops, let�s try that again. Ok, so I got it right this time. Now, since only one full app tile is being shown to me at a time, I have to swipe and swipe until I find the app I want and then I can finally activate it. Yay! How easy! Sarcasm aside, it�s easier to just hit the Home button (if you can find it) and re-select the tile. That is, if you can find the tile (it�s often way down the home screen and possibly transparent).

BB10 also blows Apple and Microsoft out of the water in various other ways. I can put a TrueCrypt volume on my Z30, and mount it directly from my PC and use any file manager or sync tool I want. (Windows Mobile allows you to cut/copy/paste files to/from your PC, but you can�t mount a file system. Apple doesn�t allow you to cut/copy/paste at all. It�s iTunes or go home.) BlackBerry managed to make this work securely. When the phone is connected thus, you�re prohibited from accessing system volumes. Everything is secure behind encryption and/or compartmentalization, and you can even manually set up IP ranges or MAC addresses if you want. As far as Android is concerned, it wasn�t until Marshmallow was released that Google took app permissions seriously. BB10 has allowed users to restrict individual app permissions from day one (if I�m not mistaken). Windows 10 Mobile doesn�t appear to let you modify permissions at all (other than to prohibit individual apps from running in the background). (Obviously, Android apps running on BB10 pose a privacy risk, which is why I�d like to see Android support go away eventually.)

With the exception of app availability (which isn�t as terrible as some say), BlackBerry offers a great alternative to their competitors, combining great hardware variation, user-friendly operation, great PC integration, great hardcore security (both in-device and when connected to said companion devices via USB or WiFi), respect from corporate leaders and governments all over the world, a commitment to keep your data secure, great corporate account integration and increasing Enterprise capabilities. Since BB10 is QNX-based, it would be easy for BlackBerry to add real-time virtual reality headset, wearable or IoT interaction using the new low-energy WiFi standard coming along. (I�ve used Bluetooth enough to not trust it for that.)

Many of the problems with BlackBerry�s competitors� solutions can be fixed by them, but BlackBerry can (and must) also make several changes. These changes are necessary if they don�t want to be relegated to the same junk-heap as Commodore, Atari, and Palm. (Sorry, but several of my previous suggestions still stand�)

1) Write an iOS-to-BB10 bridge, like Microsoft is doing for Windows 10 Mobile. They should start with Objective C rather than Swift (since the majority of iOS apps are written in the former language), and add Swift support afterwards. I used to work for a company that (prior to my arrival) had written a mainframe program that automatically rewrote COBOL spaghetti code into readable code (removing GOTO's, etc). If this can be done, an iOS-to-BB10 bridge can be done.

2) Get Microsoft/Xamarin to add BB10 support to the Visual Studio/Xamarin platform. Pay them and/or donate developers to the cause to get this done. (I know there�s a Visual Studio plug-in available, but it doesn�t look like it�s been updated for a while�) If Microsoft incorporates Xamarin�s features and functionality into Visual Studio at little to no cost, many developers will jump on board when building new apps. Why wouldn�t they? A single codebase to target *every* platform? If Microsoft isn�t willing to play ball, BlackBerry could still write a UWP-to-BB10 bridge. All code in Visual Studio is textual (XAML for the front-end, C#, C++, BASIC or Javascript for the code behind � everything except for resources like graphics).

3) Add Continuum functionality to BB10. Of all the mobile operating systems out there, BB10 is the closest to being a real personal computer (at least in terms of security and robustness). BlackBerry Blend already allows for much of this, but Continuum would be a natural extension. Many (all?) BB10 devices already support HDMI, but Continuum adds additional necessary functionality like allowing for an expanded desktop, use of the phone as a touchpad, etc. Obviously, BlackBerry would have to call it something other than Continuum, say Heads Up.

4) Release a high-quality 5.7" or 6� flagship phone with a horizontal slider keyboard. Sorry, putting Android on a phone that has that tiny cramped portrait keyboard on it doesn't make it any more palatable for me, or likely millions of other people who want a pain-free typing experience. I�ve said it before: BlackBerry has enough experience (and patents) to make a horizontal slider actually work. A 5.7� phone with a horizontal slider keyboard would be HEAVENLY! They shouldn�t worry about weight, but thickness. A thick but light phone won�t work in tight pants, but a thin, heavy one will. The Passport was a good stopgap, but I think the keyboard is still too small. Many people let hardware drive their purchasing decisions, so it�s critical that BlackBerry have something powerful, easy to use, and striking. This would do it.

5) Since Android support will likely be required for the near future to cover the �app-gap�, they shouldn�t bother bumping up the Android runtime (for BB10 devices) to Lollipop or Marshmallow. Instead, they should beef up the ability to handle Google Play Store API calls. The iOS bridge and Xamarin goals are far better long-term solutions than maintaining the dead weight of Android, but we need the compatibility in the meantime. Chasing the Play Store API is futile in the long run, but it�s worth it in the short term. Many apps won�t even run if they don�t see they have Play Store access. (If I were BlackBerry, I would cut off Android support by the end of 2018. The aforementioned bridges (plus some developer consideration) will take over after that. BlackBerry can offer incentives to make this happen)

6) They need to get someone to build them a smart wearable. It needs to be classy and it needs to be complete.

7) All future BB10 devices need a minimum of 4GB of RAM and 128GB of storage, and the ability to add another 128GB by way of MicroSD card. They should also have a fingerprint scanner, low-energy Bluetooth and WiFi, NFC and wireless charging.

8) While the on-screen BB10 keyboard is great at word prediction, it can�t quite match a Swype-style keyboard. BlackBerry needs to remedy this. There�s no reason they can�t accommodate both methods using the same keyboard.

9) BlackBerry needs to partner with Visa or MasterCard to come up with an NFC-based payment system. Not sure if Android Pay would be an option, but since BB10 currently has an Android runtime, it might be a natural (short-term) solution.

10) Lastly, they need to believe in themselves! With a QNX-based mobile OS, BlackBerry security and a great USABLE keyboard on a great phone, BlackBerry would be in a position to steal back the loyalty of those who are frustrated by the iOS �golden cage�, Android �security nightmare� and Microsoft �always version 1.0� platforms. BLACKBERRY, DON�T THROW AWAY YOUR MOST VALUABLE ASSET!
    GOOD GOD!!! BB10 IS DEAD!!!!! Life will be better when you just face it. LOL
    03-20-16 10:32 PM
    If you read the post, it has good information on how it can be achieved.

Posted via CB10
    I did read it. And i say yet again, it all hinges around forcing companies who don't give a rats a55 about blackberry to go out of their way and spend their own money and time to support a platform they aren't interested in. If it were that easy it would have been done already.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-21-16 04:05 AM
    GOOD GOD!!! BB10 IS DEAD!!!!! Life will be better when you just face it. LOL
    What???? You saying like u r nostradamus

Posted via CB10
    03-21-16 09:47 AM
    What???? You saying like u r nostradamus

Posted via CB10
    You dont need to be Nostradamus to see the direction that BB has been headed in for the last 7-8 years. But hey, There is still 15-20 of you that believe BB will regain at least some of it's former glory. I've sunk enough money into the BB eco system. Between Phones, Playbooks, and apps. enough is enough.
    03-21-16 08:54 PM
    Then what you doing here?

Posted via CB10
    03-22-16 11:39 AM
75 123