I don't think Mr Chen should have gone on the blog and taken shots at T mobile especially after T Mobile's CEO had said that he has heard BlackBerry fans loud and clear.
    Not only had he accepted the issue but was trying to work it out.
    BlackBerry needs Tmobile much more than T mobile needs them.. In the end I think it ended up looking bad for Mr Chen when he said that next time Mr Chen should call him !! instead of blogging.
    And I think he was right...Right and professional way is to call the counterpart even if you think T mobile was wrong in promoting that offer.

Posted via CB10
    milo53 likes this.
    02-23-14 10:08 PM
    You know what, I don't think BlackBerry needs T-Mobile more. T-Mobile doesn't need BlackBerry, but BlackBerry's market share in the US is **** anyways, and the majority of the market share come from the big three carries.

My 2 cents.

Posted via CB10
    Carjackd, CDM76 and anon(4185604) like this.
    02-23-14 10:14 PM
    OP you may be partially right. However, should TMO CEO make that call first since his people screw it up? TMO doesn't want to carry BlackBerry that's fine. People can always order online.

? CB10 ?
    02-23-14 10:24 PM
    You know what, I don't think BlackBerry needs T-Mobile more. T-Mobile doesn't need BlackBerry, but BlackBerry's market share in the US is **** anyways, and the majority of the market share come from the big three carries.

My 2 cents.

Posted via CB10
    That may be the case, but BB may need TMO in the future. I think Chen successfully burned that bridge.

TMO was in the process of dealing with the situation, he should of allowed it to play out, and contact TMO on a professional level for a resolution, IMO.

Don't see how BB will ever benifit from that exchange.
    02-24-14 01:15 AM
    That may be the case, but BB may need TMO in the future. I think Chen successfully burned that bridge.

TMO was in the process of dealing with the situation, he should of allowed it to play out, and contact TMO on a professional level for a resolution, IMO.

Don't see how BB will ever benifit from that exchange.
    Burned that bridge ? Between TMO and BB, I don't see any bridge around here. The ropes were already cut, Chen just put it in evidence.
    web99, CDM76 and Omnitech like this.
    02-24-14 01:38 AM
    I feel T-Mobile started this whole thing with the ad they ran. I don't by the excuse that T-Mobile's CEO did not know about the ad. Mr. Chen had to respond otherwise BB would be sending the message to all other carriers that this is an accepted practice. Regardless of the market share at this time BB has to stand firm and make the carriers honor their contracts. As things improve with BB the carriers will want BB on the shelves again. I don't think Mr. Chen looked bad I think T-Mobile did if they truly have things like this happening without the knowledge of senior management. Rocking 24-7 with my Z10 & 64GB Playbook.
    loyalIND, Omnitech, CDM76 and 1 others like this.
    02-24-14 01:39 AM
    Chen's behavior is typical of BBRY. Over the past several years BBRY has shown dismal management failure beginning with the Board of Directors keeping the co-CEo's on far too long (and living in denial of profound changes in the wireless industry) and continuing with the appointment of Heins, another do-nothing CEO. Chen is yet another failure in the making - instead of forthrightly announcing some changes he takes potshots at someone (Legere) who really doesn't care whether BBRY lives or dies. TMO has less than 1-2 million BB users in the US out of a total of 35 million total (numbers from their SEC filings) and here we have yet another pathetic BBRY CEO living in some fantasy world where he tjinks he doesn't need US carriers. As I write this, ATT is also beginning to abandon BBRY too. The whole lot of BBRY directors and managers need to wake up and smell the roses.
    02-24-14 04:13 AM
    If Chen can make BlackBerry device trendy again, then T-Mobile will bow down their head begging for BlackBerry devices.

First thing first, make BlackBerry trendy again please.

Hammered out from Z-thirty
    02-24-14 04:45 AM

My 2 cents.

Posted via CB10
    I think I heard T-Mobile is number 3 now. Sprint isn't doing too hot.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 06:28 AM
    Mr. Chen did not take shots at T-Mobile's CEO, especially for T-Mobile's bone head move that ultimately backfired. Recommending an inferior product (iPhones) to replace superior products (BlackBerry 10) was outright ridiculous, and gives us BlackBerry users the impression that T-Mobile doesn't keep us in high regard.

Mr. Chen was professional in his blog post, quite elegant, well worded and thought out speech. BRAVO to him for not lashing out on T-Mobile which deserved a strong lash.
    Omnitech likes this.
    02-24-14 06:54 AM
    The relationship was pretty much over once T-Mobile removed BBRY devices from its stores.

My view was that once that promotion was announced, Chen had no option but to call them out on it.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    CDM76 and Omnitech like this.
    02-24-14 10:53 PM
    Chen's behavior is typical of BBRY. Over the past several years BBRY has shown dismal management failure beginning with the Board of Directors keeping the co-CEo's on far too long (and living in denial of profound changes in the wireless industry) and continuing with the appointment of Heins, another do-nothing CEO. Chen is yet another failure in the making - instead of forthrightly announcing some changes he takes potshots at someone (Legere) who really doesn't care whether BBRY lives or dies. TMO has less than 1-2 million BB users in the US out of a total of 35 million total (numbers from their SEC filings) and here we have yet another pathetic BBRY CEO living in some fantasy world where he tjinks he doesn't need US carriers. As I write this, ATT is also beginning to abandon BBRY too. The whole lot of BBRY directors and managers need to wake up and smell the roses.
    So.....I respect your opinion, but disagree completely with what you say about John Chen. He is out of the top drawer and cannot be lumped in with the management that went before. I just watched the CNN interview he did yesterday and he did not use any corporate speak or duck any questions. He said simply "IF" his plans work (and followed this up by saying "and that's a big IF") corporate customers will regain confidence in Blackberry's long term survival and therefore might be tempted to invest in Blackberry software and hardware.

I met the UK CEO of Deloittes (an accountancy practice with thousands of devices.) He had a Bold 9900 but said they were not confident Blackberry would be around for long. That is exactly what JC knows he needs to address.

I really like my Z10, I have an iPad Air but would not want an iPhone as my phone - iOS is simple but painful to use (I love the BB keyboard and the little useability tricks like sliding the time forward on the calendar to change the time of an appointment.) When the Z10 replacement comes out I am in and if you can be bothered to look at my historic posts (which I do NOT recommend) I was very close to going iPhone. Delighted I didn't.
    02-27-14 04:44 AM
    ...and John Chen did not start it with T-Mobile, he just continued the conversation. If he doesn't stand up for Blackberry, no one will. He's the kind of guy Blackberry staff will go over the top of the trenches for.
    CDM76, Omnitech and Jrox74 like this.
    02-27-14 04:46 AM
    Totally disagree.

T-Mobile and Legere's actions are despicable.

Only the kind of people who are perennial Blackberry critics seem to not see this.
    02-27-14 06:27 AM
    Quite frankly I found Chen's response, the first out of Waterloo in a very long time with cojones attached to it, quite refreshing. I'm proud that he stepped up.

What was what's his face at T-Mo thinking anyway? He seems to be an over the top type based on what I've read about him; perhaps a polar opposite in experience and style from Chen?
    allengeorge likes this.
    02-27-14 02:57 PM
    Quite frankly I found Chen's response, the first out of Waterloo in a very long time with cojones attached to it, quite refreshing. I'm proud that he stepped up.

What was what's his face at T-Mo thinking anyway? He seems to be an over the top type based on what I've read about him; perhaps a polar opposite in experience and style from Chen?

Agreed.

One of the things that has long appealed to me about Blackberry in general, is that they are generally straight-shooters. Not these insincere, BS'ing, phony, two-faced jerks that so many companies seem to project the image of.

The flip side of that is they often come across as insulated, bumbling nerds who don't understand the needs and desires of the mass market, and who have a bad habit of delivering products late and buggy. (This could have been exacerbated by the BB10 transition and their limited resources)

It appears that Chen is maintaining the tradition of straightforwardness, in fact probably expanding on that. While being a little less of a nerd, more strategic, more personality, better at hitting targets and possibly better in the product QA area too.

They still don't have real mass-market savvy but at the moment that's not such an issue because they are in "hunker-down" mode. When they are ready to make a push for the mass market again, I hope they rectify that part too, and hire some truly creative people to invent unique things instead of just bolting on features the competitors already have.
    RJB55 likes this.
    02-27-14 06:29 PM
    It was a very Steve Jobs type response. Chen is bringing personality into the company.
    anon(4185604) likes this.
    02-27-14 06:41 PM
    It was a very Steve Jobs type response. Chen is bringing personality into the company.
    I second this.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-14 06:47 PM
    Mr. Chen did not take shots at T-Mobile's CEO, especially for T-Mobile's bone head move that ultimately backfired. Recommending an inferior product (iPhones) to replace superior products (BlackBerry 10) was outright ridiculous, and gives us BlackBerry users the impression that T-Mobile doesn't keep us in high regard.
    T-Mobile is a cell carrier. They keep money in high regard, not smartphone user groups.

As for the deal backfiring, I'm not sure it did. T-Mobile is no worse off now than it was before, and if Chen's outrage brought more attention to T-Mobile's trade-in offer than it was otherwise receiving, the whole hubbub probably helped.
    02-27-14 07:18 PM
    Steve Jobs never got caught up in battling cell phone carriers. He did have some exchanges regarding the music industry and Adobe Flash, but it was never something like "I'm outraged that [insert vendor] is offering our customers competing products." On the contrary, Jobs was arrogant enough to believe that his company's products would win any comparison, so he invited it.
    02-27-14 07:23 PM
    Steve Jobs never got caught up in battling cell phone carriers.

Yeah, yanno like negotiating unique deals with them that cost them billions of dollars of lost revenue due to very high subsidy costs compared with all other smartphones, pressuring them to turn over control of OS updates to Apple (unique in the industry, pretty much), competing with them on content sales, etc etc.

Jobs let the carriers do whatever they want.
    02-27-14 07:28 PM
    Steve Jobs never got caught up in battling cell phone carriers.
    He totally did. He was brutally heavy handed in the negotiations over the iPhone. It's a pretty cool chapter in his autobiography. In the end, it gave Apple a lot of control.

BlackBerry bent over backwards to get the carriers to carry them. It helped the sales for years but resulted in problems like the fragmented platform and the whole update debacle we see now where the US carriers have control over the updates and can't be bothered to release.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-14 07:32 PM
    I dunno...I was glad to see Chan step up like a man/leader!

Posted Via my Kick @ss BlackBerry Z30
    02-27-14 07:36 PM
    I think I heard T-Mobile is number 3 now. Sprint isn't doing too hot.

Posted via CB10
    Nope, still number 4 in US, but gaining on Sprint, Sprint is in the Middle of massive network upgrades and expected to lose subscribers during the upgrades but actually gained some.
    02-27-14 07:48 PM